As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] - Headbutting and Face Punching For The Fate Of Humanity!

• BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Urrrrrgh, what the fuck.

I didn't have this problem the first time around.

Thane's loyalty, when you encounter that nosy douchebag up on the catwalks, after the P/R conversation, the game just gets stuck and you can't do anything.

Can't save either so you have to do the whole thing over again.

Let's try it for the third time YAY.

BlackDove on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I'm on my second playthrough with my Sentinel, and I'm having trouble getting the
    Collector ship
    mission to trigger. I've recruited all the party members and still nothing. The ME wiki blithely mentions that apparently it won't trigger on any playthroughs except the first, which is troubling. Is it actually impossible to do more than one playthrough with the same character? I'd figure not, but...

its dependant on how many missions youve done, if you do one n7 mission or a loyalty quest it will pop up, then after youve got the
    iff, youll need to do about 5 n7/loyalty missions before you can use the omega 4 relay. (and its the same thing at the start of the game, 4 missions before horizon triggers, you could not recruit anyone at the start and just do n7 missions and then go horizon i think.. might try that next playthrough.

Deaderinred on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As bad as the Turian councilman is, in many ways it's much worse if it's an all human Council
    They won't even fucking meet with you. Granted this is with Udina in charge, so maybe it's different with Anderson

That moment with the Council made me wonder why the hell I saved them. And then I made a new character and found out the alternative is probably worse.

About ten times worse.
    You later find out Udina's practically a diplomatic disaster waiting to happen, the Turians are arming themselves for possibly conflict with humanity (Well, at least they fear us enough to want to make a bigger fleet to protect themselves.. and we know how that goes) The Asari however are lowering their rebuilding efforts, due most likely to fears of being used as cannon-fodder like they were in the Citadel battle. Meaning we see a net-loss of armies defending the Citadel, and humans have to pick up the slack, most likely putting a massive strain on our recruitment and economy.

its like that with
    anderson too, whether you pick a all human or alien council and they still refuse to see you.. felt kinda lazy

Deaderinred on
  • ArzockArzock Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "I own this room. I own you."

Arzock on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arzock wrote: »
    "I own this room. I own you."

That was totally a shot at powergamers and nerds. Especially given the volos aren't known for being skinny and having good breathing :P

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Feriluce wrote: »
    My N7 Hoodie from the Bioware store was delivered the other day. It's nice.

Man, that shows me for skimming through the threads. $60 is a bit steep for a sweatshirt though. The N7 shirts are ok, but I really wish I'd gotten the ME1 N7 shirts which look more like the hoodie with the bars on the shoulder and small left logo instead of a big center one.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Urrrrrgh, what the fuck.

Thane's loyalty, when you encounter that nosy douchebag up on the catwalks, after the P/R conversation, the game just gets stuck and you can't do anything.

Cleared your cache?

Apothe0sis on
  • ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Anyone know how far into the renegade bar you have to be to
    recruit Morinth on Samara's loyalty mission? I'm like part way into the last bar and I still can't break her love trance bullshit.

Scrum on
    edited February 2010
    Scrum wrote: »
    recruit Morinth on Samara's loyalty mission? I'm like part way into the last bar and I still can't break her love trance bullshit.
    Waste more time before talking to her by examining all the objects in the apartment first

Aegeri on
    edited February 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Urrrrrgh, what the fuck.

Cleared your cache?

Figured it out. Don't know about the cache, but the way I fixed it is: Simply don't hit the (skip conversation) button. That seems to be what locks it up.

BlackDove on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Urrrrrgh, what the fuck.

Cleared your cache?

Figured it out. Don't know about the cache, but the way I fixed it is: Simply don't hit the (skip conversation) button. That seems to be what locks it up.

I was missing thelast check-in before that point, I thought he was walking through but he actually stops to talk with someone so it was fucking up. A bit silly it can get like that but eh done.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2010
    This lockup seems to be system agnostic. On the Xbox you have to reboot the console, on the PC, you have to ctrl+alt+del out of the game.

Nasty, but at least easy to avoid.

(easy if you know how to avoid it, fucking hell I had to do the shit over three times)

BlackDove on
    edited February 2010
    Man, the European mornings are so slow when all the US people are asleep, so we're going to heat this bitch up right now, nostalgia style, /v/ inspired.

First something to set the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg
    nzna1i.jpg

2bd5xs.jpg

Do you miss me too?

BlackDove on
  • ScrumScrum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Waste more time before talking to her by examining all the objects in the apartment first
    So, I get to her apartment, look at her shit, then talk to her. I choose the renegade option for the first one, the renegade option for the second one, and on the last one it just a renegade and a paragon option blacked out and my only option is "can't think..." and then Samara comes in and kills her and I have no option to stop her.

Scrum on
    edited February 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So, I get to her apartment, look at her shit, then talk to her. I choose the renegade option for the first one, the renegade option for the second one, and on the last one it just a renegade and a paragon option blacked out and my only option is "can't think..." and then Samara comes in and kills her and I have no option to stop her.

