As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Civilization 4: Domination Victory!

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There will definitely be more for people to do as the government becomes less despotic, I'll say that much.

Do those who are new-ish to the series want me to explain more? Or am I doing a good job thus far?

No, you're doing a pretty good job so far, just as long as the benefits of researching certain technologies (being a Scientist and all) is made clear I should be fine.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    As a priest I feel like there isn't much to do at this point. That'll change before long, though.

Yeah, you guys get stuff to do when we get a religion. I'll admit I couldn't think of much for Artists to do, though there's a culture minister position eventually. (Elvis impersonations preferred)

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I merely await the council nominations. Hopefully I will be able to second someone whose interests coincide with my own. They are simple things, like the construction of large and impressive structures. mrt144's build order includes an Obelisk and an Aqueduct, which pleases me greatly. I understand the need for military units, of course, we can't have filthy heathens razing our beautiful buildings to the ground!

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Will the Military do anything apart from getting units named after them?

I'm good ether way.

Hippie on
  • Options
    KitsurubamiKitsurubami Winnipeg, MBRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There will definitely be more for people to do as the government becomes less despotic, I'll say that much.

Do those who are new-ish to the series want me to explain more? Or am I doing a good job thus far?

Like Darian, I'm pretty much sitting on my hands until I can help contribute to the culture of our civilization.

You've done a good job of explaining the fundamentals to newbies like myself, though.

Kitsurubami on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hippie wrote: »

I'm good ether way.

Y'all have military planning and we'll be appointing some temporary military governors if we conquer some cities here.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hippie wrote: »

I'm good ether way.

Y'all have military planning and we'll be appointing some temporary military governors if we conquer some cities here.

Excellent.

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    3 or so hours if anyone wants to push for anything.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looks like Dickerdale's in the lead with 2 votes!

Djonganet and Penistowne are tied with one vote each.

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    if we're voting on city names again, I vote for Djonganet

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I vote for Preg-Naho, hopefully to keep penistowne out of the running.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    silburnlsilburnl Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've not said anything since joining because it seemed like you had a pretty clear plan for the next bit of the game and, as a diplomat, I don't really have anything constructive to add until you start building spies and spy buildings.

However if you're going to be planting a city in the NW to fence off Pacal, then Cockblock would be a good name for it I think.

Regards
    Luke

silburnl on
    Insert witty sig here
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Participation has already slowed. Are people following the thread and feel like they have nothing to contribute? Or did things turn you off somehow? I want to improve your experience!

More explanation of mechanics? Larger say in what we do? Less complexity?

This LP would like feedback!

I'm enjoying it so far.

Meant to ask a couple of days ago, and it slipped my mind: I don't suppose you still have the autosave from 4000 BC? I think it might be constructive for me to follow along by imitating the LP in person, so to speak.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    Participation has already slowed. Are people following the thread and feel like they have nothing to contribute? Or did things turn you off somehow? I want to improve your experience!

I'm enjoying it so far.

Meant to ask a couple of days ago, and it slipped my mind: I don't suppose you still have the autosave from 4000 BC? I think it might be constructive for me to follow along by imitating the LP in person, so to speak.

I'll try to post the save when we win.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tamin wrote: »

I'm enjoying it so far.

I'll try to post the save when we win.

Excellent.

Tamin on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    silburnl wrote: »
    I've not said anything since joining because it seemed like you had a pretty clear plan for the next bit of the game and, as a diplomat, I don't really have anything constructive to add until you start building spies and spy buildings.

However if you're going to be planting a city in the NW to fence off Pacal, then Cockblock would be a good name for it I think.

Regards
    Luke

This is pretty much the idea I have. Any limited spy points should be spent on the Buddist, and until we have a Spy producing city we're pretty much stuck.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There will be spies built this update!

One is going to head east to do some scouting, the other is going to go hang out in Mutal (Mayan capital).

Code of Laws would help you guys to have something to do though, it's true.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Don't despair too much, participation in virtually any forum game always slows down over the weekend.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My favourite part of any strategy game that has nukes of some form is, well, the nukes.

