As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Get back in the kitchen, sucka!

Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond HubbardMordor XenuRegistered User regular
edited June 2020 in Social Entropy++
So, The_Indigo_Apocolypse and mrpaku asked me for a recipe of chicken and pasta that I cooked last night; while I'm typing it up, I thought I might get the thread going with a repost from H/A that I did awhile back. Keep in mind that it's not just food; it's beverages as well, so if yo have a wine or beer/stout that you think goes well with your recipe, have at it.

Marinated Ribeye

Lay hands on a nice juicy cut; it’s important that you don’t freeze the meat and kill the natural flavors. Find a six-pack of a dark ale or stout; my preference has always been Shiner Boch for this particular recipe.

Marinate your ribeye in the beer for about two hours in the fridge. You do have the option of marinating for an even longer period, but keep in mind that the fermented beverage acts like a tenderizer and can break down the meat if you leave it overnight. When you feel the marinade is ready, remove the beef and rub with sugar; this will give a caramelizing effect when you grill the ribeye, effectively sealing in the flavor that can be lost by grilling. The best temperature for this little cut is around medium; the flavor is still in the meat and the caramelized sugar prevents the meat from drying out. But, everyone is different, so it’s up to you.

You can also save the marinade to baste on the meat while grilling to give it a little extra flavor. My personal preference is to reduce the leftover marinade to produce a nice smoky, heady glaze to finish off the presentation.

Now, this is a fairly basic recipe and can be modified in any number of ways. A buddy of mine used to love adding crushed red pepper to the marinade to spice things up a bit. Your mileage may vary based upon your personal tastes.

But wait; we’re not done yet. The side dishes can make you or break you on this one. The classic favorites are going to be mashed potatoes and green beans. Mashed potatoes are the simplest thing in the world to make. Just cut about a pound of potatoes into small chunks and boil, stirring occasionally. They should reduce down into a nice smooth texture the longer you agitate and cook them; add water for consistency if they become too thick and remember to lower the heat and let them simmer. The green beans are even easier. Find some nice fresh beans, peel them, and lightly sautee them with olive or sesame oil. If you feel the urge (and I always do), toss in some small chunks of garlic and thin sliced onion. For the best results, you’ll want to cook the onions and garlic in the pan first until they’re soft and toss in your beans at the end for about five minutes to keep them crisp and full of flavor. Another buddy of mine had a great idea for an orange and mango chutney sautéed with a dash of chili paste or sriracha to replace the potatoes; I’m not that crazy about spicy fruit, but it’s basically just diced orange and mango slices, sesame oil, and a dash of sugar, cooked until tender. The sauce for the chutney should be slightly less thick than maple syrup.

Oh, and you remember that marinade that’s left over? If you’re not all about the glaze on your ribeye, how about some dark gravy for those potatoes? Reduce your leftover marinade to cook off the alcohol and add in small amounts of beef stock until you hit the right consistency. Once again, it’s all about preference.

As for the wine, the ribeye cooked in this fashion is most easily paired with a fruity cabernet sauvignon when served with spicy glaze and the fruit chutney; if you’re more traditional and like the taters, go with a more smooth merlot. Or not. Mad Dog may be your beverage of choice on this one.

So, there you are, a fairly easy recipe that has some small preparation to it and plenty of room for improvisation. Your turn.

Darth Waiter on

• SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    wait, you want me to eat a steak that has shit on it other than salt and pepper.

and it isn't dry aged.

WTF kind of thread is this?

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You'll make one of them a nice gay marriage partner one day.

Hunter on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got a good recipe for goat cheese stuffed bell peppers.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i will contribute to this later because real men know how to cook their own fucking meals

mrpaku on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    wait, you want me to eat a steak that has shit on it other than salt and pepper.

and it isn't dry aged.

WTF kind of thread is this?

One where Manifest will display his amazing abilitites with fashion and cooking. Besides, Slung, not all steaks are cut or raised equally.

Darth Waiter on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've got a sweet recipe for burritos: walk your ass to a Chipotle and buy one.

Because no amount of homemade burrito goodness can top Chipotle.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited January 2007
    if your butcher doesn't have dry aged, hand cut steak you need to kill yourself. You don't need no stinking marinade. All you need is a pound or so of charcoal and about 30 minutes time (that would be 20 minutes for the charcoal to get to embers and 10 minutes of cooking so it will be nice and rare).

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't usually use the sugar approach, Darth. How much sugar would you need for whatever size of steak?

