Options

X-Men Thread: Regenesis is here, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I thought that was Storm holding a couple swords until I read the roster.

Gambit isn't wearing a pink metallic shirt anymore?

Where did the 90's go!? :(

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Is Astonishing going to switch back and forth between Cyc and Logan's team each arc?

Because that is kind of a neat idea.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

DC.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:

DC.

Zing!

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    Is Astonishing going to switch back and forth between Cyc and Logan's team each arc?

Because that is kind of a neat idea.

From what I understand, no. This will be the team for the "foreseeable future"

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    This isn't a shot at Liu or Perkins, but man is Astonishing firmly in that "we don't care" position at Marvel. I thought Pak and McKone were the new regular team, but now it seems like nothing more than a Superman/Batman method now of rotating teams on a once flagship book. Out of all the books in Marvel's lineup, it's the easiest book to cut to strengthen the X-Men brand, especially with a big event coming up.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Yeah Astonishing doesn't really seem like a big deal

That said, I'd say that about X-Factor but people seem to fucking love that

• Options
    edited December 2011
    X-Factor has a mission statement kinda, noir book with mutants.

Astonishing has had no real statement since Whedon. It doesn't even work as the easy access book anymore. When Marvel did Xenogenesis that at least gave it some direction, a miniseries to jump into. If Astonishing went a series of minis route, that at least makes sense.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    X-Factor is only tangentially related to the "X-Men brand" though. It's not a big deal to mutant politics and what Scott and Wolverine want to do, but it marches to the beat of its own drum and is usually better for it

do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    while I agree that Astonishing lost a lot of steam since Whedon's run, that is an interesting line up. I havent picked that book up in a long time, but the roster alone has me intrigued.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    What's the deal with Hellion? I know he lost his hands and has those fake ones, but sometimes he's drawn as being amputated just below the shoulder and sometimes at the wrist. Which one's the "correct" one?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The original injury in second coming only depicted his hands being destroyed

However, in Age of X, it was drawn as closer to above the elbow

and because that was a weird alternate reality thing, maybe that's how it is now?

Or maybe artists just suck!

Faynor on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Marvel's official page has the March X-book solicits:

http://marvel.com/news/story/17839/first_look_x-men_march_solicitations

Looks like Astonishing is not crossing over into A vs. X-men so that's good. Uncanny X-Force looks like it will be though due to the whole revamped Age of Apocalypse story happening in a separate ongoing. Deadpool might be coming in late as well, if at all. The X-Factor solicit is pretty ambiguous but I'm sure PAD will figure out a way to weave in his stuff with A vs. X-men. So all in all it looks like 10 X-books will tie-in to the event, with the 4 Avengers books and the sister book that's 15 books total.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    So yeah

Uncanny X-Force fucking ruled this week, as ever

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    So yeah

Uncanny X-Force fucking ruled this week, as ever

Yep.

• Options
    So I finally picked up the Wolverine Goes to Hell paperback today. Will probably read it in one sitting.

• Options
    I have only picked up the Jason Aaron trades of Wolverine that my LCS has had for half off.

Which right now means I have the Adamantium Men, and that latter this week I will have Wolverine vs The X-Men.

I've heard that his stories after the Weapon X series have been a little uneven. How well do these all stand alone, and should I try to fill any of the gaps in my collection?

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    I have only picked up the Jason Aaron trades of Wolverine that my LCS has had for half off.

Which right now means I have the Adamantium Men, and that latter this week I will have Wolverine vs The X-Men.

I've heard that his stories after the Weapon X series have been a little uneven. How well do these all stand alone, and should I try to fill any of the gaps in my collection?

Take the money you'd spend on Jason Aaron Wolverine trades and buy Uncanny X-Force trades/singles.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuest wrote:

Take the money you'd spend on Jason Aaron Wolverine trades and buy Uncanny X-Force trades/singles.

Better idea, buy both.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Community meets X-Men! Check the guy's website throughout the week for more reveals

community-x_4.jpg

Britta as Jean is brilliant. Shirley will probably be Storm, Abed is Nightcrawler, Dean or Chang as Xavier.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    but but that's cyclops' ultimate universe costume.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Cyclops will wear anything that sports his body and shows off his hairstyle that he took hours to make look like he doesn't care.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I have a feeling the giant head in the back is gonna be like Snowman style head Iceman for some reason ( but could be shirley or abed )

Dean would fit perfectly as Xavier ( in look if not in sanity).

Chang should be Toad.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Remender on Uncanny X-Force from here on out, and stuff about Dark Angel saga. Spoilers, of course.

I really enjoy his line about Wolverine being written as uber powerful in the past, and also the ending to Dark Angel saga how it works a lot better as published. No Deathlok for a while though.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote:
    Remender on Uncanny X-Force from here on out, and stuff about Dark Angel saga. Spoilers, of course.

I really enjoy his line about Wolverine being written as uber powerful in the past, and also the ending to Dark Angel saga how it works a lot better as published. No Deathlok for a while though.

Shame about no Deathlok for a while, but it does sound like the upcoming stuff will be really cool, so I'll survive.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    So Beast finds out about Wolverine's hit squad in this week's X-Force. Doesn't immediately pack up.

Huh.

And Wolverine makes the same choices that many decry Cyclops for. Genesis and Angel Reborn are X-Men problems.

