As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Loud laptop fan

VistiVisti Registered User regular
So hey guys. I'm getting pretty pissed about this problem. I have this laptop for a while, an Acer Extensa 5220 and it ran for several months with no problems at all on both Vista and various Linuxes. But suddenly one day the fan is running at max speed constantly after about 5 minutes of use. Convinced it was a bug in Linux, I wiped a beautiful setup I had to install Windows 7. Problem is still there. I was told that specific Acer software could help me, but it does nothing (specifically, Acer's epower tools)

The chipset is an 82801HBM (ICH8 family) from Intel and while programs such as Speedfan detects the set, but I can't manipulate fan speed in any way. Same story with all other programs I've tried.

Anyone know what the deal is here? Is it just locked than and am I then screwed? It's so loud that I can't use it in class and barely in my own living room. And it used to be silent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Visti on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's probably dirty and full of dust and other shit.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Not that I can tell. I had it open, because I originally also thought that it was something in the way of the fan. But the fact that it can't be controlled through software also has me worried. I'll try disconnecting and cleaning it, though.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How's the airflow? Is it being blocked by a surface or on your lap or something that keeps in heat like a blanket? Most laptops need to be on those laptop cooler pads now-a-days or they do basically what you're explaining. However, if you like a warm lap, it's not a bad deal.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Holy crap, I took the fan off the mainboard and there was about an inch of solid grime covering on of the air grills. Took it out and it's silent for now at least. What I checked was inside the fan itse!lf.

Thanks, man!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    No problemo. I'd check it at least every 3-6 months from now on. Your laptop will love you and last forever.

bowen on