As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 1&2 - Ahhhhhh yes, the "REAPERS".

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Stigma wrote: »
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    @ Stigma: Well that last sentence is just silly, but I am wondering what the heck you were doing if you were driving around planets with nothing but mineral deposits o_O

Bioware told me that there would be alot of planets with unique content and things to find so I explored at least 90% of the galaxy after getting my ship. I avoided the two quest planets.
    I may have run into two or three planets that had a building on them with NPCs but that's it, and they usually boiled down to a quick fight followed by a short dialogue. For the most part I felt very much lied to about the size of Mass Effect. The name of the game brought on thoughts of grandeur.

Overall I think ME1 would have been better for me if it came out honestly and said "You have 4 missions and you can do the middle two in whatever order you'd like!"

My memory is vague and negative so go ahead and pick apart the detail I missed.

I'm pretty sure there was a side-quest on literally every single planet you could land on.

That's wierd. I only remember there being a 60-70% chance of a random battle. Like I said maybe 2 or 3 had dialogue total.
    Did I miss the secret to activating side missions? I was very distracted by my horrible horrible framerate/chop on 360.

Now you're just trolling. And making a fool of yourself. Stop digging the hole, man.

I'm totally not trolling. I really did have bad framerate and alot of chop on the 360, though that might have something to do with the quality of my console or disc because I haven't spoken with anyone who shares that experience.
    If there was more to the random planets than the occasional random battle I probably missed something and I'm willing to admit it's probably my fault.

No more digging for me, I mean, I know full well that when I open my mouth it's me against the world most of the time. Sorry.

Every planetary system you could go to except for one had a planet you could land on, and every planet you could land on had something you could do tied to some sidequest.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What you have ultimately done to the Reapers is
    forced them to wake up prematurely and straight-up infiltrate the Milky Way head-on, not the ideal plan for them and a pretty dark oncoming fight for us.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A duck! wrote: »
    Again, maybe I need to make this point a little bit clearer. From where you are at the end of 1 compared to where you are at the end of 2 it doesn't feel like you're any closer to dealing with the horde.

Yes, you can say, but you defeated the Collectors and beat up a Reaper! The single point that I'm making is that discounting elements introduced in 2 you're no better prepared for the Reapers now than you were at the end of 1. I did forget the Geth, good catch on that. From the end of 1 to the end of 2 it's just Shepard -friends -ship -Council +friends +ship. Net loss of Council.
    But my point is, which kicked this whole thing off, is that that's the exact same position you're in at the end of ME1. When you defeat Saren and Sovereign, you're no closer to dealing with the Reaper horde. You've merely managed to delay that fight until another day, presumably when the galaxy is more prepared.

In ME2, the same thing happens. You once again manage to foil the Reapers' plans, pushing the fight to another day.

You can't say that ME1 felt more satisfying because you did so much more to stop the Reapers when you did pretty much the same thing in both games, lived to fight another day (and if anything, you could probably argue you did more to stymie the Reapers in ME2 with the destroying-the-Collectors and eliminating-control-of-geth things.)

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone know how to get rid of the limit on save games on the PC version?

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Nocturne wrote: »
    @ Stigma: Well that last sentence is just silly, but I am wondering what the heck you were doing if you were driving around planets with nothing but mineral deposits o_O

Bioware told me that there would be alot of planets with unique content and things to find so I explored at least 90% of the galaxy after getting my ship. I avoided the two quest planets.
    I may have run into two or three planets that had a building on them with NPCs but that's it, and they usually boiled down to a quick fight followed by a short dialogue. For the most part I felt very much lied to about the size of Mass Effect. The name of the game brought on thoughts of grandeur.

Overall I think ME1 would have been better for me if it came out honestly and said "You have 4 missions and you can do the middle two in whatever order you'd like!"

My memory is vague and negative so go ahead and pick apart the detail I missed.

I'm pretty sure there was a side-quest on literally every single planet you could land on.

