edit:

old reel was poo

new reel is new!

http://vimeo.com/14951561

feebsicle on

• Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That is pretty damn awesome. I had a horrible time viewing it though, it kept freezing. I'm not even sure if I saw all of it. I saw some of the monkey and then it froze on a robot.

[EDIT] Yeah it just keeps freezing and freezing. The lack of a navigation bar doesn't help either, so I have no idea when its buffering or not and how to pause or play.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    feebsiclefeebsicle a feebs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jimpy wrote: »
    That is pretty damn awesome. I had a horrible time viewing it though, it kept freezing. I'm not even sure if I saw all of it. I saw some of the monkey and then it froze on a robot.

That sounds problematic.
    Ok, I've added the youtube video. The quality won't be as good but at least you can watch it.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Holy cow. Those animations are absolutely brilliant. I mean honestly what are you asking us for? It seems you are already skilled enough and already have work as is. That is some really great stuff. Ugh I need to lie down.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Jimpy wrote: »
    Holy cow. Those animations are absolutely brilliant. I mean honestly what are you asking us for? It seems you are already skilled enough and already have work as is. That is some really great stuff. Ugh I need to lie down.

I'm actually currently unemployed and there is always room for improvement! Thanks for the nice words though :)

feebsicle on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sheesus, that's some impressive work. I know nothing of 3D to offer anything in the way of critique, except to say that I want one of those furry round things from the sanctuary, and a miniture elephant.

Mustang on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can see a steady improvement in your work, so it seems like you're on the right track. I don't know anything about modeling/animation so I can't offer much critique. Keep it up! :^:

(Also, I loved Tinman!)

Flay on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    YOUR WORK IS GREAT AND I SAY THAT WITH ABSOLUTELY NO BIAS

(hello FEEBS!)

no but seriously, even if i had no idea who you were i would still say what everyone else said. umm. maaaybbeee .. do an animation of a tree walking around? i dont know anything about animation.

mully on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My only thought is that some of the bigger creatures don't seem to have any weight. They seem to be just as light as the flying monkeys.

Other than that I really have no idea what else to day other than :^: :^::^::^:

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    HI I'M ALSO UNBIASED

I love your stuff <333 although it'd probably benefit to say in the reel somewhere what you contributed on the shots if you can

man, that flying looks so good. Also her boob-flying-monkey things or whatever. Awesome.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mully wrote: »
    YOUR WORK IS GREAT AND I SAY THAT WITH ABSOLUTELY NO BIAS

(hello FEEBS!)

no but seriously, even if i had no idea who you were i would still say what everyone else said. umm. maaaybbeee .. do an animation of a tree walking around? i dont know anything about animation.

A TREE?
    WALKING AROUND?
    What do you take me for? Some sort of wizard? PAH!
    (hi mully)

Nappuccino wrote: »
    My only thought is that some of the bigger creatures don't seem to have any weight. They seem to be just as light as the flying monkeys.

Other than that I really have no idea what else to day other than :^: :^::^::^:

Thanks! I'm glad you pointed that out. That is something that my supervisor kept reminding me about with all my 2009 stuff...so hopefully I've improved on that. But I'll definitely keep it in mind more, now that you mention it.

Kochikens wrote: »
    HI I'M ALSO UNBIASED

I love your stuff <333 although it'd probably benefit to say in the reel somewhere what you contributed on the shots if you can

man, that flying looks so good. Also her boob-flying-monkey things or whatever. Awesome.

<3 Oooh good suggestion! I'll do that on my new reel.
    p.s. we called them "moobs".

feebsicle on
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The mans head with the robot body and the segmented video screen that comes out and flips into a screen was awesome.

I think my only crit would be kind of the same crit for most TV animation. And Im never sure if its really due to the artists abilities of the cost constraints theyre working with. But like with the mermaid and snake monster in the Sanctuary episodes the animation is much "smoother" then the rest of the environment. I mean texturally so that they appear slick whereas everything else in the screen is more gritty and the lighting comes off more fuzzy and natural as opposed to sparkly and sleek. This always makesthe animation seem to hover ontop of the rest of the scene kind of like watching a cartoon that clearly has 2D and 3D animation and theres little attempt to blend them into one another to make it less obvious.

Again that is likely more due to your lack of resources, time and finances on the projects as opposed to ability because so much of that reel was exceptional.

Great work.

Hope you get a job soon.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You did the boob monkeys!

I was wondering if you could provide a few more details about your role in what we're seeing. Where in the pipeline were you? Modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, composting, all of the above?

