Options

Emergency Kitten Adoption [1st Vet visit oh noes]

2»

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BTW, as far as toys go, invest in some of the small, squishy, sparkly balls. They've got like a foam core covered with a fuzz of shiny tinsel material. My cat loves no toy as much as those balls. They get good travel when batted, and are easy for a cat to pick up and carry with them.

Entriech on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My cat loves paper bags and boxes and the tabs from milk jugs. Also, good ol regular pieces of paper. Anything that makes crinkly noises put her in heaven.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My wife used to work at PetCo, so I know most of the standard advice. We got him on Saturday night, so I haven't been able to get him in to the vet because of the holiday. His eye seems better, but we don't know what shots he has had, so he needs to go anyway.

We're not going to declaw him, but I think I mentioned earlier he loves having his paws touched, so I don't think it will be too tough to just take the points off.

Sadly, a companion is not an option right now. My wife and I both graduate at the end of this semester and will be moving from Iowa to Greensboro or San Francisco. We weren't planning on having a cat until we moved - we were planning on buying a pair of purebred Abyssinian kittens once we moved. We lost our 19 year old Aby last March, and didn't want to get a new cat while we lived in "his space".

But we were open to the idea of emergency adoption - we couldn't let this little guy freeze or get beat up by our friends established cat.

He might get a companion later, but it will be a few months. Thankfully, I'm an indie developer with no local friends, so I spend most of my time at home. He also seems to be fairly independent - he loves attention but doesn't throw a fit when we're not showering him with it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The cat is orange. Name it...
    SNARF!

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    So far, this is the gassiest cat I've ever seen/smelled. My wife wanted to wait to name him, see what he's like, and if this keeps up he's going to be Gasbag, because seriously, wtf. I expect this is because he was starved for so long that yesterday he gorged himself. He's also really small, except for his big gut.

We're taking him to the vet on Tuesday to get him checked out. We think he has ear mites and some sort of eye infection, because he squints.

We clipped his nails - not much, just enough to take the points off so they don't go right through our clothes and flesh. He didn't object too much.

My cat farted out Satan's own breath for a year until we switched her from canned Whiskas food to raw chicken necks from the deli and dried food. Instant gasless cat.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sadly, a companion is not an option right now. My wife and I both graduate at the end of this semester and will be moving from Iowa to Greensboro or San Francisco. We weren't planning on having a cat until we moved - we were planning on buying a pair of purebred Abyssinian kittens once we moved. We lost our 19 year old Aby last March, and didn't want to get a new cat while we lived in "his space".

But we were open to the idea of emergency adoption - we couldn't let this little guy freeze or get beat up by our friends established cat.

He might get a companion later, but it will be a few months. Thankfully, I'm an indie developer with no local friends, so I spend most of my time at home. He also seems to be fairly independent - he loves attention but doesn't throw a fit when we're not showering him with it.

Out of curiosity, since you already have one cat and you aren't going to give it away in the future, what is holding you back from getting another? Is it the principle of the matter? In the great scheme of things there's not much difference between picking up a kitten from the street and getting one from a shelter, except sheer luck and perhaps their order in the queue (i.e., one cat was lucky enough to get put in the shelter, and taking one cat from a shelter means there's room for another in the future). Moving with one cat is the same thing as moving with two, isn't it?

If you are going to get a companion, I really would do so as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the higher the probability that instead of getting a companion you'll be getting a rival/enemy. You really don't want two cats who don't like each other in the same house. And yeah, cats are generally fine by themselves, but if you plan on keeping him indoors (which is probably best), then a companion will really make the quality of life a lot better - they both will be healthier, more sociable, and less reliant on you for entertainment and attention.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well moving with one cat is a pain. moving with two is 100 times worse.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well moving with one cat is a pain. moving with two is 100 times worse.

My two cats were in the very last car load when I moved houses last year. We had to pen them up while the movers took the house apart, and then make sure there was enough room in the last car for them and their crates.
    That was not an enjoyable car ride. And that was from neighboring states. Going cross-country as the OP says could be quite a task with one feline, let alone two.

