As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How often do you bathe?

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    if you're otherwise clean, jeans don't have to be washed more than once a week or fortnight.

aside- I've been called out for using words like fortnight and elope IRL. these aren't complex SAT words, and just because your dumbass friends don't use them or you don't hear them on tv (which is made for said dumbass friends) doesn't mean I can't.
    Idiots need to die.

What's... what's that aside got to do with anything?
    :lol:

Djiem on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's a matter of principle, I guess.

I shower every day. I have longish hair and I've been told not to do this, but even after one day my hair is super oily. Hell, I can wash it at night before I go to bed and it will be oily in the morning.

You should at least jump in the shower and wash your hair, junk, ass, and armpits. The four essentials. It takes 5 minutes at best and you'll still feel clean. Mostly. You still need to periodically scrub away the slurry of oil, bacteria, and dead skin off of your other parts.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Deciding whether to shower or not based on how much you sweat seems a bit odd to me. Even if you aren't sweating, you still have the mix of dead skin cells and oils going. But if you can really go a day without showering and not smell or show any visible evidence, more power to you. I think you just have to be honest with yourself, living in a college town I see quite a few students who look/smell like they need a shower and I can't help but imagine some of them fall into the "I don't need daily showers" camp.

kaz67 on
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    I would assume your underwear is covering your crotch. o_O

You should try Googling "How often should I wash my jeans". You'll be surprised.

EDIT: With the caveat that I wear fairly expensive jeans and you're REALLY not supposed to wash those on a frequent basis.

So desperately trying to to not be a snob when i say this but i usually wear only designer things Ferragamo, armani and brioni i enjoy style. Short of my suits most things should be washed after 1-2 wearings. This advice coming from ever single tailor and friend i have ever had. Jeans get funky living in florida after 1-2 days and no amount of "airing out" is going to help. Also wearing shirts more than once ewww unless you bathe in old spice your stuffs going to get sweaty and funky fast not to mention 2 weeks. I find it odd that people so grossed out by not taking a shower just hop into the same dirty clothes something that i go eww about. I guess different strokes?

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    iglidante wrote: »
    Seriously guys, wash at least once a day, and never wear your clothes more than once.

See, that's not always necessary. If I come home from work, change into a t-shirt, and wear it for four hours, I'm probably going to put it on again after work the next day. It's not filthy.

...and for that matter, who can afford to own/wash a pair of pants for every day of the week? I certainly don't own 7 pair of jeans, or 5 pair of dress pants for work that actually fit. Clothing is expensive. Runs to the laundromat are expensive. Wearing jeans for a few days never hurt anyone. Underwear and socks, sure - I wash those after one day. But how often do you wash your winter jacket? Most people wear those for hours on end, and they gather quite a bit of sweat and actual dirt.

Clothing is expensive? Where do you live? I live in Australia, and I can buy a teeshirt for $2. A pair of jeans for $15.

Even then, I don't have 7 pairs of each different types of pants. I've got 2 pairs of work pants, 2 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of nice pants, and 4 pairs of shorts, because I like wearing shorts around the house.

Total cost of all those pants? About $100, bought over the last two years. I wash everything I wear after every time I wear it. I must have worn those jeans hundreds of times each, and they still look like they did the day I bought them.

How is a trip to the laundromat expensive? A load of washing at my laundromat is $1. The dryer is $1. If I wash three times a week, that's $6 dude.

6 fucking dollars. Buy one less game every three months, and your clothes will always be fresh, clean, and lady-friendly.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

You should try Googling "How often should I wash my jeans". You'll be surprised.

EDIT: With the caveat that I wear fairly expensive jeans and you're REALLY not supposed to wash those on a frequent basis.

Yes, my underwear is covering my crotch. Next in line is my jeans.

Take a clean pair of jeans, wear them for a day, then take a long, deep sniff of the crotch. Smell that? So can other people.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Take a clean pair of jeans, wear them for a day, then take a long, deep sniff of the crotch. Smell that? So can other people.

Assuming they take a long, deep sniff of your crotch.
    Also, smell what, exactly? They don't smell anything yet.

Djiem on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

i think it's different if you live in florida. I only visited orlando once, for a week, but damn, my thighs chafed sore to the point where I couldn't walk. that place is ungodly humid, I grew up in a humid coastal city and it wasn't nearly as bad. Something about FL just seems to take it over the limit.

Sam on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If you actually need to change your jeans everyday to avoid the smell, it strikes me you're in no position to question other peoples hygine.

Leitner on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sam wrote: »

i think it's different if you live in florida. I only visited orlando once, for a week, but damn, my thighs chafed sore to the point where I couldn't walk. that place is ungodly humid, I grew up in a humid coastal city and it wasn't nearly as bad. Something about FL just seems to take it over the limit.

That something would be it being hot as a sauna and twice as humid. It's rather awful. Like, anytime during the summer(or fall, or spring), doing anything remotely active, I'm probably taking a couple showers a day. There is no way I'd wear clothing I'd spent any amount of time in outside during the day out again that night, much less again another day. In other climates, or winter, I don't really see much wrong with wearing jeans a couple times between washings.

My hair is pretty dry, so I tend to wash it every other day or so. Most of my hair people seemed to think this is not inadvisable.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Seriously guys, wash at least once a day, and never wear your clothes more than once.

See, that's not always necessary. If I come home from work, change into a t-shirt, and wear it for four hours, I'm probably going to put it on again after work the next day. It's not filthy.

...and for that matter, who can afford to own/wash a pair of pants for every day of the week? I certainly don't own 7 pair of jeans, or 5 pair of dress pants for work that actually fit. Clothing is expensive. Runs to the laundromat are expensive. Wearing jeans for a few days never hurt anyone. Underwear and socks, sure - I wash those after one day. But how often do you wash your winter jacket? Most people wear those for hours on end, and they gather quite a bit of sweat and actual dirt.

Clothing is expensive? Where do you live? I live in Australia, and I can buy a teeshirt for $2. A pair of jeans for $15.

Even then, I don't have 7 pairs of each different types of pants. I've got 2 pairs of work pants, 2 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of nice pants, and 4 pairs of shorts, because I like wearing shorts around the house.

Total cost of all those pants? About $100, bought over the last two years. I wash everything I wear after every time I wear it. I must have worn those jeans hundreds of times each, and they still look like they did the day I bought them.

How is a trip to the laundromat expensive? A load of washing at my laundromat is $1. The dryer is $1. If I wash three times a week, that's $6 dude.

6 fucking dollars. Buy one less game every three months, and your clothes will always be fresh, clean, and lady-friendly.

I'd say you've definitely gotten good deals on clothes. Cheapest I've ever seen a t-shirt in Maine is $4 (5/$20 plain shirts at Olympia Sports). I have a ton of those, so I never have to worry about running out. But jeans? My size (34/34) is hard to find. Most stores tend to carry a ton of pants that have a 30 or maybe a 32 inch inseam, but nothing higher. If I go to JC Penny's or Sears, or even Old Navy, I might find 3 pair of pants that are my size, and even then they don't all fit the same (too tight in the ass - and I'm skinny). And unless it's a great sale, those pants will be $25-$30 a pair.

And since I'm married, we build up twice as many clothes to wash. In a week, we fill at least one basket that will cost us $2.50 to wash, and the same to dry - if we pack the machine pretty tightly. And that's with conserving clothes. If both of us wore clothes once and then washed them? You're looking at anywhere between $40-$80 a month in laundry.

It wasn't a problem when we lived in a place with a washer and drier. Now, having to drive 15 minutes one-way to the laundramat means a laundry run eats an entire afternoon. And my commute ensures I will only ever be able to wash clothes on the weekend.

