As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Procedurally generated cities? Yes please!

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
http://kotaku.com/5455120/will-crysis-2-be-able-to-render-new-york-city-like-this

It's about fucking time!

It's okay, we're all thinking "zombie FPS" at the same time.

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Introversion's already ahead of the game.

Subversion city-generating demo.

(Video has no sound, insert your own music and sound effects.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    VultureVulture __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Finally, it was only a matter of time that someone would do something like this.

Now it just needs people.

Vulture on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love the Styrofoam walls in the op video. Three rounds and a hole the size of a small car opens up in the wall.

stigweard on
  • Options
    VultureVulture __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    stigweard wrote: »
    I love the Styrofoam walls in the op video. Three rounds and a hole the size of a small car opens up in the wall.

There's one video where you shoot out the entire first floor a building and the whole thing collapses and breaks to pieces on the street.

Vulture on
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuck Crysis.

Give me Prototype 2 with this technology and I will never play another game.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuck Crysis.

Limed for excessive truth.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Here's a procedurally-generated city that a single developer did in his spare time. It's a lot more basic, but his blog runs through how he did it, and I really like the kinds of visual tricks he employs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d2-PtK4F6Y

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=2940

He's built it as a screensaver too, which can be downloaded from the blog.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vulture wrote: »

There's one video where you shoot out the entire first floor a building and the whole thing collapses and breaks to pieces on the street.

I would like to see this video.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    No Sledgehammer, no deal.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Subversion hasn't been updated in months, it could be anything by now.

Iriah on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just installed the .scr, and this thing is really cool.

Szechuan on
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Vulture wrote: »

I would like to see this video.

Ah, fun. There was this cheat in the Bungie/Take-Two game Oni, which gave everything in the level except the character the properties of glass. Shoot the floor? The ground collapses. Open up with an uzi inside a skyscraper? The world breaks.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    EndlessInfinityEndlessInfinity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, imagine playing something like STALKER in this, where you can enter every building. Urban combat would be terrifying!

EndlessInfinity on
    MH3 ID : Gernot 92TE9P
    SC2: Zwillinge
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They should call Toady from Dwarf Fortress so he can tell them how to procedurally generate basically an entire region instead of just a city, complete with erosion, history, drainage basins, invasions, and so on.

Otherwise, let's hope this sort of thing takes of really soon. I have a hard time thinking of a game which wouldn't be hugely improved with randomized and destructible buildings. Then maybe we could get an actually awesome Superman game where big fights leave tunnels through buildings and whatnot.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They should call Toady from Dwarf Fortress so he can tell them how to procedurally generate basically an entire region instead of just a city, complete with erosion, history, drainage basins, invasions, and so on.

Otherwise, let's hope this sort of thing takes of really soon. I have a hard time thinking of a game which wouldn't be hugely improved with randomized and destructible buildings. Then maybe we could get an actually awesome Superman game where big fights leave tunnels through buildings and whatnot.

I'd spend all my time burning down buildings by blowing out the first floor with my sonic claps and laser eyes

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just more closets for monsters to spawn out of.
    How awesome would it be to see monsters explode out of a building?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, imagine playing something like STALKER in this, where you can enter every building. Urban combat would be terrifying!

At first I was like oh procedural city layout ...that's nice. And the demo went inside buildings. Stalker immediately popped into mind. ...I bet I'll need to upgrade my system with a "future computer" to run such an engine.

Darksier on
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The immediate problem I thought of when I saw the video was one of memory usage; you could regenerate the buildings procedurally etc, but any internal damage you do must then be stored in case you revisit the building in future.

I could easily see things like that overwhelming the memory constraints of a console.

Special K on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Special K wrote: »
    The immediate problem I thought of when I saw the video was one of memory usage; you could regenerate the buildings procedurally etc, but any internal damage you do must then be stored in case you revisit the building in future.

I could easily see things like that overwhelming the memory constraints of a console.

Unless it just has a setting of

IfwallDamaged = Yes
    Ifdamagedstate = 2
    ;Damage state 1 undamaged 2 25% damage 3 50% damage 4 75% dmg 5 100% damage.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Szechuan wrote: »
    Fuck Crysis.

Limed for excessive truth.

They would have to fix the game part first.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

IfwallDamaged = Yes
    Ifdamagedstate = 2

Presumably, where you shoot the wall affects how it breaks etc. So you could store info on the projectile collision which caused the damage, and regenerate the damage procedurally in that manner, but that adds extra work each time you go into the building. Another alternative is to store the new geometry as a replacement for the old, but in the simplest case (wall = 4 vertices) you end up adding a lot of extra vertices (for the jagged holes etc), which needs memory to store.

In addition, if it's possible to collapse floors as mentioned earlier, then the procedural generation won't work even on the outside - as that's creating intact buildings.

I did like the idea of locking doors when being chased, and as people blast their way through the doors and walls I'm happily blasting a hole in the floor to drop a level and escape, though!

Special K on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You know what'd be fucking great for this? Some motherfucking X-COM. Just imagine, procedurally-generated mission sites where aliens could be hiding anywhere...and which you promptly blow apart with scores of rockets and high explosives. :D

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

IfwallDamaged = Yes
    Ifdamagedstate = 2

Presumably, where you shoot the wall affects how it breaks etc. So you could store info on the projectile collision which caused the damage, and regenerate the damage procedurally in that manner, but that adds extra work each time you go into the building. Another alternative is to store the new geometry as a replacement for the old, but in the simplest case (wall = 4 vertices) you end up adding a lot of extra vertices (for the jagged holes etc), which needs memory to store.

In addition, if it's possible to collapse floors as mentioned earlier, then the procedural generation won't work even on the outside - as that's creating intact buildings.

I did like the idea of locking doors when being chased, and as people blast their way through the doors and walls I'm happily blasting a hole in the floor to drop a level and escape, though!

If you are going through blowing up shitloads of walls, I doubt you'd have a photographic memory of it so it could have like 5 different models for each damage state that are reloaded upon entering the area.

Save on the memory, with enough diversity not to be to noticeable.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    You know what'd be fucking great for this? Some motherfucking X-COM. Just imagine, procedurally-generated mission sites where aliens could be hiding anywhere...and which you promptly blow apart with scores of rockets and high explosives. :D

That was always my favorite method of clearing out buildings: alien hiding on second floor? Bring the house down!

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you are going through blowing up shitloads of walls, I doubt you'd have a photographic memory of it so it could have like 5 different models for each damage state that are reloaded upon entering the area.

I dunno, if I deliberately blow a certain hole in a wall to make a fast getaway, I'd be pretty miffed if it turned into something useless when I tried to run back through the room. Ditto if I make a hole to snipe a certain region through, for example.

In the example shown, it's easy to blow big holes everywhere. But that won't be the case in most games, where you may have limited explosives etc - in which case you need more precision than "this wall is 20% damaged" or whatever.

Also, if the walls are loadbearing, you may damage them in such a way that the building is stable - but when one of the 5 different damage models is then applied at a later point, the wall becomes unstable and the building collapses around you. Stuff like that would be very irritating.

Special K on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »
    You know what'd be fucking great for this? Some motherfucking Syndicate. Just imagine, procedurally-generated mission sites where other corporate agents could be hiding anywhere...and which you promptly blow apart with scores of rockets and high explosives. :D

Lawndart on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's the only way to be sure.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I dunno, if I deliberately blow a certain hole in a wall to make a fast getaway, I'd be pretty miffed if it turned into something useless when I tried to run back through the room. Ditto if I make a hole to snipe a certain region through, for example.

In the example shown, it's easy to blow big holes everywhere. But that won't be the case in most games, where you may have limited explosives etc - in which case you need more precision than "this wall is 20% damaged" or whatever.

Also, if the walls are loadbearing, you may damage them in such a way that the building is stable - but when one of the 5 different damage models is then applied at a later point, the wall becomes unstable and the building collapses around you. Stuff like that would be very irritating.

You could spoof the sniper/getaway holes somewhat by setting it up so that it allocated more memory to an area as you spent more time in it. For example, it'd keep the location and size (cant see needing more, are you really gonna remember the exact shape of your getaway hole?) of all the damage in a place you had spent 15 minutes barricading, but a corridor you just ran through in the midst of a firefight would just remember how many shots were fired and put them in a random spread if you come back. Ideally, this would also be scalable.

Also, on the loadbearing bit, I actually think it would be ridiculously awesome to have a huge firefight in a building, which hits its climax with most of the building collapsing around you. Especially if you have a handy grappling hook to fire out a window, at a nearby building.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    games don't have nearly enough grappling hooks today

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Not enough lime in the world.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2010

When I saw that video in the OP I instantly thought of Batman: AA and how he yoinks down weakened walls with a hook.

Echo on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why can't I play as a grappling hook? On the run form the grappling hook police, trying to prove his grappling hook's dad grappling hook murder.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I want some grapple action like we had in goldeneye 64.

God damn I was the fucking spider man in that game.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

There wasn't a grapple in GoldenEye 64 o_O.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

What? yes there was. in multi at least.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Someone should really tell those guys that buildings are not entirely made of drywalls... There are a couple of metal or concrete columns around, usually.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Nope.

Atheraal on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Though, on that note, imagine taking out an entire block because some stupid shit stacked remote mines like a pile of oreos and then shot it.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Atheraal wrote: »

Nope.

It was built into the watch.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Atheraal wrote: »
    You could spoof the sniper/getaway holes somewhat by setting it up so that it allocated more memory to an area as you spent more time in it. For example, it'd keep the location and size (cant see needing more, are you really gonna remember the exact shape of your getaway hole?) of all the damage in a place you had spent 15 minutes barricading, but a corridor you just ran through in the midst of a firefight would just remember how many shots were fired and put them in a random spread if you come back. Ideally, this would also be scalable.

This is the problem; I was trying to think of a way to do such things that would scale. In principle, you could go into every building and mash lots of the walls, and that's a lot of extra memory needed; the damage info could easily consume more memory than the original geometry did, as the original geometry was likely simple squares etc.

It's an interesting problem, and something like voxels would help - but the memory requirement for a city full of voxels may be rather extreme. But the emphasis seems to be on being able to generate the city in the first place, what with it taking oodles of artist and designer time, and not so much on what happens after that! :)
    Also, on the loadbearing bit, I actually think it would be ridiculously awesome to have a huge firefight in a building, which hits its climax with most of the building collapsing around you. Especially if you have a handy grappling hook to fire out a window, at a nearby building.

I totally agree with you. I could definitely go for a game which detects critical damage and starts to slow time down, so you can have apocalyptic firefights in slow mnotion as it all collapses around you.

Splendid.

Special K on