As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game-On] WARMACHINE and HORDES Mk II - First VASSAL tournament soon fellow STALKERs!

• DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For centuries the Orgoth tyrants used their warwitches as living implements of atrocity and mass destruction. Now, hundreds of years later, the Cryxian warwitches have become icy killers, as cold in spirit as the shadows in which they are clad. Their arcane powers have been refined over time, and the witches called sirens have learned ways to seduce their enemies into annihilation.

warwitchsiren.png

The model looks a lot better in it's 3D rotation.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stunning sculpt.

General Nemo on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Looks like she's leading a parade

The BLACK PARADE

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the-black-parade--large-msg-122650942099.jpg

y/n?

General Nemo on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    terrible posts

PiptheFair on
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, got my sweet little Cygnar Faction deck yesterday and came up with a 35 point list. The Trenchers are only staying in until I can get Commandoes, as the point of this list is supposed to be an "elite strike force" theme for a campaign. Also, might use it as the 35 point list in that there event coming up if I can make it.

Siege
    -Cyclone
    -Defender
    10 Trenchers
    -UA
    Stormblades
    Black 13th

The best part is that the B13th can have both Foxhole and Trencher smoke give them Stealth. Other than that, I see it going as B13th activate first, advance and pull their shenanigans, then Stormblades advance and shoot, then Trenchers take the Order to advance, dig-in, and then smoke/shoot. Eventually Siege feats and everything dies. Any comments?

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
    edited January 2010
    Solid, though I would take away the Trencher UA for the Stormblade UA as a personal preference.

General Nemo on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cautious Advance doesn't allow them to dig-in, so it's pretty balls.

admanb on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    admanb wrote: »

Doesn't Cautious Advance exist solely for the purpose of letting Trenchers dig-in?

Cautious Advance (Order) - Each model in the unit that received this order must make a full advance as its normal movement, perform the Dig In special action, then can perform a combat action as its action.

Rainfall on
  • WIckedkarmaWIckedkarma AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just got my faction deck and my first plastic jack ( Khador ) man I really like this new plastic so far. Keep in mind I'm at work and have not tried to clean it up yet, But just looking the bits over I see almost 0 flashing /mould lines. I might change my mind when I get home but so far I'm a big fan =)

WIckedkarma on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2010
    Rainfall wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

Doesn't Cautious Advance exist solely for the purpose of letting Trenchers dig-in?

Cautious Advance (Order) - Each model in the unit that received this order must make a full advance as its normal movement, perform the Dig In special action, then can perform a combat action as its action.

lolz.

Cautious Advance doesn't allow them to smoke.

i r smrt

admanb on
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well, I kind of wanted the mobility that Cautious Advance would allow but didn't realize it didn't allow them to throw smoke, so maybe I will change to the Stormblade UA at least for the 35 point level.

At 50 I was thinking of adding ATGMs + UA with the Cyclone marshalled to them, a Squire, and maybe a Charger bonded to a JWC. But I'm not totally sure yet, since I do have PKs and SGs I could use, along with a full unit of Long Gunners I would like to work in as a firebase.

Alazull on
    edited January 2010
    Anyone else feel like the already-small role of the GMCA is being wedged into ever-tinier cracks by two-point Merc solos? I'm speaking specifically of Harlan Versh and Taryn Di La Rovissi, which you can find the cards for here, here, and here.

We all know that the GMCA has a minimal role. He's an anti-stealth model in a faction of awesome anti-stealth models. In the rare occasion where you have two points left over and haven't already taken the B13, I ask that you look through your list for two points you can free up. In the even more rare occasion where you fear massed stealth models, I ask that you consider the utility and general power of ATGMs+UA.

So instead we imagine a situation where you've already taken the B13 and have found the ATGMs unneeded. You have two points left, and Arlan/Squire/Stormsmiths have all been taken or rejected. Then we look at these mercs and find:

(1) Harlan Versh is nearly as good a solo killer, and a much more useful light infantry killer. From 16" he can move and chain up to four shots into a unit of infantry/any nearby solos. Against a unit of infantry with any kind of upkeep on them, he's even stronger. Throw in the utility of his witch hunter ability and your opponent is going to want him dead. Plus, he's stealthed.

(2) Taryn is an excellent utility piece. Warjack standing in front of an annoying solo? Shadow Fire the 'jack and pop the solo. Or you've got two shots you can fire into melee. Or a guaranteed 2d3 damage to put into a 'jack.

