As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

vector me/Quantum of Solace/flame bot(Pg2)

u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" WoodRegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Would you like some delicious juice?
tibbsdrinkmix02gt6.jpg
Nah. Probably not.

As an alleged graphic design major, I decided to do some actual graphic designing for once. In case it's not obvious, the packaging is supposed to be brown paper.

u63r on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Before I say anything; what kind of look were you going for? I mean, does it look so serious on purpose?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    That thing just screams "regular bowel movements".

tynic on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    tynic wrote:
    That thing just screams "regular bowel movements".
    Oh my gosh I think I broke something laughing at this.

They're right, though. And "Tibbs and Son" sort of sounds like a funeral home. This might make for a nice wine label, but it seems too solemn for juice.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just an example because I think a picture can explain better then what I can express in words.

graperedoin9.jpg

Your going to want to think of a few things in product design though, your target market, and then also how to attract people not in your market.

Your original might work fine for someone who already buys organic drinks, but it wont attract people not already buying the products. You want to express the product through the packaging and yours unfortunately tells me that im 80 years old and need to get a diuretic and some metamucel.

Veritas on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks like he was going for something like the Sugar in the Raw packets combined with a wine label.

I dont know shit about this kind of design, though, listen to Toaster.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Before I say anything; what kind of look were you going for? I mean, does it look so serious on purpose?
    I think it's looks great for what it's trying to accomplish.

The package style reminds me of coffee.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The package is also good when you consider the market. It is organic juice and that invites a more health savvy buyer so even "regular bowel movements" could very well be a positive selling point in that case.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It is not making me thirsty

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Instead of having brown paper, turning that into a pastel green or something with color would change everything.

[edit] Holy crap, I just got that it was juice mix. I thought it was a juice box. Well, still, add some color to the ugly paper. It looks like oatmeal, and the version with the picture of the grapes by Veritas looks like a seed package.

Notice, I just proved that people don't even read the name before looking at the package. The packaging should convey what the product is, even without words.

[edit again] This screams grape flavor more than brown-blob-maybe-oatmeal-or-possibly-prunes-or-maybe-just-a-package-of-seeds flavor.

qtqtny4.jpg

Good job with the composition though.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I could be in the juice row and I wouldn't think anything labelled in brown packaging to be juice. Color is a must.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Duly noted, all. Thanks, guys. Also, veritas' revision looks much better than my original. And I don't know if there actually is such a thing as organic drink mix.

u63r on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hipsterfairywippp5.jpg
    Help! How do I make this not look like crap?

u63r on
  • Options
    vicevice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh God! I just had an orgasm from your drawing.

How do you ever get so good?

vice on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Need to refine the shadows, lose the white background, stop using white for highlights and you'll be on the right track.

Grifter on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just seems kind of blurry and undefined. Did you have any sort of lineart for this in the first place?

Using a stronger color than your background for base colors is always a good idea. The shading could be stronger/more defined too, you need to mark out planes. Right now it looks like she's made of plasticine.

I'm very new to coloring myself, but this is what's helped me so far.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    Kaptain HKaptain H Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think the package could stand to use at least one other color, to lessen that medicinal vibe a lot of people seem to be getting from it. As far as the designs you posted, I like the bottom right and the one right above it the best, although I would prefer to see the grapes off to the right a little more on the lower right version instead of right in the middle.

I could see this easily as the design for the little envelopes that powdered mix comes in, actually.

Kaptain H on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ps3tansmpv3.jpg

Resized to 66.7%. Can you guess the two things I tried to combine?

u63r on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    S&M and opera?

anable on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    SM and some sort of pope-ish outfit, but now that you mention it, I did watch the Fifth Element recently.

u63r on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    a353 crimson
    I don't feel I have strong enough contrast here.
    a353crimsonki3.jpg

u63r on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I would agree on the contrast cos I really can't tell what I'm looking at... I'll take a whack at it in a moment

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I can't really tell what it is either. Try making it clearer somehow.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    harry potter (spoiler free. I have not read the book, plz to not be spoiling me kthnx)
    a340harrypotterjg7.png

boxcutter
    a339boxcutterxm0.png

u63r on
  • Options
    JandissJandiss Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    am I odd for wanting that pic of a boxcutter on a white tee-shirt?

Jandiss on
  • Options
    Mr. H.G. BlobMr. H.G. Blob Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I like that boxcutter too for some reason.

Mr. H.G. Blob on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Jandiss wrote: »
    Not unless it's still 2002.

u63r on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like Harry, but feel he needs more scarf action.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    banolate: delicious? Or....SATAN?

I had planned to add one as a sash, but by the time I remembered, it was ALREADY TOO LATE.

a327_banolate_by_u63r.png

u63r on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've decided "choconana" flows better. I thought you were trying to say "ban-oh-layt" when I saw the thread title.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    a322_jesus_christ_by_u63r.png
    a321_tentacle_yurei_by_u63r.png

u63r on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    my_tabet_is_dead_by_u63r.png

outboard_brain_by_u63r.png
    The one above looks better on a white BG. For some reason, it didn't anti-alias properly for the transparency bit.

rocket_hamster_by_u63r.png

EDIT: If any of them look weird, it's cause the contrast is all screwy on this monitor.

u63r on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was wondering why I couldn't remember posting in this thread. Nice comeback.

anable on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Contrast looks fine, drawings look awesome! I fookin love them, now go do some more so I can steal your ideas!

Mustang on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    how did you export that brain image? if you use Photoshop's save for web feature, you can set the matte color to whatever you specify - for an image like that, you would definitely not want to use white.

of course, using a PNG format rather than GIF would give you a much wider gamut to work with and it supports a much better transparency mode, but if you needed gif, I would have used a light blue tone for the matte rather than white.

nice stuff, though. very stylized and fun.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jandiss wrote: »

As long as it had on it "I'm the box cutter" because it's so deliciously ambiguis and wierd.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    how did you export that brain image? if you use Photoshop's save for web feature, you can set the matte color to whatever you specify - for an image like that, you would definitely not want to use white.

of course, using a PNG format rather than GIF would give you a much wider gamut to work with and it supports a much better transparency mode, but if you needed gif, I would have used a light blue tone for the matte rather than white.

nice stuff, though. very stylized and fun.
    Save for Web, PNG-8. I didn't know about the Matte; thanks.

Also, I use PNGs because DA doesn't require a separate image as a thumb. I know there are other good reasons, but they don't matter much to me.

u63r on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    why png-8? file size?

png-24 allows muuuuch, muuuuch better transparency. It preserves the entire alpha channel.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Because when I started using it I wanted to make an image DeviantART didn't need a separate thumbnail for, but I still wanted a fairly small file size. And that was one of the few times I've actually used PNG transparency.

u63r on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    rainbowpiebyu63rza3.png

mywallereviewbyu63rva2.png

u63r on
  • Options
    edited September 2008