As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, January 29, 2010

1235»

• Options
    TenTen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    Doesn't, like, Youtube use flash?

Not for long. They'll probably end up sending HTML5 video to people with newer browsers, and Flash or Silverlight to everyone else.

You can already get HTML5 video from Youtube on supported browsers if you sign up for their beta program. Works pretty well.

Ten on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Yes, and all of those applications are Apple approved. Apple has control over them, Apple got money for every app on there, and they make money off of every app they sell. It is a huge business for them, and they want to make sure they're the only vendor.

Do you really think they're blocking iPad users from putting Flash on their own machine, themselves because Apple is concerned about Flash making them look bad? The 'missing plug-in' icon looks just as bad.

It's an issue of control. We've already seen some of this in the form of the Google Voice app.

I don't disagree that Apple enjoys their iron fist control for many reasons, but I really don't think this is one of them. If it was about limiting rich web apps, Apple wouldn't be working constantly to make Safari as standards compliant and modern as possible, including HTML 5 support, which will likely replace flash for a ton of stuff. I mean, the stuff on this web page runs on mobile Safari: http://www.benjoffe.com/code/

If you think that's not enough to build rich web apps and games comparable to those in Flash, I'm not sure what to tell you. It's a hell of a lot easier on my processor than Flash is too.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    I wonder how hard it would be to develop an app that simulates flash

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I wonder how hard it would be to develop an app that simulates flash

There are two solutions here.

This one involves sending the iPhone a javascript-based Flash emulator along with the web page, but is, I would imagine, slow as hell.
    Demos of this in action: http://paulirish.com/work/gordon/demos/

You can also run Flash AS an app. You make your game or whatever, then using Adobe CS5 and an active Apple ADC account, you can wrap up your SWF, associated files, and a Flash runtime in an an iPhone app and submit it to the app store.
    See here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashcs5/appsfor_iphone/

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    ACTION JAREDACTION JARED Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    would it be impossible to develop a flash-based web browser? Beyond animation I have no idea how flash works. Then you could have a browser that could display flash, since it's already a flash application

ACTION JARED on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2010
    I think it's funny that people talk about Apple products being super user friendly. If I buy a 30 pound bullshit MP3 player I can drag my MP3 files onto it and play them from it in under a minute. If I borrow a friend's iPod I can't put anything on it without wiping it first. That is not a good product.

Tube on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think it's funny that people talk about Apple products being super user friendly. If I buy a 30 pound bullshit MP3 player I can drag my MP3 files onto it and play them from it in under a minute. If I borrow a friend's iPod I can't put anything on it without wiping it first. That is not a good product.

Man, that would be an incredibly heavy and unwieldy MP3 player. You'd be better off with a personal phonograph.

Brolo on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rolo wrote: »

Man, that would be an incredibly heavy and unwieldy MP3 player. You'd be better off with a personal phonograph.

I think he does mean a phonograph
    The salesman just told him it was an MP3 player

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited February 2010

All you have to do is uncheck the "Sync Music" checkbox and you can drag songs on to and delete songs off of the iPod. You still have to use iTunes to do it though.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2010
    well then

Tube on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I was wrong, clearing that "Sync Music" box asks you to wipe the iPod. The real box that lets you manually manage music and videos is called "Manually manage music and videos" and is even easier to find. It's right there when you click any device in the side bar.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    new infraction for Donkey Kong

Causing Tube to Wipe his iPod

Raneados on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Apple = Polish that shit until it shines.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh cool, I did not know that. Now I have iPod access to all those songs I bought, hoorah!

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
This discussion has been closed.