As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vista Home Premium w/o Disk?

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So.

I installed Ubuntu on a friend's laptop a month ago using Wubi.

Without going into too much detail, it fucking sucked. It won't work without the USB key in, and is generally just terrible. There's no explanation for it.

He wants Vista back on, but has no disk. I cannot for the life of me repair his Vista install. Luckily for me all he was using it for was Evony.

I'm installing Xubuntu right now just to see if it works better, ultimately I'd like to get Vista back on it. He's got a valid Vista key, but no disk. Is there anyway that I can get Vista on there w/o a valid (read: original) disk?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Was it hand built or from like a big box supplier (Dell, HP, Gateway)? If it was, they'll mail it to you for like 10-20 bucks

blakfeld on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Nowadays there's a pretty big chance that there's a recovery partition on the HD, if the PC was bought pre-built / pre-installed. If so, you usually open it by pressing F8 during boot.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blakfield - I'm not paying for anything.

Sander - I'll try it. Thanks. Hopefully the partition is still there.

EDIT: The partition is not there.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!