Options

X-Men Thread: Regenesis is here, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Bendis is spotty, but I'm pretty sure Aaron, Hickman, Brubaker and Fraction won't bastardize Scott's character growth in A vs. X-men. They're too good of writers to do that.

And yes I know the thing with Brubaker and Zemo. My point stands.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=3922&page=6

X-Club preview

Dr Nemesis is, for once, lost for words!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    X-Club is so much fun, I can't wait!, Nemesis is written so well lately.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Man, Uncanny #4 was just.....bad. It's a story told from the Phalanx's point of view, and it tries so hard to make you feel sympathy for it, but eff that. It really feels like a story you would get in an Annual in the 90's, as though maybe Marvel realized Pacheco couldn't do a four issue opening arc, so they cut it to three and had this made at the last second, which is why we had that out of the blue Phalanx line from Sinister last issue. The X-Men don't really get any screentime until the end, and they don't talk that much until a speech between Cyclops and Storm at the end. There is only one good part where Colossus really takes to the idea that he's completely given in to Cytorrak but by God he's going to do good with the power. It works really well because it's Peter being completely selfless.

Brandon Peterson's art is fine, but I liked his style on Ultimate X-Men better. And now we have Land showing up, blah, what a bad way to start the new year for the book.

X-Club #2 was really good, and strikes the right balance between crazy science and humor. Nemesis gets some humility against his will, this new Jeffries/Danger relationship is rather interesting, as is hologram elevators, and Rao actually feels like a decent character as opposed to a holdover from Whedon's run. This is the best X-Book at the moment.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The Jean Grey School is now on twitter: @JeanGreySchool

Includes a link to buy RL school tees.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Woo Gardener Doop!

Between X-Club and WatXM, it's a great time to be an Xmen fan.

Guessing the silhouettes are
    Kid Apocalypse, and Mind Wiped Warren?

Edit: Those Tweets, are great!

"All classes are on schedule, with the exception of Headmaster Logan’s Art of Fighting Without Fighting. He somewhere fighting, we presume."

"Lunch today is Professor Guthrie’s famous Fried Chicken (with a vegetarian option of fried breadcrumbs)."

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Holy shit Uncanny #4. I was this close to dropping it, but if Gillen can keep writing that well, I'm in for a very long time.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Really? I thought it was terrible. What exactly did you like about it?

• Options
    Unlike TexiKen above I let the sympathy draw me in, and it worked really well.

I think the Phalanx character was well-written, and the pacing got across its alien nature well without sacrificing any tension or movement. The page in the girl's bedroom was one of the best things I've read so far in my backlog.

Maybe that's the problem: I like Gillen's writing a lot, but I don't like the Extinction Team. I may be keeping this for snatches of Illyana and Hope, until AvX rolls over.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    I like Gillen's writing too, and I'm enjoying UXM

Though I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to like Hope or not. I don't (as a person, she's quite a cool character), but to what extent that is intentional I dunno. Perhaps it's neither, and she's just there, which would be fair enough.

• Options
    Yeah. I'm just thinking I might be better served picking up Gen Hope trades, since I really really like Hope.

I think Hope's utter ruthlessness can be very disarming.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Well Gen Hope is pretty good, and written by Gillen.

The thing about Hope is that she is really ruthless, not very nice, and the relationship between her and her team is not entirely natural, which seems like it is going to come to a head in the next few issues with a few of the team really not being happy about the current situation. She's actually a bit of an awful person (in my opinion), but that surprised me and I think it's something interesting that adds to the character so she's not just a mutant messiah, but has something beyond that.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Exactly Solar that's what I was saying Gen Hope trades would be Gillen and Hope and abloooblbloo thpppppbt :p

There's nothing like that moment with Hope and Transonic from Regenesis to go, yeah, something is wildly fucked here. I hope (sic) she does well for herself, though.

Also! Thinking about Gen Hope is making me realize that there's some strong parallels between the Phalanx stuff in Uncanny #4 and Idie's trip through the mutant museum in Gen Hope...13? Gillen has a strong talent for taking the reader out of their usual position and planting them firmly in another character's shoes, then turning that forward into a recalculation of the norms they came from. (Think of Idie's response to Rachel Summers, or the Phalanx being breaking down with its friend.)

