As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game-On] WARMACHINE and HORDES Mk II - First VASSAL tournament soon fellow STALKERs!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cards are just conveniently sized stats.

admanb on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Indeed. Faction Decks just happen to have all the ones you need (Pre-Faction books) to figure out what you want to buy next... or update your existing card collection.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also decks are convenient for vassal play testing.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, I know this game hasn't been around for nearly as long as some competing wargames, but I'm curious:

What sort of lifecycle is there on rulebooks/army stats? I'm used to being 'stuck' with your chosen faction's state of affairs for 3-4 years at a time, minimum. Are the factions in PP tuned occasionally? Rebalanced?

How long did mk1 exist for before mk2? And what was the 'prime remix'? A sort of mk1.5?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm hooome~! Gimme a bit to catch up on the day's things and I'll try to get on Vassal.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shiiiiiiit... I'll have to download it on this laptop and watch.

I like to watch...

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    banjo music, etc.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aaand I'm on.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Erandus wrote: »
    So, I know this game hasn't been around for nearly as long as some competing wargames, but I'm curious:

What sort of lifecycle is there on rulebooks/army stats? I'm used to being 'stuck' with your chosen faction's state of affairs for 3-4 years at a time, minimum. Are the factions in PP tuned occasionally? Rebalanced?

How long did mk1 exist for before mk2? And what was the 'prime remix'? A sort of mk1.5?

Mk 1 debuted.. 2003. Prime Remix was the first major attempt at pushing through significant errata and model rule fixes, came out after Superiority. I'd say 2007 ish. Now, in 2010, Mk II is officially out. Typically, a new expansion book comes out every year or couple years thanks to Hordes. Everyone gets new toys. If something's a big enough concern, it may get errata.

This year's interesting in that we'll get a book for every faction. We won't see this again until Mk III most likely.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ValhallaValhalla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for the quick replies all. It seems like a great game. So quick question. My most hated opponent in Mangled Metal is a friend who plays Menoth. His list is

The Harbringer (+5)
    The Avatar-11
    Guardian-9

With 15 points to work with (plus caster points) whats the best way for Khador to whomp this? Cataclysm is a serious pain in the ass, especially with her being able to cast it twice, since the Avatar needs no focus allocated to it and he uses the Guardian as esentially a walking arc node.

I ran Sorscha and 3 Juggernauts against it, but I left her to exposed and she got her assed Cataclysmed to hell and back.

I was considering something like this.

Karchev (+5)
    Spriggan-10
    Destroyer-9

Charge with Karchev and the spriggan, leave the Destroyer advancing to give ranged support.

Question-- Can a Khador list run a Mule Heavy Warjack without any merc jack marshals or warcasters? If so then I like the look of this..

Zerkova (+6)
    Behemoth-13
    Mule-8

Sit back and smash the Avatar and hope for the best.

Any thoughts? Feel free to call me any names you like, but keep in mind im learning lol

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Also, I considered running another spriggan or a devastator in the first list, making it a striaght up charge in his face and use Karchevs feat list.

Edit

Oh, and Unearthly Rage

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Double checking here, Val. He didn't apply Cataclysm's full damage from the Arc Node, did he? It's tricky, but when a rule says "This Model", it specifically refers to the Harbinger, and not the channeling model. It's the one spell you don't want to channel if the Harbinger isn't close to the target.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mercenary warjacks may only be controlled by mercenary warcasters or mercenary 'jack marshals.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Vassal: installed
    Warmachine Module: running
    Pants: on
    Pair: got

Now awaiting someone to beat my stuff in.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    He actually only cast it through her. However, we did talk about it and the consensus we reached was that "this model" refered to the model the spell was being cast from, not specifically the Harbringer. So it had no effect on our game, but your saying its the distance from her only?

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Valhalla wrote: »
    He actually only cast it through her. However, we did talk about it and the consensus we reached was that "this model" refered to the model the spell was being cast from, not specifically the Harbringer. So it had no effect on our game, but your saying its the distance from her only?

Yes. It's almost never a good idea to channel it. The power is determined through her only.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    Vassal: installed
    Warmachine Module: running
    Pants: on
    Pair: got

Now awaiting someone to beat my stuff in.

On my way to learn you some Warmacheens.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Today's Haul:
    Stormclad, Lancer, Charger, Sentinel, Heavy Plastic Box, Faction Deck. Awww yeah.

Monday I'll be ordering a Squire and a Hunter from a dude online.

SJ on
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    is it kosher to show up to a tourney with less than your whole army painted?

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes. Paint is only required for very specific events like Hardcore, which also have timed turns

You should be fine.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    id love to watch you guys vassal it up. i downloaded the program and module so... how do i connect and stuff

EDIT: so im in here but thers no map?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Right click on a room name, click Join Room. Right click on one of the players in the right panel once you're in, and click on Synchronize.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Had to cut the game a bit short; saved it for next time. Learned a lot, though. For instance:

-Keep the Lancer out of Spray range!
    -It's not worth shooting a protection'd Crusader!
    -You can always make it killier!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Erandus wrote: »

The lifecycle of a faction is defined by expansions, not game versions. The expansions come out every two years or so and (so far) have each added enough to drastically adjust balance. So, you'll never be stuck with the same crap for too long.

admanb on
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Whats the symbol next to magical weapon on the Cinerators card? I'd check the book but the local store still has not gotten any Mk II stuff in yet...

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's Weaponmaster. +1 die on weapon damage rolls.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Frankly, I don't know why they even bother with the symbol on Menoth troops.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Why do you guys always have your VASSAL nights on days when I play Warmachine in meatspace? DO YOU HATE ME THAT MUCH

admanb on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Really, we just get on whenever. I try to.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, goddamnit. I think the Avalancher has convinced me to try out some filthy dwarfs with my Mercenary force. I feel dirty all over.