And then there was the trial of having the cats adjust to the new house. They were both more than a little freaked out for a couple weeks. I think they both hid behind the washing machine for about a week.

If the OP is going to be home a lot to spend time with the new kitty, a 2nd kitty isn't necessarily "needed" at the moment. If he's moving in the near future, I completely understand wanting to wait til after the move to get the 2nd kitty.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    i just moved two cats across country this summer. lets just say there were drugs involved and one bed that got pooped on. other than that uneventful

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, I'm not going to have a job right away when we get there, we might be living in a hotel for a few days - I know some places (hotels/apartments both) limit the number of pets allowed.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As someone else who is about a week into an emergency kitten adoption:

Get it to the vet, the gas could be a symptom of intestinal parasites. Our stray had a bad case of roundworm and would release biological weapons from his butt until the vets meds started killing his freeloaders. Easiest way to check for this is to bring a fecal sample with you when you take the little guy in to get checked. Make sure the vet also does checks for feline luekemia and Feline HIV.

We discovered that getting the kitten litter trained wasn't hard. Basically every time he made a mess outside the litterbox we scooped it up and put it in the litter, and he watched us cover it up. Didn't take him long to figure out "Oh! Poop go in the box!"

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Took him to the vet today. What a laundry list:

Kitty eye chlamydia - medication
    ear mites / bacterial infection - medication
    High likelihood of intestinal parasites - medication

They're all pretty non-threatening if treated, so we're not worried. They're checking a poo sample for worms, as well as the standard feline leukemia and HIV.

He was a little fidgety, but he handled it like a champ - he didn't even fuss too much about the rectal thermometer.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

They're all pretty non-threatening if treated, so we're not worried. They're checking a poo sample for worms, as well as the standard feline leukemia and HIV.

He was a little fidgety, but he handled it like a champ - he didn't even fuss too much about the rectal thermometer.

Ouch. I was lucky with my two kittens. They both had zero problems, but I've still had to spend $400 on each of them for vax, vet visit, and spaying. Hope the kitty gets through all that.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Wow that is a lot, poor kitten. Hope he pulls through okay, make sure you finish his meds and all that.

Glad he wasn't too traumatized by his first vet experience. It's always easier to get them into a box or whatever when they aren't terrified of what comes after. The first time we took my kitty to the vet, he was still in "zomg humans that love me" mode and was purring too loud for the vet to hear his heart :lol:

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Caliph's fecal sample was riddled with roundworms. Ewww. And I found a dead adult one cleaning out the litterbox today. I guess that means the meds are working?

He's sitting on my lap trying to eat the cord of my headphones.

Now he's laying on his back, facing up at me. I leaned forward and he batted me in the nose. When I did it a second time, he hooked a claw in my nose, which I guess I deserved for taunting him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvcJEC6IpgI

Delzhand on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You are tempting me to find you and steal your kitten so my kitty has a friend and they can be terribly cute together.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think there's a moogle hiding in that scratching post...

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think there's a moogle hiding in that scratching post...

I'm still considering painting eyes on it.

Edit: Auuggghhh

He just let out a rank one

Delzhand on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kitten farts are the worst kind of farts. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kitten farts, America's secret weapon!

After he's parasite free, talk to the vet about pediatric neutering. My kittens had it done at 7 weeks and had literally recovered from it the day after surgery. I don't think they ever noticed anything was missing! As an added bonus, they have never sprayed anything, ever.

I second the non-clumping litter idea.

