As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Swarms of things that could wipe out humanity

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Republicans.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Republicans.

Irradiated mutant Republicans.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Golem wrote:
    Munacra wrote:
    Wasn't there some short story about a rancher in Brazil who had to figth off swarms of ants?
    [url]
    http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lvta.html[/url]

There ya go. Good god, I'm peddling literature now.

Didn't Richard Dead Anderson end up fighting off a swarm of army ants attacking a plantation? Lets start showing it in school as a training video.

Macgyver fought off a swarm of army ants? Did he do it by getting together normal house appliances and truning them into a super powered flamethrower?

Btw, what level of General is he in SG1 now? And what are the levels of general, from lowest to highest? Does anyone know?

Johannen on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Shoggoth wrote:
    Republicans.

Irradiated mutant Republicans.

so, neo-cons?

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How about dogs with bees in their mouths? So that when they bark, they shoot bees at you.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Elendil wrote:
    How about dogs with bees in their mouths? So that when they bark, they shoot bees at you.

Release the hounds.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    _J_ wrote:
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    I do not think we need to worry about, however, a swarm of Foreigner . . .
    I don't know. I bet if we were faced off against them, Than would probably go over to their side, betraying us and dooming the human race.

If they used the Foreigner belt...we'd all be doomed.

"I don't need instructions to know how to ROCK!!!"

MikeMan on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I went to Costa Rica on a trip and I saw "Bullet Ants" there.

They might not be able to wipe out humanity, but people there who had been bitten by one described it similar to a bad cigarette burn.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always thought it'd be freaky if squirrels were carnivores and hunted in packs.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    thorpe wrote:
    Those ants really got a good thing going there. I wouldn't mess it up by trying to do the same thing with a human baby. They'd find it doesn't have the same perks.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Lucky7Lucky7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RandomEngy wrote:
    Pah, it would take about a million ants to even aim a gun at me, much less fire it. And while they're busy doing that I sort of scoot off to the side and kick the gun out of their hands.
    Like this?
    PBF001AD-Mice_Gun.jpg

Lucky7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Has anyone pointed out the cunning tactic of walking out of reach of the ants? Those guys ain't fast.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jragghen wrote:
    I always thought it'd be freaky if squirrels were carnivores and hunted in packs.

Dont even joke.
    brains1.jpg

Lucky7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    7.jpg

alternatively

Zerg.jpg

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Andrew_Jay wrote:
    Munacra wrote:
    Wasn't there some short story about a rancher in Brazil who had to figth off swarms of ants?

Leiningen versus the Ants
    Yeah, my first thought when I read Elec's OP was to go looking for that story.
    I had never read before this topic. I am glad that I did :^:

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Im at work and im bored...sue me ok? These would doom us for sure

Bunnies_never_close_doors.jpg

Lucky7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I wouldn't want to fight an army of marmots or beavers.

Nothing with huge, chisel-like teeth, basically. Marmots can also carry bubonic plague.

marmot.jpg

Queen ants can live up to twenty years . . . If you missed one, it could lie in wait, plotting.

Wasps are much scarier than bees because they don't die when they sting you. Also, they eat meat. Meat like YOU!

LadyM on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    birds.jpg

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    skimbleshanksskimbleshanks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    PipTheFair wrote:

Zerg.jpg

17thumb.jpg

For the Swarm!

skimbleshanks on
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    -Lao-tzu
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Speaking of swarms, hello SE.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Speaking of swarms, hello SE.

That's SE++ to you.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's an advert for Carling running in the UK right now that features footage of starlings swarming (or possibly flocking). If starlings could be modified to go for the eyes of humans, it would be like a Red Arrow display of death.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    tribblesso2.jpg

Gim on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Ever seen Arachnophobia? Spiders are not only fucking scary anyway but they can be deadly poisonous and even basic ones can get pretty fucking big. Not big enough to lift you up if you try to squash them but a flood of them coming at you? Yikes. Theyre' fucking fast too.

Plus lets face it, Spider-Man has been going how long? Those things are unkillable. Flatenned one once, it managed to have just flatenned itself out and come back for more once I took the flattening device away.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On a more serious note, the only animal I'm scared of is the disease carrying kind, probably because I live in a part of the world there's really nothing that can kill me, except for bears and they're pretty mellow.

The bird flu thing ended up fizzling, but that's one of those doomsday scenarios I can see panning out. Some god forsaken corner of the world where people breed some sort of super bug that's deadly to humans and benign to the animals, and it spreads like wildfire through some irrelevant population like sparrows or some such.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ever seen Arachnophobia? Spiders are not only fucking scary anyway but they can be deadly poisonous and even basic ones can get pretty fucking big. Not big enough to lift you up if you try to squash them but a flood of them coming at you? Yikes. Theyre' fucking fast too.

Plus lets face it, Spider-Man has been going how long? Those things are unkillable. Flatenned one once, it managed to have just flatenned itself out and come back for more once I took the flattening device away.

And every single spider explodes into a swarm of baby spiders when you kill it.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007

Was that in the film? Its been a while. All I know is I watched it as a kid and I've been terrified of Spiders since.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Was that in the film? Its been a while. All I know is I watched it as a kid and I've been terrified of Spiders since.

I don't think it did, but that would definately happen in the event of a swarm of deadly spiders.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    200px-Fireflyreaver.jpg

Reavers

"They'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing. And if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order."

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Sega MasterSega Master Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    nanites.jpg

nanites.jpg

T1000.jpg

Nanites... FROM THE FUTURE!

Sega Master on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Polar Bears.

They're invisible to infrared apparently. Or a bunch of those Polar-Grizzly hybrids like the one that got shot last year.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mind control parasites.

Seriously. Schizophrenia-causing toxoplasmosis. Lancet flukes that cause ants to get themselves eaten so the fluke has a warm intestine in which to lay eggs. Roach-riding wasps.

And holy fucking shit if those tearduct-drinking-moths don't creep me the shit out.

Heinlein was wrong, the puppet masters aren't aliens, they're going to evolve from terrestrial parasites. And then we'll all be doomed.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Personally, I'm scared of the army ants. Organized attack and defense formations, massive numbers, build temporary nests and bridges out of themselves. Now imagine that we suddenly release trillions into New York. Yeah...we'd be fucked.

The Siafu "Driver" ants of Africa should scare you more. They have far greater numbers (in upwards of 22 million per colony) than army ants and have actually been known to overwhelm cattle and even people, killing them through asphyxiation.

Glyph on
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only swarm that could ever put us in check is us, from our own overpopulation. Oh, and also the Zerg.

LiveWire on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LiveWire wrote:
    The only swarm that could ever put us in check is us, from our own overpopulation. Oh, and also the Zerg.
    And possibly vampires.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LiveWire wrote:
    And possibly vampires.

Please, Vampires are mostly incompetent. Of course, Slayers aren't much better, but whatever.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PipTheFair wrote:
    7.jpg

alternatively

Zerg.jpg

originally

queen_AlienPress.jpg

Glyph on
  • Options