As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How often do you bathe?

1246710

Posts

  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower/bath more than that, like 9-10 times a week. I probably wouldn't shower as much as I do if I didn't really enjoy showers. Hot showers are just one of the best damn things to experience as a human being. Sex in the shower is great too. I don't have an awesome bathroom or anything either, my tub is really small and I'm 6 feet, still I find time to get in there with a cold beer in the hand and some music once or twice a week. Sometimes I don't even bother washing in the shower because I think it'll spoil the experience, so maybe this is besides the point.

    MindLib on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    neville wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    in short: not showering every day isn't going to kill you but it's ENTIRELY dependent on whether not showering is noticeable

    some people can go literally weeks without showering and you'd never know unless you were trying to get your sex on with them

    shower as much as you feel you need to, but don't complain when other people tell you you're not showering enough

    you're not showering enough

    these two posts seem like an apt example of this thread

    ronzo on
  • FatsFats Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, we're as excessive in our water usage as we are in our oil usage, aren't we?

    You know what's gross? People who don't floss.

    Fats on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, you've convinced me. I'll shower every 20 minutes from now on.
    Actually I won't, because I don't stink

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I don't understand this whole idea that showering is a difficult thing that you try to do. It takes anywhere between five and twenty minutes, depending on how much of a hurry you're in. You really don't have that much time to spare? WAKE UP EARLIER

    This!
    And Kaz is one of the smellie-- err

    >_>
    nothing!

    8-)

    neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, this thread is just a big ol' list of people I'll try to avoid standing next to if I ever get around to going to PAX/any forum get together.

    At least once a day people. You may not stink, but you are a walking bacterial culture. Yuuuuuuck.

    Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every day (sometimes multiple times), simply because on the sliding scale that is hygiene, it's really difficult to end up too fresh, but all too easy to go the other way

    the wook on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower once a day. I believe that is the MINIMUM you should shower. If you skip a shower every once in a while, it probably is not a big deal but some on, just shower once a day and you will not even have to ask this question.

    STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    the wook wrote: »
    I shower every day (sometimes multiple times), simply because on the sliding scale that is hygiene, it's really difficult to end up too fresh, but all too easy to go the other way

    H5.

    I live in the subtropics with no aircon, my freaking bedsheets practically need a daily wash. Well, its not that bad, but I clean a lot because of humidity and sweat. Morning shower, plus an afternoon/evening one as needed. Definitely after gym. When its hot enough that I have to sleep in the living room, that's an extra shower.

    That said, for most people shampooing one's hair more than twice a week is not a good idea. Scalps are like lawns; give them too much attention and they adapt to it. And a lot of my showers are like, 2 minute rinses with soap only applied to the essentials. There's no need to go the whole hog every time, just get the nooks and crannies :P

    And baths aren't for cleaning. They're recreation. Soap off first in the shower, and bring a book.

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Lizz the BlizzLizz the Blizz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, people sure like wasting water in this thread.

    I don't shower every day. I only shower when I need to wash my hair (which is every 2-3 days, depending on which shampoo I'm using).

    I wash every day in front of the bathroom sink. I use water and soap and I don't waste any more time than most people, and most of all, I don't have to feel so guilty about the insane amounts of drinking water us spoiled brats waste while so many people can barely get enough of it to drink.

    Lizz the Blizz on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    I can get behind the need to save drinking-quality water, since it is fairly expensive to produce, but that can be done to a very reasonable degree without going to extremes (by which I mean sponge-and-bucket extremes). Even here, my city managed to go from like 300+ litres a day per person water usage to less than 140 with simple behaviour changes, and that didn't involve more than shorter showers and abstaining from watering the concrete along with the gardens. We're not at the point where domestic water savings need to be so stringent anywhere. And I will gently suggest that you probably have no idea how stinky people can get in the warmer climes, and how incredibly important this basic kind of hygiene is in such places.

    Its also worth pointing out that sadly, the water you and your flannel save doesn't get magically transported to Somalia :? would that it did.

