As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Corporate America, Or, Everything you believe has been sold to you

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    OP, how do I know you're not just telling me to think what they want us to think

zomgz

Sam on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Finding it funny that today's comic is oddly relevant to this thread.

Newtron on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the simplest and most effective method would be to start a terrorist organization and using a combination of bombings, gas attacks, and suicide gunmen, systematically eliminate the heads of the media and attack its infrastructure, along with any politicians clearly on the take

Not the most rational or sane approach, but historically extremist violence actually does work if applied relentlessly (I mean fuck, the 9/11 terror attacks have caused us to harm ourselves more than they ever could, just as an example)

override367 on
  • Options
    SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Terrorism, in this case, would be an bad way of affecting change. Change happens, but so often not in the way intended. It would further encourage the ideology of elimination of dissenting opinions.

I advocate more ruthless indoctrination at early stages in the education system. Force an integration to cut across racial and other divides, ensuring that children grow up surrounded by peers and authority figures of all varieties of gender, race, and sexual orientation.

Emphasize respect and knowledge of others' opinions and beliefs, as well as encouraging competition on an individual basis.

Rearranging the population of the entire country is of course not a viable option, but since someone's already said 'kill people and blow up buildings' how much more ridiculous could it get?

But in truth, I do believe that a great deal of political and corporate shenanigans occurs due to a breakdown in just a few individuals. As much of a logical fallacy as the slippery slope analogy is, a system of law, of governance, or of regulation and policy always relies greatly on a small number of key individuals holding on to a morality compatible with that system. When those individuals fail, the system is left that much worse for their failing, and it is so very easy for entropy to take hold.

Sepah on
  • Options
    MegaforceMegaforce __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Lets see, we have high unemployment and a semi-strong stock market. I seriously think companies are taking advantage of the shitty economy by making their employees work hard out of fear of no finding a job and with shitty pay and no raises.

Megaforce on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Megaforce wrote: »
    Lets see, we have high unemployment and a semi-strong stock market. I seriously think companies are taking advantage of the shitty economy by making their employees work hard out of fear of no finding a job and with shitty pay and no raises.

Well, of course - when you operate under a capitalist ideology, why should an employer pay its employees more than they should?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »

Well, of course - when you operate under a capitalist ideology, why should an employer pay its employees more than they should?

I can leave and find a higher paying job under said capitalist ideology but there is none... yet! Hence, companies are taking advantage where they can.

Megaforce on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2010

Or the stock market is a forward looking indicator while unemployment is a lagging indicator, i.e. - reality.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Do not think for a moment that there is anything that separates Air America and Rush Limbaugh. This is a show. Bread and circus. The WWE for your mind.

The distinction that Rush Limbaugh deals in anti-human atavistic evil while Air America eats peace and rainbows and shits carebears and love is nothing to the fact that both are entertainment programs.

Remember Ann Coulter on The Boondocks?

"I just wanted summa dat Redneck money!"

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I can leave and find a higher paying job under said capitalist ideology but there is none... yet! Hence, companies are taking advantage where they can.

My father (a consultant generally for startups) and I have been having this conversation over the last few months. He works with a lot of companies, and the general trend is that corporations are realizing they can pull the same profits with less employees.

We both doubt that it's a particularly long-term issue and that hiring will start to pick up, but it's also worth noting that the majority of the unemployment comes from two sources: 1) that under-educated, working-class persons are much harder pressed to find sustainable income, and 2) that there are tons of jobs available, just not always the people in that place to fill them. I think it is North Carolina or Dakota where there are thousands of jobs in nursing, yet a very small pool of certified applicants.

We may, in a few years, see a vast increase in employer-paid education, but that's just a wild speculation.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Or the stock market is a forward looking indicator while unemployment is a lagging indicator, i.e. - reality.

