Options

Ar Tonelico III -- Tales of Boobies

AroducAroduc regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
I TIRE OF THE OLD AT2 THREAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLnNHF_-OPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsFptbyQcZs
Zandracon wrote: »
Welp, there's a teaser trailer up, as well as some game images.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyvXZp5gylE
th_8ec3918f.jpg
39d09035.jpg
th_56b50dfc.jpg
th_635a1840.jpg
th_fe9d9b9a.jpg

Zandracon wrote: »
New stuff for the new year.
Song Preview

Some images of characters:
8023dc61.jpg
3a0d41bb.jpg
2befa930.jpg

Looks like this is showing off talk topics for vanguards, and some item synthesis:
4479be7a.jpg
dc127367.jpg

A newish character:
f7ac6404.jpg

AND A BRAND NEW PV SHOWING OFF THE NEW "Guard the Revy" system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-01KSGAGGXo

I'm digging the change again to a more Tales based engine, but kind of like SO4's attempt to be Tales, I'm wary of it being half-assed and terrible as their first attempt. Cutting away constantly to show the revys strip and watch their boobs jiggle also seems... uh... less than a wise design decision.

Of course, I also don't own a PS3, so this is largely academic for me.

Aroduc on

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you happen to want to know the voice actors who're singing:
    - Shikata Akiko (Sings Saki Hymmnos)
    - Shimotsuki Haruka (Sings Finnel Hymmnos)
    - Katakiri Rekka (Sings Cocona Hymmnos)
    - Inoue Azumi
    - Ueno Youko
    - Au (member of Gusya Ningen?)
    - KOKIA (Sings Tilia/Tyria Hymmnos)
    - Togawa Haruka
    - Mitose Noriko
    - Yura Yayoi

Zandracon on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Buying the game for the soundtrack. It's also my guilty pleasure game, but seriously. Soundtrack. If even one song is as good as Replakia or Deathpedia it will have been worth the purchase.

Edit: We don't have a US date yet correct?

Gilder on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2010
    We don't even have a US confirmation technically.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah but this isn't like Vesperia PS3, we know we're getting this. They have to make up for the hackjob they pulled on AT2. They can't let the series end with half voices, typos everywhere, and a game freezing bug. Besides, it's not like NISA is working on too much right now. After that one other PS3 game and Sakura Wars, which they're pretty much already done with, they're out of console stuff. All they'll have is Prinny 2 and Badman 2. I don't think the PSP is going to sustain them.

Gilder on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guilty Pleasure game indeed, that is so what it is for me as well. The music sounds beautiful, I didn't expect anything else though :)

That being said...I really, REALLY don't like the character design of main and the two revytails. I hope requisite hidden 3rd revytail is a bit...more to my taste I suppose, I can't put my finger on what I'm not thrilled with.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Yeah but this isn't like Vesperia PS3, we know we're getting this. They have to make up for the hackjob they pulled on AT2. They can't let the series end with half voices, typos everywhere, and a game freezing bug. Besides, it's not like NISA is working on too much right now. After that one other PS3 game and Sakura Wars, which they're pretty much already done with, they're out of console stuff. All they'll have is Prinny 2 and Badman 2. I don't think the PSP is going to sustain them.
    Assuming "that one other PS3 game" is Last Rebellion, I think you're forgetting Atelier Rorona.

wateyad on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hmm, the "new-ish" character has a different weapon than before. I wonder why.

Also, shouldn't the title be "Tales of Boobia," since every Tales game except Abyss and the spinoffs end in -ia? Not sure how I feel about AT3 going from turn-based to real time combat (to relate to the aforementioned comparison to Star Ocean 4 trying to be the Tales series), since I did like the timed button presses to defend in AT2.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Re: Last Video:

So ... Giant Cake Attack?

Would having sound turned on help this make any more sense? Or am I just helpless because I've never played an AT game?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I don't know.

Game-ending glitch aside and customization that wasn't worth bothering with. I liked AT2 more than AT1 in almost every way.

But yeah, I'm guessing you're talking mostly about the technical issues. Which I agree with.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What I hated most about AT2 was how it had more voice acting in the cosmospheres than in the story segments. And it wasn't like it was a bad dub; I thought AT2 had really good VA.

Also, here's some box art.

20us7s4.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, shouldn't the title be "Tales of Boobia," since every Tales game except Abyss and the spinoffs end in -ia?

You're right. Except for Destiny, Destiny 2, Rebirth, Innocence, Hearts and Graces.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there something wrong about going to a Tales of / Star Ocean type battle system? I happen to like them.

And fuck, I still need to go back and play ATII before ATIII releases.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there something wrong about going to a Tales of / Star Ocean type battle system? I happen to like them.

And fuck, I still need to go back and play ATII before ATIII releases.

As Star Ocean 4 proved, there are little things that we take for granted with the Tales engine. Like the ability to target enemies. Or any iota of balance. Namco's had decades to work these out. Gust's staff likes to get drunk and hold press conferences where they announce that their characters will strip and perform pole dances to save the world.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    As Star Ocean 4 proved, there are little things that we take for granted with the Tales engine. Like the ability to target enemies. Or any iota of balance. Namco's had decades to work these out. Gust's staff likes to get drunk and hold press conferences where they announce that their characters will strip and perform pole dances to save the world.

Yeah, the 360 SO4 battle system was flawed.
    That doesn't mean that SO3 doesn't have one of the single most perfect action battle systems ever made.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I do not see the righteous tits I expected and desired

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The main character looks less like he has hair and more like he has a poodle fused to his skull.

It's something about the fluffyness of his hair.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    The main character looks less like he has hair and more like he has a poodle fused to his skull.

Yeah, I just can good used to it.

And what is in with Japan and chicks wearing mismatched stockings?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    None of the three look appealing this time around.

At least Croix had glasses. And the best final attack ever.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Yeah, I just can good used to it.

And what is in with Japan and chicks wearing mismatched stockings?

I have no idea, but I hate it. There's a character in Growlanser 4 that does it and it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Anyone with common sense should realize a solid pink stocking and a striped blue-and-white one do not match.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Battles look more fun than AT II.

But what will NISA have to do to ruin this game?

Quarter speech and deletes your hard drive? Half speech and scratches your blu-ray disk? Esperanto subtitles only?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It'll only run on PS3s with the emotion engine.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The third Reyvateil better be amazing to make up for those two.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Also, shouldn't the title be "Tales of Boobia," since every Tales game except Abyss and the spinoffs end in -ia?

You're right. Except for Destiny, Destiny 2, Rebirth, Innocence, Hearts and Graces.

Well, that's what I get for having Symphonia as my introduction to the Tales series. And just plain forgetting about all of them since then aside from Abyss, Legendia, Symphonia 2, and Vesperia. :?

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No Tempest love?

That means you must have played it!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SomethingorotherSomethingorother Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hey guize I'm on my way through Ar Tonelico I right now, and I like it alright. Quick question!
    Being buggy as fuck as far as I've read, should I stay away from II or is it still worth getting?

Somethingorother on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's worth it, it's not so much that it's buggy as it is just lacking polish. There's one bug where a boss will freeze the game on her third attack but you can beat her in one turn anyway if you go completely overkill. Other than that it's just a lot of typos and a lack of voice acting where there was originally.

Gilder on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I know a dude that has AT2. I enjoyed the first game, even though it really had no business being so compelling. Should I go for the sequel?

EDIT: I should have read the whole thread.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited January 2010
    No Tempest love?

That means you must have played it!

They also kicked it out of the main series after the fact.

========
    AT2's okay, but it turns the synthesis into a never ending nightmare, and dive therapy is just really horrible in every way... which is okay, because if you spend even two hours doing the Replakia nonsense, you'll be able to kill the last boss before it gets a chance to make a third attack.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AT2's biggest problem is that both bitches be crazy.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    AT2's biggest problem is that both bitches be crazy.

And that's the reason why there's the third girl.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, but sadly some people end up locking themselves into the path of one of the other two before they see her. Then they feel the deepest regret.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well crap, I'm going to FINALLY start on my copy of AT2 in the next couple of weeks (and I fully plan to use whatever FAQ/cheats necessary to make sure I get the right girl).

Is the 3rd girl really better than either of the first two?

Man AT1 was good...all 3 were VERY awesome chicks.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    No contest. The main two have serious issues. You'll hate them both.

You won't need a FAQ, either. It just amounts to not going past a certain level in the main two's cosmosphere(which will be made obvious).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Battles look more fun than AT II.

But what will NISA have to do to ruin this game?

Quarter speech and deletes your hard drive? Half speech and scratches your blu-ray disk? Esperanto subtitles only?

Did I miss something? When did NISA become EA?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

You won't need a FAQ, either. It just amounts to not going past a certain level in the main two's cosmosphere(which will be made obvious).

Actually, I really found them no more annoying than the two from the first game, and at least they weren't completely boring like the girls from the first.

I guess I've pretty much figured that "Bitches be crazy" is just an AT staple or something.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Actually, I really found them no more annoying than the two from the first game, and at least they weren't completely boring like the girls from the first.

I guess I've pretty much figured that "Bitches be crazy" is just an AT staple or something.

I kind of feel the same. The girls from the second are crazy, that's for sure, but I didn't find it that offputting.

From my own experience, I guess I've pretty much figured that all bitches be crazy, video game or not, and learned to deal with it :lol:

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Well ok, how "closer to Aurica than Misha" or are these new girls so far off from either of those? Luca looks (like I said, haven't played it yet) sorta Misha ish, but Cloche looks...like an uptight AT1 3rd Revy?

(is is necessary to spoiler out the name of AT1's third revy?)

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Well ok, how "closer to Aurica than Misha" or are these new girls so far off from either of those? Luca looks (like I said, haven't played it yet) sorta Misha ish, but Cloche looks...like an uptight AT1 3rd Revy?

(is is necessary to spoiler out the name of AT1's third revy?)

Hmm...they're kind of different. I mean they still complain all the same, just about different things.

I guess though...Cloche would be somewhat similar to Misha and that she is forced to do something she doesn't really want to.

And Cloche is your basically Rich Girl Tsundere who just wants someone to see the "real" her. :cry:

So...basically, yeah. If you've watched any anime at all, the personalities aren't hard to figure out.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Look there's absolutely no reason to go with either of the starting two in AT2. They both suck really badly. The third is great though. She's sarcastic and hilarious. The others just get on your nerves and are such bitches that your own character gets fed up with their shit.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Look there's absolutely no reason to go with either of the starting two in AT2. They both suck really badly. The third is great though. She's sarcastic and hilarious. The others just get on your nerves and are such bitches that your own character gets fed up with their shit.

You know...I never bother romancing Jacqli. Because, while her first 5 spheres are fun, I was pretty sure that it was going to start turning a lot more "emo" if I went further into that rabbit hole. And I wouldn't want my opinion of her character to change.

The other two girls. They were pretty much like that from the start, so it was consistent with them.

Dragkonias on