    The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    On the issue of time: I have to get up at about 6:00am in order to be at Uni at 8:00am. It takes me about 40 minutes to get there by foot/tram. Getting up earlier than 6 is out of the question because then I have the cognitive abilities of an anemone. Heating up the bath in winter takes at least 15 minutes, a complete shower about 25 because I don't have a cabin, only a bathtub to sit in and a showerhead. This is without cleaning up the bath afterwards and shaving etc. Getting properly dressed is another 10 minutes I think and a small breakfast also takes time. You see where this is going.

    My girlfriend never complained about me smelling because I DON'T smell after 2 or 3 days. It's just my hair that gets greasy. When I lived with my parents I used to shower every day because they have a real shower and I could drive to school instead of walk but I simply don't have the luxury anymore. :?

    Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At least once a day people. You may not stink, but you are a walking bacterial culture. Yuuuuuuck.

    What do you think is growing on the inside of your shower head?

    Richard_Dastardly on
    ಠ_ರೃ wrote: »
    cats are douches
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User
    edited January 2010
    I shower once a day, typically in the morning. If it's the weekend, and I get up late (or even if I don't), sometimes I'll hold off on showering until mid to late afternoon. But I'm a greasy, smelly bastard if I skip a shower, so I don't do that unless I have no plans of leaving the apartment.

    I always wash my hair - otherwise, it sticks up in all sorts of oily directions (and no one wants to see me walking around with one side of my hair back and up, and the other side relatively normal).

    I brush and floss my teeth twice a day - morning and evening. Also, Listerine in the morning, fluoride rinse in the evening.

    iglidante on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    I thought this chart on OKC was pretty interesting:
    ScreenHunter_01%20Jan.%2023%2012.43.jpg

    shows the climate/humidity bias pretty clearly. I shower everyday, but I like to shower. I'm also from North Carolina, and even though I'm In MD now its habit. I do seem to shower far more often than my roomates, who will go for a few days without showering. One of them, however, will wash her hair quickly in the sink almost daily. I'm not sure what this saves her, but maybe that appeals to you?

    I live in Florida, and nearly everyone I know washes at least once a day, sometimes two or three times depending on occupation. I usually wash every morning and some evenings if it was a really rough day (overly hot, humid, or rainy). If I go jogging or weightlifting, I shower after.

    This isn't to say everyone always does the full hair and body wash each shower. Sometimes folk just rinse off.

    Oh, and @ the guy who is all "#FFFFFF isn't the natural color for teeth," you are right. The natural color is probably a rotting faded brown yellow for the 18 or so years you keep the majority of your teeth before moving to dentures. Of course, as the whiteness of your teeth often indicates your level of oral hygiene, white teeth often = health and also scores points with the ladies.

    Enc on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    this is fucking disgusting

    why is this even up for debate

    you shower every day or I fire you if I ever find myself to be your boss

    Troll harder mate.

    chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's pretty interesting almost /thread.

    MindLib on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every work day, and there's a ~90% chance I'll do so on the weekend as well. The latter depends on if I'll actually be seeing anyone/going out, or just hanging around the apartment with a dvd marathon or something. It's become a part of my regular waking up routine; turn on the computer, grab a shower while it boots up (obviously it takes far less time for that than the shower, but hot water in a slightly chilly apartment is nice anyway) and then grab breakfast while perusing the usual sites.

    It's become such a habit that I actually feel kind of gross if I haven't showered, to the point that even on weekends where things have slid a little, sometimes I'll grab a quick one before bed, just so I don't feel I'm taking my greasy hair to the pillows/sheets.

    The way I see it, it's 10-15 minutes out of my day and results in me feeling better, and presumably looking and smelling better too.

    Edit: Also, I do wash my hair every time I shower, but I keep it quite short, so if I don't it's stuck up all over the damned place with a mind of its own.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    It's become a part of my regular waking up routine; turn on the computer, grab a shower while it boots up (obviously it takes far less time for that than the shower, but hot water in a slightly chilly apartment is nice anyway) and then grab breakfast while perusing the usual sites.

