As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting a PS3; need purchasing advice

13»

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And it's not like creatures really wander around much. If you clear an area it stays clear, besides maybe those plague babies in 5-3.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Honestly though the plauge babies are essentialy the boss of world 5.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lol my little brother demanded I reveal how I got past them, but I honestly forgot how the hell I did it. My brain examined the emotions surrounding the event and said,

"This individual could not be expected to function properly, being consciously aware of such horrors. Delete."

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    EvillincolnEvillincoln Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Had two gamestop refurbs fail in one week. Long story short got my money back and bought a slim for 300. They had a deal on sonystyle.com for a free controller aswell but this is long gone and I have no idea whats coming up.

A free controller > a game IMHO

Evillincoln on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Had two gamestop refurbs fail in one week. Long story short got my money back and bought a slim for 300. They had a deal on sonystyle.com for a free controller aswell but this is long gone and I have no idea whats coming up.

A free controller > a game IMHO

Aren't the wireless controllers that don't suck the same cost as a new game? I own one DS3 and one Sixaxis...guess which one never gets used.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Dr. AvalancheDr. Avalanche Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been a bit disappointed in the PS3 games I've tried, though it is primarily a Blu-Ray player for my wife and I (most gaming done on PC and 360, in that order). Valkyria Chronicles was dreadfully, dreadfully unchallenging, with a broken combat system that torpedoed its other attributes (RPGliteness, the charming cell-shaded graphics). Uncharted was a mediocre TPS yawnfest. Littlebigplanet we kept, but only pop it in once or twice a month to play. There are exceptions:

Demons Souls: brilliant, challenging, engaging game. Can't say enough good things about it.

Folklore: Atypical ARPG with beautiful art direction.

..and that's it, so far. I have high hopes for Siren, which I'm picking up this week, and Heavy Rain, which I'll grab when it comes down in price a bit.

Dr. Avalanche on
  • Options
    ScooterJonesScooterJones Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have to say in all honesty Demon Souls is not for everyone, personally I don't care for it. Going through a level for a good 30 minutes and dieing and having to start over is not fun to me and I'm glad I don't have to do that shit anymore from my childhood. I fully understand the lack of pause and have no issue with it. I wish I had rented the game first. I feel like I gave it a good honest try but I can't get into the unforgiving start over bullshit. There are features in the game that are flat out awesome, seeing other people die and why, and the messages they leave are simply awesome but otherwise no thanks. Occasional shitty hit detection and enemies that can kill you in 1 hit and then you die before regaining your souls from your death just pissed me off too much. Sorry to be all ranty and I'm sure this is the wrong thread I just feel like everytime I see a "Just got a PS3 what do I get thread" Demon souls is recommended and it should be taken with a huge grain of salt. I got it because of threads like this and the frustration for me outweighed the sense of accomplishment.

Sorry /rant.

ScooterJones on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hey, I'm actually a brand new PS3 owner myself and figured I'd weigh in, got it as a sort of happy tax refund/birthday to me. I was originally going to just pick the slim up from a store or whatever, but then all of a sudden I couldn't find one anywhere. Then I tried Amazon and Newegg, nope, I ended up picking up a new 250gig model on ebay for the same price as the 120, and although I'm not a big fan of ebay, I'm definitely pleased. I've got it currently running into my PC monitor on HDMI, but my HDMI cables game a day later then the ps3, so I was using a HDMI to DVI to get it into my monitor, and then used the regular composite A/V cables to run the sound into my computer and it worked like a charm, just have to enable multi-audio out or something like that from the audio settings on the menu. I was a little dissapointed that you can't seem to route all the sound to a bluetooth headset using A2DP, but that's a pretty minor inconvernience. I've got a co-worker with a pretty sizable horde of games that I plan on borrowing to work through, but I've picked up for myself:

White Knight Chronicles: *incoming unpopular viewpoint* I think I'm at the very end of my first play through of the story, and as a single-player RPG it's pretty much abysmal. I hear it gets better with the multi-player guild quests and whatnot, but so far it's been like FF12 only terribler. Combat is boring and mind-numbingly easy, the plot is... well, it's awful, and the leveling system is like somebody wanted to do an interesting grid-like system and then slacked off for a bit, and then got hit by a bus, and then they couldn't find anybody to finish it up so they kinda left it.

Demon Souls: If you don't mind some pain do it. It can definitely be painfully frustrating, I'm not very far into it myself, but it's been a blast... well, except for the rage and the cursing at Flamelurker. DAMN YOU FLAMELURKER! The only complaint I have about it is that either I'm missing something, or there's a bunch of plot that just kinda exists and it doesn't really explain it well. I may have just tried to jump into it kinda quickly, but I think there are some things that don't really get explained well, if it all, and you're just kind of expected to know what to do like with some of the NPCs you run into in the levels. They seem to be pretty much doing there own thing for the most part but I worry that I'm missing out on something.

Battlefield Bad Company 2: I was thinking about getting Modern Warfare 2 to play with people from work, but then my friend was like, dude I'm not gonna be playing MW2 for a little while, I'm picking up Bad Company 2 today. If you've played a Battlefield game before and enjoyed it, this will definitely be up your alley. I never though I would be able to get into an FPS that wasn't on the PC, but this has been doing it for me so far.

