As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Swarms of things that could wipe out humanity

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
The zombie thread isn't very interesting. Chiefly because our best defense against zombie's is that zombie's are rather biologically improbable. And anyway, it's really asking the wrong question - the real question is, given a massive swarm of X, how would you/we/humanity survive it?

Hence, in this thread we discuss not zombie's, but general swarms of things which would either wipe out humanity, or enslave us, and how we can defeat them.

Some initial suggestions are: army ants, killer bees, ordinary citizens reprogrammed en masse into customized serial killers.

In the case of the army ants and killer bees, we are assuming either: they gain enough group cognizance to realize they can exterminate the homo sapien, or that someone deliberately breeds them en masse and then releases them onto an unsuspecting world.

Personally, I'm scared of the army ants. Organized attack and defense formations, massive numbers, build temporary nests and bridges out of themselves. Now imagine that we suddenly release trillions into New York. Yeah...we'd be fucked.

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just get an anti-ant suit and start sprayin' them ants with chemicals

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Zzulu wrote:
    Just get an anti-ant suit and start sprayin' them ants with chemicals
    Go for the queen!

Aldo on
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't forget nanobots.

Nanobots running Microsoft Windows.

mcc on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't think you appreciate them enough: [quote=http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/ants/army/index.html]
    Because of their large colony size, army ants migrate in order to find food. They may raid other colonies and capture slaves. During the nomadic phase, army ants march at night and stop to camp in daylight. The colony starts its stationary phase when the need for food decreases. Then they make temporary nests, and change the nest everyday. Each of these rampages lasts for about seventeen days. Some say that army ants may have a collective intelligence

Army ants kill and eat up to 100,000 animals in a day. Together they can kill lizards, snakes, chickens, pigs, goats, scorpions, and many other animals. They also climb trees and eat birds plus insects that may live in trees.[/quote]

I'm basically saying, if they upped and decided humanity had to go...

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Golden GodGolden God Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Army ants are really not that bad. They tend to only attack things that are in their way. I was watching some National Geo, and they were studying the patterns of army ants. Most people just move out of their way and because of the scouts you tend to know when they are coming. Some people welcome them as a type of spring cleaning cause they will go through homes and offices cleaning out all the other insects and any rodents they run across. Now if you want an ant to worry about look up the jack-jumpers of Australia. Those guys are mean and I believe kill more people then sharks

Now the only thing I am worried about wiping out humanity is the normal person under mob mentality. I’m just waiting till a major plague scare or something causes anarchy on a global scale. People hear new out break of killer virus A, or heck even zombie out break and people who don’t know that they are carriers say to themselves "crap on that" and run for another country deemed safe.

Golden God on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mcc wrote:
    Don't forget nanobots.

Nanobots running Microsoft Windows.
    It should be taken as a given that our best defense against nanobots is that I haven't made them yet :twisted:

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Also just adding this cause I cant edit. Even tho it says 100,000 animals a day. Alot of those are insects and things too stupid to get out the way. Thats why they migrate they tend to eat / scare off most things in an area.

Golden God on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    aliens.jpg

They could be considered a swarm type enemy, right? They also spread like a wildire

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Zzulu wrote:
    aliens.jpg

They could be considered a swarm type enemy, right? They also spread like a wildire
    Aliens aliens are de facto exterminators of mankind.

EDIT: Anything with a backup mouth has to be awesomely apocalyptic.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The zombie thread isn't very interesting. Chiefly because our best defense against zombie's is that zombie's are rather biologically improbable. And anyway, it's really asking the wrong question - the real question is, given a massive swarm of X, how would you/we/humanity survive it?

Hence, in this thread we discuss not zombie's, but general swarms of things which would either wipe out humanity, or enslave us, and how we can defeat them.

Some initial suggestions are: army ants, killer bees, ordinary citizens reprogrammed en masse into customized serial killers.

Gibbons.

gibbons.jpg
    A swarm of gibbons could take out Indonesia's 200 mil in under a week. And then we'd be next.

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Low Key wrote:

Gibbons.

gibbons.jpg
    A swarm of gibbons could take out Indonesia's 200 mil in under a week. And then we'd be next.
    That picture fails at making afraid. Details plskthx.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Low Key wrote:

Gibbons.

gibbons.jpg

They have wrists like shoulders

Low Key on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wasn't there some short story about a rancher in Brazil who had to figth off swarms of ants?
    [url]
    http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lvta.html[/url]

There ya go. Good god, I'm peddling literature now.

Munacra on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Low Key wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

Gibbons.

gibbons.jpg

You're doing a very poor job of making them sound any more dangerous.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Low Key wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

Gibbons.

gibbons.jpg

They have amazing singing voices

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Low Key wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    Low Key wrote:

Gibbons.

gibbons.jpg

They have amazing singing voices

They would use their voices to lull lonley soildiers to their doom. Then they would use there Superior Simian intelligencetm. To learn how to use or most deadly weapons.

Golden God on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Other then a swarm of rocks hurtling towards our planet, I can't think of anything conceivable that could overcome mankind's instinct to survive, acquire possessions and be assholes.

Meiz on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does a super virus count as a swarm?

I think that although some kind of human eating ant might be dangerous it could be beaten, simply because of our ability to coordinate with each other and evacuate areas where the Ants attacked leaving them to starve. Also anti-ant battlesuits could be produced, allowing soldiers to attack the ants in safety, killing queens and disrupting the search for food.

Perhaps more realistically some kind of out of control Algae bloom might smother the worlds oceans wiping out all life there, I dont know what we could do about that.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does it kill phytoplankton? Yeah, we're pretty much dead.