There's something about planning out the nuclear strikes and seeing the havoc they wreck on the environment and infrastructure that I really love.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If I build a city this round, it shall be Dickerdale! And it will be governed by Shalmelo. Second would be Djonganet, governed by Arkan, but unless there's an insane, must have site that I find, that's unlikely.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If anyone's around in the next five minutes, make a decision for me:

xpr2b6.jpg

North coast of our continent, there is a deer under the capture window in the city's range. Pretty good arctic city, honestly. Also blocks off Maya. Not sure if it's worth it at the moment.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Keep it; let our borders run to the northern sea.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Done, and it shall be for now Silver Snakes instead of Olmec. For the head was lame, but the team names were awesome (and that's the most innuendo-y of them).

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hmm
    On the votes side:

City Name - number of votes
    Dickerdale - 2
    Djonganet - 2
    Penistowne - 1
    Preg-Naho - 1

City Name - voted by (#post)
    Dickerdale - MegaMek (#413)
    Dickerdale - Darian (#427)
    Djonganet - Dojango (#428)
    Djonganet - Dyscord (#451)
    Penistowne - Foomy (#415)
    Preg-Naho - Teriferin (#452)

Nominated

Cockblock - silburnl

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So... we might not want to fight a war. There is a ton of land, there is an added complication with Joao.

Also, our spies suck at not getting caught.

On the plus side holy shit power rating... and... you'll see. To organizing of the screen shots!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    On the plus side holy shit power rating... and... you'll see. To organizing of the screen shots!

On the power rating point: I noticed that in the screen shot above asking for a decision. I was wondering just how that had come about.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Uh-oh!

Poor spies. =/

What causes spies to be caught? Is it like tech level difference in MoO, or a different in the number of spy point invested?
    Darian wrote: »

On the power rating point: I noticed that in the screen shot above asking for a decision. I was wondering just how that had come about.

Clearly, ebum was just standing in the corner, charging up. So it's not quite over 9000 yet, but it's on its way!

Maybe that should be what we should aim for - a power level of over 9000?

Wait, is power rating the 323 or the 7?

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Uh-oh!

Poor spies. =/

What causes spies to be caught? Is it like tech level difference in MoO, or a different in the number of spy point invested?

Not entirely sure, as I said I tend to ignore them. Could someone better at the art of spying answer the question?

Also, I got a bit... aggressive with Dickerdale.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Well, two of the Governors orders were basically... build a lot of dudes. And mrt144's was half dudes. So we have a lot of dudes! Need some catapults and infrastructure though.

Also, I'm trying to get this to the next page, though I suppose I should write the damn update first.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Well, two of the Governors orders were basically... build a lot of dudes. And mrt144's was half dudes. So we have a lot of dudes! Need some catapults and infrastructure though.

Also, I'm trying to get this to the next page, though I suppose I should write the damn update first.

lots of dudes is good, sweep the land in a wave of glorious bloodshed and all.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The 323 is the overall score that the game uses to rank civs; the 7 seems to be the number of cities we have, based on update 2 (where ours changes from 1 to 2 when he settles Pi-Dongbury).

Darian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The 323 is the overall score that the game uses to rank civs; the 7 seems to be the number of cities we have, based on update 2 (where ours changes from 1 to 2 when he settles Pi-Dongbury).

Ahh, cool. Cheers Darian!

So when you guys say power rating, it's neither of these numbers? Hahahaha

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Military power is one of the ratings that goes into the overall score (along with population, research, etc.)

I think there is an advisor that lets you see just the military power comparisons, and my best guess is that's what he was referring to. But the 323 is an indicator of power as well; it surprised me to see us jump from middle of the pack to first that quickly.

Darian on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The score comparison takes into account power rating, technologies researched, number of cities, and other things. It is entirely possible to have a high score but only a few cities; likewise it is entirely possible to have a huge vast empire but be technologically backwards.

