As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OVER 9000 ON!?] Anime style RP

ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Critical Failures
I've been thinking about this a bit...and I figured I should actually formally ask here and see if anyone's interested. I'm a big fan of (over the top) anime/fighting game style martial arts action. I've run several games in that style, but they've never lasted, for various reason. You guys know how that is, of course.

So, I was wondering if any of you guys were interested in starting up some RP of that type. I've done sessions through IRC or similar programs, and I also ran one adventure in a more play by post style. So, I'm open to prettymuch anything.

It'd either be set up as a fighting game 'tournament' of sorts, with a real world setting, or in a DragonBall alternate dimension/timeline.

I would love to use Thrash for this, because I really enjoy how well the system is done. But it's very easily 'broken,' so I could use a little help shoring up the sides (I already have a few house rules from earlier sessions), and players that wouldn't actively try to break it. Alternatively, I'd be open to something more free form/diceless.

If anyone happens to have Feng Shui, Exalted, BESM, or one of the other games that might fit the style, I'd be up for giving any of them a try. Just not Majoko. I hate that game.

uyvfOQy.png
Reynolds on

• Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'd rather just play Exalted.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I did mention that system in the first post, because I heard it might be close to the 'feel' I was shooting for. I just don't own it.

But, thank you for starting things off with a negative post. Anyone else?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I own BESM 2nd Ed.

I love it, but don't have a group that would ever be interested. I ran a Bubblegum Crisis game that was over the top fun, with scenes that had us all in stitches.

Not sure if I would PbP it though, its really a genre that shines by RPing performances.

Still, I'll watch this thread.

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I did one PbP where I was a player in an anime game, and it went okay. There was a built in roll command on the boards. If people had posted more, it would have been nice. So it can sometimes work.

The one I ran, though, I had the players just send me what they wanted to do in an email. Any quotes or specific poses/actions as well. Then I'd take all four or five character's submissions, read them over, and combine them into one huge post I would right up. Then I'd put it up on a website, which also contained character bios, background story, pictures, etc. It did really well...again, until people stopped playing one by one.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jovian Chronicles? That sounded like a cool game. :P

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't get it. >.> It's a reference to...something...boo. :(

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Jovian Chronicles = Sci fi pen and Paper RPG with giant robots and such. Heavily anime-inspired.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Reynolds wrote:
    It did really well...again, until people stopped playing one by one.

The plight of PbP's everywhere.

gredavin on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited January 2007
    Feng Shui might work. It's based on Hong Kong style action movies with martial arts and gunplay and white-haired martial arts masters jumping between leafs falling off a tree... but hell, so is a lot of anime.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yes, I've heard Feng Shui is a great system, and would probably work well for this. Unfortunately, I've never even seen the book. I heard it's only a DC 15 to run across a stream of machinegun bullets, though...!

Well, I guess there's not much interest for this style of play on these boards.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Nothing? Comments, questions, something I overlooked, something I need to change...? I'm honestly just wondering if I'm personally doing something incorrect here, or if people just hate martial arts RPGs here.

I won't post in here again if I don't need to respond to something, I'll let it die quietly. And plot for later.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    gredavin wrote:
    I own BESM 2nd Ed.

I love it, but don't have a group that would ever be interested. I ran a Bubblegum Crisis game that was over the top fun, with scenes that had us all in stitches.

Not sure if I would PbP it though, its really a genre that shines by RPing performances.
    Every time I use BESM for something I end up banging my head against a brick wall. No matter what the concept is, I always end up with large areas of the rules which simply need to be rewritten in order to have it work for that style.

It was the flavour of the week briefly at the ORP and we had dozens of games running it, most died very quickly indeed. It just treads the wrong balance between trying to be a rules lite system and having lots of rules exceptions.

Quite why they decided to try and take on d20 with their dX system is something I'll never understand. The level of abstraction away from what GoO saw as "anime" improved things slightly but it still required a large investment of time to get things put together in a way that could actually let a game work.

These days I look at a bit like a poorly put together GURPS (Which isn't too surprising as I'm fairly sure that GURPS 4 and BESM 2 shared writers).

BESM d20 is something which I've heard shockingly positive comments about considering it seems to be the merging of two entirely different design philosophies. I've not looked in to it though.

Is 3rd edition still being worked on? Or did it go up in smoke when GoO went out of business?

If you want to play something nice and high powered Exalted or Feng Shui would be your best bet.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SR4 would work pretty well for a sci-fi anime romp, if you threw out most of the matrix stuff (magic optional) and beefed up your PC's a little.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Even though I most likely won't be playing, thanks for that link to Thrash, I couldn't find it anywhere for some reason and I've wanted to look at it for a while.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    gredavin wrote:
    I own BESM 2nd Ed.

Every time I use BESM for something I end up banging my head against a brick wall. No matter what the concept is, I always end up with large areas of the rules which simply need to be rewritten in order to have it work for that style.

It was the flavour of the week briefly at the ORP and we had dozens of games running it, most died very quickly indeed. It just treads the wrong balance between trying to be a rules lite system and having lots of rules exceptions.

Quite why they decided to try and take on d20 with their dX system is something I'll never understand. The level of abstraction away from what GoO saw as "anime" improved things slightly but it still required a large investment of time to get things put together in a way that could actually let a game work.

These days I look at a bit like a poorly put together GURPS (Which isn't too surprising as I'm fairly sure that GURPS 4 and BESM 2 shared writers).

BESM d20 is something which I've heard shockingly positive comments about considering it seems to be the merging of two entirely different design philosophies. I've not looked in to it though.

Is 3rd edition still being worked on? Or did it go up in smoke when GoO went out of business?

If you want to play something nice and high powered Exalted or Feng Shui would be your best bet.

White Wolf will be publishing the third ed core but after that no one knows.

wateyad on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Even though I most likely won't be playing, thanks for that link to Thrash, I couldn't find it anywhere for some reason and I've wanted to look at it for a while.

The guy writes a web comic now, apparently. It's buried like three or four links down from his main page. He also wrote a Mascot RPG...and one about Japanese people who don't leave their house. Odd stuff.

I've got Thrash all printed out, and most all the Street Fighter RPG books. But, it looks like I'm really going to have to go look for Exalted and Feng Shui soon.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The funny thing is, I have the main Exalted book, but I've never gotten around to reading it and I'm not sure why.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]