Lagging with packet-loss :P

Megaforce on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Another white hetero male saying that the op is pretty damn thorough, I'm gonna look into watching those videos and such when I get some time, or am not at work. I've already become pretty disengaged from mass media, so it's good to see more exploration of why I felt that way.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Consuming Kids series is particularly disheartening, but very informative - even if they did make a commercial clip appear to be about a child wanting candy when it was in reality a commercial advocating birth control.

The idea that children are being considered a viable marketing group even before they reach preschool is several levels of disturbing to me.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The Consuming Kids series is particularly disheartening, but very informative - even if they did make a commercial clip appear to be about a child wanting candy when it was in reality a commercial advocating birth control.

The idea that children are being considered a viable marketing group even before they reach preschool is several levels of disturbing to me.

Which is a great reason not to contribute to the mess.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    The OP is basically a journalism class I took at HSU, and I actually recognize a bunch of the same graphics that teacher used.

Scrum on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Scrum wrote: »
    The OP is basically a journalism class I took at HSU, and I actually recognize a bunch of the same graphics that teacher used.

I noticed some of the threads here looked ripped from a college course.

Megaforce on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Back in high school an english teacher of mine during my junior year had us watch a video that dealt with pretty much the OP but with more focus on Corporations and how they market to teens.

I remember feeling very angry and used. That my generation's social identity had been manufactured by the older generation simply for their own profit, and that we had no true identity to call our own.

I've cooled since then, but between that, the courses in college with critical thinking and the mass media, the military industiral complex, and the Bush years, it left me pretty cynical and jaded.

Havelock on
  • Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Havelock wrote: »
    I've cooled since then, but between that, the courses in college with critical thinking and the mass media, the military industiral complex, and the Bush years, it left me pretty cynical and jaded.

Who is not these days? Even those who attempt to live in their own little delusional fantasy world are jaded or disillusioned about something. So, yeah, we are all right there with you.

Prospero on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And so is HOT TOPIC, the store for all your JADED AND CYNICAL attire and accessories!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    And so is HOT TOPIC, the store for all your JADED AND CYNICAL attire and accessories!

:^:

Especially because that's exactly how they market themselves and nobody seems to catch on.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    ProsperoProspero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

It is not nice to make fun of jaded people. D:

Also, Hot Topic is for teen angst, not actually being jaded which comes from time and experience. Not a need to rebel because it is "hip."

Prospero on
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The OP was a good read. As someone above mentioned, I've pretty much cut mainstream media from my life. I watch shit TV on the internet, never prescribe to mainstream news websites, and try to avoid the mass media if at all possible. Sure, there are 20 second clips on Hulu, and commercials at the movie theaters these days, but I pay little to no attention.

Well, except for those wicked inspirational Levi jeans commercials. har har har

How do you guys respond to this stuff? How to you object or fight the system?

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

It's a decent little program, but it's far too much:
    <Creepy Music>
    "Advertising will RAPE YOUR CHILDREN TILL THEY BLEED AND CONTRACT AIDS!!!!!"
    "Man, wasn't stuff so much better back in the 50s when life was simple and black people couldn't use the same fountains."

The funny part of the whole thing, imo, is just how easy most of the shit they are talking about is to stop on an individual basis.

It's like "Youth Advertising works because most parents are morons who'd prefer if TV raised their kids for them."

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    shryke wrote: »

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>
    "Man, wasn't stuff so much better back in the 50s when life was simple and black people couldn't use the same fountains."

The funny part of the whole thing, imo, is just how easy most of the shit they are talking about is to stop on an individual basis

It's like "Youth Advertising works because most parents are morons who'd prefer if TV raised their kids for them."

It's hard when the lower class are working two jobs to pay for rent, heating, food, and medical and when success is universally accepted as making money by many in society instead of raising competent children.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

The funny part of the whole thing, imo, is just how easy most of the shit they are talking about is to stop on an individual basis

It's hard when the lower class are working two jobs to pay for rent, heating, food, and medical and when success is universally accepted as making money by many in society instead of raising competent children.

This is almost verbatim what I was going to post...

I like you.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

This is almost verbatim what I was going to post...

I like you.