Most of the criticisms I can come up with are in the realm of composting. I will say that overall what you've provided shows strong skills in character animation.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Heartlash wrote: »
    You did the boob monkeys!

I was wondering if you could provide a few more details about your role in what we're seeing. Where in the pipeline were you? Modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, composting, all of the above?

Most of the criticisms I can come up with are in the realm of composting. I will say that overall what you've provided shows strong skills in character animation.

Will do! So basically, in every shot that there is some sort of creature or robot, I did the animation. I was the lead animator for the flying monkeys (in production they were called mobats). I also animated the tattoos on her chest, but any other effect added (like the sparkling blue stuff) was done in compositing (not by me). Every other creature shown in my reel was keyframe animated by me (no mocap).

In some shots (especially the mobat sequence with Alan Cumming and Zoe Deschannel running away) I also did the previs, and animated the camera in addition to animating the mobats. I've done a lot of previs and animatics for Sanctuary, due to it being mostly green-screen. However, all the shots I've done previs for I also usually have a creature to animate, so I like to focus on that.

There are some instances where I did some things other than animation. I textured the robot-guy (Fatherview) as well as the mermaid. I've done some other texturing work for Sanctuary that is not shown in my reel.

There are two shots later in my reel that have a breakdown in the bottom left corner of what I did. The first shot (a train going past camera), I did pretty much everything except the modeling and compositing. I textured, matte-painted, animated, did the lighting and rendering. In the second shot (ancient ruins being revealed via blueprint) the entire shot is made up of two matte-paintings that I did. I also painted the blueprint outlines, but the shimmering/fading in and out effect was done by compositing.

There is also a shot of a cat shadow following Edgar Allan Poe from the work I did on Masters of Horror. I modeled and rigged (as well as animated) the cat, but I never want to draw attention to that. The model and rig were very rudimentary, as only the silhouette was needed. I also did the previs and lighting for that shot.

Like I said, my reel is mostly focused on my animation, so I'm a little hesitant to mention anything else. When I apply for jobs though, I always include a outline/breakdown on paper so they know exactly what I did.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    FoxFanfareFoxFanfare Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cool stuff! How did you do the interaction with the first mobat, did you have to animate to match an existing movement?

Just out of curiosity, did the original mermaid face look in the same direction as the live action one?

FoxFanfare on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FoxFanfare wrote: »
    Cool stuff! How did you do the interaction with the first mobat, did you have to animate to match an existing movement?

Just out of curiosity, did the original mermaid face look in the same direction as the live action one?

In the original plate with the mobat (a plate means just the live action footage without the vfx), there was a person there in place of where the mobat should be. He had that stick in his hand, and handed it off to Azkedelia (the witch lady). So I had to match my mobat animation only at the point where Azkedelia made contact with the stick, to make sure the mobat's hand was in the same spot. We had a CG stick that looked identical to the live action one that I used up until that point, so that I could freely animate the mobat how I liked to. After that, the mobat was composited onto a clean plate (with the stand-in removed). I hope that makes sense...it's hard to explain.

The mermaid model was not a very good one (you can tell just by looking at the body how off the anatomy was) but it was the only thing we had. The live action face looked nothing like the CG face, but it was better.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have a quick question about green screens.

How do you deal with any reflected light that shines on the actor while standing next to a big green screen, or does this even happen?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    DeeLock wrote: »
    I have a quick question about green screens.

How do you deal with any reflected light that shines on the actor while standing next to a big green screen, or does this even happen?

This usually happens. It's up to compositing to fix that. You can clamp the green values down, or take out all the green completely. But doing this will sometimes alter the colours of other things (like hair and skin) so it's just something you have to play with depending on how much green is being reflected. Sometimes you'll have to create a matte or rotoshape to take out greens only where you want it. There are other tools, and it is very similar to photo-manipulating/colour-correcting in Photoshop. I'm not a compositor though, so I don't have much experience with it.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited February 2010
    Yeah that sounds about right. It's pretty easy to motion tween a mask to desaturate only a certain area.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Also, to keep the problem from happening (assuming you're having that problem), when you're shooting try to keep as much distance between the person and the green screen as possible, shouldn't get any green on them if they're far enough away. I'm also told that giving them a magenta black light as a back light will eliminate it as well, though I've yet to try that.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    By the way ... as Im kind of a detail freak and love overly detailed things I just wanted to give you a huge thumbs up on the sea weedish hair on the mermaid. Watched it a few times and still cant be sure if you intended the hair to all be sea weedish or if the sea weed was intertwined like some people have beads in their hair but I loved the idea of sea weed hair from a concept standpoint. Its stuff like that that in my opinion makes an artist really stand out.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    POST SOME ART
    (she is a great artist)

especially those things you posted to threadless
    radical

mully on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    By the way ... as Im kind of a detail freak and love overly detailed things I just wanted to give you a huge thumbs up on the sea weedish hair on the mermaid. Watched it a few times and still cant be sure if you intended the hair to all be sea weedish or if the sea weed was intertwined like some people have beads in their hair but I loved the idea of sea weed hair from a concept standpoint. Its stuff like that that in my opinion makes an artist really stand out.

