As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[POTUS] State of the Union 2010: You guys stand and applaud! You guys stay seated.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Obama would gain +10 respect points for me if he made a statement about this PAYG bill saying basically "Listen chucklefucks, this shit is exactly what I was talking about."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Obama would gain +10 respect points for me if he made a statement about this PAYG bill saying basically "Listen silly geese, this shit is exactly what I was talking about."

big l on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait, so did Paygo just pass the Senate? Is it almost law now?

shryke on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    So you know how republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility? They hate overzealous spending and want to reign it in whenever possible. Surely they thought Obama's suggestion to reinstate pay-as-you-go was a great idea, right?

Yeah, not so much.

Well, I'm liking Brown so far.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    So you know how republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility? They hate overzealous spending and want to reign it in whenever possible. Surely they thought Obama's suggestion to reinstate pay-as-you-go was a great idea, right?

Yeah, not so much.

And by that you mean Sherrod Brown?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah, not so much.

Do you mean Scott Brown? Because he's not seated yet. The Brown that voted for this is Sherrod Brown of Ohio.

BEAT'D SILLY GOOSE IT

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PantsB wrote: »

Yeah, not so much.

Sherrod Brown is way more awesome than anything you'd expect out of Ohio though.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

Yeah, not so much.

I was looking at the wrong name but my internet went down for an hour right after I submitted that post ;_;

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there any logical reason why this wouldn't be helpful? Or am I right in thinking that it's just a bunch of whiny children disagreeing because it wasn't their idea.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Wait, so did Paygo just pass the Senate? Is it almost law now?

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/vote_menu_111_2.htm
    00014 28-Jan H.J.Res. 45 On the Joint Resolution Agreed to H. J. Res. 45 As Amended; A joint resolution increasing the statutory limit on the public debt.
    00013 28-Jan H.J.Res. 45 On the Amendment S.Amdt. 3299 Agreed to Reid Amdt. No. 3299 As Amended; In the nature of a substitute.
    00012 28-Jan H.J.Res. 45 On the Amendment S.Amdt. 3305 Agreed to Reid Amdt. No. 3305; To reimpose statutory pay-as-you-go.

MKR on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What is this pay-as-you-go thing?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It's one of the rare things in legislation that is exactly what it sounds like.

MKR on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there any logical reason why this wouldn't be helpful? Or am I right in thinking that it's just a bunch of whiny children disagreeing because it wasn't their idea.

That's exactly it. They're whiny children and any win for the democrats makes the republicans look bad.

The thing to know about pubs is that they don't have any goals, any ideals, or any inkling to actually govern. All they want to do is win, hold their seat, and win again in the next election. If something is not democrat and somewhat popular, they are for it. If something is seen as being democratic, then they are against it. Simple as that.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »

It doesn't sound like anything. What am I paying as I'm going?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Its a rule, most recently in effect from 1990-2002 (IIRC) that means if you propose new spending you have to offset that spending elsewhere or identify a revenue stream to pay for it (taxes, fees, etc).

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Derrick wrote: »
    The thing to know about pubs is that they don't have any goals, any ideals, or any inkling to actually govern. All they want to do is win, hold their seat, and win again in the next election. If something is not democrat and somewhat popular, they are for it. If something is seen as being democratic, then they are against it. Simple as that.

They absolutely do have goals; they've just decided that the best long-term strategy for affecting them is a slash-and-burn fuck-the-country-now plan for getting the democrats swept out of office.

Once they control everything again it'll be back to tax cuts and banning abortion.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Its a rule, most recently in effect from 1990-2002 (IIRC) that means if you propose new spending you have to offset that spending elsewhere or identify a revenue stream to pay for it (taxes, fees, etc).

Ah. And I see all Republicans voted against it. I'm shocked. Democrats better start hitting this shit in the lead up to November.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I think this is one of those situations where by knowing it, it seems obvious to me. :D

Pants nailed it.

MKR on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So they want to run legislation the way I run my cell phone.

Sounds good to me, I've saved hundreds of dollars on this thing.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Ah. And I see all Republicans voted against it. I'm shocked. Democrats better start hitting this shit in the lead up to November.

Well, from a Republican perspective, I suppose you could see the result of PAYG being taxes getting raised to pay for programs that you don't think should exist at the Federal level in the first place.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hope I hear about this outside of PA...it seems like everything that makes me frown I see everywhere but everything that makes me smile doesnt get passed these forums or blogs...

Dems need to hammer the pubs on this. I cant even see a valid excuse for them other then "well...it wasnt our idea..."

like its disgusting how they refuse to do their damned jobs. I really wish Obama would just wonder if he even wants a second term of this crap, give up trying to appear political and call them out. Give a speech where he literally says "your job is NOT to get re-elected, your job is to serve the American people, do your god damned jobs! That goes for you too democrats!"