Not sure what is happening there then. I didn't have any problems and it took me forever on my first game to get maximum paragon/renegade.

Aegeri on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    human abduction
    Was it ever answered why they're taking only humans? I know, they're building a human reaper, which being kinda cool would have been better if done in a less silly way.

But where exactly are the asari, turian, volus, drell reapers?

And for that matter it's bloody stupid that the collector's were protheans. The intimation seems to be that this is a fairly standard way of doing things, each cycle. Except the collector's haven't even been around for one cycle

So how exactly were the reapers collecting previously?

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited February 2010
    I took the Paragon option and it gave me the choice.
    human abduction
    Was it ever answered why they're taking only humans? I know, they're building a human reaper, which being kinda cool would have been better if done in a less silly way.

And for that matter it's bloody stupid that the collector's were protheans. The intimation seems to be that this is a fairly standard way of doing things, each cycle. Except the collector's haven't even been around for one cycle

The Collectors are building a new Reaper and humanity is the most genetically diverse species with tonnes of potential and the Collectors/Reapers want the best genetic material. Harbinger repeatedly says he is helping them ascend to their genetic destiny.

And the Collectors are new, the Protheans, assumedly because of their 4-strand DNA, weren't useful for converting into a Reaper or processing for what other things they may be doing with the genetic material so they repurposed them to make them useful instead.

DarkWarrior on
    edited February 2010
    Collectors are the ME version of Mi-Go really, they get turned into horrible mindless monsters by the reapers for their own purposes. It's possible the reapers wanted to do more with the protheans, but instead simply enslaved them as a new breed of collectors. It's feasible they had other races perform this function in the past and change it around when required.

Aegeri on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I want a Fan Made Music Video of Fem Shep and Wrex to the tune of "I Need a Hero" or "Holding Out for a Hero".

Apothe0sis on
  • I am PacalI am Pacal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Am I the only one who is bummed that a lesbian FemShep cannot make a pass at
    Miranda, Jack or Tali? All I've got is Kelly. This means I cannot get the paramour achievement as Kelly is not part of my team...

It also does not make much sense.
    So maybe Miranda is straight but Jack should be ready for some girl-on-girl action. She even talks about doing threesomes in her past. And Tali gives me some lines about how she feels close to me but the problem is that I'm not Quarian... But she has no problems boning a MaleShep.

I am Pacal on
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just finished up
    The abandoned Reaper ship
    on insanity. Using the engineer was tough at first, but ever since I learned to just burn everything life has gotten much simpler. Armored husks aren't really that big of a deal when fire is applied liberally.

Maybe it's time to try killing those damn sidequest mechs from the beginning of the game.

e: tSilky
    I was under the impression that the reapers used humans because of Shepard. It was a human that first managed to actually defeat one of them, after all. Why would they want to make a version of themselves based on the crappy races they routinely run over?

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
    edited February 2010
    I am Pacal wrote: »
    Miranda, Jack or Tali? All I've got is Kelly. This means I cannot get the paramour achievement as Kelly is not part of my team...

So maybe Miranda is straight but Jack should be ready for some girl-on-girl action. She even talks about doing threesomes in her past. And Tali gives me some lines about how she feels close to me but the problem is that I'm not Quarian... But she has no problems boning a MaleShep.

We can't have homosexuals in our games, because they are filthy ungodly creatures that exploit and seduce our children into thinking that "It's okay because it's reasonable and natural", while it's obviously not, and you will burn in hell if you practice homosexuality or condone it.

The bible says so.

BlackDove on
    edited February 2010
    Apothe0sis on
  • I am PacalI am Pacal Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The bible says so.

The Bibble? I should seek out this Bibble fellow and give him a good spanking.

Lesbian FemShep's reunion with
    Liara
    was also a bit underwhelming. After all, I am your lover who has been lost and presumed dead for two years. How about some mind-blowing sex right now, right here? No? Just a little kiss? What the hell?

I am Pacal on
    edited February 2010
    The company line made it clear that Liara is an alien, and therefore there are no ungodly homosexual shenanigans going on in this pure white snowflake innocent game without such grotesque underpinnings.

BlackDove on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, the European mornings are so slow when all the US people are asleep, so we're going to heat this bitch up right now, nostalgia style, /v/ inspired.

First something to set the mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg
    nzna1i.jpg

2bd5xs.jpg

Do you miss me too?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    edited February 2010
    I have tears streaming down my cheeks from the laughter.

Thank you for that.

BlackDove on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    human abduction

The Collectors are building a new Reaper and humanity is the most genetically diverse species with tonnes of potential and the Collectors/Reapers want the best genetic material. Harbinger repeatedly says he is helping them ascend to their genetic destiny.

And the Collectors are new, the Protheans, assumedly because of their 4-strand DNA, weren't useful for converting into a Reaper or processing for what other things they may be doing with the genetic material so they repurposed them to make them useful instead.
    We're the most genetically diverse? Why would that be good or bad. Why would it even be significant? What, in fact, would it even mean?

I'd buy the assumption of the collectors simply filling a role that'd been filled by other species previously, but it just seems out of place.

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited February 2010
    Heatwave wrote: »

I didn't finish the first game for 2 weeks (stopped playing it) because that happened to me on the final level about 50 feet or so from the final part. It just wigged out and I was sent flying all over the place to my doom, even though I didn't hit anything.

I also got sent hundreds of feet in the air and died instantly as well when I fell into the most beautifully timed thresher maw emergence you could imagine.
    human abduction

We're the most genetically diverse? Why would that be good or bad. Why would it even be significant? What, in fact, would it even mean?

I'd buy the assumption of the collectors simply filling a role that'd been filled by other species previously, but it just seems out of place.
    I assume this is something that will be dealt with in ME3

Aegeri on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    human abduction

They call Turians too primitive and Krogans a waste of potential, so there's something very specific about humans that they ...appreciate, and want to keep. The only unique traits we've heard in relation to the human race is that we're genetically diverse. Since the Reapers seem to be all about preserving some dominant species legacy, they figured the most genetically diverse one was probably the one to pick. They also obviously have some personal interest in Shepard, which might have coloured this decision a bit, since Harbinger keeps mentioning a lot of personal stuff towards Shepard when he fights - and they didn't start collecting humans specifically until Shepard had destroyed Sovereign.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I just wanted to say something about the loading time bug. Apparently on dual and quad processors under Win7 x64 the Unreal engine fucks stuff up and loading becomes horrid. I'm one of poor bastards effected. The elevator in [insert main ship name here] takes me ~30 s to load between floors. Loading between missions is insane.

This can be fixed by alttabbing and setting the affinity from the task manager to allow the game to use only one core.

Now my loading is reduced from 30 to 5 s and I'm a happy panda. I haven't looked at other loading times yet but I expect them all to be reduced similarly.

Maybe put info in OP? I dunno.

Movitz on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think this is the first time I ever caught up with a ME thread. Nice.

I don't know what to say, a million things are going through my head about this game and all the debates about it. I love it so much.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I am Pacal wrote: »

Yeah, it's a disappointment. Just don't let Fiaryn catch you, or he'll try to claim that there's no such thing as a lesbian FemShep because Asari aren't female.

I think this is actually something Bioware stated.

BlackDove on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Asari aren't 'female', except for the fact that every Asari is referred to with female pronouns. The Codex refers to them as an all female race, as well.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    and they look female

and sound female

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited February 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    human abduction

They call Turians too primitive and Krogans a waste of potential, so there's something very specific about humans that they ...appreciate, and want to keep. The only unique traits we've heard in relation to the human race is that we're genetically diverse. Since the Reapers seem to be all about preserving some dominant species legacy, they figured the most genetically diverse one was probably the one to pick. They also obviously have some personal interest in Shepard, which might have coloured this decision a bit, since Harbinger keeps mentioning a lot of personal stuff towards Shepard when he fights - and they didn't start collecting humans specifically until Shepard had destroyed Sovereign.
    humanity is genetically diverse and thus has hte most potential, they're capable of being super dumb and super smart, growing stronger, faster, evolving, adapting and overcoming and they have distinct physiological differences, tall, short, whatever so you can presumably do a lot with a species that has that kind of genetic potential.

Turians/Krogans/Asari for instance all look fairly hte same, have little physical diversity and have been on the space stage for ages and yet have seemingly done very little compared to how fast humanity has moved.

DarkWarrior on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And they smell of female greatness and wind![/Volus]

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    argument regarding humans, genes and collectors:
    genetic diversity was never stated as a reason for taking humans. furthermore, it could be quite possible that the collectors will process every race in the same fashion. Shepard blowing up naz/sov messed up the cycle a bit, but from what you gather from vigil you know that planets are isolated and no one knows exactly what happens to the people.

Also if you look at the reapers in the end sequence, they share a similar shape but still have different heads or arms. I'm guessing the general shape is common amongst all reapers but the face and arm bits aren't.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    edited February 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    human abduction

humanity is genetically diverse and thus has hte most potential, they're capable of being super dumb and super smart, growing stronger, faster, evolving, adapting and overcoming and they have distinct physiological differences, tall, short, whatever so you can presumably do a lot with a species that has that kind of genetic potential.

Turians/Krogans/Asari for instance all look fairly hte same, have little physical diversity and have been on the space stage for ages and yet have seemingly done very little compared to how fast humanity has moved.

Yeah, Mordin says all of this on his loyalty quest when you happen upon a human corpse halfway through.

BlackDove on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Mordin also delivers a smack down to racists when he does -
    - that the genetic diversity isn't to do with humans looking different, that those are only superficial differences.

electricitylikesme on