Yup it's meant to be seaweed, but I didn't make them. I only animated and textured the mermaid. The seaweed hairs are actually a simulated dynamic.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    POST SOME ART
    (she is a great artist)

especially those things you posted to threadless
    radical

okely doke
    here are my threadless designs (none of these made it to printing, if you're wondering):

RUxlR.jpg

fa7wO.jpg

ZZHe2.jpg

and here are some digital sketches I never really finished:

EzEHp.jpg

Dx1ii.jpg

dwwar.jpg

I'll post more later.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I just made a button!

rfcVL.jpg

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i have one :D
    you should link your etsy shop in your sig, feebs! make a neato banner or something for it (80x500) - this place likes to support it's artists so you never know who might start buying up everything

mully on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Omg
    that is super mega cute what what
    yes yes post a link

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ooh I didn't know I could do that! I'll definitely make a link and a banner :)

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I have a couple new Threadless submissions, one of which is ready for voting.
    They are here, here, and here!

259223.png

259271.jpg

please vote for me if you like them :)

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    WHATS YOUR ETSY LADY

Kochikens on
  • Options
    28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Holy shit you did the aliens from the Screwfly Solution I always liked them.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    kochikens - my etsy thingy is HERE (yeah yeah yeah, I'ma gonna make a sig thing soon)

2868 - why thank you! I liked animating those guys. fun fact: I don't know if you remember the shot where the aliens where throwing "treats" at the dogs to eat...but originally they weren't supposed to feed the dogs anything. but it was so obvious that the dogs were eating treats (that were being thrown from off camera) that we had to do something. so we decided to have the aliens throw brains at them.

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    i made a sig is it working?

edit: YAY!!!

edit 2: why is there a white line on top of it?

feebsicle on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All sigs have a white line... i guess because some sigs are text only (ala mine) and people need to know when they should stop reading :lol:

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    oh thanks :)

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    feebsicle wrote: »
    kochikens - my etsy thingy is HERE (yeah yeah yeah, I'ma gonna make a sig thing soon. I'm just lazy that's all)

2868 - why thank you! I liked animating those guys. fun fact: I don't know if you remember the shot where the aliens where throwing "treats" at the dogs to eat...but originally they weren't supposed to feed the dogs anything. but it was so obvious that the dogs were eating treats (that were being thrown from off camera) that we had to do something. so we decided to have the aliens throw brains at them.

That is an awesome bit of trivia.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I made a new demo reel tonight :)

Have a looksee!

And if you'd like to see a bit of a higher res version you can go here (but it might not work if you have a slow connection or old video card).

Feedback/questions/comments are very much appreciated! :)

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I want one of those slimy puppy/rabbit/fishes for my birthday. I would edit down the sequence with the bat/dog/snake chimera. It runs a little longer, or feels a little longer, than the rest of the clips. Perhaps omit it slinking away or a bit of the introductory face off? Just show it interacting with the actor? I feel like the underwater spiders are really well done, in movement and effects, I'm not nuts about the overhead chasm shot at the end. Not because it's bad, but it seems to distract from the creature animation and make me think about story, plausibility etc. That's not what you want.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    2868 - thanks for the excellent feedback :)

feebsicle on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    man how much research must you have to do for every animal?

all i can say is ... i really don't like the music :( like to a point where it makes me want to stop watching even though i'm super interested in your reel

but that's just me, so, there you go

mully on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    man how much research must you have to do for every animal?

all i can say is ... i really don't like the music :( like to a point where it makes me want to stop watching even though i'm super interested in your reel

but that's just me, so, there you go

aww damn...really? that's one of my favorite tunes!
    I hope it's not like that for everyone :( I spent a long long time picking out a song for it. I hope it's not a turn off for other people.

what other kind of song would you like to hear? what do you think would fit?

about the research: yup, I look at a lot of videos to try and match movements of animals that have similar anatomy. sometimes with straight-forward animals (like scorpion and the octopus) we'll look up other animals too, just to get the right character across. usually they have to be more aggressive and dynamic than they actually are.

feebsicle on