As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The other slates that no one seems to care about thread.

• MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    However, when in this day and age it is possible to access your own personal stored media from anywhere you have internet access, and wifi is fast enough to stream even hd content at the rate at which you can view it, I don't have any desire to have that opening in what is an otherwise seamless device.

if it were possible (and it is, using charge pads) my "perfect tablet" would not even have a power port, there is just no need.

That's what I'm saying. It's not that USB has no use whatsoever, but I feel it's unnecessary to have in a device today, and growing more unnecessary with each passing year.

Spoilt: you're right, wifi isn't ubitiquous, especially when traveling. but when traveling, you don't really need access to your entire library of video either. Most people are perfectly fine filling their iPod or iPad with a few movies for the plane and then deleting them after the trip is done. We'll have to agree to disagree, but I feel like being more concerned with the hypothetical rare situation when USB is absolutely necessary is going to steer people away from buying devices that fit their actual needs, and instead going for which has the best spec sheet. If the mass market adopts tablets based on spec comparisons alone, the market is doomed to fail.

Monoxide on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm just saying that the main time that removable media would be useful for the extra space would be when travelling, since if you're at home, it'd be a lot easier to move stuff around freely. And I've already said earlier in the thread how it's pretty clear that my definition of Tablets is pretty clearly different from this new portable internet/media consumption device. But then again, I also say that one of the main reasons Tablet PCs (TM) didn't catch on was a lack of will to publicize them by both Microsoft and the companies who manufactured them, not a lack of a market.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm just saying that the main time that removable media would be useful for the extra space would be when travelling, since if you're at home, it'd be a lot easier to move stuff around freely. And I've already said earlier in the thread how it's pretty clear that my definition of Tablets is pretty clearly different from this new portable internet/media consumption device. But then again, I also say that one of the main reasons Tablet PCs (TM) didn't catch on was a lack of will to publicize them by both Microsoft and the companies who manufactured them, not a lack of a market.

They still make Tablet PCs actually :P. You have to give up screen contrast, size, and resolution compared to a normal laptop though. I've had to use some for work, and the experience is pretty poor because Windows is not touch-friendly, even with a stylus pen.

I think integrated SD card slots would be a big boost for these early slates - at least until flash prices drop some more. Apple charging $29 for a dock-SD adapter is criminal.

a5ehren on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    eee Pad.

Core 2 CULV, Windows 7, 10 hour battery life, detachable keyboard. If it had a stylus I'd be all over it.

Wonder if they'll switch Core 2 for those new i5/i3 CULVs that are supposed to be coming out, too. HP's Touchsmart (not a slate, but still :P) is getting a refresh with those, so it'd only make sense; then again it doesn't look like they're going the Tablet PC route with this.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I saw a YouTube vid of the smaller Asus using WCE7 for it's OS. Man, the UI is ugly. It's essentially three screens. Swipe to the left screen, and you see your widgets which look like they were ripped straight from the Windows Sidebar (who uses that? and man, is it ugly). Swipe to the right screen, and it's filled with app icons, a-la Apple's iCluttered UI.

I don't see why they couldn't use Metro, or something like it, for the look.

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5a3Mciw_Uk

Nightslyr on
    edited June 2010
    That's not the standard UI for Windows 7 Compact Embedded. It actually looks a lot more like Windows Phone 7.

though, if you dislike the row-of-icons UI, I'm sure you won't be much more impressed with the enormous social timeline taking up half of your homescreen. at least app icons are functional.

Monoxide on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    That's not the standard UI for Windows 7 Compact Embedded. It actually looks a lot more like Windows Phone 7.

though, if you dislike the row-of-icons UI, I'm sure you won't be much more impressed with the enormous social timeline taking up half of your homescreen. at least app icons are functional.

It's better, but yeah, the social timeline is dumb. At least, at that size.

Nightslyr on
    edited June 2010
    Nightslyr wrote: »

It's better, but yeah, the social timeline is dumb. At least, at that size.

They did say it isn't actually going to be released, though.

From that link:
    ...we want to break the news to you that this UI was created just to show off the capabilities of the new CE platform -- there's no plan to bring it to market as is on Microsoft's end at the moment.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Right, I just wanted to point out that Asus's implementation is of their own doing

so if you don't like their UI, maybe another manufacturer will put out a better one

Monoxide on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They need to just use the Windows Phone OS on one of these mico tablets.

Dark Shroud on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Really need to see an actual device launch with a Pixel Qi screen. They looks AMAZING, but I want to see one personally.

