As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bibble-bibble Is that what you meant to say Issac?[Golden Sun 3 Thread of Out Now]

Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
256px-Gsbox.jpg

and

250px-TheLostAgebox.jpg

What is this Crap?
A two part RPG released in 2001 and 2002 in Japan and 2002 and 2003 in the United States. Originally started as a late gen N64 RPG by Camelot, who had been working non stop on N64 sports games and equally excellent sports RPGs on the Game Boy Color, this excellent pair of early GBA RPGs was once imagined as one game, but they found it was too long to do properly in one go. First game deals with Issac and his party trying to stop a pair of really pale looking goof balls from lighting four Alchemic Lighthouses attuned to a specific element (Earth, Water are covered in the first game, Wind Fire in the Lost Age) and the second title involves a second group, lead by Issac's friends Felix and Jenna who are trying to light the two unlit Lighthouses and save the world from receding into the ocean. Yeah, they go over that little complication sometime late in the second game when the two parties fuse.

Sounds pretty basic, right? Well, it is, and yet it is awesome. The main characters in this game are Adepts, psychics attuned to an element who can cast spells and move shit with their minds and other crazy psychic shit. Instead of taking the easy way out and leaving it at Psychic powers=spells, they made various abilities that effect the world in various ways. Mind reading NPCs? Sure. Lifting crates, moving rocks from a distance? EXPLODING THINGS? BURSTING THINGS? Yep, yep. All done wonderfully in some generally clever puzzles. It's basically turn based RPG Zelda with a party...with that certain Camelot touch.
The graphics and music are also top notch, and everything you collect in the first game can be brought over to the second game.

Camelot Touch?

If you've ever played one of the first few Shining games, or one of the GBC/GBA Mario Tennis/Golf games then you know what this is. Annoying bibble-booble sound effects whenever someone speaks, usually ending in a one sided question with an obvious answer "Do we stop the bad guys? Yes/No." Answer "No" and your party will yell at you and ask you to stop joking, usually with an emoticon or four.

Other Issues.

Games are really easy. I'd never played all of The Lost Age until just this past week so I borrowed a game with Hard Mode unlocked, and...the only hard boss was the first one!

It has FF1 targeting, with a twist. It doesn't auto retarget in this game, so when you aim a hit at something that is going to die your character defends instead of hitting something else available.

The Class/Summon System

Besides the best of genre puzzle solving in this game, the class summon system is also absolutely top notch.

Kind of hard to explain though. Basically as you go along you get to pick up little summon creatures called Djinn of one of the four elementals. Each one can be equipped to a character, giving them new psyenergies (spells), increased or decreased stats, and usually a new class. During your turn you can use one of these djinn to cause a spell like effect to go off, damage, status effect, boost, heal, something like that, but it will lower your stats and possibly change your spell casting list for the next turn. To reset the djnn you need to cast a summon using your unset djinn stocks and then wait a few turns, these summons ranging from the little djinn coming out and doing a small amount of damage to one enemy or motherfucking THOR showing up and lightning the shit out of the opposition. Its a very interesting see saw as later in the game if you have all your Djinn unset the enemies are going to kick the shit out of you in one hit or so.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
Xenogears of Bore on

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I swear to god that if the new DS game has the main characters re-explain their special abilities even one more time, I'll throw this game in a fire.

I honestly developed a twitch because of how bad the first game was for it's repetitious dialogue. I beat it, but fuck, I had no interest in playing the second one. I probably missed out but I don't care.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, as good as the games were, the dialogue made me want to shit a brick.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It took me a year of cooling off before I could beat the final boss of the last game. Thanks, unskippable dialogue cutscene!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One of the more interesting things about the shitty dialogue, there are secret responses in both the games.

In the very beginning of GS if you keep saying fuck no I won't go save the world, you get a game over.

If in The Lost Age you keep giving Kraden sarcastic responses to all the earth shattering questions he will eventually flip out and tell you that this shit isn't a game, fate of the world, yadda, yadda.

Also of note is that some of the NPCs say some absolutely illuminating things if you read their thoughts.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I swear to god that if the new DS game has the main characters re-explain their special abilities even one more time, I'll throw this game in a fire.