Agem on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Low Key wrote:

Gibbons.

gibbons.jpg

I once went on a tour of a Monkey Sanctuary on a visit to South Africa. We were in a group of about 15-20 people, walking through the forest.

All throughout, this Gibbon that I am told is called Bruno is following our "party" through the forest. Then, suddenly, dude swings down from the tree he's in, runs up to ME, grabs my trousers with his little hands and bites me on the outside thigh.

Luckily where he bit was protected by my wallet.

It's a really odd scenario now that I think about it.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Agem wrote:
    Does it kill phytoplankton? Yeah, we're pretty much dead.

My idea would be like what can happen in a river with huge amounts of fertiliser runoff. Algae blooms like mad, bacteria arive and kill it all, rotting algae combined with the sunlight being blocked out exterminates pretty much all life.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    :lol:

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Adrenaline wrote:
    :lol:

Quoteworthy comments right there.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Munacra wrote:
    Wasn't there some short story about a rancher in Brazil who had to figth off swarms of ants?

Leiningen versus the Ants
    Yeah, my first thought when I read Elec's OP was to go looking for that story.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Munacra wrote:
    [url]
    http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lvta.html[/url]

There ya go. Good god, I'm peddling literature now.

Didn't Richard Dead Anderson end up fighting off a swarm of army ants attacking a plantation? Lets start showing it in school as a training video.

Golem on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Has anyone said "normal humans" yet? I'm sure it's been said, but I'll say it anyway.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Has anyone said "normal humans" yet? I'm sure it's been said, but I'll say it anyway.

I was going to say stupid humans, terrorists, and foreigners.

I do not think we need to worry about, however, a swarm of foreigner:

foreigner.jpg

_J_ on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guys, I just found out!
    Earth is already swarming with violent humans! AHAAAAAAAA! It's already started!

I'd be terrified if there were an explosion in the baboon population and they started overrunning cities. Those fuckers are MEAN.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    I've always been partial to "swarm of golfball-sized rocks moving at relativistic velocity".

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    _J_ wrote:
    I do not think we need to worry about, however, a swarm of Foreigner . . .
    I don't know. I bet if we were faced off against them, Than would probably go over to their side, betraying us and dooming the human race.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    I don't know. I bet if we were faced off against them, Than would probably go over to their side, betraying us and dooming the human race.

If they used the Foreigner belt...we'd all be doomed.

_J_ on
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Haha hey guys.

Are we talking about bees? Ants too? Hahahaha oh no! watch out! better take cover! Not ants!

This thread wins.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    You know, they've been waiting for a girl like you.

To come into their lives.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shoggoth wrote:
    Haha hey guys.

Are we talking about bees? Ants too? Hahahaha oh no! watch out! better take cover! Not ants!

This thread wins.

*looks around*

*Pushes Shoggoth into a swarm of army ants*

*Watches as Shoggoth dies*

Oh no! Not ants! I mean they can only kill just about any animal/human in their path! Why would you be afraid of that?

Golem on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shoggoth wrote:
    Haha hey guys.

This thread wins.
    Then, as he rode past the stretch where the ants had failed to cross the day before, he witnessed a brief but impressive scene. Down the slope of the distant hill there came towards him a singular being, writhing rather than running, an animal-like blackened statue with shapeless head and four quivering feet that knuckled under almost ceaselessly. When the creature reached the far bank of the ditch and collapsed opposite Leiningen, he recognized it as a pampas stag, covered over and over with ants.

It had strayed near the zone of the army. As usual, they had attacked its eyes first. Blinded, it had reeled in the madness of hideous torment straight into the ranks of its persecutors, and now the beast swayed to and fro in its death agony.

With a shot from his rifle Leiningen put it out of its misery. Then he pulled out his watch. He hadn't a second to lose, but for life itself he could not have denied his curiosity the satisfaction of knowing how long the ants would take - for personal reasons, so to speak. After six minutes the white polished bones alone remained. That's how he himself would look before you can . . . Leiningen spat once, and put spurs to his horse.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Golem wrote:
    Shoggoth wrote:
    Haha hey guys.

This thread wins.

*looks around*

*Pushes Shoggoth into a swarm of army ants*

*Watches as Shoggoth dies*

Oh no! Not ants! I mean they can only kill just about any animal/human in their path! Why would you be afraid of that?

umm... they can't really. If backward ass tribes with no technology can live with army and driver ants, I don't think they would be too much of a threat.

Course, they are almost totally controled by pheromones, so if you were to MG up some nasty ants that are attracted to pheromones that humans give off, then they could be a bit more of a threat.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Until 2002, the largest known ant colony was on the Ishikari coast of Hokkaidō, Japan. The colony was estimated to comprise of 306 million worker ants and 1 million queen ants living in 45,000 interconnected nests over an area of 2.7 km². In 2002, a super-colony of connected nests was found to stretch nearly 6000 km across Europe.Another, measuring approximately 100 km wide, was found beneath Melbourne, Australia in 2004.
    OMG HUEHGH
    P1010139.JPG

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pah, it would take about a million ants to even aim a gun at me, much less fire it. And while they're busy doing that I sort of scoot off to the side and kick the gun out of their hands.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Unless you push me into a swimming pool filled to the brim with ants I'm pretty sure I can just stand up and run away, or just walk. I'd be more afraid of the bees, you could argue a much better case for the bees.

Did any one see the episode of Macguyver where a swarm of army ants attacks some village? I'm pretty sure if Macguyver ever faced it, it's probably not a real threat.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Killer bees? The killer bee movies scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. And I'm allergic, so they'd only have to send one bee to take me out.

If that ever happens, I say we take off and nuke the place from orbit.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg