As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The NFL Thread: Manning channels Brett Favre to give WHO DAT Nation one last gift

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't disagree I just see the NFL wanting him to continue being a prominent figure after he hangs up his spurs. Not too many coaches do nationally televised commercials but I suppose it's not unprecedented.

Then there's still the possibility that he doesn't end up being a good coach. A couple of unfortunate picks and some other bad luck can sink a coach.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought he wasn't that old? Has he already talked about retiring?o_O

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh god no we're just speculating. He's not young (33) but he's got at least 4 more season ahead of him I'd say. Probably more.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    oh man. not that I really care for the Colts but I thought I had missed a major announcement.

vermiculture on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    about how often does Peyton get sacked compared to the rest of the league?

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Not as often as Ben, but I don't think anyone gets sacked as much as he does, nevermind stays in the games.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He's had a couple rough seasons (2007 was one when Jeff Saturday missed a few games) but he had only 10 sacks this year and 14 last year. He also tends to curl up in a ball when rushers come in untouched. Some call it a bitch move but he's also never missed a start.

Butters on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    When he's done, I'd love to see Peyton up in the booth with Al Michaels

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    natek wrote: »
    alright I am not used to everyone hating the vikings and now I am kind of sad

If it makes you feel any better, I've hated the Vikings for a long time.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Butters wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Peyton Manning will go down as one of the best QB's in football. Like him or not, his stats are phenomenal and he wins games. The guy loves to score points.

I don't know anyone that genuinely dislikes Peyton Manning. He's very likable and considering how good he is the attention he gets couldn't be more deserved. Assuming he doesn't implode a la Tiger Woods the NFL really couldn't ask for a better poster boy.

There are people who don't like him, they are called Patriot fans.

All kidding aside, I've still read sports opinion pieces where people talk about Peyton Manning being over exposed, over hyped, and whatever. Apparently 4 MVP's, a ring, all those records, all the winning of games, and the fact like you said he's a poster boy for the NFL and using his money, influence, and personality to help causes means nothing to some people. I would strangle them, but it wouldn't help.

Now I don't like when announcers fellate Manning during prime time, but yeah, he is one of the best QB's to play the game.

Hunter on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oreo_Cookie_Football_manning.JPG

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Eli and Peyton should have their own show, like Shaq vs.

Just Eli and Peyton playing pick up games of whatever against random people for like $5000. Basketball, ping-pong, badminton, croquet. It wouldn't matter.

Hunter on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »

Haters gon' hate.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    He's had a couple rough seasons (2007 was one when Jeff Saturday missed a few games) but he had only 10 sacks this year and 14 last year. He also tends to curl up in a ball when rushers come in untouched. Some call it a bitch move but he's also missed only one play due to injury in his career.

This is what blows me away. Farve has the record for starts, but he's at least gotten hurt and had to come out of games. Peyton doesn't ever come out of the game. He's an iron man.

big l on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »

Haters gon' hate.

I just hate Brett Favre. I think the Vikings organization is good, I think AP is awesome except for his sudden change to Tikki Barber-esque ball handling skills, and their defense is dynamite.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oreo_Cookie_Football_manning.JPG

p1_manning.jpg

vermiculture on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »

Haters gon' hate.

I just hate Brett Favre. I think the Vikings organization is good, I think AP is awesome except for his sudden change to Tikki Barber-esque ball handling skills, and their defense is dynamite.

his ball handling has gotten better, but it seems like once teams got this whiff of that being his weakness, once he starts trying to get those extra yards, they are immediately going for the ball. He's definitely started holding it closer to his body though, and taking better care of it.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vladimer on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    CBS execs are masturbating to the possibility of Favre versus his old team in the Superb Owl. Even though he was only a Jet for a minute, it might just get a big bump like the Packers/Vikings games.

Backstop on
  • Options
    DragonicityDragonicity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Peyton Manning will go down as one of the best QB's in football. Like him or not, his stats are phenomenal and he wins games. The guy loves to score points.

