As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Politicking: Peter Milliken just saved Canada

• Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Reports of citizens mocking overlord Harper at this location have been received.

stephen_harper_prime_minister.jpg

He is displeased.

Sipex on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's the bling that sells it.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Reports of citizens mocking overlord Harper at this location have been received.

stephen_harper_prime_minister.jpg

He is displeased.

This picture is amazing.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This should be a OP picture.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It is now

Also
    2939330287_8f71265a51.jpg

Robman on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Edit edit: Rona Ambrose is back in a Minister's portfolio now being Minister of Public Works and Government Services (ie- doling out projects).

Whoo, shuffling the same few women around back and forth between cabinet posts because there aren't any others!

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh my god, from wiki
    On February 16, 2005, she made headlines after making a remark in Parliament directed at Liberal Social Development Minister Ken Dryden saying "working women want to make their own choices, we don't need old white guys telling us what to do," in reference to the Liberal national child care plan.

Ambrose calls herself a libertarian and is a fan of Ayn Rand novels such as Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead.[1] She was a member of the Trilateral Commission, as reported in Vancouver's Georgia Straight, August 24, 2006.

I can't believe her picture wasn't this on wiki
    sarah-palin-1.jpg

Robman on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh sweet merciful Zeus, Sarah Palin is among us! Run for your lives!

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wasn't there some SNAFU where she was invited to speak at a healthcare conference?

Robman on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    CBC had mentioned quickly tonight that apparently the Prime Minister's about to announce some funding for a wind/solar farm cluster in Ontario tomorrow?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    CBC had mentioned quickly tonight that apparently the Prime Minister's about to announce some funding for a wind/solar farm cluster in Ontario tomorrow?

You've got to admire how crafty his PR team is. If the CPC at large is a steaming mass of fail, they're a steaming mass of fail that consistently gets wrapped up in a comforting blanket of acceptable mediocrity.

Robman on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So when are the Liberals supposed to be sitting down in the not-working-due-to-King-Harper Parliament?

shryke on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    So when are the Liberals supposed to be sitting down in the not-working-due-to-King-Harper Parliament?

Monday.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Robman wrote: »

You've got to admire how crafty his PR team is. If the CPC at large is a steaming mass of fail, they're a steaming mass of fail that consistently gets wrapped up in a comforting blanket of acceptable mediocrity.

Apologies, read the paper and apparently this is the Premier, not the PM doing the announcement so it has nothing related to Harper.

That being said, it apparently is a rather stupid move by McGuinty as they're awarding a large green energy project to Samsung (negotiated by Smitherman himself). Not simply that, but they're allowing them to receive a higher amount of FIT (feed-in-tariffs) that the Green Energy Act normally allows, effectively subsidizing the company and placing it out of competition's way with regard to other energy companies that don't get that extra FIT.

Which is odd considering they're justifying Samsung coming in because "we need them to start the core of the green cluster" when in about 60 days after the FIT process went live, the government received applications for 8,000 MW (Samsung's deal would generate 600 MW) from assorted green energy companies from Ontario itself.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, the nationwide protest thing on Saturday - I'm going.

I've never been to a protest before, being a basically little-c conservative person. I'm trying to figure out what to wear (haha!), because everything I own is either "serious business" or "here's a t-shirt with the Decepticon logo". The former seems overdressed (but maybe that's good? See, I'm an uptight asshole like the average Conservative, and even I am pissed enough to come stand in the snow), the latter seems overly childish.

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I've never been to a protest before, being a basically little-c conservative person. I'm trying to figure out what to wear (haha!), because everything I own is either "serious business" or "here's a t-shirt with the Decepticon logo". The former seems overdressed (but maybe that's good? See, I'm an uptight asshole like the average Conservative, and even I am pissed enough to come stand in the snow), the latter seems overly childish.

Keep a watchful eye on the crowd. Seriously. There will be cops around, and if people start putting on face masks get the hell out. Stand on the edges of the protest so you can get out quickly of shit starts going down. Do leave if the message starts getting ugly (eg FUCK THE GOVERNMENT instead of WHERE IS DEMOCRACY).