I honestly developed a twitch because of how bad the first game was for it's repetitious dialogue. I beat it, but fuck, I had no interest in playing the second one. I probably missed out but I don't care.

I got bored with the first one partially because of this, and never bothered with the second one for the same reason.
    It is too easy, the dialogue is horrendous, but at least it looks pretty.
    I got the vibe that it was trying to be like "Tales of Phantasia" in the art and dialogue direction, with Final Fantasy in the battles, but it seems to be a weird mish-mash. I mean, don't get me wrong, it wasn't too bad to play, but I genuinely don't understand why it's so critically acclaimed. That was the reason why I bought it in the first place. But it was also not as good as the hype, so I took it back and never bothered with the second one.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Because outside of Zelda no game has anywhere near as good adventure style puzzles?

Because the combat (while easy) is lightning quick?

Because even with the shitty dialogue it eventually tells a rather charming tale?

Because link battle mode actually kicks ass?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I loved all the weapon procs. I farmed the weapons named after the 3 fates. Those were cool as shit when they went off in combat.

Artereis on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I loved finding all the little thingers that gave you powers and summons in the first game. Was a blasty. Didn't pick up the second though, for basically the same reason everyone else mentioned: dialogue.

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I took an eight year break between games thinking the same thing. Started playing it and after twenty minutes didn't care two licks. The Lost Age has great gameplay!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well timed thread, since I just picked up the first Golden Sun up for $7. So far it's been fun, and I really don't find the dialog completely terrible, at least so far.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    These were two of my absolute favorite games when I was getting into gaming, heck I just did a 100% runthrough of both about a month ago. I dunno what it is about them but they grabbed me in a way that other RPGs in this vein didn't.

Z0re on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I really liked both games and didn't even notice any of the things about the dialogue until I saw other people mention it. I guess I just don't care about those things.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man you people who haven't played The Lost Age are missing out.

It's easily the best non-port RPG on the GBA

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow, I had completely forgotten about these games but I loved them. The first one got me through a very boring car ride alone with my friend's mom. I can't right now remember any complaints about the games since I played them years ago, but I don't remember ever being completely turned off, so they must have been pretty good.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Another fun thing about these games, The Lost Age especially is that instead of boring old extra damage critical hits most of the end game weapons (and indeed, just about every weapon in TLA) does something neat when you get a critical, like health drain, mana drain, status effect, or ridiculous damage of a given element.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    These games had some of the best class-changing mechanics in an RPG. I wish more RPGs were as cool as this one.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Have we got a release date more firm than 2010 on GSDS yet?

Edit: Also I'd like to add that fighting others in multiplayer was absolutely fantastic and one of the best features of the game as long as you both agreed to not use psy crystals (pp regen item)

This series also does not get enough credit for the role reversal from the story in the first game. Having heard nothing about the story of the second game when I got it I was shocked as hell seeing the whole picture and playing as Felix and co.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    This series also does not get enough credit for the role reversal from the story in the first game. Having heard nothing about the story of the second game when I got it I was shocked as hell seeing the whole picture and playing as Felix and co.
    This. And true that Felix is not bloodthirsty like Karst and Co, but you do see the game from a totally different side, not to mention Jenna and Kraden jump on their side as well. And then of course Issac joins and all is happiness and peaches. Then we make a Felix Jenna Issac Mia party and destroy the world.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    This. And true that Felix is not bloodthirsty like Karst and Co, but you do see the game from a totally different side, not to mention Jenna and Kraden jump on their side as well. And then of course Issac joins and all is happiness and peaches. Then we make a Felix Jenna Issac Mia party and destroy the world.

Saturos and Menardi were far more level headed than Karst and co. Still very very ruthless but they weren't complete and total bastards. And seeing their homeown at the end it seems Karst and Agatio's bloodthirstiness was an exception.

I do find it amusing how in the first one Isaac is the silent protagonist and yet once you find him in the lost age he won't shut up.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Worst part about Saturos and Menardi is that if they just sat down and talked it out with Issac none of that shit would have had to happen.

Worst part about Felix and the two idiots from TLA is that they think you are betraying them no matter what you say.

They're all like

"We're with Alex, going to light the two remaining lighthouses."

"Ok, we want to help you."

