As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please help!

GermsrosolinoGermsrosolino Registered User regular
The processor on my computer crapped out, so I went ahead and upgraded the rest. I bought a new 380 watt power supply, an ASRock G41-GS motherboard, Pentium E5200 processor, and R4770 cyclone graphics card. I installed everything, applied the arctic silver 5 thermal compound correctly. The only thing I'm unsure of is the compatibility of the RAM I have. It fits physically. When I power on the computer the monitor receives no signal and there is no activity on the indicator light. Can the RAM cause this, or is there a bigger issue at hand? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Btw the ram I have is PC2-4200

Germsrosolino on

• Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Your motherboard guide and the manufacturer's website should have a compatibility list to check.

travathian on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Are you certain that this is a RAM problem?

What I see all the time is people forget to plug in that extra little 4 prong power connector into their mobo in addition to the larger one.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Are you certain that this is a RAM problem?

What I see all the time is people forget to plug in that extra little 4 prong power connector into their mobo in addition to the larger one.

Yerp, Double check all your plugs and connections, make sure all your screws are in place... and also check the manual just to make sure your RAM is compatible (it probably is, but might as well make sure).

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know what your graphics card is, and I don't know the effect of having an underpowered PSU, but could that be causing it? 380w is quite low.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I don't know what your graphics card is, and I don't know the effect of having an underpowered PSU, but could that be causing it? 380w is quite [strike]low.[/strike] quite enough for most everyone not doing SLI/Crossfire

Might want to check out any of a number of online calculators that let you input components and will spit out how much PSU you need. 380w will handle a lot of computing power. This isn't to say the problem isn't the PSU, it could very well be defective. But it certainly isn't a lack of power.

travathian on
  • Options
    GermsrosolinoGermsrosolino Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thank you all for your input. It turned out it was just RAM. The new motherboard required a different frequency than I had. The system is up and running. It actually works exceptionally.

Germsrosolino on
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    travathian wrote: »
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I don't know what your graphics card is, and I don't know the effect of having an underpowered PSU, but could that be causing it? 380w is quite [strike]low.[/strike] quite enough for most everyone not doing SLI/Crossfire

Might want to check out any of a number of online calculators that let you input components and will spit out how much PSU you need. 380w will handle a lot of computing power. This isn't to say the problem isn't the PSU, it could very well be defective. But it certainly isn't a lack of power.

Ah, OK. I suspect this is a product of the PSU industry spitting out every increasing wattages. When people are buying 1000w PSUs for their "kill3r rigz" it makes 380w look low by comparison.

Centipeed on