That's wierd. I only remember there being a 60-70% chance of a random battle. Like I said maybe 2 or 3 had dialogue total.
    Did I miss the secret to activating side missions? I was very distracted by my horrible horrible framerate/chop on 360.

Now you're just trolling. And making a fool of yourself. Stop digging the hole, man.

I'm totally not trolling. I really did have bad framerate and alot of chop on the 360, though that might have something to do with the quality of my console or disc because I haven't spoken with anyone who shares that experience.
    If there was more to the random planets than the occasional random battle I probably missed something and I'm willing to admit it's probably my fault.

No more digging for me, I mean, I know full well that when I open my mouth it's me against the world most of the time. Sorry.

Every planetary system you could go to except for one had a planet you could land on, and every planet you could land on had something you could do tied to some sidequest.
    %90 of the time that something was an artifact to collect or a random battle. That's alllll I'm saying, so I'll leave the thread now.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    %90 of the time that something was an artifact to collect or a random battle. That's alllll I'm saying, so I'll leave the thread now.

Yes, all the sidequests were basically just "go there, shoot some dudes". That is an entirely valid complaint and it did get tedious after a while.

edit: pruning the tree.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Captain FordoCaptain Fordo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm just about to start my insanity playthrough, and I wanted to make sure the common consensus is Vanguard is a BAD idea? Right? Sorry for asking but i dont feel like goin through 92 pages for an answer

Captain Fordo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

And that's very, very wrong, which is what pretty much everyone is trying to tell you.

ME1 side-quests weren't great, but they're not what you're describing, either.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

And that's very, very wrong, which is what pretty much everyone is trying to tell you.

Okay I'm wrong :P

Stigma on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Here you go.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2156097/Mass-Effect-Progress-Checklist-v15

Scroll on down to page 4 of the guide. You'll notice that almost every system has a planet to land on. Every single one of those planets has an assignment on them.

99% of those assignments boil down to "Enter building, shoot until end, profit". But there WAS an assignment on every world.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lion wrote: »

Maybe move some of your savefiles to a different folder?

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    VathrisVathris Baconist @EndofTimeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm just about to start my insanity playthrough, and I wanted to make sure the common consensus is Vanguard is a BAD idea? Right? Sorry for asking but i dont feel like goin through 92 pages for an answer

That would be a bad idea (even though my favorite class is Vanguard).

The general consensus is that soldier, infiltrator and engineer are the best suited to deal with insanity.

Vathris on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The "collect the crap" missions in ME1 are really just inexcusable to me. I mean obviously you don't have to do them and I never really did, but they're probably the ultimate in RPG filler in the modern era.

The most damning indictment of ME1's sidequests is how little ME2 had to do to make the sidequests much more interesting. Slightly different planets, different colors of guys to fight, and marginally more varied environments (that seem to be mostly re-textures of previously-used environments anyway.)

Fortunately very little of what happens on those worlds seems to matter to ME2, so you can just skip over the large portion of it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    James SheperedJames Shepered Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay, can Shep have mulitiple romances at a time?

James Shepered on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Here you go.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2156097/Mass-Effect-Progress-Checklist-v15

Scroll on down to page 4 of the guide. You'll notice that almost every system has a planet to land on. Every single one of those planets has an assignment on them.

99% of those assignments boil down to "Enter building, shoot until end, profit". But there WAS an assignment on every world.

I've said that every planet did have at least a random battle or artifact/mineral to collect. I remember that much.

<3 Thank you Dyscord.

Stigma on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would definitely not play a vanguard on insanity. The first ten or so levels of the game would be absolute murder, especially since both the early recruiting missions have you fighting vorcha.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay, can Shep have mulitiple romances at a time?

Kind of. There is a point early in each romance where they'll make you call your others off if you want to continue.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've said that every planet did have at least a random battle or artifact/mineral to collect. I remember that much.