Phantom Seeker is nice, but way too situational. You're spending two points on a piece with one trick: hiding behind impassable terrain and shooting anything within 10" at POW10. It's easy for your opponent to avoid, and honestly not that hard to kill. The mercs lack the hiding trick, but gain straight-up power (Harlan) and utility (Taryn.)

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    My recommendation is to never give Junior a warjack unless you plan on protecting him constantly. I will hunt down Journeymen controlling warjacks to knock out a warjack (It goes inert, not autonomous when the controller dies) and I am usually successful. The only warjack I would feel safe giving to a Journeyman would be a Sniped Defender so it can stay far, far from the action.

The Gun Mage is a dip model. Let me explain what I mean.

You're taking Darius or eNemo or eStryker and your points are filled primarily by melee pieces, right? Bam, cheap solo takes out stealth models from a significant range. You don't need to devote 4 pts. to the Black 13th or 8 pts. to Gun Mages and their attachment to deal with one hole in your list. Basically, a melee-centric list can "dip" into some ranged support without committing spells and resources to supporting a whole unit of guns.

General Nemo on
    edited January 2010
    But the B13 doesn't need spells and resources. Don't think of it as four points for anti-stealth, think of it as two points for much better anti-stealth than the GMCA (either Lynch popping with a threat range of up to 20" compared to the GMCA's 14", or for bigger/grouped targets, Lynch dropping fire beacon so your entire army can tenderize it) and two points for the best anti-infantry ranged solo in the game. Seriously, Mage Storm could make Harlen Versh see the wisdom of witchcraft.

(edit: or just take two Stormsmiths. They kill stealth models with a bigger threat range AND make warjacks cry.)

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, wasn't really married to the idea of the JWC bonding a 'jack, but with what I'm thinking of taking I wouldn't mind an Arcane Shield battery. I really do like the core ideal of it because about it's only weakness would be taking out lots of heavy infantry.

Alazull on
    edited January 2010
    Alazull wrote: »
    Yeah, wasn't really married to the idea of the JWC bonding a 'jack, but with what I'm thinking of taking I wouldn't mind an Arcane Shield battery. I really do like the core ideal of it because about it's only weakness would be taking out lots of heavy infantry.

That's what feat + Cyclone is for. :P Hell, on your feat turn even your ATGMs will one-shot anything except Shocktroopers and Krielstone'd Champions (stupid ARM buffs not getting halved :P).

Three points for Arcane Shield is still often worthwhile. Though not quite as auto-include as Mk1. Consider Reinholdt, too. One point for an extra POW14 RNG14 shot is pretty damn good.

admanb on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey Nemo (and anyone else, really), if you want to wrap up last night's game I'm on VASSAL right now. I'm curious as to how quickly I'm going to get roasted.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey look guys, I just got Vassal and the Warmachine module. Isn't that exciting?

So, uh. Now what?

Jester313 on
    edited January 2010
    Say hi?

admanb on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hrm. Server's refusing my connections. This happening to anyone else?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited January 2010
    It's refusing my connection too.

Jester313 on
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It seems to be working for me.

EDIT: Hhmmmmm... ok maybe not.

EDIT the 2nd: Well it says "Welcome to the VASSAL server", but I dont see any rooms listed.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    I have the same thing happening.

Jester313 on
    edited January 2010
    Want to try a direct IP connection?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Server's having some issues. It happens. They usually resolve themselves within an hour.

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    It's definitely fixed now.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    You spoke too soon, sir.

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    appears so

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    It's possibly up.

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    Since the server is being flakey, I'm just hosting a P2P connection game for Draeven and I. If anyone cares to watch, select the File menu, go to preferences, and select the peer to peer mode. You can connect to me at 173.25.48.38:5050.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    well, you can do direct connect games :d welll, technicaly im hosting the game. so here is my ip info: 69.57.34.55:5050

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited January 2010
    I switched to P2P mode, but didn't see any place to insert the IP address.

Jester313 on
    edited January 2010
    adamnb connected to me, I'm not sure how that part actually works :P

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    I think how it works is that you can only open one-to-one connections, but you can have more than one open. Right now, all of us have connected to Erandus, so we can all see him, and he can see us, but we can't see each other.

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    Draeven's connection is all fucked, he stopped being able to see me or any moves I was making.

I dont understand how it works. :P

Max, Adam, could you see eachother, or just me?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Just you.

admanb on
    edited January 2010
    I fail to grasp the mechanic. I'm re-hosting you can try rejoining if you want.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    Ok NEW PLAN. When you're set for peer to peer, hit the invite plaeyrs button. It should show you your IP and port. Post that here.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Server's up.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg