As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens vs Predator vs Bill Paxton vs Sexual Tyrannosaurus

• Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »
    Like one asking for something like $1,000 for the Warhammer Witch Hunter's Manual. The cheapest asking price was like $600, I think.

oh hey, I have that. Good 20 dollar investment. :winky:

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm directing intense waves of hate towards you right now. :P

Havelock on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The problem with that is, without Ripley the alien series is nothing.

An unfounded claim, considering there hasn't been a single exclusively Xenomorph-centric film made that didn't involve Ripley.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    Where can one get the Tech Manual nowadays, is it still in print?

Sadly it's been out of print for a long time now. Not sure when the final printing was, but the first was in May of 1996, to give you an idea of the timescale we're looking at here. (hope you weren't in cryostasis, oh ho ho!)

Amazon.com and Amazon.ca have them listed for around $150 used. I used to see them on Ebay for ~$100 used all the time, and managed to snag my copy for about $50 including shipping (which was a fucking steal, to the point that I felt bad, because the seller shipped it from the UK, which is "bend you over a barrel" levels of expensive). More than I'd like to spend on a book, but it was something I'd wanted since I first saw it back in 1996, and I had the cash to spare.

Edit: there's one on Ebay now for $60 Buy It Now with $20 shipping, so it might be worth a glance before Amazon tries to violate your wallet.

In '96 the Colonial Marine's Tech Manual was the 'Red Rider BB Gun' equivalent to me as a kid. This makes me want to get a copy now.

Amazon can be pretty terrible with used and out of print prices. Not nearly as bad as some stuff I've seen been offered by the third party sellers on the site though. Like one asking for something like $1,000 for the Warhammer Witch Hunter's Manual. The cheapest asking price was like $600, I think.

Check and re-check used book stores - I've gotten two copies of the Colonial Marine's Tech Manual from Half-Price Books for like $16 each.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Ha, one of the guys is whipping out a samurai sword ... he won't last long.

Good trailer.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Guys Yakuza mother fucker.

And also for those concerned, you see at least two people die in the trailer.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Didn't they just kill off half the cast in that trailer?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Two? I see one guy at 1:10 falling to his doom.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thats him arriving, he says "First thing I remember is seeing light and falling"

The clip is very fast so I can't see who gets ganked but Im sure if you pay attention you can tell who it is so its just something to bear in mind if you don't want to be spoiled.

But Im telling you right now, the asian won't make it.

EDIT: NM M&M, different guy. But Arnie survived it.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, looks nice. Didn't even know they were making a new one. Am I crazy for liking Predator 2 more than 1? I think it's cause of when I saw the 1st one, I didn't get it. I was pretty young and was expecting a normal Arnold film and then there was scary shit going on. In the 2nd one I knew what Predators were. Plus I like dark humor.

Aliens is still my favorite Alien movie too, "Game over man!" So many classic one liners from that movie.

"They mostly come out at night....mostly."

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I like predator 2 mainly for how batshit crazy danny glover is. I mean, there's a point in that movie where the predator is running back to his ship while being tailed by glover, most likely thinking "what the hell is wrong with this motherfucker??!"

Guek on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, looks nice. Didn't even know they were making a new one. Am I crazy for liking Predator 2 more than 1? I think it's cause of when I saw the 1st one, I didn't get it. I was pretty young and was expecting a normal Arnold film and then there was scary shit going on. In the 2nd one I knew what Predators were. Plus I like dark humor.

Aliens is still my favorite Alien movie too, "Game over man!" So many classic one liners from that movie.

The girl that played Newt apparently got teased mercilessly about that line throughout her school years.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    I like predator 2 mainly for how batshit crazy danny glover is. I mean, there's a point in that movie where the predator is running back to his ship while being tailed by glover, most likely thinking "what the hell is wrong with this motherfucker??!"

I think in the opening shootout, Glover has to get to some wounded cops caught in the middle of the firefight. He can't wait for an armored vehicle so he duct tapes some bullet-proof vests to one side of his car and drives right in ... how does that even work??

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

I think in the opening shootout, Glover has to get to some wounded cops caught in the middle of the firefight. He can't wait for an armored vehicle so he duct tapes some bullet-proof vests to one side of his car and drives right in ... how does that even work??

Dude out crazy'd Gary Busey in that movie, he doesn't need to explain shit.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    that trailer fills me with a bit of hope. It looks like it'll be much better than the AvP shit we got anyway

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »
    that trailer fills me with a bit of hope. It looks like it'll be much better than the AvP shit we got anyway

it feels like the source material is being treated with a lot of respect rather than how it was with the AvP movies. Say what you will about whether or not you enjoyed them, it's really hard to deny that both directors went in with the mindset of "this is MY vision and MY movie and that's how we're going to do it." With Predators, it's evident that they're really trying to capture a lot of what made the first one so great: the suspense, not the action.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It doesn't, but I've learned to ignore movie science so I can enjoy myself more. Like when they use a defibulator to start a stopped heart? Doesn't work that way, shocking a heart that doesn't beat doesn't do shit. But I ignore it so I can have a better time.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Zzulu wrote: »

it feels like the source material is being treated with a lot of respect rather than how it was with the AvP movies. Say what you will about whether or not you enjoyed them, it's really hard to deny that both directors went in with the mindset of "this is MY vision and MY movie and that's how we're going to do it." With Predators, it's evident that they're really trying to capture a lot of what made the first one so great: the suspense, not the action.

I like the cut of your jib, fella.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Am I correct in thinking that Predators takes place on another world?

It kind of looks like they're going with a Pitch Black kind of thing, but with more guns and less Vin Diesel.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The first Predator movie created plenty of suspense by making the audience think the humans had a chance. They built traps, they had big guns and big muscles, they coordinated, they've got a safe zone goal ("the choppa") - viewers don't know if the military dudes are going to pull it off or not.

If this Predators does something similar, it could be good. If it's an hour and half of humans being massacred, there won't be much suspense.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

It kind of looks like they're going with a Pitch Black kind of thing, but with more guns and less Vin Diesel.

If Ice-T were in this I'd be calling it a sequel to Surviving the Game.

RedTide on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    yeah, my biggest fear from the trailer about this movie is that, from the get go, it's established that the humans were dumped on a "gaming preserve" on the predator homeworld or a nearby planet.

Even if there was the possibility of escape, are we honestly gonna do that "I have no idea what language this is or what this button does but I'm going to smash it and see if the spaceship takes us home!" kind of shit.

Although, calling the ending now. Humans get on a ship, go to cryo sleep, wake up in the colonial marine times from Aliens OR one of the humans has the same last name as one of the colonial marines from Aliens.

Yeah, I just called the ending.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    yeah, my biggest fear from the trailer about this movie is that, from the get go, it's established that the humans were dumped on a "gaming preserve" on the predator homeworld or a nearby planet.

Even if there was the possibility of escape, are we honestly gonna do that "I have no idea what language this is or what this button does but I'm going to smash it and see if the spaceship takes us home!" kind of shit.

Although, calling the ending now. Humans get on a ship, go to cryo sleep, wake up in the colonial marine times from Aliens OR one of the humans has the same last name as one of the colonial marines from Aliens.

That or one of them does well enough to earn their life.

RedTide on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    RedTide wrote: »

That or one of them does well enough to earn their life.

or, and this could end up being completely retarded or all kinds of awesome, lawrence fishurne turns out to be working with the predators due to having earned the honor in the past and one of the other humans ends up replacing him.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    All the humans are going to die except the emotionally damaged doctor with no combat training and the chick. This is the way of horror movies.

Also, a black guy will die in the first fifteen minutes.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    All the humans are going to die except the emotionally damaged doctor with no combat training and the chick. This is the way of horror movies.

As long as he dies in an "Oh shit!" way like Sam Jackson in Deep Blue Sea, I'll be cool with it.

"A fucking shark ate me!"

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

As long as he dies in an "Oh shit!" way like Sam Jackson in Deep Blue Sea, I'll be cool with it.

"A fucking shark ate me!"

I don't know, black guys seem to do fairly well against Predators.
    In P1, they were in the later half of the group to die (I think they were the 2nd and 3rd to last actually)
    And P2, it was Danny Glover that won.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Danny Glover wasn't a black guy in Predator 2. He was some sort of demigod who got into a melee fight with a Predator and won. Redtide also reminds us that Glover out-crazied Busey in the movie, a feat not possible for mere mortals to accomplish.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    RedTide wrote: »

If Ice-T were in this I'd be calling it a sequel to Surviving the Game.
    I was definitely thinking the whole trailer had a Most Dangerous Game kinda vibe to it, too.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yep. The trailer last page explicitly said "They're the most dangerous killers on the planet. But this, is not our planet."

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, I saw the Predators trailer last night. The cast / director has me cautiously optimistic.

Predator is my favorite classic Arnold movie. Its got everything, action, suspense, one liners, and scenes of uber macho-ness.

The movie actually had quite an impact on me as a kid because prior to seeing the movie, I always thought Arnold was invincible. He practically killed a whole island of dudes by himself in Commando. But Predator really scared me, especially at the end when Arnold is getting ragdolled by the Predator in hand to hand combat.

But I think the character that really pushes Predator from being merely a good action movie, to a great one is Mac. He has so many memorable scenes and lines of dialog. And then when the Predator starts imitating his voice... so creepy.

Gotta watch this movie again.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just rewatched Predator. Such a fantastic movie. Damn near everything Arnold Schwarzenegger says is quotable.

It was funny how when Dillon got hit with the shoulder cannon, his arm fell off but when Dutch gets hit, its a tiny little scratch. Oh well, I guess he's so manly, nothing can hurt him.

And what was up with Arnie's little spike trap? That was such a flakey idea, but I guess everything worked out at the end.

Throughout the whole movie, I was trying to figure out what role each squad member played in the team.

Dutch: Team Lead
    Hawkins: Radio Operator
    Billy: Recon
    Blain: Support
    Poncho: Grenadier

So, what was Mac? I noticed he had an m60, so was he a 2nd support guy? He seemed to be the go to guy for setting up booby traps, so maybe he was the explosives expert? Or maybe he was the team's quintessential crazy guy, though Billy kinda lost his marbles too. In his case, I blame it on that damned nose of his.

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    loosecannon460loosecannon460 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dillion signed his death warrant when he traded bicep curls for pushing pencils.

loosecannon460 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah but this was the pencil.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Awesome trailer but I was surprised by how many Predators they're implying are going to be in the movie. Of course, according to the Conservation of Predators Law most of them are going to be huge pussies.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

The girl that played Newt apparently got teased mercilessly about that line throughout her school years.

Yeah but she had an unbeatable comeback: "Fuck you, I was in motherfucking Aliens, bitch."

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Yeah but she had an unbeatable comeback: "Fuck you, I was mostly in motherfucking Aliens, bitch ... mostly."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Went to see Repo Men tonight, and they had an extended version of that trailer up before the movie. After it was over, my wife leans over to me and says "Okay, I give up. That looked awesome."

<3<3<3

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Submitted for great justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png