As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Remembering the Dead [Holidays]

13»

• BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    there are already businesses that operate 7 days a week. you are aware that the people who work there don't work all 7 days, right?

And you are suggesting every business do this.

Which is silly. 7-11 never closes, but we don't extend that to other enterprises because it would be costly to do so, even if it would benefit someone that needs to mail a letter at two AM.

not every business. just ones that provide basic services likes banks and deliveries.

So you gonna pay a bunch more taxes to support the govt extending mail services?

The Postal service doesn't get any tax money. They are mandated to run only off their income, which is why the price of stamps goes up without having to vote on it.

Backstop on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My current credit card rate is 22%. Local rates on cars and boats is as high as 12% even with good credit. My bank is 6.5%. Guess which one I'm going to try for first? But, if it's a weekend and my desired item is scarce, the choice isn't "bank vs next best alternative," it's "next best alternative vs. not buying it at all."

Do you often find yourself in a situation where you have to buy a boat on Sunday and no other day?

Quid on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    My current credit card rate is 22%. Local rates on cars and boats is as high as 12% even with good credit. My bank is 6.5%. Guess which one I'm going to try for first? But, if it's a weekend and my desired item is scarce, the choice isn't "bank vs next best alternative," it's "next best alternative vs. not buying it at all."

Do you often find yourself in a situation where you have to buy a boat on Sunday and no other day?

Sundays you just can't get rid of a bomb!

KalTorak on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Generally they have much more limited hours on Saturday, and there is a reason for this. My bank up the street was open 7 days a week as a test run of a new schedule to see if it would work system-wide for the very reasons you listed. It didn't.

There are very few businesses which need to work 7 days a week. Really, beyond first responders, medical facilities, and pharmacies I'm struggling to think of any. Apparently a lot of them agree. So your problem seems to be with capitalism.

I will admit, most banks these days do seem to offer limited hours on Saturdays. Plus, it doesn't personally effect me all that much, since I do most of my banking online. But many people, especially those in smaller towns and rural communities, don't have access to that kind of thing.

As well, while most people probably don't need banks open on weekends or late hours to close mortgages or extremely large purchases, I would wager that people if given the option would prefer to do smaller loans on the weekends, as most mid-price purchases are made (or at least decided upon) during the weekend. And by mid-price, I'm talking about things like cars, boats, furniture suites, home improvements, . . . . things in the $5k to $50k range.

At Microsoft, we were working long hours for about 3 months, but even before then I would wake up at 4:00 AM and get home around 7:00 PM. There was no time to do my banking, especially considering most banks close at 5:30; which is, ironically, the time when a lot of people get off work.

Then why did you bank with them?

moniker on
    edited January 2010
    Sure, it is hard to do business with banks. but they provide a service most americans can't go without, and won't increase their customer base by staying open on weekends.

If some banks went to week-long service, they'd probably get more business than those that didn't, all things being equal.

That's what the bank up the street from me thought. They didn't, and so canceled the test schedule because it was bleeding money. What you're asking for isn't all that hard to do, you just tell the person who makes the schedules to add an extra number of hours they have to fill. If it were actually worth doing it would likely be far more prevalent. That its not should tell you something.

moniker on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I never really understood the way we celebrate MLK day. I never knew anyone growing up who had off work for it, I always had school on it. Really only banks and the post office ever closed for it, and those will close for just about anything. A lot of large urban school districts close school for the day, which baffles me. Instead of say spending the whole day talking about the man, or the civil rights movement, or hell anything instructive at all; they give the kids a day off of school, which in most cases is probably spent watching TV or playing video games. Seems like a pretty hollow tribute.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No reason they can't have a discussion about the man before or after the holiday. But if nothing else, having the day off makes people notice and remember. How many people know about Arbor Day?

KalTorak on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Generally they have much more limited hours on Saturday, and there is a reason for this. My bank up the street was open 7 days a week as a test run of a new schedule to see if it would work system-wide for the very reasons you listed. It didn't.

There are very few businesses which need to work 7 days a week. Really, beyond first responders, medical facilities, and pharmacies I'm struggling to think of any. Apparently a lot of them agree. So your problem seems to be with capitalism.

I will admit, most banks these days do seem to offer limited hours on Saturdays. Plus, it doesn't personally effect me all that much, since I do most of my banking online. But many people, especially those in smaller towns and rural communities, don't have access to that kind of thing.

As well, while most people probably don't need banks open on weekends or late hours to close mortgages or extremely large purchases, I would wager that people if given the option would prefer to do smaller loans on the weekends, as most mid-price purchases are made (or at least decided upon) during the weekend. And by mid-price, I'm talking about things like cars, boats, furniture suites, home improvements, . . . . things in the $5k to $50k range.

At Microsoft, we were working long hours for about 3 months, but even before then I would wake up at 4:00 AM and get home around 7:00 PM. There was no time to do my banking, especially considering most banks close at 5:30; which is, ironically, the time when a lot of people get off work.

Well, I don't, technically, do business with them anymore. It was Washington Mutual.

Slider on
    edited January 2010

Well, I don't, technically, do business with them anymore. It was Washington Mutual.

But you did, and for a seemingly protracted length of time. Why?

moniker on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Maybe it's different out on the savage untamed frontier, but in the civilized world, even before WaMu was absorbed by Chase they had ATMs every other block, Saturday bank hours, and fully functional online banking.

Now that they've been absorbed by Chase you don't even need a fucking envelope to deposit checks in their ATMs, which are now even more prevalent.

What the heck are you doing at banks that requires access to a teller at 9PM on a Thursday, robbing them?

Lawndart on