I don't know anyone that genuinely dislikes Peyton Manning. He's very likable and considering how good he is the attention he gets couldn't be more deserved. Assuming he doesn't implode a la Tiger Woods the NFL really couldn't ask for a better poster boy.

There are people who don't like him, they are called Patriot fans.

All kidding aside, I've still read sports opinion pieces where people talk about Peyton Manning being over exposed, over hyped, and whatever. Apparently 4 MVP's, a ring, all those records, all the winning of games, and the fact like you said he's a poster boy for the NFL and using his money, influence, and personality to help causes means nothing to some people. I would strangle them, but it wouldn't help.

Now I don't like when announcers fellate Manning during prime time, but yeah, he is one of the best QB's to play the game.

I do think he may be a bit over-exposed, but I really like Peyton, and very much respect him as a football player. The dude plays QB like a machine.

Dragonicity on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It will get a big bump no matter what if the Vikings go.

Colts/Vikings would be a better matchup, in terms of story line, since the debate between "greatest all time" in popular outlets often comes down to Favre or Manning. And they both have only one ring.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is no plane of existence where favre vs jets is anywhere even close to favre packers. CBS would much rather have favre vs manning

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well everybody is jerking over how well sanchez is playing when all he has to do is control the ball and hand off to greene and let the d do their thing

WHAT FUCKING POISE?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well everybody is jerking over how well sanchez is playing when all he has to do is control the ball and hand off to greene and let the d do their thing

WHAT FUCKING POISE?

Replace Sanchize with Flacco and remove the hostility and you're a Ravens fan.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

WHAT FUCKING POISE?

Replace Sanchize with Flacco and remove the hostility and you're a Ravens fan.

yeah move to tuscaloosa and i could be a bama fan too

way to go muckelroy

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I love Peyton Manning, shut up

Javen on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know how anyone can't like Payton Manning.

He's smart, curses out his blockers while bootlegging, and totally stuck it to Mike Vanderjagt.

That's what you look for in a quarterback.

Also the commercials with Timberlake are great.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Balefuego wrote: »
    There is no plane of existence where favre vs jets is anywhere even close to favre packers. CBS would much rather have favre vs manning

You're assuming the TV people know or care anything about football. They see "Favre vs. ex-teammates" not the matchup on the field.

Backstop on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't disagree I just see the NFL wanting him to continue being a prominent figure after he hangs up his spurs. Not too many coaches do nationally televised commercials but I suppose it's not unprecedented.

Then there's still the possibility that he doesn't end up being a good coach. A couple of unfortunate picks and some other bad luck can sink a coach.

Yeah, that's all true. But, a head coach in the NFL is extremely high-profile too.

We know he at least has the chops to understand and execute strategy - something a coach needs.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »

He's smart, curses out his blockers while bootlegging, and totally stuck it to Mike Vanderjagt.

ahahaha

I was wondering if anyone caught that "God dammit, Dallas!" last Saturday.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Backstop wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

You're assuming the TV people know or care anything about football. They see "Favre vs. ex-teammates" not the matchup on the field.

As everyone else on this page has already pointed out, Manning is the biggest star in the league. No one gives a fuck that favre spent a year on the jets cause he didn't do shit while he was there.

CBS is not dumb enough to not want the most recognizable player in the NFL over some bullshit revenge storyline.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

ahahaha

I'm pretty sure it was "God dammit, Donald!". Donald Brown was supposed to block a guy coming from the left but just went out in a route, so Peyton sees the guy coming in and moves and cusses as he does.

big l on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

ahahaha

He was yelling at Donald brown not Dallas Clark

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    is it his laser rocket arm that turns you on javen

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh, was that what he said

Regardless, it made me laugh.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    so guys

gaines adams :(

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    His heart was three sizes too large

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the terrible truth to the grinch

Vladimer on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    I was reading a bears messageboard and someone asked if they get their 2nd rounder back

Unknown User on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I would hate to be friend's with the Manning's dad

he has got to be the smuggest dude

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.