I've been to quite a few protests, and sadly the asshats have consistently tried to ruin them. I think my favorite was one in Toronto where we were protesting higher tuition fees, and some guy brought in by the protest organizers was trying to get the crowd to start chanting "FUCK MIKE HARRIS! FUCK MIKE HARRIS!" which is a noble sentiment, but not at all what I was there for. Yes, he had massive dreads and looked like he hadn't been in a shower since 1994.

Robman on
  • Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Keep a watchful eye on the crowd. Seriously. There will be cops around, and if people start putting on face masks get the hell out. Stand on the edges of the protest so you can get out quickly of shit starts going down. Do leave if the message starts getting ugly (eg FUCK THE GOVERNMENT instead of WHERE IS DEMOCRACY).

I've been to quite a few protests, and sadly the asshats have consistently tried to ruin them. I think my favorite was one in Toronto where we were protesting higher tuition fees, and some guy brought in by the protest organizers was trying to get the crowd to start chanting "FUCK MIKE HARRIS! FUCK MIKE HARRIS!" which is a noble sentiment, but not at all what I was there for. Yes, he had massive dreads and looked like he hadn't been in a shower since 1994.

That sounds pretty much like my perception of protests. I lived in Toronto during the Mike Harris years, and I agree that while "Should Mike Harris be fucked? Y/N" is probably not the sort of question that, say, Mike Harris would have wanted put to a popular vote, it is inappropriate for any forum other than a rally specifically intended to promote the fucking of Mike Harris. One thing at a time, people. Colour me naive, but is it particularly likely people will focus on the issue at hand rather than miscellaneous Infowars blather?

Edith_Bagot-Dix on

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    For an issue like this? It's reasonably likely that things will stay on-message.

Oh, if you want to see a jolly good time, go to Toronto during pride week and the G20, and just watch the fucking G20 riots spill into the pride parade, at which point you have a four way gangbang between enraged prides people, the Toronto cops, the G20 retards, and the RCMP riot police.

Oh lawdy there`s going to be some good pictures the next day.

Robman on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I apparently work, live and commute under a giant rock.

What's the protest against?

Sipex on
  • Options
    PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The seal hunt...

No really - it's about our lack of democratically elected representation for an extended period of time - ie: prorogation of parliament until after the Olympics.

Phisti on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Apologies, read the paper and apparently this is the Premier, not the PM doing the announcement so it has nothing related to Harper.

That being said, it apparently is a rather stupid move by McGuinty as they're awarding a large green energy project to Samsung (negotiated by Smitherman himself). Not simply that, but they're allowing them to receive a higher amount of FIT (feed-in-tariffs) that the Green Energy Act normally allows, effectively subsidizing the company and placing it out of competition's way with regard to other energy companies that don't get that extra FIT.

Which is odd considering they're justifying Samsung coming in because "we need them to start the core of the green cluster" when in about 60 days after the FIT process went live, the government received applications for 8,000 MW (Samsung's deal would generate 600 MW) from assorted green energy companies from Ontario itself.

It's... I don't agree with it, but the whole "government giving companies a shitton of money to do business in their area" thing has become relatively routine nowadays. Because, you know, multibillion dollar profits can't be used for expansion and it's not like BANKS (supposedly) promote economic growth by providing additional liquidity. Oh wait.

That being said, the big thing is that Samsung's actually a large corporation, an international one at that, and having them seed their first green industry endeavour (I'm unsure of this, but whatever...) here in Ontario might ensure that their future N. American operations in this sector also begin in Ontario. I'm not nearly knowledgeable to know how likely that is to happen, but I believe that is the "plan".

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hippofant wrote: »

It's... I don't agree with it, but the whole "government giving companies a shitton of money to do business in their area" thing has become relatively routine nowadays. Because, you know, multibillion dollar profits can't be used for expansion and it's not like BANKS (supposedly) promote economic growth by providing additional liquidity. Oh wait.

That being said, the big thing is that Samsung's actually a large corporation, an international one at that, and having them seed their first green industry endeavour (I'm unsure of this, but whatever...) here in Ontario might ensure that their future N. American operations in this sector also begin in Ontario. I'm not nearly knowledgeable to know how likely that is to happen, but I believe that is the "plan".

The problem is that the requirement that Samsung is the only thing that will be able to create this cluster of green technologies kind of doesn't seem to hold water considering the amount of applications from Ontario businesses for FIT.

I could understand bringing in Samsung if there was no internal interest or capability in building green technology, but not if there is already demonstrated interest.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The problem is that the requirement that Samsung is the only thing that will be able to create this cluster of green technologies kind of doesn't seem to hold water considering the amount of applications from Ontario businesses for FIT.

I could understand bringing in Samsung if there was no internal interest or capability in building green technology, but not if there is already demonstrated interest.

Yeah, but all of the Ontario companies are already here. Samsung's not really. Also, I haven't read the applications, but I'd imagine Samsung's probably a bigger industrial player than most of the other applications. It's a big prize.

Again, I'm not sure I agree with the whole... whatever. But we paid Toyota a shitton of money to build plants here too and such.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm, there's a Law School lecture being held on campus tomorrow evening entitled "The Prime Minister, Prorogation, and Parliamentary Democracy: A Panel Discussion", with:

Simone Chambers, Faculty of Political Science, University of Toronto
    Larry Gordon, Executive Director of Fair Vote Canada
    David Schneiderman, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto
    Michael Valpy, correspondent, Globe & Mail

as panelists. I do think I may attend! It's being put on by a student group Law Students for Democracy so I imagine it's fairly anti-establishing-a-kingdom.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To be fair, it's kind of hard to support Harper at all in this. For fuck's sake, Preston Motherfucking Manning has gone on record as being critical of Harper over this shit.

Robman on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What boggles my mind most about all of this is why it didn't happen a year ago over the much more interesting and controversial prorogation. Why are apolitical people are becoming political for this when an honest to goodness scandal actually happened last year? I have friends who don't vote who'll be going to the protests. They probably won't vote next election (here's to hoping it's soon, too).

This prorogation is dumb, and really shouldn't have happened, but it's mostly to stuff the senate and give ministers an excuse to wine and dine in Vancouver. Harper doesn't care about the tortured detainees, which is terrifying but being largely ignored.

Last year's prorogation was fucking monumental compared to this one. It kept the responsible style of government from being responsible. It blocked a fucking vote of non-confidence.

I can't remember where, but I read some column which essentially argued that the conservatives don't know how to be a governing party and the liberals forgot how to oppose. I think it sums up Canadian politics pretty well right now.

Oats on
  • Options
    blkmageblkmage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's because the Conservatives were able to frame the coalition negatively and were able to take advantage of the fact that people don't understand the nuances of the Westminster system. People ended up being more concerned about the coalition than the fact that the government ducked a confidence motion. This time, there's nothing to distract people from the government running away from tough questions. The length of the prorogation is longer too and there's a sense that the government isn't doing their job for about three months.

blkmage on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Olympic update: No snow at alpine site: Contingency plan includes dumping snow from helicopters

vffklx.jpg

Whose bright idea was it to hold a Winter Olympics in a temperate rainforest? Honestly.

Currently +9 degrees in Vancouver

Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Another grand-slam win from CBC Comments
    Helicopters to deliver snow!!!

This has gone way beyond a simple case of misplaced priorities, and turned into an obscene and decadent orgy of spending.

14 schools to be closed in Prince George, 800+ teachers laid off in Vancouver, but there is money available to deliver snow BY HELICOPTER!

Robman on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aren't they being held in an area that is traditionally one of the best winter sports centres of the world?

This weather has been retarded, but it's not like anyone could have (or should have been exptected to) predicted this.

[Edit]
    I suppose I see somewhat valid criticism in the spending of so much money to helicopter in snow, but how does that compare to the outcry that would befall the country if there was no snow for the Winter Olympics and the host committee/country did nothing to address the issue, flushing all of the money and preparations down the drain.

I think it's pretty horrible that low-income housing and locations for the poor were (so far as I recall) demolished so that new olympic facilities could be built, probably wasting taxpayers' money to do so, but I would be extremely pissed off if that money was wasted and those people were displaced for nothing because the people in charge didn't do everything they could to ensure the success of the games that have already been so heavily invested in.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    LaOs wrote: »
    Aren't they being held in an area that is traditionally one of the best winter sports centres of the world?

This weather has been retarded, but it's not like anyone could have (or should have been exptected to) predicted this.