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I hope I hear about this outside of PA...it seems like everything that makes me frown I see everywhere but everything that makes me smile doesnt get passed these forums or blogs...

Dems need to hammer the pubs on this. I cant even see a valid excuse for them other then "well...it wasnt our idea..."

like its disgusting how they refuse to do their damned jobs. I really wish Obama would just wonder if he even wants a second term of this crap, give up trying to appear political and call them out. Give a speech where he literally says "your job is NOT to get re-elected, your job is to serve the American people, do your god damned jobs! That goes for you too democrats!"

"Mitch McConnell? I don't even know, man...he's a jackass."

mcdermott on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I really wish Obama would just wonder if he even wants a second term of this crap, give up trying to appear political and call them out. Give a speech where he literally says "your job is NOT to get re-elected, your job is to serve the American people, do your god damned jobs! That goes for you too democrats!"
    He literally just said nearly exactly that in the State of the Union. And called out both parties for election fever.

gilrain on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, Ive been busy as heck the last two days and havent had a chance to watch it...so, props to him. Hopefully ill be able to bask in the glory of him doing so this weekend. My bad.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damnit. Lugar voted Nay on PAYGO. Wtf Lugar, you're supposed to be one of the "not crazy as fuck" ones.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damnit. Lugar voted Nay on PAYGO. Wtf Lugar, you're supposed to be one of the "not crazy as fuck" ones.

Still walks the party line, he'll cross party lines when convenient, but ain't no one from the pubs going to put their name on dem legislation.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    the color of the dress was good on her. But whenever she stood up, the cut of it was like "whoa, ghettobooty!" It was not a flattering dress by any measure.

Am I the only one slightly worried about this VA Gov come 2012?

McDonnell? He's unlikely to be terribly good as a national candidate. But you never know.

EDIT: Hell, Scott Brown is more likely at this rate.

True, last night he seemed to pander quite a bit to Virginia, but give him 2 years and I'm sure his staff can have him doing national level pandering.

He's young, fairly good-looking and charismatic. On Television, he seemed almost like a perfect counter to Obama.

Also, his speech smacked of the type of Republicanism that I recognize. He was not overly to the Right, he was not a complete nutjob. His speech actually made the beginnings of real arguments against the President and what the rest of us want.

Of course, he screwed up on the offshore drilling part, but that's minor.

As far as looks and potential, I would say that McDonnell is just as likely, if not more so than Palin.

At least, if anybody in the RNC knows what they're doing.

Palin is near the bottom of my list of "Republicans likely to make a decent run in 2012".

Your list, but not necessarily the RNC's.

Jindal got his shot last year at becoming a national face, and he blew it. He becamea national name, but one that was filled with mockery. So obviously trying to combat Brown with Brown just wasn't going to work this year. And the RNC, while they haven't shown a lot of restraint on being silly geese lately, is not stupid enough to put Palin in front of a microphone like that (besides, I'm not sure she cannow being an unelected official and a Pundit now...).

I know it seems a bit odd, but I don't think that McDonnell crashed and burned in his introduction to the National Stage last night. And again, the RNC is looking for Potential. Yes, Scott Brown is their darling right now and McDonnell gave him the requisite fellatio in the speech last night, but they want to keep Scott Brown where he is. In the senate. Being all number 41 and such.

Last night's rebuttal and next years as well are going to be the testing grounds for the GOP candidate in 2012. Find somebody who can not only follow Obama convincingly, but who can easily match the President on other intangible factors.

At least, that's how I see what happened last night. the RNC got their silly goose heads out of their silly goose asses for at least one night and they put on a stage show that worked.

Don't discount Jindal yet. Clinton's first national speech at the Democratic National Convention was widely mocked. People actually applauded when he said "In conclusion" because the speech was almost over. Single speeches have a habit of being forgotten. That said, anyone's greatest asset for forging forward in the GOP is the fact that such a void has been left since the Bush administration. They were all so stigmatized that no one heavily affiliated with them is likely to be able to run. As such, the GOP list for 2012 is very, very short.

Times have changed since Clinton gave his first speech though.

In what way? People still have short memories.

But National Exposure on this kind of shit is WAY bigger.

I think you guys are insane if you honestly believe he responded directly in any way to the president. We must be reading different transcripts. He was so vague it wasn't even funny.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/28/AR2010012803729.html
    On Thursday, Republicans sent their answer.

The Senate took a vote on extending the federal debt ceiling -- without which the United States would go into default. All 40 Republicans voted no.

The Senate took a vote on requiring Congress not to pass legislation that it can't pay for. All 40 Republicans voted no.

The Senate took a final vote on passing the overall plan. Thirty-nine Republicans voted no. The 40th, Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), skipped the vote.