Here's a list I've just come up with. What do y'all think?

> Gorten Grundback
    > Ghordson Avalancher heavy warjack
    > Captain Sam MacHorne & the Devil Dogs (minimum unit)
    > Lady Aiyana & Master Holt
    > Dirty Meg
    > Viktor Pendrake
    Total: 15 points

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    At 15 points, you're better off just focusing on pure Jacks. That tends to be the Mangled Metal level anyway.

Dirty Meg's interesting, but if you're running dwarves, you're better off using Thor Steinhammer. He fixes up Rhulic Jacks something fierce.

Pendrake, only use if you're fighting against Hordes. Even then, Beast Lore is nothing to write home to unless you're facing off against Circle or Legion. Some of their beasts are hard to hit.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    My gaming club are currently only playing 15 point games, but we generally have a bit of everything ('jacks, units and solos) in our lists. Of course, this means that we generally end up building lists that have some anti-jack and anti-infantry capabilities to counter each other's forces. I'm not opposed to the idea of more 'jacks, provided they keep my list in line with that thinking. Which 'jacks would you suggest?

I think I just put Meg in there because I actually own her model. Thor makes a lot more sense in this list though, so I'll try him out.

Pendrake's mainly there to act as a sort of UA to the Devil Dogs. He can knock something down with his chain bola, allowing more of the Dogs to charge whatever just got knocked down and ruin its shit. Plus, he's good for picking off the odd solo or trooper with his bow.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well I'll be damned. It knocks down now. I'd say the Devil Dogs can do that fairly well, but I guess you want to make the most out of it. What other models do you own that you can stick in there instead of Dirty Meg?

Honestly, at 15 points, just using more Jacks is more effective. Might want to make use of a Driller so you have a good melee option, though something like the Blaster is never a bad idea.

How about:

Grundback (+7)
    Avalancher 9pts (2 points in this case!)
    Driller 6 pts
    Blaster 3 pts

Leaves you with four points to play around with. These three jacks are a good foundation, especally if everyone else is using troops to some extent at 15 points.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that sounds like a pretty decent list for 15 pts. - and four points leftover is enough to take the always useful Aiyana & Holt, or a couple of solos. Beside Dirty Meg and Pendrake I currently own:

Anastasia di Bray
    Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist
    Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress

...all of whom will work for the Highborn Covenant contract. Would you recomend any combination of those over Aiyana & Holt, or am I better off sticking with them?

Alternatively, I suppose I could take a Basher instead of a Driller, which would leave me enough points for either version of Eiryss, or maybe a Bokur.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    In other news, cards for Taryn di la Rovissi exist! Spoilered for big:
    TaryndilaRovissiFront.jpg
    TaryndilaRovissiBack.jpg

She seems pretty cool.

Nechriah on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nechriah wrote: »
    Yeah, that sounds like a pretty decent list for 15 pts. - and four points leftover is enough to take the always useful Aiyana & Holt, or a couple of solos. Beside Dirty Meg and Pendrake I currently own:

Anastasia di Bray
    Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist
    Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress

...all of whom will work for the Highborn Covenant contract. Would you recomend any combination of those over Aiyana & Holt, or am I better off sticking with them?

Alternatively, I suppose I could take a Basher instead of a Driller, which would leave me enough points for either version of Eiryss, or maybe a Bokur.

...OH MY GOD TAKE LANYSSA AND GORMAN.

Gorman is a nasty, nasty little bastard. Rust is nasty on Jacks. Black Oil just ruins everyone's day. He's not that easy to take out, too.

Lanyssa? Throw Hunter's Mark on what you want the Driller to charge, sit back, and laugh.

Oh wow, Taryn's pretty cool. Iron Rot and Shadow Fire are pretty nice effects.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Dino CzarDino Czar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I've been agonizing over my Resurgence lists and I think I've got a pretty good plan. How about I share my lists so you all can either validate me or crush my poor heart?

pHaley: -5
    -Lancer: +6
    -Hammersmith: +8
    Journeyman: +3
    Swordknights x10: +6
    ATGM: +6
    -UA: +2
    --Cyclone: +9

This list is built around brushing opponents out of the scoring zones more than assassination. That said, TB + Cyclone with Critical Brutal could be pretty damaging.

eHaley: -5
    -Thorn: +8
    -Hammersmith (bonded): +8
    Squire: +2
    Rangers: +5
    Long Gunners x6: +6

Same brush back, but now with epic Haley action. Long Gunners are in because I want the full unit in the next list. That said, I'm not married to them. Rangers are for the Gun Mages and stealing my opponent's back zone.

eHaley: -5
    -Thorn: +8
    -Hammersmith (bonded): +8
    -Thunderhead: +12
    Arlan Strangeways: +2
    Squire: +2
    Stormsmith: +1
    Black 13: +4
    Rangers: +5
    Long Gunners x10: +10
    -UA

A pretty standard eHaley list, all things considered. I'm not thrilled about my lack of Storm infantry to support the T-head, but it turns out I never bought any! Guess I'll just have to support him with the long gunners instead. Between Energy Surge and my Suppressing Fire I think I'll be all right.

So yeah, anything I'm missing?

Dino Czar on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    10 Long Gunners is 10 pts., not 6 if I recall.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And man Taryn is pretty good.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    Dino CzarDino Czar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yup. And as much as I'd like to blame copy/paste for that it seems I'm a point low even with the right long gunner value!

Stormsmith implanted and lists updated!

Dino Czar on