As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Insurance Coverage Question (Canada)

bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
edited January 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have an optometrist bill. I am covered under two different insurance plans. Both do not cover the full price of the exam, but combined they would. Can I only claim the bill on one plan? I have no idea who would be the people to even ask about this or if it's even legal.

bombardier on

• ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In America and i have dual coverage for my dental insurance. 1 is mine, and 1 is from my wife. Similar situation, where coverage is not full from either. However they do combine to pay the entire bill when i have any work done.

The nice people at the dentist office take care of everything for me in that regards. They have both my insurance carriers and they bill 1 then the second for the remainder. I would imagine it works the same way for you.

Canada may be different, but i would bet that the nice people at your optometrist would let you know how it works.

Thundyrkatz on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    Well that is encouraging.

The optometrist doesn't do direct billing (yet), but I have to go back today to pick up an eye report and maybe pick out glasses too so I'll find out then.

bombardier on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It may depend on your carriers, but I know that any insurer I've had has been very clear that I cannot claim it with them if I am claiming it with anyone else.

Also, if your medical (or dental, 2 separate categories) bills amount to somewhere around $5000 or more in a given tax year you can claim them on your tax return.....but you can't count what your insurer pays towards that $5000, only what comes out of your pocket.

Dman on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    It looks like my employer's carrier allows me to fill in a co-dependant's insurance info to cover additional costs above what they pay for. So I've answered my own question! Thanks for the input though, guys.

bombardier on
This discussion has been closed.