Defender on
    edited January 2007
    lostwords wrote:

i strongly beg to differ

although chipotle is good, i have had far better homemade burritos on occasion

mrpaku on
    edited January 2007
    lostwords wrote:

Try Freebirds; all kinds of hippie goodness. And they have pictures of Dimebag Abbott on the walls.

Darth Waiter on
    edited January 2007
    also, if you want to 'seal in the juices', don't use sugar. just give the steak a light coating of olive oil (then season it). Plop it on the grill, flip it after 6 minutes then take it off after another 4.

PERFECT STEAK

Slungsolow on
    edited January 2007
    Yeah I usually go for olive oil, but the sugar thing is interesting.

Defender on
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Yeah I usually go for olive oil, but the sugar thing is interesting.

Sugar burns and would add non steaky char (and probably add a horrible carbon taste).

Slungsolow on
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    I don't usually use the sugar approach, Darth. How much sugar would you need for whatever size of steak?

Use it like a rub; what you're looking for is a light dusting over the meat, like a tablespoon on each side of a 12 oz. ribeye. You don't want Bronson Pinchot's nose in True Romance here.

To Slung: It's all about the budget here, man. There's college students up in here.

edit: The rub method isn't some folks favorite so you can actually just toss the sugar into the marinade if you like, but I haven't tried that method before.

Darth Waiter on
  • GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    lostwords wrote:

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say that you don't know what you're talking about.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Chipotle burritos are ok...but uh, far from the ultimate in burritoness. Oh man, I ate a "Texas" burrito from a restaurant a week or two back. That thing was super fucking huge. Y'all probably aren't familiar with Chuy's, but anyhoo, this thing was like 30% larger than a Chuy's Big as Your Face burrito.

Dynagrip on
    edited January 2007
    fuck college students.

I live like a king.

side dishes to go with your 12 Oz Dry Aged, Hand Cut Filet Mignon:

Take a plastic ziplock bag - add in some CLEANED (that means washed and trimmed) White Asparagus. Add 1/3 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper (white, black doesn't matter) and 2 teaspoons sea salt. Shake, shake, shake, Senora, shake it all the time (Whoa). Let it marinate for about 20 minutes and then Shake, shake, shake, Senora, shake it all the time (Whoa). Throw it on the grill and turn it every 4 minutes. After about or 5 turns check to see if it is nice and tender. If Yes, remove it and eat that shit. If not, turn it and check it again in 4 minutes. DO NOT LET IT BURN.

Take that same plastic ziplock bag. Add in some CLEANED (that means washed and trimmed) broccolini. Add 1/3 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper (white, black doesn't matter) and 2 teaspoons sea salt. Shake, shake, shake, Senora, shake it all the time (Whoa). Let it marinate for about 20 minutes and then Shake, shake, shake, Senora, shake it all the time (Whoa). Arrange it on a broiler proof pan and throw it under a LOW broiler for 5 - 8 minutes. DO NOT LET IT BURN. Check it after 5 minutes to see how it is doing. If it looks and tastes like it is delicious then you did it right.

Serve this with your delicious steak and you are fucking king of the world.

Slungsolow on
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    lostwords wrote:

Try Freebirds; all kinds of hippie goodness. And they have pictures of Dimebag Abbott on the walls.
    Most people don't have Freebirds in their cities, just 'lucky' Texans. Personally, I don't really like either. There's a place in Austin called Chango's that beats them both.

denihilist on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    denihilist wrote:
    lostwords wrote:

Most people don't have Freebirds in their cities, just 'lucky' Texans. Personally, I don't really like either. There's a place in Austin called Chango's that beats them both.
    I used to be all about Freebirds but they have been sorely lacking of late. Mission Burrito doesn't cut it either.

Burritos are so simple, I do not understand how they can fuck them up.

Dynagrip on
  • DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lay hands on a nice juicy cut
    Marinate your ribeye in the beer for about two hours in the fridge.
    remove the beef and rub with sugar; this will give a caramelizing effect when you grill the ribeye

:winky: :winky: :winky:

DarkHawke on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    You're a pussy unless you bite your steak right off the cow.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marinating steak is only ok if it's a lower quality cut. Ribeye is a high quality cut with plenty of marbling for flavor. It should not be marinated.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited January 2007
    Fuck biting it off the cow, I just charge up my fuckin' chi and then will it off the cow and into my stomach, all deep in my horse stance, hands chambered palm-up. I got a belt so long it piles up on the ground.

Defender on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like it when people who aren't me cook things so that people who are me can eat them.

They should open up places where people cook nice things and then I eat them.

edit - eat the nice things, not the people.

ascot on
    edited January 2007
    yeah, I just pay an executive chef to take care of my steak preparations. again, if anyone is ever in the DC area and wants a tasty steak meal, let me know and I'll show you the best of the best of the best. and it will only cost your $30 (with wine and desert, it will be about $50).