    I thought I was reading about my own morning for a second. This is exactly what I do every work day.

    iglidante on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm amazed at the number of apparently pre-pubescent posters here (either due to young age or puberty delaying hormonal treatments, I assume)


    Ya know, bc that's the only way to go 3 days without a shower and not smell.

    All the rest of you smell like a hobo. Just bc no one has the balls (or cares enough) to tell you, doesn't mean it's not true.

    illig on
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User
    edited January 2010
    illig wrote: »
    Ya know, bc that's the only way to go 3 days without a shower and not smell.

    This. If I'm actually sweating (and I frequently do, since I'm always warm), I can accumulate an odor in three hours.

    iglidante on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    illig wrote: »
    All the rest of you smell like a hobo..

    Wow, that was quite the dumbest thing posted in this entire thread.
    First of all, no. Secondly, you can't tell unless you have personally smelled everyone here. Not everyone emits BO at the same rate or sweats the same ammount. It also largely depends on your diet and as the chart has shown, where you live. The chart wasn't entirely green and I doubt every single person you meet on the streets smelled like a hobo.

    Djiem on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    Every now and then theres a day when I don't shower. But that's like, when I have a day off/am sick and do absolutely nothing/don't go out/don't have any social contact. But even then I find it hard not to take 5 minutes out of my day to get clean.

    Unknown User on
  • CowardlyCowardly Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Ugh debating this?

    Every day if I can god damn well help it.


    I don't even care if other people can't tell, you should be able to tell that you need to shower or bathe once a day, or at the very least MOST days. You get greasy and awful and smell like ass.

    Cowardly on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, I guess some stereotypes about nerds are true. Seriously, if you aren't showering once a day at least, you probably smell like ass.

    Just because it is generally considered rude to point this out doesn't mean you aren't offending the nostrils of anyone who has the unfortunate luck to stand close to you.

    Kamar on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    the wook wrote: »
    I shower every day (sometimes multiple times), simply because on the sliding scale that is hygiene, it's really difficult to end up too fresh, but all too easy to go the other way

    If it's just water sure, but all the shampoos and soaps and crap I'm pretty sure you can. I had an ex who'd use shampoo like three times a day and she had really bad achne/hair.

    I shower everyday, but only wash my hair with more then water every other day. Seems about the right balance. But then again the UK is fairly mild whether wise. It's more understandable to really go for it if you live in really hot/humid areas.

    Leitner on
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User
    edited January 2010
    Djiem wrote: »
    I doubt every single person you meet on the streets smelled like a hobo.

    I will say that nearly every person I have ever been in close quarters with has had a breath odor that I found unpleasant. And many people have a smell to them that, while not what I would consider BO (garlic and onions) isn't terribly nice.

    iglidante on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WTF

    ok so i don't know about the rest of you but a 5min shower seems stupidly short kind of uselessly short. Also i need to meet these people who take ONLY a 5min shower sure you say it takes 5min but i call bullshit. I think most people are grossly under estimating the time it take to properly bathe.

    Anyway people if you just cant live without your shower great but get over your self, not everyone is as stinky as you after 1 day.

    chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I dunno, I can scrub the shit out of myself, hairwashing included, in about a minute flat.

    That said, I tend towards sitting in the shower a good minute or two after the hot water runs out.

    I love me some showers.

    Kamar on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    get in shower -> lather up -> rinse off -> get out -> dry off

    Unknown User on
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User
    edited January 2010
    I typically take a 10 minute shower, if I'm taking my time. I mean, the steps are pretty solid in my muscle memory, so they're nearly automatic.

    - Jump in, wet hair, shampoo.
    - Rinse hair, apply conditioner.
    - Soap body, rinse.
    - Shave face.
    - Dry.

    iglidante on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    iglidante wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    I doubt every single person you meet on the streets smelled like a hobo.

    I will say that nearly every person I have ever been in close quarters with has had a breath odor that I found unpleasant. And many people have a smell to them that, while not what I would consider BO (garlic and onions) isn't terribly nice.


    I think you have a problem with people not body odor and should live inside and never leave lest your nostrils be offended.

    chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    robothero wrote: »
    get in shower -> lather up -> rinse off -> get out -> dry off

    Yep exactly.