Props to MSI as well for giving Win7 2GB of RAM instead of the standard 1 that I've seen in a LOT of tablets..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I am still looking around for a digital-art friendly tablet pc, preferably a slate (the flexing hinge has the look of low lifespan tech to me). From what I've found, people are still recommending the motion LE1700 from a
    couple years back. Are there any new slates with wacom digitizer stylus support and pressure sensitivity? Or is the slate doomed to browsing and media usage because that is by far the larger market?

Evil Multifarious on
    edited June 2010
    So I am still looking around for a digital-art friendly tablet pc, preferably a slate (the flexing hinge has the look of low lifespan tech to me). From what I've found, people are still recommending the motion LE1700 from a
    couple years back. Are there any new slates with wacom digitizer stylus support and pressure sensitivity? Or is the slate doomed to browsing and media usage because that is by far the larger market?

Most of the new slates on the market use capacitive touch screens, which won't work with Wacom digitizer styluses. You're probably going to have to find one with a resistive touch screen that runs a full OS to get what you want out of it, and I'm not sure which manufacturers are going that route.

Monoxide on
    edited June 2010
    I've found a number of LE1600 and 1700 slates on eBay for 300 or 700 respectively. They seem to be what I want. I am just concerned that if I nab one I'll regret it when a fancy new art slate comes out that would justify spending more for better performance.

From the sound of it, as you said, most tablets seem to run a low end specialized OS for portable media/browsing/scheduling etc. So maybe I shouldn't worry.

Evil Multifarious on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys, is there a tablet/MID other than the iPad that uses Micro-SIMs?

Impersonator on
    edited June 2010

Most of the new slates on the market use capacitive touch screens, which won't work with Wacom digitizer styluses. You're probably going to have to find one with a resistive touch screen that runs a full OS to get what you want out of it, and I'm not sure which manufacturers are going that route.

What? The only Tablet PCs I can think of that don't use wacom screens/stylii are those weird pen and touch combined ones. And even those are starting to use wacom now, like the HP TM2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Hey guys, is there a tablet/MID other than the iPad that uses Micro-SIMs?

Anyone?

Impersonator on
    edited June 2010
    Dell Streak does, I think.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    I just checked Dell's website and see no mention of it. :( Where did you read that?

Impersonator on
    edited June 2010
    Oops, sorry; think I must have mixed a few things up. I could've sworn I saw someone on Twitter mentioning using micro SIMs with it, but the Engadget review shows it using a normal SIM. My bad :(

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010

What? The only Tablet PCs I can think of that don't use wacom screens/stylii are those weird pen and touch combined ones. And even those are starting to use wacom now, like the HP TM2

The only slates I can think of that don't use wacom screens and styluses are...all of them.

Notice he said he wants a slate, not a folding clamshell style TabletPC. And I specifically said the new slates on the market, ie, the ones that we've been talking about in this thread. The Notion Ink Adam, the Asus EEE tablet, the Dell Streak, the (now defunct) HP Slate, the Samsung Galaxy, etc, all use capacitive multitouch screens.

I think one or two manufacturers were putting out resistive pads that or may not have wacom support, but I can't remember which they were off the top of my head.

Monoxide on
    edited June 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Oops, sorry; think I must have mixed a few things up. I could've sworn I saw someone on Twitter mentioning using micro SIMs with it, but the Engadget review shows it using a normal SIM. My bad :(

Aw, so it appears that there's no other tablet using Micro-SIM at the moment that isn't made by Apple?

I'm asking this because my carrier has Micro-SIMs with a 30€/mo plan for 1yr thanks to all the early adopters for the iPad, even though it hasn't launched (Portugal) and it costs close 1000€ to get one. Note that 1000€ is something like $1200. Crazy, I know.

Impersonator on
    edited June 2010
    I ended up buying a used Motion LE1600 on eBay. Should be here by Friday or early next week.

if anyone wants to try a slate for art purposes, apparently these are pretty good, and they're definitely cheap - this one came ot 473 CAD after shipping, taxes, etc.

A shame that they're discontinued and slates with real Wacom-level stylus support are already dying out.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited June 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »

Aw, so it appears that there's no other tablet using Micro-SIM at the moment that isn't made by Apple?

I'm asking this because my carrier has Micro-SIMs with a 30€/mo plan for 1yr thanks to all the early adopters for the iPad, even though it hasn't launched (Portugal) and it costs close 1000€ to get one. Note that 1000€ is something like $1200. Crazy, I know.