Heavenly Sword
    : I'm currently borrowing this one, it's pretty cool, you like God of War, so you'll definitely like it. It's pretty devoid of any of the minor puzzle and platforming elements from GoW, but the combat is solid, the game is gorgeous (the hair physics are pretty bizarre/ridiculous though), the characters are weird and interesting, and it'll definitely serve as a good introduction to the controller. It's makes really good use of the sixaxis controls, and has been really enjoyable overall.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just bought a PS3 too, also primarily because GOW3 is on the way and while I missed the middle chapter I want to be there at the end. Currently I've got White Knight Story, inFamous and Valkyria Chronicles with inFamous seeing the most play. I like WKS, but the party AI is super lame.

inFamous is good, although I don't really feel powerful like I did in Prototype. I kinda feel that most of my powers are kinda anaemic and I'd be better off with a gun! Still, other than the awful awful animation it's a fun game nonetheless.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I have to say in all honesty Demon Souls is not for everyone, personally I don't care for it. Going through a level for a good 30 minutes and dieing and having to start over is not fun to me and I'm glad I don't have to do that shit anymore from my childhood. I fully understand the lack of pause and have no issue with it. I wish I had rented the game first. I feel like I gave it a good honest try but I can't get into the unforgiving start over bullshit. There are features in the game that are flat out awesome, seeing other people die and why, and the messages they leave are simply awesome but otherwise no thanks. Occasional shitty hit detection and enemies that can kill you in 1 hit and then you die before regaining your souls from your death just pissed me off too much. Sorry to be all ranty and I'm sure this is the wrong thread I just feel like everytime I see a "Just got a PS3 what do I get thread" Demon souls is recommended and it should be taken with a huge grain of salt. I got it because of threads like this and the frustration for me outweighed the sense of accomplishment.

Sorry /rant.

Alot of us actually like it because there are consequences for rushing and not planning ahead. It hearkens back to old school games in which restarting the level was a very common thing if you died. It probably isn't for everyone, but anyone who played and liked those old school games will be able to appreciate that feature of Demon's Souls.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I just recently got Batman Arkham Asylum and can't say enough good things about this game, it's a really, really good game.

So, if you've not already bought it for the 360 or pc get it for the PS3. On the plus side you can download the Joker challenges from the PSN store for free which allows you to play as the Joker in the challenge maps.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Folklore is also a kind of left-field interesting title, I loved it when my g/f bought me it, and there is a literal ton of DLC for it as well.

And for-shame PA Forums, no mention of the wonderful Motorstorm games? Motorstorm was my first PS3 game and I remember myself and my best mate just sitting there, jaws open at the sheer gorgousness of the Mesa's and skylines. Really awesome games, get both as they are incredibly cheap now.

Heavy Rain is a rather obvious exclusive now, cannot say enough good things about that game, and if your taknig your first tentative steps into PSN, you cannot go wrong with Pixeljunks games, each one is just a joy to play :)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Sorry /rant.

Alot of us actually like it because there are consequences for rushing and not planning ahead. It hearkens back to old school games in which restarting the level was a very common thing if you died. It probably isn't for everyone, but anyone who played and liked those old school games will be able to appreciate that feature of Demon's Souls.

And unlike said old-school games, it's much better designed on the difficulty front and allows the player to use skill and caution rather than pattern memorisation.

Anyway, Folklore always looked kind of intriguing, but I recall pretty bad reviews. Anyone feel like trying to sell me on it?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been looking for good suggestions for my wife on the PS3. She's a casual RPG player but loved Fable 2. She's also playing FF5 on the DS currently. Otherwise she's a puzzle junkie. Any good suggestions?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So what I'm getting from this thread is "lean towards the slim, but the PS3 is sturdy and the used one should last". Also, apparently I'm supposed to buy Valkyria Chronicles (which I just might because it's $20 brand new @ Gamestop). I'm not too clear on that one, though. Too much subtlety from Rent.

The God Of War games are a given. GoW 3 is the primary reason that I'm getting a PS3 right now.

One additional question: on the slim and older models, does the PS3 HDMI cord have a separate audio-out cord or is it all in one? I ask this because the PS3 is going to be plugged into my computer monitor and I'd like to run the audio through my computer speakers and not my monitor.

You can run your audio seperate from your video. Just use any old hdmi for video and use the composite cables your ps3 comes with for the audio. You may need an adapter like:
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-Recorder-Technologies-RCA-Female-to-RCA-Female-Adapter?sku=339502&ZYXSEM=0&src=3AGGWXX2
    or
    http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_2502550380000001P?vName=Computers%20&%20Electronics=&cName=HomeTheater&Audio=&sName=Accessories&psid=FROOGLE&aff=Y&sid=KAx20061023x272xTier3

Or ideally you can use the optical audio output.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been looking for good suggestions for my wife on the PS3. She's a casual RPG player but loved Fable 2. She's also playing FF5 on the DS currently. Otherwise she's a puzzle junkie. Any good suggestions?

Critter Crunch

Ah_Pook on