As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Threaded PHP/BB software?

SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
Forum I post on uses old school threaded style. Custom software and the creator abandoned it. Problems are starting to crop up all over, so we're thinking of moving to something else.

Any recommendations?

Sheep on

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Doesnt everyone use phpBB?

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    But it's not threaded.

Unless there's a mod...

Sheep on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't think such a thing exists. I can't really see why it would even be needed as a web based application.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They used to be pretty popular, but with the rise of phpbb and vbulliten, they've all but died out. The only one I can think of is webbbs:

http://tetrabb.com/

or

http://awsd.com/scripts/webbbs/

It's an extremely basic package though, doesn't support mysql or anything.

I wrote my own forum software that had a threaded view because of the lack of options. I haven't maintained it in years though, don't really run forums anymore. It still functions, but the database backend is pretty crappy.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't think such a thing exists. I can't really see why it would even be needed as a web based application.

He doesn't mean threads as in multiple code branches running. He means threaded as in a style of viewing posts, that shows branches in discussions. Like usenet threads or in an email reader.

xzzy on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Threaded works super good for forums with only a dozen or so active members.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What is it 90s all over again? Check out Google Wave.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Google Wave made forums obsolete? I guess no one told the internet about this, because plenty of them still seem to be up and running.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No but if phpBB or vBul isnt enough threading for the OP why not look at Google Wave.

Jubal77 on