As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bibble-bibble Is that what you meant to say Issac?[Golden Sun 3 Thread of Out Now]

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    thing is i'm not even going to restart because fuck that

but wow i really don't feel like playing this game anymore. i don't want to have to sit at my computer with a guide open to play a portable ds game.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what i'll do is figure out the points of no return, find out how many djinn i'm supposed to have by then, and then only check a guide if i'm not at that number

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I believe there are multiple points of no return. And the first one is rather early.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Oh fuck there are Djinn I can miss and never have a chance to get? FUCK ME. I feel like I've missed some since I have 4 venus djinn and 2 of every other and I'm about to enter the
    underwater temple in Ayuthay.

e: Also for Dullahan, I grinded until I learned all Psynergy for my characters and then went in with everything set to summon Charon immediately, then summon everything else I've got and fight fight fight until the party is dead and then bring out the second party and do the same thing. It somehow worked pretty well.

SirToasty on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You should be picking up Djinn at a pretty good clip. I think I've been getting every one but I wish they'd show some more Mercury Djinn. I got two just recently and it still hasn't quite caught me up.

Still haven't found any especially difficult puzzles or gotten any game overs. It feels like they cut down the number of random battles, especially in puzzle rooms, which is nice for not breaking my train of thought but I feel like I'm replacing weapons before I even fully master them.

Terrendos on
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You actually pick up Djinn fast enough that you make every alternate summon that requires 4 or less Djinn worthless by the time you get it. When you can pick up Moloch you can have 5 or 6 of every Djinn type. This is partially because they're throwing almost twice as many Djinn at you as they did in the first two.

Z0re on
    edited December 2010
    So apparently I haven't missed any Djinn that I can't go back to but I did miss the Zagan summon (not that I would ever use it). But I hate missing shit.

SirToasty on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I thought you guys were being hard on the dialogue at first. Then I got to the
    Alchemy Furnace

and holy shit. The exchange after that, about your next objective, is some of the most painful exposition I've ever had to sit through in a game. I swear they repeat the entire sequence at least 3 times. That room is pretty awesome too, so I was all "this game is great" before they talked my ear off for half an hour (x3). I can't help but wonder if something was lost in translation there.

I can't think of any game where there's more of a disconnect between how fun I think the exploration (and to a lesser extent the battling) is and how uninspired the story and dialogue seem to be. It's like if Superstar Saga had no humor.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    So, is it just me or is this game really, really, really easy?

It's not you. I went through the entire game (minus the "extra" bosses) with I think only one fatality. I made it my business to have Wish (and its evolutions) on as many characters as possible and was never really in danger at any time.

Z0re wrote: »
    I lost 6/8 party members against the Star Magician. I still haven't fought Dullahan or the Final Boss either so... I'm not looking forward to that so much.

The final boss is a cakewalk, especially if you were able to endure Star Magician.

Star Magician might have got one or two of my guys, but he was more of an endurance test than anything else. Damn that guy is annoying.

I gave Dullahan a try while waiting for the TSO concert to start last night...

My level 50 team got smoked. He has an attack that does like 600+ and I think maybe two of my characters could survive it. That's without taking into consideration all of the other nonsense he does.

You know what? Not worth the effort it would take to grind up to his level. Maybe if they announce a sequel and that said sequel will be able to import data from this one. Maybe. But I missed 6 Djinn and some other summons too, so we'll see.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't really mind the missable djinns, since I'm not going to bother with a second team anyway. I'll probably go through it a second time for completion's sake though.

I think it's fine that the game rewards players for exploring, knowing they can miss stuff, instead of allowing them to rush the game and do the optional stuff later when powerleveled. It kind of ruins the experience trotting through a place with no real challenge just to get some loot.

The optional bosses were pretty much the only tough bosses in the GBA games apart from the final bosses. Really, the more difficult parts came from the dungeons (Lunpa Fortress in book 1 comes to mind) and figuring out where to go next (The Lost Age mostly).

It's not as hardcore as, say, Etrian Odyssey or some of the older RPGs, but personally I think it's fine. Lord knows I don't have the tolerance anymore to deal with regular enemies that oneshot your entire group at every point in the game (coughFFIVcough).

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Chen wrote: »
    It kind of ruins the experience trotting through a place with no real challenge just to get some loot.

Do you honestly think that going back and getting stuff you missed with no real challenge ruins the experience for more people than those who consider it ruined because they can't go back and get things they missed?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Holy fuck, there's a Golden Sun thread?

Honestly, Golden Sun and Fire Emblem, best games on the GBA.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Z0re wrote: »
    I lost 6/8 party members against the Star Magician. I still haven't fought Dullahan or the Final Boss either so... I'm not looking forward to that so much.

Yeah....if you think Star Magician is hard....

I don't even know how many tries Dullahan took. I'm thinking in the triple digits. I just had to go farm phoenixes and raise about 10 levels before I finally beat him.

edit: This was years ago so I don't remember but I think I was in the low to mid 50's, level wise. And I had all the djinn.

But yeah, Dullahan is just....insane. A lot of it is luck. If he uses Djinn Storm when you have any summons ready to use, you're pretty much screwed.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    thing is i'm not even going to restart because fuck that

but wow i really don't feel like playing this game anymore. i don't want to have to sit at my computer with a guide open to play a portable ds game.

yeah, when i was playing through the first two i had printed djinn guides on me at all times. lookin' like a pro busting those out in the middle of class in high school.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited December 2010
    It kind of ruins the experience trotting through a place with no real challenge just to get some loot.