    My boiler is fucking mental so I can't even shower for longer than 5 minutes without the water running cold anyway.

    If the guy who thinks that 5 minutes isn't long enough to shower also thinks that showering every day is overkill then maybe that's the reason why it takes him more time to properly clean himself :)

    Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    I usually take longer in the shower anyways because having the hot water running on me is enjoyable, plus it gives me a good opportunity to decompress

    Unknown User on
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User
    edited January 2010
    iglidante wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »
    I doubt every single person you meet on the streets smelled like a hobo.

    I will say that nearly every person I have ever been in close quarters with has had a breath odor that I found unpleasant. And many people have a smell to them that, while not what I would consider BO (garlic and onions) isn't terribly nice.


    I think you have a problem with people not body odor and should live inside and never leave lest your nostrils be offended.

    Fine, I exaggerated. But a lot of people (guys especially) that I've known have had, in close quarters, unpleasant breath.

    iglidante on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Adda wrote: »
    robothero wrote: »
    get in shower -> lather up -> rinse off -> get out -> dry off

    Yep exactly.

    My boiler is fucking mental so I can't even shower for longer than 5 minutes without the water running cold anyway.

    If the guy who thinks that 5 minutes isn't long enough to shower also thinks that showering every day is overkill then maybe that's the reason why it takes him more time to properly clean himself :)


    Hmm did i say overkill no so either you fail at reading or are just a tool.

    Also most people say it takes them 5min but i would dare them to time them selfs. I view a 5min shower like a 10min auto car wash. Sure most of the big stuff is gone but its not nearly as clean as it could/should be. I take a shower every day without fail but if some dude misses a day and your that grossed out about it grow a pair of balls.

    chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited January 2010
    I will time my shower when I get home tonight and it will be 5 minutes.


    Do you take your car to the wash and get the deluxe clean every day?

    Unknown User on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well there is always the alternative. You could just forgo the shower entirely and rely upon a steady supply of perfumed clothes and powder.

    But showering daily is pretty much standard in the US. Yeah, people don't always do that elsewhere, but usually that's more because of the cost or unavailability of water, rather than a conscious decision. Even the cart indicated that, at worst, most Americans at least shower regularly.

    What I want to know is: Why wouldn't you shower daily? You feel great afterwords, its relaxing, and delightfully toasty.

    Enc on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    A shower in the morning to wash away the sleepiness and faint musty smell from snuggling and snoring all night.

    A shower before bed to wash away the days grime, stress, and bodily aches. (and get me nice and fresh and clean for fun times)

    Total time for both with water actually running?

    12-15 minutes, and that's because I like to stand under the warm water for a couple of minutes when I rinse. This includes washing my hair (shampoo and conditioner) once daily.

    Of course, total time from walking into the bathroom to walking out of the bathroom is about double that, what with drying off, application of anti-perspirant and brushing my teeth, but what the hey, half an hour a day, and I feel fresh, clean, and I KNOW I smell good.

    Workdays you can throw in another 3-4 minute wash after work. 'Cause fast food grease ain't something you want to be traipsing around your place of residence.

    Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited January 2010
    I live in Houston, so of course in the summertime that means showers at least once, maybe twice a day. In the winter, once a day is fine.

    For everyone else saying that showering once a day is unnecessary: I mean, it depends on factors like where you live (someplace cold so you don't sweat at all? ok) or if you're a girl (face it: guys stink WAY worse) but for the most part, I can tell when people haven't showered or bathed in a day or two, especially if they're a guy. And I work in an office with mostly nerdy engineer guys, so I have seen this happen. No one says anything because they're polite, but also no one wants to invite that guy to lunch or talk to him for longer than 30 seconds in the break room.

    Personally, my showers take 5-8 minutes normally, and if I have to shave my legs, that's another 5 minutes or so. If I'm really tired or out of it, or I'm freezing cold, I might stand in the hot water and just space out for a bit.

    Spacemilk on
Sign In or Register to comment.