I'm enjoying most of the X-Men line now, but many things just don't work when taken together. On the bright side, Ultimaton is staying! Wheee! I look forward to seeing what Remender does with him.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's not a fault of Remender's really, because X-Force was an incredibly strong cool down issue and Wade's toilet paper talk is fascinating, but it really does feel like the X-editors are picking and choosing how to make the characters act when given two very similar instances, just one is Wolverine, the other is Cyclops. That's the kind of stuff that directly messes with Wolverine's plan for the school as well.

Generation Hope #14 was really good, as Martha gets a new body, and it works in showing how lies always come back to bite you in the butt. And the Cyclops death pool should be a running gag on the blue team's side.

I didn't buy WatXM#3 but I see there were three artist and about 10 inkers, so at least both main books are fubar'd when it comes to having a stable artist. Until Greg Lands stacks the deck at least.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    I didn't buy WatXM#3 but I see there were three artist and about 10 inkers, so at least both main books are fubar'd when it comes to having a stable artist. Until Greg Lands stacks the deck at least.

Decent issue mostly firming up Wolverine's quirky cast of kids.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Welp, everyone kind of knew it already but I think this is the first time someone confirmed Hope's powers/origin in-comic:
    prv10888_pg5.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Is Age of X worth reading? I haven't read anything else of Mike Carey's X-run, and it's unlikely that I will outside of his messiah tie-in issues.

• Options
    I wouldn't say it's worth reading by its lonesome, no. It had an interesting premise that ends up being somewhat referential?

Without spoiling it, what I wanted out of it (which was mainly just a really interesting alternate reality story) and what I got out of it were two different things.

• Options
    So I can probably skip it?

I'm going to order Second Coming and Schism with Christmas money (and I broke down and got all of Aaron's Wolverine runs), so I was wondering if I should toss Age of X in as well.

And yesss, I will get Uncanny X-Force sometime down the line when the whole Dark Angel saga is out in trade.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Is Sebastian Shaw an X-Man now?

• Options
    The X-Men are doing a good job on converting their old baddies to the good guys side these days aren't they?

Makes you wonder if at some point they are going to run out of villains. We just had Apocalypse (basically) and Sinister is around right now, wonder who will be used next?

Anyway, that makes me wonder, how come nobody in the X-Men is wondering where the hell Warren has gone? Hasn't Beast, Scott or Bobby at the very least asked about the whereabouts of their old friend? Or was that covered an I missed it. Since X-Force dealt with him but, you know, they are all secret and stuff.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Warren was bank-rolling the X-Men as well, wasn't he?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    The X-Men are doing a good job on converting their old baddies to the good guys side these days aren't they?

Makes you wonder if at some point they are going to run out of villains. We just had Apocalypse (basically) and Sinister is around right now, wonder who will be used next?

Anyway, that makes me wonder, how come nobody in the X-Men is wondering where the hell Warren has gone? Hasn't Beast, Scott or Bobby at the very least asked about the whereabouts of their old friend? Or was that covered an I missed it. Since X-Force dealt with him but, you know, they are all secret and stuff.
    Well uh
    they straight up told Beast and everyone about Warren in the latest UXF issue

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Is Sebastian Shaw an X-Man now?

Yes and No, but not to the one's you think..
    He's sorta joining Hope's team of Xmen, but he's been mind wiped fairly heavily, so he doesn't know who he is, so he's not really Shaw in a way at the moment.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Warren was bank-rolling the X-Men as well, wasn't he?

He was when they were actually based in San Francisco proper, but now it seems really vague. We do know Emma has leveraged her assets to keep Utopia afloat. Maybe sell a few X-Club devices to make more bank too.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Well uh
    they straight up told Beast and everyone about Warren in the latest UXF issue

Oh yeah

Excuse me, I'm going to go and have my memory checked

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Astonishing #45 was a good Cyclops is Batman issue that shows why he's a leader, but the main threat still feels rather generic and dull. And while the alternate versions of the X-Men are fun to see, the whole reason they are there together is rather boring and there is one scene that tries really hard to have some emotional weight but it doesn't because we've never met these people (the room with the visors).

Legacy #260 was a really good end for Carey's run, he fixes all his little subplots, Korvus goes away in the easiest way possible, and Rogue and Magneto were going at it a lot more than Carey hinted at ten issues earlier. It pulled the same junk Uncanny did in trying to make Cyclops be so out of place now that he's not self-doubting himself all the time that it means he's some egotistical maniac, which is the furthest thing from the truth. He's just done what he had to do to keep mutants alive.

And Uncanny #3 was a better issue than the second, and made the X-Tinction team really feel like the strongest team on the planet. Gillen actually writes Cyclops as a good guy sticking by his belief to protect everyone, and that humans just shouldn't mess with them (that last page was really nice). The art only really looked good with the Celestials scene, everything else looks just generic Marvel house style. It's the style that's good for maybe a book like Legacy or a lower tier title, but for the flagship X-Men book? No dice.

What I'm really getting out of the way Cyclops is talked about by the other X-Men (and some fans), on both sides, is that Cyclops has grown as a character in ten years so much more than the twenty years prior that it feels like Marvel is going to put that characterization genie back in the bottle too with Avengers vs. X-Men, which would just be stupid to do.

TexiKen on