Spies can be seen by military units, thus each turn you sit in a city there's a chance of being caught. Same for if they happen to walk through your square. I'm sure civfanatics has a gruelingly detailed post about it.

travathian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Update 3: Explore, Expand, Exterminate?

So a general word about this update: most of it was scouting and building stuff. I didn't really do much, though took a decent number of shots for you guys. This was especially true of our entire first technology (Math) where nothing of interest happened.
    2u8i735.jpg

Sent a Warrior far to the southeast and found Shaka! He's a good distance away, and not an immediate danger. Which is good. However, he does have a fair amount of empty land to expand into. Which is bad. And it's pretty nice land. Which is extra bad.

snmckh.jpg

I also found a barbarian village, which as we've seen I eventually conquered. Yay for being guarded by warriors. For the newbies: barbarians don't just get random units, they also spawn entire cities. Which you can capture. They are frequently in meh to bad locations though and sometimes merit torching. When you conquer a city, you can choose to either burn it or keep it, as seen in the screenshot where I asked for the crowd's opinion.

jil7o6.jpg

I included this shot to show that there is a reasonably nice area with two luxuries we don't have access to yet just north of the capital. This will seriously help our happy cap and would be worth building a city (Shrinkage?) at some point in the near future. Not much food though. Still, worth considering.

2ch5qvn.jpg

I found this location and couldn't resist, with an artist Governor due up and his presumed commitment to culture buildings, I figured it'd be ok. That city is on a hill for defense and due to creative has almost stolen away the cow already. Went Monument first to help improve the cultural battle.

2j60cpu.jpg

South of the capital is in fact a small peninsula with the possibilities of a few cities. Of course, it also had this barbarian warrior sitting on top of a goody hut. So our first War Chariot was dispatched to immediately investigate.
    2w6uq8x.jpg

Holy shit! Metal Casting is a GREAT tech to pick up for free. It allows forges, which increase production, and is pretty expensive.

2lc0hp2.jpg

Next I founded Djonganet up to our north. This was the initial and only city I was going to build this round, but that double gold with three flood plains and a cow site took precedent. Three flood plains, a couple luxuries when we pick up Calendar, a good amount of commerce for a city Arkan wants to turn into just a research institute.

2crsie0.jpg

I kept forgetting to show off promotions. This is an axeman who had just killed a barbarian spearman and got up to the second level of experience. He already has combat I (+10% strength), so has access to a bunch of promotions. Combat II (+10% more), Cover (+25% against archers), Smite (+25% against melee), Charge (I think, I forget the name, anyway it's +25% against siege weapons), Medic (helps units in the same square heal faster), Forester (extra defense in forests), and City Raider (+20% when attacking a city). Promoting a unit also heals 50% of any damage they've taken.

xku5o7.jpg

Pacal offered this deal, which was interesting. Iron Working would be a nice thing to have, but I'm not accepting any deals in the middle of updates at the moment. I'll post full options when we have a new Chancellor. As well as summary screens and a world update for the new cabinet to consider. One thing about Iron Working is we're about to start building in jungles if we expand anymore, and we need to chop those down.

3346pvr.jpg

Joao is expanding in not nice places. Also: note the Axeman. Not good.

4l3l10.jpg

Oh hey, check out that mine on a plains! Joao has Iron Working, that is obviously Iron. Also note the walls in Lisbon. To take him out we'll need some catapults. Which we can build, but it would take some time.

2s0gswp.jpg

Olmec, now Silver Snakes will need a military governor. The new Warlord will appoint any member of the military not already a governor. This will last until the next cabinet is formed, at which point the military governor will be replaced by a civilian who has moved there.

24qlq28.jpg

On the last turn, I decided to check out the time it would take to build the Pyramids. That was too long.

