As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RAM Issue

ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been getting a few IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL and MEMORY MANAGEMENT blue screens lately. So I ran memtest86 a couple of weeks ago and got a few errors on it.

I have about 4 GBs of RAM across 4 sticks and I didn't have time to run each individually until now. Running each in slot 1 revealed no errors so I ran 1 stick in each slot also to no errors. But running all four reveals errors in 2200s and 4400s and one in 1247 (i'm doing this from memory since I didn't write it down).

The motherboard is running Dual Channel, so does this mean that the second channel (or slots 2+4) are going bad or is it another issue?

Thanks

ShadowThomas on

• Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's possible that one of the slots/channels is bad, yes. It's also possible that a stick may work fine on its own, but fail when paired with other sticks. You could try running a pair in slots 2 and 4 to see if that works, then try a pair in 1 and 3.

Some motherboards can be finicky about running 4 sticks. It's possible that you may need to lower any timings that you set manually in the bios, or perhaps set all the timings manually so that they are a little lower.

shwaip on