As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aliens vs Predator vs Bill Paxton vs Sexual Tyrannosaurus

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There is only one Space Jockey and it is in Alien.

Now a Space Jockey DOES show up in the Alien comic books but it is evil and basically wants the aliens to over run earth before it's species takes over.

But other then that there are no Space Jockeys at all in any of the Alien material be it movies or otherwise.

Cade on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Something just dawned on me.

So whatever popped out of the Space Jockey's chest in Alien must have been fucking huge. I bet it was the giant queen from Aliens. Which then laid the eggs.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are a number of explanations out there as to where queens come from. My favorite was always that a fully grown adult xenomorph would eventually mature into a queen if there were no other queens around and it was able to get enough food.

Smurph on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Am I the only one who would like to see the original concept of people being taken and transformed into new eggs if a Queen wasn't around return until an Alien Queen was produced.

The concept comes off as so messed up I'd love to see it made cannon.

But yeah Alien Queen's are born like any other alien, they're rather distinctive. Think of them like Queen Bee's. Same process more or less.

Cade on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The whole "people turn into eggs" thing was never actually included in the first film, and since the established life-cycle of the Xenomorphs now have the Queen laying the eggs, it can't even be considered apocryphal canon.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i just wish they would make an alien movie that was wholly suspense/horror rather than a monster/slasher. filmmakers need to realize that the alien by itself is no longer scary. its image has been so infused into pop culture and mainstream marketability that people have become long desensitized to it visually. they need to make it scary again. It's become nothing more than another monster. I want it to become a nightmare again.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The more popular a horror film becomes, the less scary it becomes - people know the twists, they know who lives, they know what the monster looks like.

When Alien first came out, Sigourney Weaver was an unknown. No one knew what the fuck the Xeno looked like. Everyone expected Tom Skerritt to save the day.

I'd like to see some sort of essay about this phenomenon some time, because most films only benefit from popularity, but the horror genre actually gets weakened.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Guek wrote: »
    i just wish they would make an alien movie that was wholly suspense/horror rather than a monster/slasher. filmmakers need to realize that the alien by itself is no longer scary. its image has been so infused into pop culture and mainstream marketability that people have become long desensitized to it visually. they need to make it scary again. It's become nothing more than another monster. I want it to become a nightmare again.

I've thought about this a lot but I always eventually decide that it's already been done in the best possible way. You're not going to update Alien and make it better, it's already perfect. One would be better off trying to make a real sequel to Aliens than Alien.

I honestly don't know how they never made a direct sequel to Aliens with space marines and everything. I mean the space marines in that movie have inspired countless ripoffs. Yet for some reason we get 2 more bullshit Alien movies and two bullshit AVP movies set in modern times?

Smurph on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    well wasn't alien:R supposed to be more in line with aliens than alien?

than again, i still don't really know what the hell alien:r was "supposed" to be.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alien Resurrection was doomed from the moment they decided to bring Ripley back from the dead even though the whole thing about Alien 3 was to make sure that they could make Alien movies without Ripley.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The more popular a horror film becomes, the less scary it becomes - people know the twists, they know who lives, they know what the monster looks like.

When Alien first came out, Sigourney Weaver was an unknown. No one knew what the fuck the Xeno looked like. Everyone expected Tom Skerritt to save the day.

I'd like to see some sort of essay about this phenomenon some time, because most films only benefit from popularity, but the horror genre actually gets weakened.

This is why AvP2 gets a nod from me. No character was safe.

Anyways, the scariest moment in the whole franchise is when Ripley, carrying a recently freed-yet-sticky Newt, accidentally ran right in the middle of a room filled with Alien eggs. If the series can ever reproduce that hold-your-breath suspense of walking on egg shells, the Aliens could be scary again. It's not the body count, it's the not knowing.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Why did they ever feel the need to link Alien and Predator in the first place. It's a slippery slope into dubious continuity that at best is lame and at worst proves Jesus died in vain.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Because cross-overs in comic books are fun and the AvP comic books were successful.

Archie_meets_Punisher.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Because cross-overs in comic books are fun and the AvP comic books were successful.

Archie_meets_Punisher.jpg

Comic books suck as movies, crossovers suck in general, and in this case it's merely just an elevated fandom wetdream.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    king_kong_vs_godzilla.jpg
    boxart.jpg

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Disney + Final Fantasy.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Yes, it's true, crossovers exist.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Looks like he gave that review while on the tiolet.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    2 new predator featurettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRg7y-MHXjY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfZFP9oVubY&feature=player_embedded

I think the first one, featuring Topher, confirms what we all expected.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure man, the idea that the smartest one is the most successful in the bloodsport meshes pretty well with the other Predator movies, especially Predator 1. Arnold didn't best the predator with his testosterone dripping biceps. Wait, yes he did. But he did use quite a bit of brilliant reasoning to help him.

Robman on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I thought I read somewhere that Topher was a serial killer that eventually went after the girl on the team.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jesus, Topher looks like my brother in that featurette. Scary.

Tach on
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wanted to see Topher Grace in more films after watching him in Spider-Man 3...but not this. :(

I'd love to see Topher as Peter Parker in a reboot of the franchise that will never happen!

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    How does it feel to be face raped by a face hugger, the world may never know.
    Where the project is at in the writing stage:

Ridley Scott: As we speak, I've got a pile of pages next to me; it's like the fourth draft. It's a work in progress, but we're not dreaming it up anymore. We know what the story is. We're now actually trying to improve the three acts and make the characters better, build it up to something [we can shoot]. It's a work in progress, but we're actually making the film. There's no question about it, we're going to make the film.

