As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The other slates that no one seems to care about thread.

• taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Agreed, Apple has a MASSIVE mindshare. But, at the same time, that can work against you. I think a lot of people were meh about the iPad just because of the extreme levels of hype. This is the chance to swoop in, If MS uses the upcoming show to show off WinMo7 and the Courier, the ball could start rolling, with articles about how MS and Apple are gonna be fighting for the tablet market, anything to get people talking. Of course, for all I know, the Courier could be dead in the water, and it's never going to come out. When's the last time we had any info? November?

Many people were "meh" about the iPad, true. However, they actually know about it. Can you say the same for any of the devices that are probably fairly competitive with it?

So, basically I agree with you. I'm just very cynical about anyone else getting a message out there at all.

taeric on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I agree. It's gonna take a lot of effort and more than a bit of luck to break Apple's hold. I think it can be done, provided enough newspapers and magazines get into it. Heh, As much as I like Gizmodo and Engadget, the average person is more likely to read Time or the paper.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I agree. It's gonna take a lot of effort and more than a bit of luck to break Apple's hold. I think it can be done, provided enough newspapers and magazines get into it. Heh, As much as I like Gizmodo and Engadget, the average person is more likely to read Time or the paper.

My mom who can't use a computer knows about the fucking iPad. This is bad.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited February 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »

My mom who can't use a computer knows about the fucking iPad. This is bad.

I'm telling you, this was on frigg'n npr. You know what was mentioned from CES? Crappy 3d televisions.

taeric on
  • sterling3763sterling3763 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there a video of the U1 Hybrid actually surfing the net or using a program (like say the Kindle for PC)? I know it has those four apps (movies, music, photos and books?) , but I'm really interested in what the tablet/slate performance is like.

sterling3763 on
    edited February 2010
    taeric wrote: »
    [I'm telling you, this was on frigg'n npr. You know what was mentioned from CES? Crappy 3d televisions.

Heh, but that can turn on Apple. Think what your mom or grandparents, or anyone who's not tech savy will do with a iPad. They're going to try to treat it like a computer. I imagine the Apple is going to have a rash of customer service calls about, "What is that blue box? I can't watch video!" and "Why can't I browse the internet and type up a paper?"

Of course, I could be wrong...

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I want the Courier. I read an interview a few days ago with... was it Robbie Bach?... from CES and it sounded like he shrugged off the device. He said something along the lines of, "Yeah, we throw a lot of concept videos around at Microsoft. The Courier video you saw was one such video. Doesn't really exist yet." I wanted him to say that yes, they're working on it, and yes, you'll be able to get one this year, and yes, it really will kick that much ass. It just seems so damn useful, and while I'm usually looking at technology that will improve my home life or advance gaming, those concept videos actually make me excited about work. Pretty crazy. I'm just imagining how awesome an entire department with those things could be, document-sharing and easily bringing their work home in a compact, organized device. Plus, I love the whole two-pages idea, and I'd be genuinely excited to pull it out at a coffee shop or something and look over my work. I can see teachers using it for grading, too, which seems nifty.

It's fair to say that I'll be pretty furious if it doesn't come out.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    edited February 2010
    It...It doesn't exist? *shakes fists in fury* BAAAAAAAAAACH!!!!!

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I feel like all slates have a problem with text content generation. a stylus is novel but so slow compared to typing... has anyone worked out a good touch/multitouch keyboard that you can type with two hands comfortably and quickly?

if the Courier was real I would still buy it in a heartbeat though...

Xantus on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It...It doesn't exist? *shakes fists in fury* BAAAAAAAAAACH!!!!!

bu..but the Codex!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049_U-0C9qU

And I still contend that writing with a stylus is much faster than any virtual keyboard will be. Heck, even using the exact same virtual keyboard, I find it much faster, not to mention an order of magnitude more accurate, to use a stylus instead of a finger.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    See, that thing, made slimmer, totally appeals to me thinking "the future is here".

It also looks marketable - a direct replacement for people carrying appointment books.

electricitylikesme on
    edited February 2010
    Xantus wrote: »
    I feel like all slates have a problem with text content generation. a stylus is novel but so slow compared to typing... has anyone worked out a good touch/multitouch keyboard that you can type with two hands comfortably and quickly?