"Don't forget we kidnapped your parents. You better not betray us."

"Oh right, you did do that, didn't you. We were too busy thinking about saving the world."

Also I'm getting near the end of TLA and I'm guessing that the giant eyeball rock from waaay back in the beginning of the first game is just kinda an omniscient cock bag.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Worst part about Saturos and Menardi is that if they just sat down and talked it out with Issac none of that shit would have had to happen.
    This just in. Games imitate real life. And 500 other games out there. Alas :(

Syphyre on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wewt! Golden Sun: Dark Dawn! Who's excited? Anyone?

Arteen on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arteen wrote: »
    Wewt! Golden Sun: Dark Dawn! Who's excited? Anyone?

the golden sun series is basically my personal FFVII.

irrational, insane love for it? check.
    automatic endorphin rush when thinking about playing it? check.
    big-ass smile and humming the theme song at random moments? check.

i've played both games more than i can count, and they're probably my favorite games EVER (i did mention irrationality), so a new one is just sending shivers of giddiness up and down my spine. :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sweet, I'm not alone in my love for the game! Two things make me super-excited for this. First, stylus-based psynergy powers. The first two games had pretty creative abilities and puzzles, but Camelot will be able to do so much more with a touchpad. Second, Camelot has said a few times that they consider the story of the first two games to just be a prologue of sorts, and this will be the real thing.

Arteen on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh god yes.

You are all my special people.

I love these games.

I am glad nintendo still remembers them.

Can't wait for the release this year.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Haha, new screens and info here!

goldensundd_17.jpg
    Oh hey there, Isaac!

e3-2010-golden-sun-dark-dawn-screens-20100615105814626.jpg
    I love Golden Sun's summons!

IGN has nice artwork of the three main characters so far.
    Not-Isaac Matthew
    Not-Shebamia Karis
    Not-Garet Terrell
    Seriously, these poor kids got hand-me-downs.

Arteen on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you know

all i'm hoping at this point is that the game has a smooth framerate

i'd hate for it to get chuggy at points, but it's in 3D so that may be inevitable...

i'm super happy that the battle backgrounds seem to have the same attention to detail as in the first games :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    God I loved Golden Sun.

Here's hoping there are a few new insanely rare drops with awesome unleashes like Kikuichimonji and Lachesis' Rule.
    In the end I had to cheat to obtain the K-sword.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fucking with TLA's random drop table is a fucking work of art.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I played TLA first. I was all about collecting djinns. GS3 has got to have the longest development for any handheld ever. Only thing that struck me as kind of lame was the magic. It became useless after like lv10, weapon unleashes were way stronger.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm guessing you nicked a random password off the net to obtain all the djinns. Man, I had to actually earn them.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think these are some of the worst games on the gba and some of the worst rpgs I've played in general

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nobody cares.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I think these are some of the worst games on the gba and some of the worst rpgs I've played in general

Well you're Rent.

So that's to be expected.

Pata on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll leave you to your fanboyism then

Ed: I've never understood the love for this series. It barely has a plot, the gameplay system is old school in all the wrong ways, the series has stupid random spikes in difficulty (especially the final boss of TLA), the djinn shit is some of the worst "GOTTA GET THE GUIDE" shit I've ever seen (because god help you on some of the bosses if you don't have them all), and the "puzzles" are simplistic annoyances

Rent on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Coming into a thread about a game you don't like and calling everyone in it fanboys. Stay classy.

These games aren't perfect. No where near it. A lot of people find them really fun though and have fond memories, and are happy to see a sequel after all these years.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    I'll leave you to your fanboyism then

Actually it's not so much to do with any fanboyism so much as it seems that, at least in terms of RPG tastes, we are bizzaro versions.

Pata on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arteen wrote: »
    IGN has nice artwork of the three main characters so far.
    Not-Isaac Matthew
    Not-Shebamia Karis
    Not-Garet Terrell
    Seriously, these poor kids got hand-me-downs.

You'd think they'd try for something a little different. Still, looking forward to it.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm excited for more attack animation porn

Same reason I love Super Robot Wars games.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    You'd think they'd try for something a little different. Still, looking forward to it.

Well, they're direct descendants.

Cue who shacked who.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png