Come on. Saying 'random battle' is a terrible misrepresentation. And again, it really makes it look like you're just trolling.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lion wrote: »

Maybe move some of your savefiles to a different folder?

Easier said than done since I can't name files something specific like I could in Dragon Age.

Though, the original ME had a file where you could edit a value so you could have as many save files as you needed.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

<3 Thank you Dyscord.

They're not random battles if they happen in the exact same place on the exact same planets with the exact same enemies for every person playing the game.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Come on. Saying 'random battle' is a terrible misrepresentation. And again, it really makes it look like you're just trolling.

Copy/pasted building with enemies and 2 chests in it? Is that better?
    Sometimes the enemies popped out of the sand, sometimes it was a sandworm.

So remove the word random and I'm not so crazy.

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the responses, is Sentinel viable? Because I really like the sound of tech and biotic powers, and being all stealthy as an infiltrator just doesnt seem that much fun.
    edit: crap, infiltrator is the only one with sniper : ( guess it'll be that.

Captain Fordo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Also that one planet where you had to fight a bunch of geth, where the snow/blizzard made most of the screen the exact same color as the mako's gunsight?

that planet can eat a dick

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    James SheperedJames Shepered Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pancake wrote: »
    Kind of. There is a point early in each romance where they'll make you call your others off if you want to continue.
    Thanks. And, how do I get
    Ahsley's picture back up on Shepard's desk? Is there a way to call off everyone I've started (Jack first, than Samara (sort of), then recently Tali). Can I get to a point where Shepard doesn't want any of them and gets Ash in the third? (Well, we assume).

James Shepered on
  • Options
    VathrisVathris Baconist @EndofTimeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the responses, is Sentinel viable? Because I really like the sound of tech and biotic powers, and being all stealthy as an infiltrator just doesnt seem that much fun.

That and soldier, and btw soldier is good with sniper, (universal bullet time).

Vathris on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Infiltrator isn't that stealthy, if that's not your cup o' tea. There were more than enough times where I was in the middle of the action shooting it up.

Mostly because after you've hung back and used up all 10 shots of your sniper rifle... you're pretty much forced to get into the mix of things. :)

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I haven't tried Insanity, but the Sentinel gets a barrier/armor buster, shield buster, and extra passive defense

it sounds practically ideal

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would characterize sentinel as being boring, but highly efficient. You get good defenses and warp/overload, but you're limited to pistol/SMG (plus whatever your advanced spec is), and you lack the flashier powers that the soldier and the infiltrator get.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

No offense, but...this...has gone on way too long. Take care, man.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hmm two hours to kill in game before a big mission... what to do what to do?
    Be alive with me tonight thane

Much more sublime than gratuitous asari sex scene

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Also, while it's true that the overarching story isn't developed that much in 2, it really is more about Shepard's (and your own) personal development and the peripheral characters surrounding him. Which I personally find way more interesting than anything relating to the reapers. It's really just an excuse to do create a role and a story within a sci-fi universe - I didn't really feel the overarching story was that important in the first game, either. Moreso than in the sequel, sure, but that was primarily because it had an actual villain.

Which, I guess the closest we get to in 2 is The Illusive Man.

The Illusive Man, thanks in great part to Martin Sheen, isn't really a villian at all but more of a man in the gray areas of morality and conquest etc. One could easily argue that he's a good guy just as much as one could argue he's bad. He saved Shepard and was almost entirely responsible for the success of his team, but at the same time all this success may be just to further the fucked up things Cerberus did in ME1. It's yet to be seen who TIM will turn out to really be.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vathris wrote: »

Ive been a soldier for two playthroughs already and I wanna mix it up a bit. I think i will go infiltrator with AP ammo bonus power. Does the bonus power get overridden by advanced training later on? I cant have both can I?

Captain Fordo on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I need a monumental antagonist behind the curtains.

And the Reapers are hard to top.

That's why you scale things down rather than up. Because up gets real retarded real fast.

Scaling down loses the momentum.

For further reference on that: see ME2.