Our culture has some seriously messed up priorities.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Havelock wrote: »
    Back in high school an english teacher of mine during my junior year had us watch a video that dealt with pretty much the OP but with more focus on Corporations and how they market to teens.

I remember feeling very angry and used. That my generation's social identity had been manufactured by the older generation simply for their own profit, and that we had no true identity to call our own.

Havelock, you could argue that since the advent of mass media, the collective identity of a generation was manufactured by advertising firms.

Do you think the greaser v. jock culture of the 50s wasn't designed to sell trendy clothes, haircuts and cars?

Robman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

I don't see how it takes that much time to not buy your kids a cellphone.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

That isn't really addressing my point.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    shryke, do you have kids?

Robman on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, the Century of Self is pretty depressing, and informative. And long.

I can't say I'm particularly well-informed about psychology but it's always evoked a sort of innate disgust within me. It's just that there are always psychiatrists and psychologists fucking around with the most essential part of a person (often times leaving them damaged for life) with ECT and lobotomies and drugs whenever I see a party the history.

And what's more, here we see it's not even in the interests of knowledge but most often as a means to power and control. Always, still, trying to 'fix' people.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Um my kids would totally have a cellphone.

With like 5 minutes on it. It would be to used to call 9-1-1 or home in case of emergency.

They'd also be GPS chipped. Like pets.

Kagera on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »

I can't say I'm particularly well-informed about psychology but it's always evoked a sort of innate disgust within me. It's just that there are always psychiatrists and psychologists fucking around with the most essential part of a person (often times leaving them damaged for life) with ECT and lobotomies and drugs whenever I see a party the history.

And what's more, here we see it's not even in the interests of knowledge but most often as a means to power and control. Always, still, trying to 'fix' people.

My mother's a psychologist.

She studies how people read.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

Yes, it was.

Kids are bombarded with advertisements everyday, everywhere. But this has been true since at least the 80s.

And maybe it's not super easy to control their time in front of the TV or the like when you are wkroing 2 jobs and all that blah blah blah.

But none of that addresses the fact that you don't have to cave in to them either. They really want that new Barbie cause the TV said they want it? Well, no.

You can turn kids into little consumers all you want, kids DON'T HAVE MONEY. Studies show they control purchasing decisions to an incredible degree, but that's only because the parents let them.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

Yes, it was.

Kids are bombarded with advertisements everyday, everywhere. But this has been true since at least the 80s.

And maybe it's not super easy to control their time in front of the TV or the like when you are wkroing 2 jobs and all that blah blah blah.

But none of that addresses the fact that you don't have to cave in to them either. They really want that new Barbie cause the TV said they want it? Well, no.

You can turn kids into little consumers all you want, kids DON'T HAVE MONEY. Studies show they control purchasing decisions to an incredible degree, but that's only because the parents let them.

There truly isn't any means by which one can avoid being a consumer.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Perhaps I could interest you in a copy of Dianetics?

Kagera on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Streltsy wrote: »

On the other hand, they were able to diagnose me and several people I know and help us become functional members of society.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

Yes, it was.

There truly isn't any means by which one can avoid being a consumer.

And? Is not being a consumer even a goal that means anything?

None of that effects my point.

shryke on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

Yes, it was.

You're suggesting using a Band-Aid (ironic as shit, I know) to close a bullet hole.

Stopping children from being good little consumers is a lot more complex than simply denying them the toys and products they desire as they still have to contend with the entire culture of consumption on a daily basis.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I just watched it.

<Creepy Music>

Yes, it was.

You're suggesting using a Band-Aid (ironic as shit, I know) to close a bullet hole.

Stopping children from being good little consumers is a lot more complex than simply denying them the toys and products they desire as they still have to contend with the entire culture of consumption on a daily basis.

A culture that they cannot participate in till they are old enough to be a little more self-aware.

It's not a full fix (that would require someone to actual educate them about how media attempts to influence you), but you can take alot of the power out of this sort of manipulation of children by simply not caving to your children's desires.

shryke on