Slungsolow on
    edited January 2007
    ascot wrote:
    I like it when people who aren't me cook things so that people who are me can eat them.

The should open up places where people cook nice things and then I eat them.

Yeah, that's nice, but the thing is that it costs way more than it needs to, it's often not much faster than just doing it yourself, and you have no real control over the ingredients, which means they're inclined to load everything with salt, butter, and sugar...not too healthy.

I think about it this way. I live outside of Philadelphia. I can buy a good cheesesteak just about anywhere. But for roughly the same price as I can buy a cheesesteak from a shop, I can make one, but with filet mignon. To me, the extra quality that I get from using that meat is worth much more than the extra effort that it requires to cook it myself.

Also, on top of getting healthier and/or better quality ingredients, and saving money, you gain a skill.

Restaurants are nice and all, but man, I prefer doing it myself.

Defender on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Homemade fajitas are so good

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Manifest wrote:
    lostwords wrote:

Can you just ban him? Forever?

Aneurhythmia on
    edited January 2007
    Manifest wrote:
    lostwords wrote:

That will only serve to help in perpetuating his ignorance of the culinary arts.

Defender on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Also, on top of getting healthier and/or better quality ingredients, and saving money, you gain a skill.

Restaurants are nice and all, but man, I prefer doing it myself.

I'd like to be able to do it myself, and eventually i will, or rather i'll have to.
    I just really enjoy eating out.

I'm totally onto restaurants though, I'm fully aware the $80 steak i had in NY was actually about $10 and $70 more for the fannying around in the restaurant.

I want steak.

ascot on
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    lostwords wrote:

That will only serve to help in perpetuating his ignorance of the culinary arts.
    Man, statements like, "no amount of homemade burrito goodness can top Chipotle," are high fucking treason. I want him executed.
    Defender wrote:
    And you can apply that towards leveling up.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited January 2007
    here is an excellent method of cooking steak for the gourmets of se++, this works best with Filets, but can work with a Ribeye, Strip or a GIGANTIC porterhouse

Take the steak. Salt it with course sea salt, Pepper it with fresh ground pepper. Take a good sized iron skillet, add about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of olive oil. Turn your broiler on high. Place the steak in the pan and throw it under the flames. DO NOT FLIP. Cook the steak until the portion in the oil is burnt to a fucking crisp. the top, which was closest the flame will be tender, while the bottom will be crisp. If you did this right, the steak should be rare to medium rare and motherfucking delicious.

You can serve this with the following (and it can be cooked at the same time).

Get some tomatillas. take off the husk and cut off the stem area (cut it down about 1/2 an inch into the flesh of the fruit. Throw the fruit in an iron skillet. add some freshly crushed garlic (roast garlic is good too) into the stem area. Add salt, pepper and a Drizzle of olive oil. Put it under the broiler until it is heated through and completely tender. It takes about 5 - 10 minutes depending on how much heat your broiler loses.

Slungsolow on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    we talking about cooking?

PiptheFair on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I cook Italian-style. I make it up as I go and listen to my garlic-infused heart.

TankHammer on
    edited January 2007
    PipTheFair wrote:
    we talking about cooking?

we totally are

mrpaku on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I like Chipotle.

I like home made stuff too.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited January 2007
    all this talk of mexican food is making me hungry for an egg, cheese and chorizo burrito.

GOD DAMN IT.

Slungsolow on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I cook Italian-style. I make it up as I go and listen to my garlic-infused heart.

There is no such thing as too much garlic in my food.

Also, if you're in the mood for something different, try lamb. I got a lamb roast seasoning from Penzy's that will own your soul. Rub it on with a bit of olive oil, cook it, and eat like a king.

I've been in a lamb and venison kick lately. I don't think I've had beef in almost 3 months.

Hunter on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    Manifest wrote:
    lostwords wrote:

Man, statements like, "no amount of homemade burrito goodness can top Chipotle," are high fucking treason. I want him executed.
    Defender wrote:
    And you can apply that towards leveling up.

Eating healthier actually costs more than eating crap. Fast food and Ramen noodles is cheaper than lean meat and fresh vegetables. Learning how to cook only saves you money if you typically eat out a lot.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eating healthier actually costs more than eating crap. Fast food and Ramen noodles is cheaper than lean meat and fresh vegetables. Learning how to cook only saves you money if you typically eat out a lot.
    Bread and other cheap things aren't so bad in combination with
    200.jpg

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg