As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Tech Thread: Apple iPad.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2010
    that's one period

8-)

i should be glad i missed

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    sorry about your fish

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain if you're taking something that does not belong to you, whether that thing is virtual or not, constitutes an act of theft.

Not at all. There are all kinds of things that don't belong to me that I can take, without it being an act of theft.

For example I just quoted your words in my post. Those words are not mine, me quoting them is not an act of 'theft' from you.

that quote is public domain, though, while copyrighted movies/music is not

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm fairly certain if you're taking something that does not belong to you, whether that thing is virtual or not, constitutes an act of theft.

Not at all. There are all kinds of things that don't belong to me that I can take, without it being an act of theft.

For example I just quoted your words in my post. Those words are not mine, me quoting them is not an act of 'theft' from you.

Which is the difference between copyright infringement and theft.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

wouldn't that simply make copyright infringement a different kind of theft?

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

No, if I stole your idea or quote from you, you wouldn't have it anymore. It would be mine, illegally, and you wouldn't be able to make use of it or profit from it.

In the case of theft, the victim is deprived of more than in the case of copyright infringement.

Brolo on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    this discussion

again

Weaver on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    it's like board games!

in chess, when someone takes your piece, they just remove it from the board, meaning they are +0 and you are -1

in othello, when someone takes your piece, it becomes theirs and they are +1 and you are -1, meaning relative to you they are +2

othello is theft and chess is copyright infringement/illegal downloading/whatever

Snork on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

No, if I stole your idea or quote from you, you wouldn't have it anymore. It would be mine, illegally, and you wouldn't be able to make use of it or profit from it.

In the case of theft, the victim is deprived of more than in the case of copyright infringement.

but if people are allowed to have the copied software for free, there would be no incentive to buy the original version

this would deprive the original creator of at least some profit they would have had otherwise

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

but if people are allowed to have the copied software for free, there would be no incentive to buy the original version

this would deprive the original creator of at least some profit they would have had otherwise

Not true.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    thread is full of simple country lawyers

Weaver on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Basically anyone who pirates deserves a swift kick to the balls.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I often sit back and wonder what modern youth would have done 15 years ago when there was no real mass-market way to download shit.

"You mean.... I have to go out and buy music? and movies? Like.... with my money?"

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Stale wrote: »
    I often sit back and wonder what modern youth would have done 15 years ago when there was no real mass-market way to download shit.

"You mean.... I have to go out and buy music? and movies? Like.... with my money?"

going down to the music store in the mall

approach ye wall of cassette tapes

browse for an hour before you realize that they don't have the one you're looking for

Weaver on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    On the flip side of course it is very annoying when you want to buy a company's product but they give you no way of doing so.

Dammit, GSC, I want to buy STALKER Call of Pripyat! Why won't you let me by actually having it available in CAnada?

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Weaver wrote: »

browse for an hour before you realize that they don't have the one you're looking for

Movie releases to theatres on Aug 1st, you go see it. Now you wait 6 months before you can see it again when it releases on VHS.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Movie releases to theatres on Aug 1st, you go see it. Now you wait 6 months before you can see it again when it releases on VHS.
    forget to buy movie when it's released

go to store after initial release is over

wait five years

Weaver on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember this, and it was shit

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

wait five years

Hey, Band X has a new album out.... I should wait til the radio DJ plays a few tracks.

Man I wish there was some way in the store to listen to music before I buy it.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    stale

did you ever have to rent one of those great huge bulky VHS players from the grocery store

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have forrest gump on vhs
    is this retarded y/n

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

wait five years

Hey, Band X has a new album out.... I should wait til the radio DJ plays a few tracks.

leaving a blank cassette in the boom box so when your favorite song comes on you can run over and hit record

getting pissed when the DJ talks over the end of the song or starts a commercial early

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    HAHAAHAHAHA

YESSSSS

The first time I rented a NES, it came home in a metal suitcase with stenciled painted "Property of Family Video"

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the oldest console I ever rented was the dreamcast when it came out

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Not true.

kinda exaggerated the incentive to buy thing but still

jesus fuck this argumentSO HOW BOUT DEM COURIERS

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I must have had 20 scratchy cassette tapes of radio recordings, always missing the first or last 15 seconds of any given song.

Hell it was years before I heard all of Unforgiven.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i would sit in my room with the stereo on

blank cassette in the stereo

finger poised over the record button

just waiting

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited February 2010

wait five years

leaving a blank cassette in the boom box so when your favorite song comes on you can run over and hit record

getting pissed when the DJ talks over the end of the song or starts a commercial early

god damnit weaver

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

wait five years

renting a movie from blockbuster, forgetting to return it before 12:00 in the afternoon the next day, paying an extra 5 dollars... oh wait, they still do that shit.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When I show people Boxee

and all the shows they can watch for free

it blows their fucking minds.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    When I show people Boxee

im waiting patiently for the actual boxee to get released.

gonna be so nice.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

The "taking", which you're not actually doing, isn't even the crime. The crime is the duplication and distribution, which is willingly performed by the other party. This is so different from regular theft that I'm not sure how you can equate the two in your head.

I might be able to see your point if money changed hands at any point it time in the process, but it does not. The only way that someone is even wronged is in the abstract sense that demand for their product may have been manipulated.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    when the playstation came out, I went to rent one from blockbuster

"$300 deposit please."

"I'm 15."

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    fucking damnit

im mixing up the tech threads.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nogs wrote: »
    When I show people Boxee

im waiting patiently for the actual boxee to get released.

gonna be so nice.

the Boxee Box?

Hell yes. That and the 46" tv I'm getting for a buddy for a really great price, and I'll finally be able to relax and watch shows on the couch instead of my computer.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mowing the lawn with my clunky, water resistant cassette player that would weigh down my pants.

playing all the songs i recorded on the radio.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    running a cable from the headphone jack of your buddies walkman to the input port on your hand-me-down beat up boom box so you can record the new green day album

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    waiting like 15 seconds before moving with your portable CD player because it's gotta rev up the anti-skip or else you get music in 2 second bursts.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Had a copy of Monster Squad we watched till the tape wore out, recorded from TV, weird cuts from the commercials.

Abracadaniel on
This discussion has been closed.