As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Book thread: Distractions welcome

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've never read any L'Amour, but a few days back in some thread or other I mentioned I had a Louis L'Amour tape? It was a gag gift (along with Midwest Polka Band Hits) but it was actually totally awesome. Like, the best possible thing to listen to on a road trip. And then I found out that my grandfather loves Louis L'Amour, making him even more awesome than he already was.

I guess what I'm saying is I miss that tape, and I can't scoff at the Westerns section at the bookstore anymore.

My dad has an entire bookshelf dedicated to Louis L'Amour.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have every Louis L'Amour novel ever written. I kid you not. Got them from my folks. I have read every single one.

Quoth - There's a series by a dude named Simon R. Green that's pretty decent. I didn't like it as much as Dresden, but it's pretty ok. It's set in the "Darkside" of London, which is basically a magical underworld version. Oh, and the amount of Dresden Files ripoffs in them is pretty funny as well.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My grandfather also has every Louis L'Amour book. I have only seen a few of the Tom Selleck movies though.

Langly on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Key update: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is great

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What you've been is not on boats.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What you've been is not on boats.

That is one of my favorite scenes in the play, and any time I'm hanging out with a certain group of friends the whole script ends up being quoted extensively

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The foot, on the other hand. . .

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Key update: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead is great

it is essentially a better version of waiting for godot, which is one incredible accomplishment

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This is good, because I'm reading Waiting for Godot later

Also there is so much innuendo that you could cut it with a butter knife

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    waiting for godot is fantastic

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fiz wrote: »
    Adding books to my kindle is fun. If you like Fantasy or Science Fiction and want to suggest stuff feel free to do so.

For some reason, three of the four books in this one series are available for the Kindle. The first, second, and fourth. Why not the third? Still a fun little toy

Check out Neal Asher and Richard Morgan.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The last few things Pip and AMP'D said are all true

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My collection of unread books grows. I bought The Graveyard Book, Lirael and The Hobbit yesterday. Since they were part of the 3 or 2 deal, and I had 8 euroes on my Waterstones card, they only came to 10 euroes total. I now have 26 books on my shelf I haven't read (not counting The Hobbit since I've read it before.)

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lirael is the sequel to Sabriel, right?

I loved Sabriel and only recently became aware of the other books

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it is. I should read it before I forget everything that happened in Sabriel.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I have, without doubt, well over a hundred books that I own but have not yet read

Anyway, you can totally read The Graveyard Book and Lirael in one day's reading. So get on that! I occasionally go through periods of not allowing myself to be distracted by library books or new books, just so I finish older unread things at some point in my life.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man I have, without doubt, well over a hundred books that I own but have not yet read

Anyway, you can totally read The Graveyard Book and Lirael in one day's reading. So get on that! I occasionally go through periods of not allowing myself to be distracted by library books or new books, just so I finish older unread things at some point in my life.

Or by the need to sleep apparently.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've given it up

My leg is like, fucking, Jacob Marley's chain he forged in life, right now

just draggin' around with a big ol bandage rattling about how crappy life is as a ghost, that's me

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Check yo email ebeneezer

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey people that were talking about The Scar a little while ago; do you need to have read Perdido Street Station first or will it make sense without it? I read King Rat thinking that was first and just got The Scar and realized that PSS was related to it and preceded it.

Peen on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey people that were talking about The Scar a little while ago; do you need to have read Perdido Street Station first or will it make sense without it? I read King Rat thinking that was first and just got The Scar and realized that PSS was related to it and preceded it.

You can read The Scar without reading PSS first. Anything you need to know in the second book is explained (eventually). But if you can it is well worth it to do PSS first, both as a standalone enjoyable read and as a significant enhancement to your The Scar experience.

EDIT: And neither have any relation to King Rat, other than being written by the same dude. He grew a lot as a writer after KR, his first novel. I enjoyed it, but I think it's pretty clearly his weakest book.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Iolo. Now I have to decide whether to wait for PSS to come in from another library (both copies in the system are checked out so it could be a while), or just read The Scar and not worry about it. I guess the first thing is finish these last 300 pages of The Bonehunters and then decide.

Peen on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh shit - I went on Amazon to try to tempt you with some preposterously cheap, used version of Perdido Street Station only to find that he's got a new book coming out June 29 -- Kraken! (Exclamation point mine. It's not a broadway musical... yet.)

That is awesome news, and unexpected since The City & The City just came out last May.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    a broadway musical called Kraken! would almost certainly be awesome.

Langly on
  • Options
    celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would watch that.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    a broadway musical called Kraken! would almost certainly be awesome.

BREAK YOUR BACKS AND CRACK YOUR OARS MEN

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hello book thread, I was looking at some Doctor Who books in the library yesterday and I just wanted to say how truly awful some of them are. The best ones are pretty good, but the worst ones seem to latch on to the most obvious 10th Doctor cliches - using the sonic screwdriver like a magic wand, "timey-wimey" descriptions of alien phenomena, "zany" behaviour - and just pour them on in buckets. The way they portray him it's a wonder he doesn't burst out of the TARDIS on a sonic pogo stick going YIPPEEE!

Butler on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I was just gearing up to watch the last episodes of the last season over here because I have been semi-desperate for new Who. Not desperate enough to actually go ahead and pick up any of the books yet but it's close to that point.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Apparently the next season has an episode where he meets Vincent van Gogh, with Van Gogh
    en-coloring-pictures-pages-photo-vincent-van-gogh-p7513.jpg

being played by Tony Curran.
    Tony%20Curran-3.jpg

Butler on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Alpine wrote: »
    I finished the new Wheel of Time book last night

I know, I know, braid tugging and sniffing and skirt smoothing, but the best thing to happen to that series was Robert Jordan dying, the new writer picks up the pace and runs with it

I really liked it
    but isn't it going to take another 3 books to finish the series?

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    Alpine wrote: »
    I finished the new Wheel of Time book last night

I know, I know, braid tugging and sniffing and skirt smoothing, but the best thing to happen to that series was Robert Jordan dying, the new writer picks up the pace and runs with it

I really liked it
    but isn't it going to take another 3 books to finish the series?

Jordan himself was pulling that "just a couple more books" bullshit since way back in the day.

And then he'd be all "Oh but there's just so much story to pack in I'm going to have to make it a couple books more, but before I even write those I'm going to go back to the first book and split that into two books and write like one new chapter for each."

Jordan could have lived to be 98 and still not finished this fucking thing.

Butler on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    @mattufford: R.I.P., Howard Zinn and J.D. Salinger. Maybe their funerals can be grossly overrated, too.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    NotACrook wrote: »
    @mattufford: R.I.P., Howard Zinn and J.D. Salinger. Maybe their funerals can be grossly overrated, too.

That's a pretty sick burn.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fucking aye

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    man, sort of a bummer about Salinger

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The dude was 91 and a hermit. It's not like he was writing the next great american novel or anything.

edit: lost it in the database error: Although, looking at his wiki, it seems like him dying is the best thing for people who like his work. He did write, he just never published, and now it's all going to come out.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe one of his unpublished novels will be better than Catcher in the Rye

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    wait both zinn and salinger died?

dang

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now they can finally make a Catcher in the Rye movie, starring Shai Lebooof

NotASenator on
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now they can finally make an A People's History of the United States movie starring teefs, Howard Zinn's emaciated corpse and a doublesided dildo.

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.