While the game is fucking awesome, and better than ME1, one of the poorer points is that ME1 overshadows it with the whole "HOLY FUCKING SHIT I SAVED THE GALAXY MOTHERFUCKER, YEAH!", while the biggest plot twist in ME2 was when you found the toilet in your private quarters.

Wait, what?

I agree with BlackDove on this one. In 2 you do find out a lot of backstory and there are developments, but it feels like you're really no further along with the overarching story than after the first game.

But by that logic, when you complete ME1, you're really no further along in the overarching story than when you began. All you did was take out one Spectre and one reaper. You created a momentary setback for the reapers. There's still a fuckton of them coming to wipe everyone out.

Uh, not even close?
    ME1: Man things are great, oh snap we're gonna die to machine gods oh noes the Reapers are minutes away from entering the galaxy and fucking everyone in the ass. Or not, sucks to be you, Reapers!

ME2: Time to deal with all those Reapers out there oh wait I guess I'll kill some mercs and criminals and this new threat and hey how about all those Reapers out there I guess I'm gonna *end credits*

In Act 1 you fuck over the Reaper horde and in 2 you do what about that Reaper horde? Nothing? Okay.

I thought of it as:
    Prothean survivors fuck up Reaper Plan A before it begins.

50,000 years pass...

ME1: Shepard fucks up Reaper Plan B just before it finishes.

2 years pass...

ME2: Shepard fucks up Reaper Plan C out of the gate.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Vathris wrote: »

As a soldier, I had zero intention of ever using my sniper rifle. But damn that thing was just too effective.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

No offense, but...this...has gone on way too long. Take care, man.

*nod*

So does interrupting dialogue in ME2 work any differently than it did in ME1?

Stigma on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    advanced training isn't a power, you just get another gun to use

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    StormgaleStormgale Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So then
    HUSKS HAVE ARMOR!
    SERIOUSLY?
    Yeah Im 1/2 way through harvest on Insanity... Infiltrator shep with Miranda and Jacob backing me up, even my trusty widow is starting to fail me

Stormgale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sentinel is really solid. The weapon selection felt a bit anemic coming from the Soldier, but the powers made up for it. The ability to take down any protection with cooldowns is great.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

That's why you scale things down rather than up. Because up gets real retarded real fast.

While the game is fucking awesome, and better than ME1, one of the poorer points is that ME1 overshadows it with the whole "HOLY FUCKING SHIT I SAVED THE GALAXY MOTHERFUCKER, YEAH!", while the biggest plot twist in ME2 was when you found the toilet in your private quarters.

Wait, what?

I agree with BlackDove on this one. In 2 you do find out a lot of backstory and there are developments, but it feels like you're really no further along with the overarching story than after the first game.

But by that logic, when you complete ME1, you're really no further along in the overarching story than when you began. All you did was take out one Spectre and one reaper. You created a momentary setback for the reapers. There's still a fuckton of them coming to wipe everyone out.

Uh, not even close?
    ME1: Man things are great, oh snap we're gonna die to machine gods oh noes the Reapers are minutes away from entering the galaxy and fucking everyone in the ass. Or not, sucks to be you, Reapers!

ME2: Time to deal with all those Reapers out there oh wait I guess I'll kill some mercs and criminals and this new threat and hey how about all those Reapers out there I guess I'm gonna *end credits*

In Act 1 you fuck over the Reaper horde and in 2 you do what about that Reaper horde? Nothing? Okay.

I thought of it as:

50,000 years pass...

2 years pass...

Wow, It's taking us exponentially less time between
    fucking up reaper plans. pretty soon they'll be foiled ever few minutes, the seconds as the limit of the time between their plans being foiled nears infinity

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Wait, what?

Uh, not even close?

I thought of it as:

50,000 years pass...

2 years pass...

ME2 comes out and says that the Reapers were responsible for the Rachni Wars, so we might even be up to Plan D.

Elendil on
This discussion has been closed.