That's good stuff - things you don't see every day in comics - and it makes Gillen really worthwhile.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, he is a pretty great writer. One of my favorites in the industry right now.

As regards to Transonic I think she is really cool (and she has a great look when she goes at super-speed and morphs into a rad looking dragon/bird/fish/snake person). I like how she knows something is up with Hope but is being forced to go along with what she says because of the psychic woogedie-woo, and hopefully (ho ho) at some point she will super-sonic-punch Hope in the mouth and become Queen of the World.

Gen Hope is a weird book for me, I don't like the main character as a person so I find myself really empathizing with the rest of the team, though at the same time I'm not really a fan of Velocidad or Idie. But then, Transonic and Teon are so cool that I want to keep reading just to see more from them, and Kenji is just weird and amoral enough for me to be interested in finding out what he does next, without being too freaky.

So yeah, I like half the book but the other half kind of annoys me, which is keeping me interested and buying so I guess well done Kieron Gillen.

Solar on
  • Options
    I mean seriously

So fucking cool

23j4hl0.jpg

• Options
    Christ what that is awesome

I had not seen Transonic do that in any of the issues I have

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Her body adapts for super-speed and flight, and the faster she goes the more it morphs. So when she goes really, really fast to get Idie out of a bad situation, her body shifts and changes as she does so. It's really cool, she's flying up and you can see her features smoothing over, her limbs growing stabilizing fins and so on, and then when she stops you get that.

I love it, personally. It's just a great design.

• Options
    I read the first Generation Hope trade last week and didn't care for it outside of issue #5, which was really good in setting up just what the lights would do. The fight with Kenji went on about two issues too long, and there was quite a bit of wasted pages just to convey the point that Kenji is crazy.

So I can't recommend issues #1-4 but would say start with #5 and that's that, because the team interacting with the X-Men is good stuff. It also shows that Hank really is an ass the way he wrote that letter to Hope. I know people don't like Cyclops now under the belief he's an ass, but I would say Hank's had more of a character problem since leaving the X-Men than Scott has, because he's just kind of coming across as a really passive aggressive chump who is picking and choosing who to be outraged over. Wolverine and Scott seemed to have a much more amicable split so far, and they nearly killed each other fighting over the last ice cream sandwich.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Don't forget his jealous ex-girlfriend moment when he went back to Utopia and handed Scott all those photographs in the last issue of Uncanny. Hank is really being stupid, but he is coming into his own again in WatXM.

Edit: Really, if Hank's not frankenstein's monstering it up in either the body horror or crazy science aspects, he's adrift. Way too "I'm smarter than all of you."

That said, it was nice to see him humanized in Regenesis.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    TexiKen wrote:
    I read the first Generation Hope trade last week and didn't care for it outside of issue #5, which was really good in setting up just what the lights would do. The fight with Kenji went on about two issues too long, and there was quite a bit of wasted pages just to convey the point that Kenji is crazy.

So I can't recommend issues #1-4 but would say start with #5 and that's that, because the team interacting with the X-Men is good stuff.

I know it's not in the first trade, but issue #8 is a must for Generation Hope. It's a fantastic Teon story, and Kenji and Transonic get some good material too (basically, it focuses on all the best parts of the cast).

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Man, Uncanny #4 was just.....bad. It's a story told from the Phalanx's point of view, and it tries so hard to make you feel sympathy for it, but eff that.

Eh, it worked for me.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wolverine and X-Men: Alpha and Omega was pretty good, but as someone that hasn't kept up with X-men in forever, I'm still not sure what Quentin is doing in the school. And god I hate him as a character.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Wolverine and the X-Men #4 was a good issue, a real step up from the other issues. It will spoil Uncanny X-Force for you if you trade wait that, but everyone's buying it in singles, right? It's only got a bit of over the top wacky for the sake of wacky moments, mainly in the first three pages. After that it's just a good set up for the series now. Bobby being an adult was nice to see. There's only one scene I didn't care for, and that's a future scene where we see grown up students from the school. I just don't care for alternate timeline stuff, and future Idie. I do hope there will be something beyond a "twist" we might get
    that Warren is the bad guy despite acting like an Angel and looking so innocent, and Genesis is still a good guy despite everyone freaking out about him being Apocalypse

Bradshaw's art is so much better than Bachalo's, and there's a lot of panels, and no cheating either when it comes to reused panels, hopefully he can draw three issues without a fill-in.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote:
    Wolverine and X-Men: Alpha and Omega was pretty good, but as someone that hasn't kept up with X-men in forever, I'm still not sure what Quentin is doing in the school. And god I hate him as a character.