I like writing vs keyboard for notes when it comes to class.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
    edited February 2010

Have you seen the product that is basically a pen with a microphone on it? Lets you take notes, and can replay what you were hearing as you were taking a note. So, you could be drawing the equation/diagram, and come back later to catch up on what was said about it.

Edit: Basically, I could see something like that being interesting to implement on a slate.

taeric on
    edited February 2010
    taeric wrote: »

Have you seen the product that is basically a pen with a microphone on it? Lets you take notes, and can replay what you were hearing as you were taking a note. So, you could be drawing the equation/diagram, and come back later to catch up on what was said about it.

Edit: Basically, I could see something like that being interesting to implement on a slate.
    I know that Onenote allows you to record audio as you write, don't know if it syncs it though

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    See the only class I ever used my tablet PC for was maths. It was astoundingly good at that though.

electricitylikesme on
  • klokklok Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That modbook looks pretty amazing but $1700 pricetag added to the fact it only seems to be available on it's site till march 31st has me a little skeptic.

klok on
    edited February 2010
    See the only class I ever used my tablet PC for was maths. It was astoundingly good at that though.

I don't know, I can type reasonably quickly, but even for my econ classes and stuff I still found it a lot easier, and more importantly more organized, to just try to write the stuff down that trying to type everything up. Of course, that could just be that I need more efficient typing notetaking skills

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    Also depending on price oh my god I would buy the fuck out of the Notion Ink Adam.

electricitylikesme on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I'm still hanging fire till I see what Microsoft's Courier can do.

Okay, that's more like what I'd think these could be used for. Looks pretty damn cool.
    I like the Courier idea too. You know, it looks like someone saying, "This is a new type of device and it needs its own UI metaphores and whatnot." The exact thing you'd think Apple would do. But they didn't. Instead they went, "This is a brand new type of device.... and we're going to throw a phone OS on it because its kinda similar, and we've already got a big app base there." The exact same reason you'd want a real OS. The exact same reason tablet PCs have failed miserably all these years too though.

DigDug2000 on
    edited February 2010
    Except tablet PCs do have programs designed for the paradigm: Onenote, which if you add some of the powertoy extensions is basically 95% of what the courier does. And Microsoft has been adding more tablet features with each new OS, especially with all the stuff from surface in win7. The problem isn't really software, it's marketing (which is what Apple always nails), and to a lesser extent price. Most of the people who tried mine at school were at least a little interested once they got to play around with it.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    Also depending on price oh my god I would buy the fuck out of the Notion Ink Adam.

Suppose to be 500-700 price range. I am still surprised there is no release date or official price yet though.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Except tablet PCs do have programs designed for the paradigm: Onenote, which if you add some of the powertoy extensions is basically 95% of what the courier does. And Microsoft has been adding more tablet features with each new OS, especially with all the stuff from surface in win7. The problem isn't really software, it's marketing (which is what Apple always nails), and to a lesser extent price. Most of the people who tried mine at school were at least a little interested once they got to play around with it.

Onenote is pure awesome.

I don't know if it was here or on Wikipedia, but I seem to recall reading that Courier was basically based around Onenote redesigned for the dual-screen format.

I just hope that by the time I enter university either Courier or a slate with a portable detachable keyboard and 8+ hours battery life exists, and doesn't cost $HUGE.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    How about that ExoPC that has been on Engadget in the past week or so?

Man, I'm itching to buy the Archos 9, but I have Best Buy gift cards and they carry some of the Viliv 7s...there are so many /about/ to come out, around the same price point. I guess I can hold off for a little while. Advantages and disadvantages to all of them. I really want to see one with the design of the A9, with a newer Atom, Ion, a GPS, and maybe a slide-out/convertible keyboard. I guess dual-mode E-Ink would be nice, too.

RandomHajile on
  • HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, I'm itching to buy the Archos 9, but I have Best Buy gift cards and they carry some of the Viliv 7s....

Do what I did. Go to umpcportal.com, read the Viliv forums and find out that noone can reach them via phone, fax or email - including their US distributors - and decide to spend your money on a machine from a company who might actually honor their warranty.

Houndx on
    edited February 2010
    For those eying the NotionInk Adam new info is out.

iPad Comparison Chart:
    Specs-AdamvsiPad.jpg

Go here for more hands-on photos; it's changed a bit since we last saw it.

I was pretty excited about the iPad, but if this delivers the same reliable touch interface, but with better battery life, ports and flash, they've probably got my cash.

sterling3763 on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That comparison chart is awful, it leaves out a lot of important details regarding the iPad.

Price range, dongles, etc.

Impersonator on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The price range is second from the bottom.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited February 2010
    It neglects to mention the price range 499-699, the GPS and the accelerometer for the iPad. Don't think it's unfair not to include peripherals in the comparison.

sterling3763 on
    edited February 2010
    I was referring to the ports, it lists them as 'extra', which is a bit too vague.

Impersonator on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The one thing that all these tablets lack are keyboards.

I mean shit, I know they are tablets. But just think if you could get a little keyboard attachment that held the screen at an angle and (maybe) had a battery to extend the life I can see them really taking off.

I mean these are great for on the go, sit down at the park type devices

That makes them rich people devices.

If you had the attachment you could use them for actual word processing which would suddenly make them accesable to students. Because you could take high speed notes with them. Your mum could type a long winded email about how you are ignoring her.

Personally, for me, while I love the idea of tablets. I love the idea of having a laptop that whenever I want, I can rip the screen off and mess around with it far far more.

Blake T on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Blaket wrote: »

I mean shit, I know they are tablets. But just think if you could get a little keyboard attachment that held the screen at an angle and (maybe) had a battery to extend the life I can see them really taking off.

If you had the attachment you could use them for actual word processing which would suddenly make them accesable to students. Because you could take high speed notes with them. Your mum could type a long winded email about how you are ignoring her.

Personally, for me, while I love the idea of tablets. I love the idea of having a laptop that whenever I want, I can rip the screen off and mess around with it far far more.

Have you seen this? I heard several negative things about it but it still seems like what you're describing.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I had not, but yes, I would like it to be like that. But I don't know, well reviewed?

Blake T on
    edited February 2010
    Isn't there a Lenovo netbook in the works that does exactly that?

edit: Found it, Lenovo Ideapad U1 Hybrid.

It's a really good idea, but the performance is a deal breaker for me.

Impersonator on
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

keyboard_dock_1_20100127.jpg?

BladeX on
  • alarenalaren Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I started a separate thread and was referred here, but more info has emerged about the Adam.

http://notionink.in/index.php

There's a video, too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPowc1yM0NQ

I was disappointed by the iPad. But if this can deliver on its promise, I may have to get one.

alaren on
    edited February 2010
    BladeX wrote: »

keyboard_dock_1_20100127.jpg?

I know it's available, but eh.....

That really is an afterthought, it A) looks atrocious and B) really something more like a clamshell attachment would be fantastic.

That keyboard is more to make it function at a desktop rather than to pop it on your lap and actually use it as a laptop/netbook. And there is a lot more functionality you could put into it. You could stick another battery under the keyboard. Or give it bluetooth support and seperate out the screen and put it in a more accessible height. Or shit with the ipad stick some USB ports in there so you have more than zero.

Blake T on
    edited February 2010
    The Adam really does look interesting, I am very curious to see the official launch.

Blake T on
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Houndx wrote: »
    Man, I'm itching to buy the Archos 9, but I have Best Buy gift cards and they carry some of the Viliv 7s....

Do what I did. Go to umpcportal.com, read the Viliv forums and find out that noone can reach them via phone, fax or email - including their US distributors - and decide to spend your money on a machine from a company who might actually honor their warranty.

Yeah, I'm not surprised. Actually, the Archos 5 with Android is on my radar. I don't know. Just wanting to spend this gift card on something before the wife decides we need a new microwave or what-have-you.

RandomHajile on
    edited February 2010
    I saw some videos of the Archos 9 and its performance in regards to fullscreen Flash is atrocious.

Impersonator on
  • AstrocookieAstrocookie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    You know I used to think the iPad was useless.

But then, I realized any tablet no matter how good is probably not going to replace a laptop for any "serious business" work I do on a daily basis anyway.

Which made me wonder, what the hell do I want a tablet for anyway?

Browsing the internet, maybe playing some games, reading a file... etc.

Also, why do people want Flash so badly? 90% of crashes on my browser are due to flash. Flash is sh!t !!

And how would a traditional Flash program even WORK on an interface designed for touching?

Astrocookie on