As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RPG Liposuction: How much fat should be trimmed?

1151617181921»

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sadly I don't think there's much of a market for ultra toolboxes like NWN1.

Which is a shame because the playerbase made some really outstanding stuff for it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

They tried it with dragon age but they kind of half arsed it so it hasn't taken off in the same way :/

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

They tried it with dragon age but they kind of half arsed it so it hasn't taken off in the same way :/

Another part of the problem is that Dragon Age (and NWN2) due to being more advanced than NWN1 are kind of a lot harder to build for. NWN1 was at a nice middle ground of average but not bad graphics and ease of use as a toolset.

I miss it :(

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Still, there is precednece for single player games giving the option to have a friend(s) play with you. Secret of Mana and FF9 are an RPG example. They could even go Gears of War example where instead of an extra character on screen, they just replace someone. My wife isn't into the lore like I am, she could just control Alistair or Shale while I play the main story.

It's just something I'd like to see someday in games. Mostly cause my wife won't play a game like that herself unless she can play with me. I'd even buy 2 copies if that was the price for it.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NWN2 Toolset basically got rid of half the preview windows from the NWN1 Toolset, making it annoyingly hard to use.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I wondered why there wasn't loads of good user created stuff for Dragon Age. The NWN1 stuff was outstanding, they even did an official one that was an infinite dungeon ala Diablo, now of someone could do that with Dragon Age (with more loot than the main game) I would be sold 100 times over, as it is I am too busy on Titan Quest and Oblivion.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bethryn wrote: »
    NWN2 Toolset basically got rid of half the preview windows from the NWN1 Toolset, making it annoyingly hard to use.

No, what made it hard to use were the actual tools it came with. They're pretty awkward and force you to put in a ridiculous amount of time to make things not look terrible.

NWN1 used tilesets. Anyone with half a brain can take those tiles and arrange them in their area to make something that looks decent.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    NwN2 uses tilesets; almost every indoor area was a tileset. And the outdoor generation wasn't all that much different from old RTS mapping tools. I never had an issue with either of those, it was rather that all the interesting creations; the conversations, items, characters and interactive object menus were just inefficient and clunky. For example, etting an armour set done in NwN1 took about ten minutes, but in NwN2 it was closer to thirty, just because you had to go back and preview every time you made a change rather than having the panes linked so you could see what you were doing as you did it.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.