1z6i42.jpg

So I moved some tiles around in Arcadia, and this was the result. Much better! If we chop down some forests, this will improve further.

zo9tmu.jpg

Also, another barbarian cities, that unless they get super lucky the Mayans won't be able to take. This might be a good military outpost to watch Shaka from? Also note: Joao has converted to Judaism, so should be the continent's pariah if we want to go after him. If we could get help from Brennus and/or Louis that would be excellent as a distraction. Would run the risk of them taking one or more of his cities though. Lisbon is the only one I really want, though Evora isn't in a terrible place.

WORLD UPDATE

ndlk49.jpg
    bimouf.jpg

The Oracle we could have gotten easily if we had gone after any religion techs at all, what with our marble. Free tech, but not a big loss. With all our gold/cottaged flood plains, we make a TON of research.

LP STUFF

We need a new cabinet! Submit your name for consideration by writing in the pretty colors in the OP. Judgement remains Spy Master.

Warlord
    Philosopher
    Chancellor

Once you have been seconded (preferably also in a pretty color!) you will also be considered.

Questions to the candidates:

Warlord

1) Should we focus on Catapults, Axemen, Chariots, Spearmen, or a mix? Define the mix.
    2) Do any of the AIs look tasty to you?

Philosopher

Where would you focus our research? What are our goals?

Chancellor

1) How do you feel about open borders?
    2) What to do about the Joao problem?
    3) What to do about the border incidents I've sparked with Dickerdale?
    4) Who, if anyone, should we try to make friends with?

Today is not a day to request the Pyramids officially, or to nominate/vote on city names. We should discuss overall strategy though. There's still a good amount of land to expand into peacefully. Do we want to stay peaceful, or continue building up our military for an assault on either Pacal or Joao? As you can see, we have a rather significant strength advantage on him. I'll also send out city shots after today's cabinet discussions.

General notes: Judaism being on this continent, but NOT in the Maya and Louis not having converted to it means that it is almost 100% in Celtia. I haven't gotten to check out Bibracte to confirm it's a double holy city yet, but it seems likely.

Louis got his third city build really really slowly. I suspect, because he's industrious, that he spent a lot of time building wonders and that he's responsible for both The Great Wall (confirmed) and Stonehenge. Maybe one of the other two as well, he tried to trade me Sailing not long after the Great Lighthouse was built.

Any candidate may request any information from me. Tech trees, diplomatic glance, tech trades available, city summary, whatever.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, obviously: you can move to new towns. Though an Engineer should hang out in the capital if we want the Pyramids.

And for those curious, Confucianism is still available, and I thought I'd help out our spy master by picking up Courthouses (plus, we're getting large and it would help financially). Thus the Code of Laws pick, which is my private preference. Up to the new Philosopher though.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll move back to Arcadia, so that I might manage the building of the Pyramids at a later date.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I'll move back to Arcadia, so that I might manage the building of the Pyramids at a later date.

Tomorrow? :P

EDIT: I just realized having cabinet nominations on Super Bowl Sunday... possibly not my best idea ever! We'll see how this goes.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Axemen don't stand a chance against our war chariots, 100% vs axemen remember. So base 12 vs base 5.

travathian on
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, obviously: you can move to new towns. Though an Engineer should hang out in the capital if we want the Pyramids.

And for those curious, Confucianism is still available, and I thought I'd help out our spy master by picking up Courthouses (plus, we're getting large and it would help financially). Thus the Code of Laws pick, which is my private preference. Up to the new Philosopher though.

:^:

Thank you, sir!

Unfortunately, I didn't just post to thank you. I have a reason that the spy may have died; the enemy has spies as well. I keep looking up Spies and it reads that they are invisible to all other units and cities except other spies. Also, if we were to have a Spy in our city when they send one in it would greatly increase the chances of finding them.

So my proposal is that, if possible, we can see who is spending the least on Espionage, spend more than them, and dump points into screwing them over. If they are, economically speaking, ahead of us, we should poison their wells, granting us more points. If they are a different religion/culture, we spread ours within their cities.

I know the resources for Spies is very limited at the moment, but putting our efforts into the one who spends the least on Espionage would help us earn more points for Spy missions.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png