A bit on the plot:

Scott: It's set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It's fundamentally about going out to find out 'Who the hell was that Space Jockey?' The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle — there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer's chair. Remember that? And our man [Tom Skerritt as Captain Dallas] climbs up and says "There's been an explosion in his chest from the inside out — what was that?" I'm basically explaining who that Space Jockey — we call him the Space Jockey — I'm explaining who the space jockeys were.

On Sigourney Weaver's participation:

Scott: It will be before she was born! Well, the main character [in the prequel] will be a woman, yeah. We're thinking it could go down that route, yeah. When I started the original "Alien," Ripley wasn't a woman, it was a guy. During casting, we thought, "Why don't we make it a woman?"

On creating new aliens, and whether he'll consult original "Alien" designer H.R. Giger:

Scott: I think, I have to design — or redesign — earlier versions of what these elements are that led to the thing you finally see in "Alien," which is the thing that catapults out of the egg, the face-hugger. I don't want to repeat it. The alien in a sense, as a shape, is worn out. (Giger's) still around. Once I get more serious and get going, and the big wheels start turning, we'll certainly talk. And maybe we'll come up with something completely different.

When we can expect to see it:

Scott: We're hoping to have it in theaters in late 2011, or maybe the best date in 2012.

On what made him change his mind about doing another "Alien" film:

Scott: Honestly? They've squeezed the franchise dry. The first one will always be the most frightening, because the beast we put together with Giger and all its parts — the face-hugger, the chest-burster, the egg — they were all totally original, and that's hard to follow. ... I've always avoided sequels, unless I felt there was something fresh.

Cade on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So... the movie is about the alien that we first saw?

I'm... not so sure this is going to make a compelling movie...

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It won't be. Its a terrible idea.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If I was an insane billionaire I would buy the rights to both franchises and make a final AVP movie.

It would start with an alien and a predator meeting in the middle of a large field, they both have boxes - in each box is all the respective properties of both franchises including crossovers, along with some documents that read "Rights to the alien franchise" and "Rights to the predator franchise"

The predator takes off his mask, lets loose a single tear, and hugs the alien as he detonates his self destruct, and the DONT DATE ROBOTS guy from futurama announces THATS IT, THEY'RE GONE, NO MORE ALIEN OR PREDATOR MOVIES and the credits roll

override367 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If I was an insane billionaire I would buy the rights to both franchises and make a final AVP movie.

It would start with an alien and a predator meeting in the middle of a large field, they both have boxes - in each box is all the respective properties of both franchises including crossovers, along with some documents that read "Rights to the alien franchise" and "Rights to the predator franchise"

The predator takes off his mask, lets loose a single tear, and hugs the alien as he detonates his self destruct, and the DONT DATE ROBOTS guy from futurama announces THATS IT, THEY'RE GONE, NO MORE ALIEN OR PREDATOR MOVIES and the credits roll

Man Aliens can't carry boxes, your premise is flawed.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not going to write it off just yet. This is still the best/only chance we have of getting a good Alien movie in the foreseeable future.

I'm wondering if they're going to borrow something from the comics. I suspect not, but you never know.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In all likelyhood this new project will suck ass, but I'm also open to the possibility of Scott pulling it off: A return to the first movie's mystery/horror theme would be a good thing. Hopefully the extra prequel fluff will be somwhat interesting.
    Space Jockey race are the Na'avi, calling it now.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have faith in the prequel solely on the basis that Ridley Scott is running the show.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whether the movie works or not, I'm definitely interested in the whole Space Jockey thing finally being explained.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I kind of hope that this "prequel" is actually a cover for what'll actually be in the movie. Maybe 10 min or so will be devoted to the space jocky and then something we can actually care about will happen.

Or I just have a very different opinion on what is interesting....

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    An alien biological weapons movie could be pretty fun, I'd think.

It would be great to have a human-free genre of sci-fi movies.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm sorta surprised at how knee-jerk the negative reaction is. Part of the reason ALIEN worked so well was because of the alien nature of the creature. You had no idea what the fuck to expect. So you get the same director, hopefully working in the same slow, deliberate fashion, in 3D, with a redesigned (w/ Giger's help, no less) xenomorph, and it's automatically "teh suck?"

I know 3D has a huge, and well-deserved, backlash, especially after Clash of the Titans. but 3D is really well suited to the sort of long takes that Ridley used to make up about 95% of ALIEN back in 79. That movie is, in my opinion, the perfect horror film, especially in the way the pacing helps establish a pervasive dread that is working your nerves almost subliminally. Now imagine adding a shot-for-3D-with-3D-cameras element to that immersive dread.

Directed by Ridley Scott.

with all new creature designs by H.R. Giger.

And it's automatically "MAN, FUCK THIS?"

I don't get that.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think it's because people don't want to get too hyped. It's a defense mechanism to protect us from bad media. Example: I was really excited for the new Clash of the Titans.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    I get the defense mechanism train of thought, but it seems so awkwardly applied here. For example: Clash of the Titans was a remake of a pretty shitty movie, by a mediocre director, with a crap leading man. It makes sense to be skeptical of that.

This is Ridley Scott returning to ALIEN, attempting to jettison everything about the series that doesn't work anymore due to overexposure from hack directors ineptly using the characters and atmosphere.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oy! I liked the original Clash! We meet with pistols at dawn!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited April 2010
    I DEMAND SATISFACTION

(glove slap)

Fatboy Roberts on