The state of the union is . . . unchanged.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/28/AR2010012803729.html

The Senate took a vote on extending the federal debt ceiling -- without which the United States would go into default. All 40 Republicans voted no.

The Senate took a vote on requiring Congress not to pass legislation that it can't pay for. All 40 Republicans voted no.

The Senate took a final vote on passing the overall plan. Thirty-nine Republicans voted no. The 40th, Sen. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), skipped the vote.

Holy shit, from Dana Milbank?! Wow.

AND it includes this quote?!
    Baucus, the Democratic floor leader, realized he was wasting his breath. "I think we all know where we are," he said before one of Thursday's votes, declining the time he had been given to speak.

Maybe they ARE finally getting it!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You guys need to watch this House Republican conference Obama's at when cspan replays it. Obama's just not taking any crap.

He just flat out said [paraphrased slightly]"your whole question was structured as a campaign talking point."

MKR on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I love how the first vote and the second vote essentially contradict each other. (Let's let us have more debt (NO!) let's make sure we pay for everything (NO!).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You guys need to watch this House Republican conference Obama's at when cspan replays it. Obama's just not taking any crap.

He just flat out said [paraphrased slightly]"your whole question was structured as a campaign talking point."

:^:

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    link that isnt tv?

different speech wise, i am looking forward to see palin speak/crash when she is at the tea party convention trying to get the tea party to join the republican party (and to take 100k)

Barcardi on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I hope that this ushers in a new era of not taking shit, because honestly portraying the republicans as a bunch of obstructionist silly gooses, is exactly how they should be treated. Will americans out of work think its hilarious that republicans keep voting no on everything? Doubtful.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At the end of McDonnells speech where he lists off the responsibilities of government...

"...where opportunity is absent, we must create it."
    "...where opportunity is limited, we must expand it."
    "...where opportunity is unequal, we must make it open to everyone."

I couldn't help but think of same-sex marriage at that point. Granted I've been following the prop 8 trial so it's been at the front of my mind. At first glance it would seem that talk like this would make him a supporter of you know, equality.
    Skip to 4:10 for horror

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »

I love how the first vote and the second vote essentially contradict each other. (Let's let us have more debt (NO!) let's make sure we pay for everything (NO!).

Are you the party of "no"?

NO!

Clevinger on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2010
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »

Are you the party of "no"?

NO!
    NO!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

I hope that this ushers in a new era of not taking shit, because honestly portraying the republicans as a bunch of obstructionist silly gooses, is exactly how they should be treated. Will americans out of work think its hilarious that republicans keep voting no on everything? Doubtful.

The overall theme was "We've all been silly geese, but you guys have been laying it on thick. Let's drop the act."

MKR on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hope this is the first sign of a Howard Beale-style freak out on Obama's part. That'd be awesome.

Hachface on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    AP wrote:

BALTIMORE - In a face-to-face encounter, President Barack Obama chastised Republican lawmakers Friday for opposing him on health care, economic stimulus and other major issues.

Republicans pushed back on taxes and spending, and accused Obama of not taking their ideas seriously.

Obama, attending the House Republicans' retreat in Baltimore, began with conciliatory remarks but soon became more pointed. He said a GOP-driven "politics of no" was blocking action on bills that could help Americans obtain jobs and health care.

In a sometimes-barbed exchange, he said some in the audience have attended ribbon-cutting ceremonies for projects funded by the stimulus package they voted against. Obama also questioned why Republicans have overwhelmingly opposed his tax-cut policies, which he said have benefited 95 percent of American families.

"The notion that this was a radical package is just not true," Obama said. "I am not an ideologue."

GOP lawmakers pressed the president to pledge to support a line-item veto for spending bills and across-the-board tax cuts. Obama demurred, saying billionaires don't need new tax cuts.

In his opening remarks, Obama criticized a Washington culture driven by opinion polls and nonstop political campaigns.

"I don't think the American people want us to focus on our job security, they want us to focus on their job security," he said.

The president acknowledged that Republicans have joined Democrats in some efforts, such as sending more U.S. troops to Afghanistan. But he said he was disappointed and perplexed by virtually unanimous GOP opposition to other programs, such as the $787 billion economic stimulus bill enacted a year ago.
    He also noted overwhelming Republican opposition to his proposed overhaul of the nation's health care, which now is in legislative peril. Obama said he would gladly look at better ideas, but he urged Republicans to acknowledge the difficulties that many Americans face in obtaining good health care.

Obama said it makes ideological sense for Democrats and Republicans to work together on some issues such as charging fees to banks that benefited from a federal bailout, temporarily freezing some government spending, keeping jobs from being exported and paying for new government programs when they are created.

Republicans have sharply criticized Obama's approach to most of these issues.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)