As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii- "An error has occurred"

psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys, I've very recently started getting this error when loading up games from disk. Rock Band 2, for instance, sometimes freezes during the intro cinematic, while No More Heroes 2 seems to ALWAYS freeze during the load after the intro on the rooftop. I had never had it before about a month ago. NMH2 is brand-new so the disk is in perfect condition, and RB2 is just fine as well. Any idea what the problems could be? Nintendo's website is totally useless and just says "send in for repairs", which I don't want to do because I've hacked the thing with homebrew and bootmii etc.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
steam_sig.png
psyck0 on

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    psyck0 wrote: »
    which I don't want to do because I've hacked the thing with homebrew and bootmii

That might be the reason that you are having problems.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I recall that a hacked wii reads the discs at a different speed, so when some games had long/complex intros they would freeze and error because the system couldn't load what was happening fast enough.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's been hacked for a year with no problems. Rock Band 2 worked fine for months with no problems. I don't think it's just those 2 games, but I haven't put any others in recently to check.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Just revert the Wii and send it in

seems like the laser has gone bad.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    you could try cleaning the laser head first.

a good number of third-parties sell Wii-specific cleaning discs, iirc.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Note that if the repair technician becomes aware of an unauthorized modification, your console will be sent back unrepaired.

"Error has occurred" will not most likely not be fixed by a lens cleaner. It is different from the other disc read errors.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't totally wipe bootmii and they can still detect that it was on there. I'll try a cleaner. Blowing into the slot like crazy got it to go past the loading freeze, but then it froze suddenly during gameplay. Could it be overheating?

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's been hacked for a year with no problems. Rock Band 2 worked fine for months with no problems. I don't think it's just those 2 games, but I haven't put any others in recently to check.

Have you kept the actual homebrew updated?

Did you ever let it update by itself?

Is it updated to 4.2?
    (Note: Don't let it update to 4.2 automatically. You run a VERY STRONG chance of BRICKING it.)

What region is your Wii? What region are those two games? I'm assuming NTSC-U

Most importantly
    Is this question even allowed here?

Fubear on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I used Waninkoko's updater to get it to 4.2. It hasn't updated itself since 3.2. It was giving me this problem at 4.1, which I had for several months before the problem ever occurred. Same with homebrew.

Of course this question is allowed, I haven't done anything illegal. These are legit games that I purchased, I don't have a modchip.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I used Waninkoko's updater to get it to 4.2. It hasn't updated itself since 3.2. It was giving me this problem at 4.1, which I had for several months before the problem ever occurred. Same with homebrew.

Of course this question is allowed, I haven't done anything illegal. These are legit games that I purchased, I don't have a modchip.

My advice (if everybody else's hasn't worked and you already sent it in to Nintendo and they couldn't fix it)

1) Install USB Loader GX
    2) Format a spare USB hard-drive (or flash drive) to WBFS with the recommended program
    3) There's an option to back-up the disc in the drive
    4) Back-up both discs
    5) Play from USB drive (No More Heroes 2 takes up 3.26 GB*)

* = I have a fully-paid-for copy that I play from the USB drive back-up

Fubear on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, it runs off the loader, I'd just like to fix the disk drive because you can't run DLC on Rock Band 2 when using the loader.

Mine takes 3.46 gb. Odd.

Doesn't sound like anyone is really sure what this is, so I guess it can get locked.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The freezes sound like your drive is going bad. I've had this happen and had to get it replaced. If you're within warranty you might as well uninstall HBC and bootmii and send it in.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How long is warranty? I'm at a year and a half.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1 year plus 90 days if you registered it.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png