Also, if you're on a tight budget, Kirklands brand cat food from Costco has surprisingly good ingredients. Don't get Science Diet . . . Despite the fancy packaging, it gave my kittens the Stinky Poop From Hell.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    the rank farts could be from teh parasites, could be from the food. don't listen to the people who say that not feeding super extra premium means you don't love your pet. yes get quality stuff but sometimes they won't work for individual animals.
    definitely get him neutered young.

as far as liter goes, if he has solid poops and is not a super messy pooper you can use clumping liter. or you can try wheat liter. it clumps pretty well (not as tight as clay) but if eaten is not bad since it is fully digestible

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mts wrote: »
    the rank farts could be from teh parasites, could be from the food. don't listen to the people who say that not feeding super extra premium means you don't love your pet. yes get quality stuff but sometimes they won't work for individual animals.
    definitely get him neutered young.

as far as liter goes, if he has solid poops and is not a super messy pooper you can use clumping liter. or you can try wheat liter. it clumps pretty well (not as tight as clay) but if eaten is not bad since it is fully digestible

No one has told him to buy super-expensive gourmet pet food, most of which is overpriced slop that is actually just as bad for your pet as the super-cheap stuff. I think a few of us have mentioned Costco. You know, the place that is widely known for selling products in huge bulk at low prices?

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No one has told him to buy super-expensive gourmet pet food, most of which is overpriced slop that is actually just as bad for your pet as the super-cheap stuff. I think a few of us have mentioned Costco. You know, the place that is widely known for selling products in huge bulk at low prices?
    i know. but once one person recomends one food out come the food people. i agree about costco. if we didn't get most of our food for free, I would use costco as well.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2010
    Speaking of food, we had issues because one day our cat decided that she no longer liked wet food at ALL. There is no brand we can find that she will eat, when she seemed to love the stuff before. She won't even pick at it. So we tried a few different dry brands, eventually settling on The Good Life.

We fed her that for about a year and a half before I decided that maybe we should look into finding better. I think I was reading about protein content in cat food or something. Anyway, we ended up giving Core a try because it had the highest protein content I could find in the store. Within a week she'd dropped a bunch of weight and was clearly happier and more energetic. For a strictly indoor cat in an apartment, that's something. She's been eating this brand for about six months with no problem.

It costs us about $23 for a 5-lb bag so it's on the steep side and we have to go to a pet store to find it, but the bag lasts a long time because while she definitely goes through it, she just doesn't eat as much per day as she did the other brands. Despite the cost, at this point I would definitely recommend this food.

If anyone has any "X-brand is just as good and cheaper" or "that food isn't worth it because" stories, I'd be interested to hear them, because like I said the food is definitely on the steeper side (though definitely not the most expensive I've seen, I'd swear some of that food must be pure steak).

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    we feed a combination of purina pro plan weight management and sciene diet c/d because one of our guys has some weight issues since he is a giant not fat cat(14.2lbs!) and the other was starting to develop crystals and thus peeing issues.

its definitely not super high end but its pretty good. but we have always fed that since its been free for us. if we had to pay for it i don't know if we would stil luse it, but i have no complaints

come to think of it all our pets are eating science diet. our dog is on their super allergy food

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Your cat is adorable. What's up with the gut though? I don't think I've ever seen a kitten with a stomach like that one (but I haven't seen a ton of kittens either >.> )

The only fart related story I have is that one time Scott was holding Harvey (our adult shorthair) and I guess from the way he was holding him...Harvey farted. Like a human would fart. Like PPPBBBBTHTTHTHT. Right on Scott's hand. Our analysis showed that Scott was kind of squeezing Harvey's butt area together so that when he farted it actually made a sound. It was like the one time he was holding him and his tail wasn't tucked.

Scott decided to wash his hands after that.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's the worms. Once we're done with the deworming meds, we'll start monitoring his weight. Right now we just want to make sure he's getting the nutrients he needs.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The gut is probably a combination of poor diet and parasites. Our vet said that out kittens 'beergut' was probably due to worms, and when the tests came back on his poo, they confirmed it. Now that most of those worms have been evacuated, his stomach is much smaller.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When it comes to food, high protein, minimal or no grains, muscle meats as the first few ingredients. Preferably wet, but you feed your cat what you're able to/it'll eat. Food isn't too difficult, just gotta remember they're obligate carnivores.

This is a good listing for the raw nutrient values in cat foods.

Your kitten is sweet, and looks nicely energetic and playful. Don't forget to keep an eye on the condition of his toys. When they play that rough, they can rip into stuffing and swallow some, or occasionally eyes and ears and whatnot can come off and be swallowed.

Entriech on