As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

'Vanquish' By Shinji Mikami - Oh Hey It's Out!

toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
OCT 26 UPDATE

This puppy is out, everywhere, worldwide! Run, don't walk!

Some reviews, if that's your thing:

US Demo: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450841/?of=1

Rest of the World: Sept 1 / 2
LONDON AND SAN FRANCISCO (August 23rd, 2010) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that the demo for VANQUISH will be available exclusively for download from Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, and PlayStation® Store for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system in North America on 31st August, across Europe on 1st September and Australia on 2nd September.

The VANQUISH Official Demo: Velocity Attack, allows players to choose one level from the two levels of difficulty (Casual or Normal) available. Taking on the role of Sam, a United States government agent kitted out with a futuristic ARS battle suit, players are vying for ownership of the planet’s remaining energy resources against Russia on board a huge space station. On entering the third port lobby of the space station, numerous enemy robots are being brought in by dropships. Players have an array of weaponry and upgrades at their disposal, as well as the ability to hijack “Walkers”, or use the suits unique Boost and AR mode to take down the robots. The demo climaxes with the formidable boss, Argus which you will need to use all your skills acquired throughout the demo to defeat.

VANQUISH is the hottest title Shinji Mikami has worked on in over 4 years, achieving high tension throughout the game and delivering a new sense of game merged shooting and action in a finely balanced manner. The game is set for release across North America on 19th October, Australia on 21st of October and across Europe on October 22nd 2010 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

E3 Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrJmtgy0AOg

1UP wrote:
The fourth of the four announced titles from Platinum Games in partnership with Sega has finally been revealed, this time from Shinji Mikami, creator of Resident Evil. Thanks to Gametrailers, the first teaser trailer for Vanquish (which we first heard about via a leaked Sega document last year) has hit the web. The shooter is said to be coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 later this year.

Reveal Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-debut-vanquish/61349

OTP.jpg
toxk_02 on

• Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hope it has more melee than shooting. I doubt it though. Maybe it'll have exploding dancing attack moves.

ze swift class on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I certainly hope this isn't an attempt at a Serious Space Machine shooter, considering the suit is Halo Spartan Armor + Dead Space's Marine Suit. Definitely not a good first step if that were the case.

Edit: I mean, it's just not a good step trying to start a new original IP when the main character is in a suit that similar to the two mentioned.

Edit 2: Actually watched the trailer. Not bad a setting, I suppose. I'll wait for gameplay details.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I hope it has more melee than shooting. I doubt it though. Maybe it'll have exploding dancing attack moves.

Well if it’s a shooter I don’t imagine there will be that much melee.

Beyond that, I don’t really have much to say. I like what I’ve seen from Platinum games so far, so I’m not exactly worried.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well that's a pretty fuck-awesome trailer, I can only hope that music shows up in the actual game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mikami's name attached to it means I am very interested.

LewieP on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    HO

LEE

SHIT

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Looks generic, but I'm interested just because of the names associated with it. These are folks who have surprised me in the past.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll wait till they show the gameplay at least.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    WillybubbaWillybubba Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That trailer really kinda looks like Shadow Complex in true 3D.

Willybubba on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Mikami's name attached to it means I am very interested.

Pretty much this. When I heard he had a mystery project in the works I was wondering what it could be. There isn't much to go on obviously, but colour me excited.

And I like the the cut of Platnium Game's jib.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Why, yes, I do believe this will be worth looking out for.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I choose to be cautiously optimistic.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Looks like Tony Stark is taking on the Restoration to me.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Really wish we could get away from CG trailers.

I mean, it looks cool, but that's just a cutscene. Can't really get excited about that.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The game will HAVE to be something special to make up for "enemy forces caused widespread destruction and suffering".

(Those enemies look pretty boring, but yeah, there's not much to go on here.)

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used to love pre-rendered trailers but nowadays, they're so common and misleading that they're just boring. Square Enix and Ubisoft are the main culprits but that doesn't stop Sony, EA, Microsoft, Sega and a few others from pulling the same rubbish.

I'll be keeping an eye out for this though. Hopefully it's not as ridiculous as Mad World or Bayonetta.

Oh and I loved the prank GAF pulled on Kotaku. Someone there photoshopped the credits screen from the trailer and added 360 and GFW logos, then Kotaku reported it as a 360/PC game. Almost as good as the Metal Gear Solid Triology 360 exclusive.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Looks like an awesome mix of P.N.03 and Shadow Complex. Cannot wait.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Needs more ass shaking.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That video really doesn't tell us anything about the gameplay. But it's from Platinum, so I'm very interested in their take on this genre.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This guy directed Resident 4 and he's working with the people who made Bayonetta.

He has my money.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Hopefully it's more ridiculous than Mad World or Bayonetta.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »

Hopefully it's more ridiculous than Mad World or Bayonetta.

My head would probably explode.

I would still want to play it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    This guy directed Resident 4 and he's working with the people who made Bayonetta.

He has my money.

Uh, Mikami's been working at Platinum Games from the beginning and there's no way the Bayonetta team are working on this (since I doubt Mikami's been sitting on his ass the last couple of years).

Besides, who cares about RE4, Mikami directed REmake.

Xagarath: If Platinum have any intention of not going out of business, I really think they need to stop sliding down into madness. Suda 51 can be a silly goose because his company and his budgets are small. Platinum Games, on the other hand, seem to have grown quite large incredibly quickly and are working on HD games.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7 and Resident Evil 4.

The man has one of the best gaming CVs out there.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

he's definitely got my vote of confidence. the trailer itself does seem extremely generic though. I just wish they'd redesign the armor to make it more distinct. anything to make it look less like a spartan.

Guek on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »

He has my money.

Uh, Mikami's been working at Platinum Games from the beginning and there's no way the Bayonetta team are working on this (since I doubt Mikami's been sitting on his ass the last couple of years).

Besides, who cares about RE4, Mikami directed REmake.

Xagarath: If Platinum have any intention of not going out of business, I really think they need to stop sliding down into madness. Suda 51 can be a silly goose because his company and his budgets are small. Platinum Games, on the other hand, seem to have grown quite large incredibly quickly and are working on HD games.

I know that...what I am saying is that since it is coming from the same company I would expect it to have the same quality.

Don't think it is that difficult.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Man, really not sure about this. So far it just looks really generic.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Guek wrote: »

he's definitely got my vote of confidence. the trailer itself does seem extremely generic though. I just wish they'd redesign the armor to make it more distinct. anything to make it look less like a spartan.

I like how the visor slides over the MOUTH, rather than the eyes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Since the StarCraft 2 trailer everyone's been doing the thing where a guy stands in the middle of a room and has stuff assembled all over him by machines. It's getting really boring.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Guek wrote: »

I like how the visor slides over the MOUTH, rather than the eyes.

Yeah, that should really allow him a better view out of his mouth.

That said, I really liked the trailer and thought it was rather badass, though I'd also like to see some gameplay footage.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I haven't played a straight up shooter since Call of Duty 4. I would not mind at all if this were just a very competent shooter without any particular amazingness. But Platinum Games generally does produce amazingness so I am pretty happy about this.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Shh, don't kill my confidence in this game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Welp, we've seen Platinum Games's take on 3rd person action, and brawling. I've enjoyed the shit out of both of them so far. I haven't tried Infinite Space, yet, but I'm thinking I should get around to it.

So far it looks pretty generic, but it remains to be seen whether it'll be fun, and fun, to me, is a bit more important in my games than having a strikingly original setting. Especially in a shooter.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Mikami didn't even direct Viewtiful Joe or Killer 7 anyway. If you're going to credit them to him you may as well credit RE Gaiden and RE Zero to him as well.

Kamiya > Mikami

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MOUTHVISOR

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    why is ign reporting this as exclusively on wii? o_O

that's gotta be a mistake...there's no way.

edit: oh ok. nvm. it's labeled as exclusives for all three consoles. must just all be placeholders until official platforms are announced. that said, no chance this thing lands on wii

Guek on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Mikami didn't even direct Viewtiful Joe or Killer 7 anyway. If you're going to credit them to him you may as well credit RE Gaiden and RE Zero to him as well.

Kamiya > Mikami
    Wait, so producer doesn't count? I can't speak for RE Gaiden or RE Zero (don't know if he had any involvement in those), but he was producer on all the other ones. No one's saying he personally made all those games, but it's impossible to deny that any game he touches tends to turn to gaming gold.

He also produced Phoenix Wright.

Seriously. Mikami's gaming CV > anyone's.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »

Kamiya > Mikami
    Wait, so producer doesn't count? I can't speak for RE Gaiden or RE Zero (don't know if he had any involvement in those), but he was producer on all the other ones. No one's saying he personally made all those games, but it's impossible to deny that any game he touches tends to turn to gaming gold.

He also produced Phoenix Wright.

Seriously. Mikami's gaming CV > anyone's.

o_O If you consider Dino Crisis 3, RE Gaiden, RE Zero, PN03, Killer7, RE3 or RE Code Veronica 'gaming gold', I worry for your sanity. Not that all those games are terrible (Killer7 and RE3 were decent, just not 'gaming gold') but some of them are terrible (Dino Crisis 3 in particular).

And no, I don't give much credit to producers, especially executive producers (which is what Mikami did on most of the games mentioned, including Phoenix Wright). They don't generally do a hell of a lot, which is why Mikami could executive produce so many games while directing his own titles.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Et tu, Mikami?

I'm getting a bit tired of space marines (says the guy having a blast with Mass Effect 2 right now), But I have faith in Mikami so I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Code: Veronica is absolutely gaming gold

UnbreakableVow on