Last chance to reform or Steve Rogers will have him locked up on the Raft, basically.

@TexiKen Bachalo isn't drawing the next three? Boo : (

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    TexiKen wrote:
    Wolverine and the X-Men #4 was a good issue, a real step up from the other issues. It will spoil Uncanny X-Force for you if you trade wait that, but everyone's buying it in singles, right? It's only got a bit of over the top wacky for the sake of wacky moments, mainly in the first three pages. After that it's just a good set up for the series now. Bobby being an adult was nice to see. There's only one scene I didn't care for, and that's a future scene where we see grown up students from the school. I just don't care for alternate timeline stuff, and future Idie. I do hope there will be something beyond a "twist" we might get
    that Warren is the bad guy despite acting like an Angel and looking so innocent, and Genesis is still a good guy despite everyone freaking out about him being Apocalypse

Bradshaw's art is so much better than Bachalo's, and there's a lot of panels, and no cheating either when it comes to reused panels, hopefully he can draw three issues without a fill-in.

I really enjoyed the future stuff, and makes it feel more like a "classic" run of X-Men. I reelly enjoyed the Deathlok class room scene.

Also, I do not like the cover to Issue 5. Looks really "gross".

UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    WatXM 4 was pretty cool, but I was kind of surprised to see all the X-Force aftermath stuff playing into it.

It was all stuff I knew from this forum, but I've been trade waiting X-Force (probably beyond that; I can barely afford my singles right now). It was just weird to see so much from a side series bleed into a flagship book, especially when the first few issues felt like such a clean break from continuity because of how well they introduced all the students and the status quo. It just didn't have all the new reader friendliness the series had so far, even though it covered all of the bases.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Are all the current X books available on comiXology? I want to read all the Regenesis stuff, well except for the "main" X-men book but I guess I can get the A vs. X-men tie-ins for it. So far I've seen Uncanny, WatXmen, and Legacy.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    All the X-Men books post Regenesis are on Comixology.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I want more of my comics to be live tweeted.

Also, more subtle shout-outs to other comics:
    photobucket-4842-1326360330682.jpg

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    A bunch of sketches to the next couple of Wolverine and the X-Men issues http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/01/11/wolverine-x-men-nick-bradshaw-interview-artwork/

Looks amazing O_O

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    A bunch of sketches to the next couple of Wolverine and the X-Men issues http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/01/11/wolverine-x-men-nick-bradshaw-interview-artwork/

Looks amazing O_O

It does, but someone should tell Bradshaw that Colossus shaved his head.

• Options
    Also ugh Bradshaw draws Idie in all the worst ways.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Yeah, his Idie bugs me a lot

• Options
    I was really depressed when I saw Future Idie. Like, seriously, you take a girl with that much potential and make her generic super heroine #19,226?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh man I just want to hug Evan so much

• Options
    Is Evan the child version of the superhero whose name I cannot remember?

Cause yeah he is doing a good job of fighting Idie for saddest pupil.

Also jeez Warren with the dog thing. Poor kids.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Evan is kid apocalypse aka Genesis

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Arivia wrote:
    Is Evan the child version of the superhero whose name I cannot remember?

Cause yeah he is doing a good job of fighting Idie for saddest pupil.

Also jeez Warren with the dog thing. Poor kids.

Really important Uncanny X-Force Spoilers...
    Evan is Genesis, a clone of Apocalypse grown in a gestation tank by Fantomex to defeat Dark Angel and prove that even a monster like Apocalypse could have been a great hero. He doesn't know he is a clone of Apocalypse, he believes he was raised on a farm in Kansas by a kindly old couple, and that Fantomex is his Uncle Custer who taught him to use his powers. He's a lovely kid who desperately wants to help people and do the right thing, but has the spectre of Apocalypse hanging over his shoulder. I think he's great and I really hope he doesn't become a villain because that would make me cry.

Solar on