And rather then relocate to the Okanagan or W-B they instead choose to truck and helicopter in snow

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

And rather then relocate to the Okanagan or W-B they instead choose to truck and helicopter in snow

I've made an edit since your reply...

But, are those locations actually feasable for moving the entirety of the Olympic outdoor sports? Are they prepared? Do they, themselves, have enough snow, or do they simply have more snow than the current location? Does moving the outdoor events to either of those locations actually help the situation more than it will cost, considering all the infrastructure that's already been prepared and set in motion?

I admit I don't know the answers, but I find it very difficult to be upset over this situation right now (with what I know).

I understand that the BC posters in this thread have [rightfully] been pissed at the Host Committee and Canada for its bungling (so to speak) of many things in the runup to hosting the Games, but I think it may be colouring your interpretations.

LaOs on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

[Edit]
    I suppose I see somewhat valid criticism in the spending of so much money to helicopter in snow, but how does that compare to the outcry that would befall the country if there was no snow for the Winter Olympics and the host committee/country did nothing to address the issue, flushing all of the money and preparations down the drain.

I think it's pretty horrible that low-income housing and locations for the poor were (so far as I recall) demolished so that new olympic facilities could be built, probably wasting taxpayers' money to do so, but I would be extremely pissed off if that money was wasted and those people were displaced for nothing because the people in charge didn't do everything they could to ensure the success of the games that have already been so heavily invested in.

I understand what you're saying, and on on hand I agree with you, but on the entirely other hand, the games are a decadent orgy of spending in the FIRST place that don't accomplish much, don't celebrate much, and don't determine much that the other world-class competitions don't do much, much cheaper.

Fuck the Olympic games, is, I guess what I'm saying here.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Imperfect wrote: »

[Edit]

I understand what you're saying, and on on hand I agree with you, but on the entirely other hand, the games are a decadent orgy of spending in the FIRST place that don't accomplish much, don't celebrate much, and don't determine much that the other world-class competitions don't do much, much cheaper.

Fuck the Olympic games, is, I guess what I'm saying here.

But, if all of that was spent, and then they didn't fucking work out? It'd be an even bigger slap in the face.

Let's face it... Canada won the bid and Vancouver is hosting the Olympics. That's not going to change, especially not now. Shouldn't it actually work?

[Edit]
    Not saying I disagree with your assessment of the Olympic Games in general. You're more than likely right. I'm more uncommitted on how I feel, but I hear ya.

LaOs on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So Stockwell Day has the treasury portfolio now?

say goodbye to your funding, dinosaur museums

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why are they using a helicopter for the snow?

Couldnt they jury rig some sort of snow machine system?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wait, the forecast is saying there won't be any snowfall before Feb 12th?! The fuck happened to all the snow in BC?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Wait, the forecast is saying there won't be any snowfall before Feb 12th?! The fuck happened to all the snow in BC?

The same thing that happened to all the snow in Toronto. It's fricking January 20th and there's like no snow anywhere, except for small piles left over that have been melting since like Christmas.

It's an El Nino year or something. Which doesn't really mean anything because nobody knows what the hell it is except that the weather will go all crazy.

hippofant on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    BC has plenty of snow, but those greedy selfish fucks at VANOC wanted to hold as many events as possible in Metro Vancouver, home of Canada's warmest winters.

Quite frankly it is the height of foolishness to assume more than a week ahead of time that there will be enough snow for skiing on Grouse, Seymour and/or Cypress. Anyone who's skied up there will tell you this. Even in particularly cold winters like last year's, the coldest it ever gets up there is -5 or so.

They could have held the alpine events at Whistler or, hell, at one of numerous ski resorts in the BC interior which are a million times better than any of the north shore mountains. Sun Peaks is easily as good a venue for this as Whistler, and they wouldn't have had to spend billions on highway upgrades because they already fucking built the highway back in 1986.

But nooooooo.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I had been under the impression some of the events were going to be held at Whistler, because, well, fucking Whistler. And that while it said "Vancouver Olympics" this was for the fact it's the only large city involved and you'd have ceremonies and some events there, while some of the important events would be held in (what I thought) were rather world-class ski places in the mountains far enough away from 'raining more than England' Vancouver.

Aegis on
    Characters