I'm just saying, it's not always easy to wash things in a timely manner.

iglidante on
  • MegaforceMegaforce __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I skip a day or two during the week but will shower before bed with the gf if sex is a good possibility 8-) I also shower before going to a social thing like a bar or party for example.

Megaforce on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I try and shower every day (assuming I don't come back from my classes, fall asleep, and wonder what the hell happened between the time I left class and when I woke up).

Then again, I live in Georgia. Even in the winter, I spend a lot of time wrapped in multiple layers of clothing in stuff, poorly-ventilated rooms packed with other people.

I also make it a point to always shower (and shave) before a social event, even if it means sitting down in my shower and nodding off a couple times.

I'd say you've definitely gotten good deals on clothes. Cheapest I've ever seen a t-shirt in Maine is $4 (5/$20 plain shirts at Olympia Sports). I have a ton of those, so I never have to worry about running out. But jeans? My size (34/34) is hard to find. Most stores tend to carry a ton of pants that have a 30 or maybe a 32 inch inseam, but nothing higher. If I go to JC Penny's or Sears, or even Old Navy, I might find 3 pair of pants that are my size, and even then they don't all fit the same (too tight in the ass - and I'm skinny). And unless it's a great sale, those pants will be $25-$30 a pair.

And since I'm married, we build up twice as many clothes to wash. In a week, we fill at least one basket that will cost us $2.50 to wash, and the same to dry - if we pack the machine pretty tightly. And that's with conserving clothes. If both of us wore clothes once and then washed them? You're looking at anywhere between $40-$80 a month in laundry.

It wasn't a problem when we lived in a place with a washer and drier. Now, having to drive 15 minutes one-way to the laundramat means a laundry run eats an entire afternoon. And my commute ensures I will only ever be able to wash clothes on the weekend.

I'm just saying, it's not always easy to wash things in a timely manner.

Yeah, apparently, clothing is fucking cheap as hell in Australia, because it certainly isn't where I live (and things tend to be fairly inexpensive). I don't own a single pair of jeans, not just because I don't like the way they feel personally, but because they cost 2 to 3 times as much as a pair of khaki pants (I own a lot of khakis). "Cheap" Khakis go for about $19.99 US, and those are Wal-Mart brand. Thankfully, I own a lot of clothing because that's all my parents ever give me whenever I see them. I don't buy $2 T-shirts because, frankly, I don't wear $2 T-shirts (except to sleep in, perhaps). I have four or 5 collar shirts that I rotate through, and other shirts are emergencies.

Granted, I have my own washing machine now, and a dryer, so the expense of washing is very low. When I was living in dorms, the machines available were goddamn rip-offs, since washing more than two pairs of shirts and two pairs of pants at any given time meant two cycles of washing and two cycles of drying. Then they decided it'd be fun to double the price, one day, out of the blue. I'm thankful I never have to return to that time.

Synthesis on
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I shower every day. Only exception is if I get drunk and can't be bothered, in which case I shower the next morning. Sadly the new house we're moving to this weekend hasn't got a shower installed.

I dislike baths.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Kneel wrote: »
    I dislike baths.

Has anyone else been unable to take a bath in....about eight years? Maybe more? Only showers?

I had a bathtub/shower combo in my dorms, and once badly tore up the outside of my leg. Obviously, I didn't want to get the bandages wet, so I thought, "I'll just submerge myself in water, stick my leg out".

I couldn't do it. Felt weird as hell, and in the end, I just felt wet, not clean, as though I'd gone swimming. The only explanation I could give was that I'd programmed myself not to take baths at some point.

Synthesis on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    If you actually need to change your jeans everyday to avoid the smell, it strikes me you're in no position to question other peoples hygine.

Pretty much this

I can't imagine what you're doing to your pants if they reek after 12 hours of use.

Same goes for hoodies and such, which I usually wear over a t-shirt. They can go two or three uses without having to be cleaned

In terms of showering. Shower before school, work, or going out. Besides that I just kind of lazy about in pajamas.

This of course does not apply if you sweat like a pig

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I always shower once a day, usually before work. Feels good to do so after I've shaved, and makes me wake up a bit better as well

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wearing the cheapest clothing you can find vs. wearing designer or tailored clothing that fits is a completely different conversation.

Suffice it to say that at $70 - $200 a pair, some of us don't own a pair of jeans for each day of the week.

As long as you're not sweating in them profusely, jeans don't need to be washed after being worn every time.

adytum on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    As for bathing specifically, usually just once a week, most often on Sundays. I get a nice glass of whatever and also a book and stay in there for well over an hour. It's just so comfortable

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't even start the goddamn day without a hot hot hot shower. Scalding water and black coffee pretty much hold me together! Double shower if I run/gym after work.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ITT: we find out people are different.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    General rule is once a day. If I'm really lazy (or not feeling well, etc) I might miss a day on the weekend. That's assuming I have nowhere to be though. Occasionally it's more than once a day if it's been a really hot day, or if I've been doing something physical.

I mentioned in [Chat] that I work with 2 guys who, instead of showering in the morning, will shower the night before, then get up in the morning, brush their teeth and come to work. <shudder>

firewaterword knows whats up. That AM shower is just as important as people's coffee to some of us.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Scolding hot water in the morning is my favorite thing. I will literally lay in bed until I properly shower. I feel as though I cant interact with people or leave my room until I do...

I love showers.

I also spend too mcuh time in them. But I feel like the shower and the pooper are the two places I can actually "get away"

Perhaps im a simple man.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I doubt I could get away with less than a shower a day, though I could probably just confine it mostly to underarms/neck/face/hair if I were really pressed. Hunching over a sink isn't really my idea of a fun way to wake up though, so I go with the full shower. That said, if my underarms weren't the stink-factories that they are, I could probably get away with every other day.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
    edited January 2010
    Corlis wrote: »
    I doubt I could get away with less than a shower a day, though I could probably just confine it mostly to underarms/neck/face/hair if I were really pressed. Hunching over a sink isn't really my idea of a fun way to wake up though, so I go with the full shower. That said, if my underarms weren't the stink-factories that they are, I could probably get away with every other day.

Washing in the sink is a miserable experience for me. I can never seem to rinse off my face without getting water all over my hair, down my chest, and across the counter. A shower is just so much simpler.

iglidante on
  • freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I try to shower every 2 days at worst. After 3 days I feel just hella grimy and I smell pretty bad. If I am just in the house not going anywhere it might not be so bad but I am out almost every day most of the time.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I went to the gym that day, I shower. If I didn't, I usually don't, but I try not to go for more than 2 days without showering (so, shower on the second day). If I didn't go to the gym, then I didn't really work up a sweat or get dirty (unless it's summer and was really sweltering outside, in which case I may go to once a day).

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This topic makes me feel like I should shower more.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The minimum I shower is every other day. If I'm on vacation or its Sunday, I'll only shower if I'm going out somewhere or if I've done a lot of hard work that day. If I'm just planning on being lazy at home all day, I'll skip the shower (and normally the getting dressed part too).

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Makes me want to take a shower. Even though I took one like 4 hours ago.

Also, shaving in the sink is kind of a pain in the ass.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In the winter, once per day, in the morning. Though it depends if I'm working out or not.

In the summer, twice per day, in the morning and evening. In the evening because I usually go running in the heat immediately after work, because for some reason I enjoy running when the temperature is in the high 90s.

Havelock on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Makes me want to take a shower. Even though I took one like 4 hours ago.

Also, shaving in the sink is kind of a pain in the ass.
    I have to do some amount of shaving at the sink, or I end up with my beard looking like this:
    wanged_beard.jpg

It goes down a lot further on the left than it does on the right and I look like a goof. So I do the majority of the shaving in the shower, and then do some touch-ups in the mirror. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited January 2010
    I can't even start the goddamn day without a hot hot hot shower. Scalding water and black coffee pretty much hold me together! Double shower if I run/gym after work.