You could look for a micro to normal SIM adapter and grab a different tablet, I guess :lol:. Then you'd get the best of both worlds: ability to use a tablet now, and switch to future ones that use micro-SIMs.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    I've never tried one of those, are they any good?

Impersonator on
    edited June 2010
    Well, you can make your own microSIM by just cutting it (either by yourself or using one of these), so it should work out pretty well. I haven't tried it, though; haven't had the need to.

You can even DIY your own adapter, if you wanted.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Oh, that seems fairly easy! Thanks for the help, I can't wait to get a hold of a tablet. :D

Impersonator on
    edited June 2010

The only slates I can think of that don't use wacom screens and styluses are...all of them.

Notice he said he wants a slate, not a folding clamshell style TabletPC. And I specifically said the new slates on the market, ie, the ones that we've been talking about in this thread. The Notion Ink Adam, the Asus EEE tablet, the Dell Streak, the (now defunct) HP Slate, the Samsung Galaxy, etc, all use capacitive multitouch screens.

I think one or two manufacturers were putting out resistive pads that or may not have wacom support, but I can't remember which they were off the top of my head.
    Slates as a type of Tablet PC have existed for years before all this MID tablet crap. And he also specifically mentioned tablet PCs, including specifically saying that he was looking at a motion one, which are tablet PCs, and not a "slate".

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    the motion LE tablets are slates
    Motion_LE1600_3.jpg

are they not?

Evil Multifarious on
    edited June 2010
    Yes, a Tablet PC Slate, not the MID slates that monoxide (and all those stupid tech blogs) are talking about

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

I would rather we get stuff transferring over WiFi or Bluetooth to these devices and eschew the cables altogether. Also, it would be great if print companies could come up with some sort of agreed upon standard that is 802.11 based, and let every device be accessed EXACTLY the same... like the printer sends an XML file over wireless that says "these are my capabilities," and the host device can simply set up the print dialog to match those capabilities, which are all spoken to in the exact same language, whether dell, hp, lexmark or whomever.

That would fix the whole mobile printing fiasco.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2010
    Just sent an e-mail to Notion Ink, asking about availability and price in Europe. I really hope I can buy/try it in a physical store, it just seems like such a fantastic product. There's absolutely nothing I don't like about it.

Impersonator on
    edited June 2010
    Natheo wrote: »

I would rather we get stuff transferring over WiFi or Bluetooth to these devices and eschew the cables altogether. Also, it would be great if print companies could come up with some sort of agreed upon standard that is 802.11 based, and let every device be accessed EXACTLY the same... like the printer sends an XML file over wireless that says "these are my capabilities," and the host device can simply set up the print dialog to match those capabilities, which are all spoken to in the exact same language, whether dell, hp, lexmark or whomever.

Isn't that essentially what Google is working on?

Monoxide on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2010

I don't care who does it; so long as all the hardware manufacturers fall into place, every mobile and desktop platform will join in IMMEDIATELY. This shit has been going on for too long, there needs t be a better way.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited June 2010

I don't care who does it; so long as all the hardware manufacturers fall into place, every mobile and desktop platform will join in IMMEDIATELY. This shit has been going on for too long, there needs t be a better way.

I really don't think every mobile and desktop platform will join in immediately. Printer companies have years of political bullshit and general corporate apathy reinforcing the lack of innovation on their ridiculous fucking devices, and it's come to a point where a consumer printer is just a piece of shit they throw in to help sell a laptop or a digital camera. There's absolutely zero reason that printers should be as horrible as they are, but margins on decade-old technology are high enough that they can sell them at hundreds below MSRP and still turn a huge profit.

Personally, I think we'll reaching a point where printing will be the thing you do at work or at the FedEx-Kinkos down the street when you need something, because actually owning a printer is becoming largely unnecessary for the majority of people.

Monoxide on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a house with 3 twenty something year olds who are all "extremely knowledgeable" when it comes to tech. we own 2 printers, but yeah they suck and are not hooked up.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a house with 3 twenty something year olds who are all "extremely knowledgeable" when it comes to tech. we own 2 printers, but yeah they suck and are not hooked up.

Not that hard bro.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seriously other then my wife who prints to hit some hoarder milestone, who else prints?

Outside of work where i kill a forest a day , I haven't printed in years.

useless4 on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2010
    useless4 wrote: »
    Seriously other then my wife who prints to hit some hoarder milestone, who else prints?

Outside of work where i kill a forest a day , I haven't printed in years.

I have a printer for the fiancé, not for me... I never ever print anything.

Well, I do SCAN stuff, so I guess I use the device; just not as a printer.

With the iPad, I see myself printing even less.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...