Do you honestly think that going back and getting stuff you missed with no real challenge ruins the experience for more people than those who consider it ruined because they can't go back and get things they missed?
    What's wrong with punishing people for not exploring? Like has been said, it's not exactly a demanding game. These few djinns probably won't have that much of an impact. Saying it's ruined because of that is laughable.

It's not like it's Fire Emblem where if you miss the requirements for Gaiden chapters, you're missing out on items, characters and exp.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • dirkdirdendirkdirden Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shining Force 2 had hard modes why cant this as it is far to easy.

The game has been a bit of a let down so far mostly from the simplicity also from not really caring to read everything which caused me to get lost at one point.

Still an above average game hopefully it gets far better as I get into it.

dirkdirden on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

What's wrong with punishing people for not exploring? Like has been said, it's not exactly a demanding game. These few djinns probably won't have that much of an impact. Saying it's ruined because of that is laughable.

It's not like it's Fire Emblem where if you miss the requirements for Gaiden chapters, you're missing out on items, characters and exp.

you are a criminal.

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited December 2010
    These few djinns probably won't have that much of an impact.

In the grand scheme of things, no. But the classes you can get by having 9 djinn set are pretty epic.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited December 2010
    If I recall correctly, 8 djinn sets have the same psynergy. There aren't any 3/3/3 sets. You'll lose stats, but nothing major.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited December 2010

you are a criminal.

Basically he admits that yes, it's just a completely unreasonable personal desire, divorced from the realities of modern game design. Nobody else is on that side.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If I recall correctly, 8 djinn sets have the same psynergy. There aren't any 3/3/3 sets. You'll lose stats, but nothing major.

In the TLA the class changing items required 3/3/3 but I am not sure if they are making a return.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010

Yeah because who needs stats when a certain (admittedly optional) boss can crush you for over 600hp per attack?

Also, there's the issue of which "lost forever" djinn you might miss. Of the six I didn't get, I think four are Mercury and two are Venus. That makes some summons tricky, I promise you. Of course, I missed a bunch of summons too, so whatever.

It's really my only complaint about this game, so it's a little more irritating than it should be.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    edited December 2010
    So something that entices exploration and therefore prolongs longevity and adds replay value is unreasonable game design.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited December 2010
    So something that entices exploration and therefore prolongs longevity and adds replay value is unreasonable game design.

Except that being able to go back and explore later to get things you missed without having to start a new game is seen as a huge time saver and a virtue in game design. It too promotes exploration just as much without being extremely cumbersome and terrible.

Longevity for longevity's sake is nasty and unreasonable. "Replay value" means being able to do something that is actually valuable to you as a player, including some actual modification to gameplay or getting a different ending. Playing the exact same game over again to pick up one or two items is not replay value.

UncleSporky on
    edited December 2010
    You're also one of those people who complain that figurines in The Wind Waker are missable, aren't you?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited December 2010
    You're also one of those people who complain that figurines in The Wind Waker are missable, aren't you?

Who knows? On the other hand, I don't have to make any presumptions about your opinions because you've already made them clear.

In any case this is getting off topic and it should probably end here.

UncleSporky on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Permanently missable stuff does not bug me at all. I just deal with it.

I remember fucking up the Black Dragon/Marbule quest in Chrono Cross and having to tough it out against Dario without the black mail to get the mastermune. It was pretty fun!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ahh dullahan

grinding in TLA was actually fun in places where you'd have to farm those phoenixes with that special djinni attack for extra EXP

bonus if they used revive on each other

think a few battles where that happened, the total EXP was over 100,000

gonna try to find GS3 this week, wish me luck

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I saw it while looking for something else. decided to wait a little bit

Jars on
  • dirkdirdendirkdirden Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does anyone have a breakdown of the Classes and status they gain?

dirkdirden on
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Picked this up on release date and have just today gotten time to sit down and actually play it.

God... this game reminds me of why I love traditional JRPGs so much, something that is so few and far between in this day and age.

Black_Heart on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    SirToasty wrote: »
    So apparently I haven't missed any Djinn that I can't go back to but I did miss the Zagan summon (not that I would ever use it). But I hate missing shit.

Why not use Zagan?

I used it when fighting those 3 Sneaky Soldiers that jump you

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks to a well placed Nintendo kiosk at the mall, I got this game for 5 bucks off.

I started playing it last night and was having a blast with it.

Should be a good time.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The only problem I have with this game is that Kraden is still alive... I hate him... He makes the cut scenes last waaaaaay too long.

echo 78 on
    steam_sig.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Stay a while and listen.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited December 2010
    echo 78 wrote: »
    The only problem I have with this game is that Kraden is still alive... I hate him... He makes the cut scenes last waaaaaay too long.

If it makes you feel better...
    I'm like 12+ hours into the game and he's only actually been seen in one cutscene.

Terrendos on
    edited December 2010
    SirToasty wrote: »

Why not use Zagan?

I used it when fighting those 3 Sneaky Soldiers that jump you
    It would get outclassed really quick by other summons. I tended to never use the low end mixed summons.

SirToasty on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I used the magera one, since she ups your attack by a lot. How man djinn are there in GS3? I remember hearing 52, which is actually a lot fewer than were in GS2 despite having the same number of party members.

Jars on
    edited December 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    I used the magera one, since she ups your attack by a lot. How man djinn are there in GS3? I remember hearing 52, which is actually a lot fewer than were in GS2 despite having the same number of party members.

It looks like there's slots for 9 Djinn for each member of the party if there's no scrolling on the Djinn screen.

All I know is I've got tons of the little buggers.

Terrendos on
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, 72 of the damned things, with I think around 20 permanently missable.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif