As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

X-Men Thread: Regenesis is here, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    He's back in the ether I think?

Langly on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So whatever happened to Nate Grey? I'm assuming he didn't turn into Teen Wolf.
    According to Wikipedia, after he was knocked out of Osborn's head, Nate got tortured and sent off to be the latest battery for Omega's refueling machine.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST READ DARK X-MEN

Furu on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Furu wrote: »

Ew.

desc on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    desc wrote: »
    Furu wrote: »

Ew.
    Somewhere Paul Cornell is crying, and doesn't know why.

Munch on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The only X-book I read is X-Men Forever (I'd have gotten X-Factor Forever last week but I still have a backlog of stuff I haven't read and I was never that into X-Factor in the 80s).

That said, I couldn't help notice that all the commentary about him stopped once #5 finally came out, so it must have been a lousy ending. And if Owenashi's post is right then it was that bad.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It was bad. I think all the real Nate Grey fans (and by that, I mean NOT TLB) shed a tear at the end of Dark X-Men, since we'll probably never see Nate's actual fate for years.

Hensler on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Whilce Portacio's pencils in the preview aren't that good.

I give the guy a lot of slack because the first comic I ever read was his art, but the #522 preview isn't wowing me.

I have about 9 billion questions about this. I'm not the most regular comic reader, but I have a decent grasp of the basic powersets of the primary X-Men and read Joss' Astonshing run (it actually was what pulled me back into comics at all).

Still, there's a whole bunch of things that don't make sense, even for comics, in that preview.

1) We can assume that since the bullet was phased due to Kitty's powers, that it wouldn't actually lose momentum due to their being absolutely no form of resistance affecting it. I don't have Astonishing on hand, but it only took.. what? a few hours for it to reach Earth from Breakworld? Given that Breakworld is clearly not the nearest star system to Earth, and that it has been at least a year or so (Im fuzzy with comic book timelines but we've gone through M-Day, Civil War, Secret Invasion AND Dark Reign since Unstoppable.. so at the very very least a year probably more), how freakin' far away must the bullet be? Magneto can really affect something that far away? That seems... alot more powerful than he's ever been. We're talking about him grabbing something thats probably halfway across the galaxy.

2) I'm surprised Magneto can even affect the bullet with it being phased and all.

3) Going back to the time/distance stuff in point 1, isn't Scott being a little jumpy about the bullet turning around? Again, how far away must the bullet be at this point? Magneto would have to significantly speed up the bullet in order to get it back to Earth in any sort of short timeframe.

APODionysus on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, why the hell would you only read the Claremont going insane book? Forever is just terrible.

Although honestly, I can't even remember which ones I like. I liked Dark X-Men, I remember that, but my dad is a collector so we've got like 8 different X-related books that neither of us even really enjoy coming in every month. Every once in a while there's a good story.

We are what is wrong with comics.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    X-Men Forever is the only X book that is still fun to read - I don't know why people hate on it.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    There's a lot of wrong going on in this thread.

Furu on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So #522 was ok, the science team getting a chewing out by Reed Richards was the highlight of the issue, but I think I might be misunderstanding the silent pages at the end of the main story because of Portacio's art

Why is Scott all down in the dumps? It's like, ok, Kitty's back, why so sad and sitting in a dark room, I thought you outgrew this stuff?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    desc wrote: »
    So, X-Factor forever. What do you guys think?

I grabbed it for the art and I'm sort of on the fence about the writing and the tone of the dialog and the nonstop thought bubbles.

On the one hand, it sounds appropriate to the period circa X-factor #63. On the other hand, it feels sort of stilted to me, especially alongside the hip art.

Regardless, I do like these sorts of fanservice little series when they happen to target my personal interests, so I'll probably grab the series and the trade, if they do a hardcover.

For me, X-Factor Forever was pretty chock full of awesome. I actually went out to buy the Essential trades just so I could do some catching up.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So #522 was ok, the science team getting a chewing out by Reed Richards was the highlight of the issue, but I think I might be misunderstanding the silent pages at the end of the main story because of Portacio's art

Why is Scott all down in the dumps? It's like, ok, Kitty's back, why so sad and sitting in a dark room, I thought you outgrew this stuff?

Dude, it's an X-book. Angst is par for the course.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Even then it should be someone else taking a sip from the fountain of angst (also known as RC Cola). Scott can trap the Void in his mind, cowboy up, yo.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    That's what Scott does. Beast is smart, Warren is rich, Jean is hot, Bobby is funny, Scott is angsty.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Scott was angtsy, he grew up in Morrison's run. Now he's the leader, telling his flock to gather lima beans.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Scott was angtsy, he grew up in Morrison's run. Now he's the leader, telling his flock to gather lima beans.

However, as we all know, character development under one writer does not always transfer to the next one.

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Solar wrote: »

However, as we all know, character development under one writer does not always transfer to the next one.

Especially if that development was in Morrison's run. I think Marvel would like to pretend that whole thing never happened, except for the trade sales. The fact that it still sales well today should tell Marvel something, though.

Hensler on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    To be fair, is was quite obvious the whole Xorn thing was going to be a mess before Marvel execs realize exactly what had happened to Magneto.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    What we need is an alternate universe with every writer.
    So bad ideas don't get continue.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Man, why the hell would you only read the Claremont going insane book? Forever is just terrible.

Because
    Hensler wrote: »
    X-Men Forever is the only X book that is still fun to read

Also because he was the only person writing Uncanny when I read it, and then I came back to it during Messiah Complex and... No thanks. I am the exact person X-Men Forever was written for (as opposed to X-Factor, which like I've said I was never really into).

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I liked Xorn, and I personally wouldn't mind if they found a way to re-include him. Before he Magneto'd of course.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

My thoughts:
    I think because both Kitty and Magneto are still shelved and extremely questionable and that Scott is somewhat responsible. Plus, because Magneto saved Kitty, not Scott.

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, they kind of did forget about Kitty for a few years. You'd think that they could've asked the Fantastic Four for help...

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    they...

they did, guy

they did in the original story that she was lost

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Like Mr. Fantastic couldn't plot the trajectory of a mass that has no other propellents? The aliens knew enough physics to shoot the damn thing at Earth. Reed Richards should have been able to figure it out. Heck, I think I could've figured it out.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Plotting it wasn't the problem. Everyone knew where it was pretty much at all times.

Maybe you should read the story, instead of making baseless complaints!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, I went back and read it. Still...

Maybe whatever explanation they give for how Magneto saved her will satisfy her. However I'm trade waiting on it, so I've got a while to find out.

cshadow42 on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kitty comes back but Peter still can't get laid.
    They are probably using the machine made by Reed Richard and Dr Doom to reintegrate Kitty back like some 20+ years ago after the Mutant Massacre Event in FF vs X-Men.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I love how these days Kitty getting perma-phased elicits nothing more from us than "she'll get fixed with science soon enough."

Solar on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just hope they don't drag this out for a hella long time. I've got enough of the whole X-Men "tragic forbidden lover" theme from Gambit and Rouge.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kitty and Pete Wisdom was always better, Peter should go find his kid he fathered in the Savage Land.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Kitty and Pete Wisdom was always better, Peter should go find his kid he fathered in the Savage Land.

I thought the entire point of that relationship is that they were terrible for each other

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Anything with Pete Wisdom is guaranteed to be better than anything without Pete Wisdom. My dream book is an international espionage thriller with Pete Wisdom and US Agent saving the world from super evolved dinosaur terrorists.

Hensler on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I read this past week's Uncanny and I feel like I should be more excited but I don't care that much.

I think I might have been more pumped if I understood what actually happened when she appeared and plopped onto the ground in the middle of the X-Men. The entire thing seemed awfully vague.

Oh well.

desc on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Anything with Pete Wisdom is guaranteed to be better than anything without Pete Wisdom. My dream book is an international espionage thriller with Pete Wisdom and US Agent saving the world from super evolved dinosaur terrorists.

House of W would be the best possible idea for Marvel's next big event

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

while this is a good idea

my USAgent/US-1 commie smashing road trip book is so much better

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2010
    they are going to use the HX-N1 virus to take away Kitty's powers and then use ____ to give them back

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    they are going to use the HX-N1 virus to take away Kitty's powers and then use ____ to give them back

If this happens I owe you a pizza.

Furu on