I wish this worked for me.

Unless I've been sleeping a lot (for me, +8 hours), a shower basically just involves me standing (or if I'm operating on 5 or less hours of sleep, sitting on that 'shelf') while trying not to nod on. While I do feel cleaner, I definitely do not feel more awake, and probably not really 'refreshed' either.

Then again, I've nodded off in my shower before. Now, if I have the day off, and I get a lot of sleep, waking up with a shower can actually work.

The other 90% of the time, though, spending an extra fifteen minutes in my bed, trying to compose myself in the morning, helps infinitely more than waking up fifteen minutes earlier, stumbling into my shower, and having a short shower.

That, and being a once-a-day shower, the notion of going to bed sweaty and dirty is much less pleasant than going to bed clean.

Still, I wish they woke me up.

Synthesis on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Usually every day. Often twice a day, if I'm working out in the evening. Sometimes zero, if I don't plan on going out or doing stuff. Probably averages out to once a day.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited January 2010
    I'm weird with mornings. A shower helps because it serves as a marker for me, but other than that it doesn't actually wake me up. It doesn't seem to matter when I wake up; I'm going to be cranky and very unhappy for the first 15 minutes until I am sufficiently prepared to face the day.

iglidante on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Twice a day at least. Once when I get ready to go out, once when I get back home. Sometimes even more if the situation warrants it.

I've gone periods in my life (let's call them "deployments") where I've had to go without a regular shower and it makes me cranky and itchy.

I like feeling clean. I don't demand other people have the same commitment to cleanliness, but I'm not going to hang out with you if you're funky.

GungHo on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't like to have to shower twice a day, so I usually shower right after my workout which is right after work, each day.

I don't feel right if I don't shower in a day, and I definately ain't gonna workout and not shower. The three elements of a day to me include - hygiene (brush teeth, shower, dress for the day) - workout (keeps me level headed, makes food guilt-free, gives me energy) - coffee (coffee).

Without those three things, my dad feels absolutely incomplete. I would say the latter two are an addiction or dependency, the first one is me feeling self concious.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

I don't know what's wrong with your balls, but you should have that looked at. Because the crotch of my jeans certainly doesn't smell bad after a day of wear. I also shower twice a day, so YMMV.

Esh on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »

I wish this worked for me.

Unless I've been sleeping a lot (for me, +8 hours), a shower basically just involves me standing (or if I'm operating on 5 or less hours of sleep, sitting on that 'shelf') while trying not to nod on. While I do feel cleaner, I definitely do not feel more awake, and probably not really 'refreshed' either.

Then again, I've nodded off in my shower before. Now, if I have the day off, and I get a lot of sleep, waking up with a shower can actually work.

The other 90% of the time, though, spending an extra fifteen minutes in my bed, trying to compose myself in the morning, helps infinitely more than waking up fifteen minutes earlier, stumbling into my shower, and having a short shower.

That, and being a once-a-day shower, the notion of going to bed sweaty and dirty is much less pleasant than going to bed clean.

Still, I wish they woke me up.

This is true for me as well. I find a hot shower will actually put me to sleep if I'm even a little bit tired. Hot water is relaxing. I don't understand how this wakes people up.

I already have to wake up at 6:30am for work and despite working this early for 3 years I have yet to come close to being a morning person. It's a struggle to get out of bed every morning. Making my day even earlier is something I just can't handle. It's why I usually shower in the evening after I get home from work (where I do my workout at the end of the day).

Asiina on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hot showers usually put people to sleep. However, showering in the morning may wake someone up depending on the climate (if it's cold out for instance). All it's really doing is making you move around and getting you active to start the day. If you're in it for waking up, colder/warm showers work a lot better.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me