As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Final Fantasy I (yes, the first one)

busfahrerbusfahrer addictGermanyRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
(I hope this is the right place and the right format, and I hope that retrogaming isn't frowned upon; in other news: I suck at OPs)

I have recently decided to learn about the history of video gaming. This is one of the first lessons since, aside from Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy coined the console RPG genre like no other title. Also, even if it's only a chiptune, the music is hauntingly beautiful. Join me in playing this classic like it's 1987 :mrgreen:

For starting troubles: Your party screen can be accessed with the Start button, it is there that you have to equip your weapons and armor after you buy or find them. Took me a bit ;-)

Screenshots in all their 8-bit glory (Yeah I know my character naming scheme isn't too creative, wanna fight about it?)

Q4DiK.pngQANlH.png

B2b1M.gif
Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
busfahrer on

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I played through most of the PSP re-release of the first game some time back.

Your naming convention is much better than mine. I think my party consisted of

FOOD
    CARL
    MR T

and last but not least

BUTT

Good luck.

SmokeStacks on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2010
    The graphics of the PSP remake are super pretty.

Opium on
  • aoeuiaoeui Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Every few years I'll pop FF1 in for a blast of nostalgia and it is excellent.

When someone told me about the boat puzzle, and it actually worked unlike every other lie that kid feed me, my mind was blown.

aoeui on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I own the original cart. I picked it up super cheap at a Value Village and it was totally mint. The box and cart were pristine. It had all the maps and instructions intact.

That said, I just can't play it, the original game is way too old school for me. It's sad because I remember passing this game over so many times at the rental store when I was young. My tastes were different back then though and this game always intimidated me when I picked it up to look at it.

I'll definitely be getting the iPhone port when it hits though.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I remember begging for this for my birthday when I was a kid. It was $55!

Becoming on
  • busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Becoming wrote: »

Did you succeed?

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I too have a boxed copy, but mine is not anywhere near mint. I've done the boat puzzle. I hate that if an enemy dies, your attacks aren't switched over to another target. That takes a lot of getting used to.

Drakmathus on
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    busfahrer wrote: »
    Becoming wrote: »

Did you succeed?

Oh yes, my grandparents loved me! My 9th birthday and months afterward were excellent.

Becoming on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is one of my fave games, although I've only ever played it on the PSP. Somehow I managed to delete the save where everyone was level 99. Just another reason for me to play through it again. :) I'm using a Red Mage, 2 Monks and a White Mage.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    edited February 2010
    You guys have any hints for me? I'm a total noob when it comes to console RPGs :mrgreen:

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you keep killing monsters, you will win.

You can't actually be stopped from beating the game unless you intentionally impose some contrivances on yourself, or you do silly things like going into a fight, and then proceeding to cast spells that you have no charges for or use equipment every turn that does nothing until the enemy kills your party.

If you actually had the patience and time to kill Imps in the starting area until you hit level 60, you can render all challenge in the game null and void.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I played this when I was like eight. I almost beat it, too. Through all the kid-crushing difficulty, until I hit the very very very end, where I couldn't get past the packs of Waters (the cyclone things that did colossal damage) you had to beat to reach the final final boss.

I still kinda regret not finishing it.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    You guys have any hints for me? I'm a total noob when it comes to console RPGs :mrgreen:

Play FF4 (US:3) instead. This game is better left in the halls of memory.

TekDragon on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »

Yeah. 1-3 are better left to their remakes.

Krathoon on
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited February 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yeah I really don't know why someone would want to deprive themselves of the gorgeous art on the FF1 and 2 PSP remakes now that they're here. Some of the most impressive spritework in any game ever. It's hard to find better looking 2D games.

Opium on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was playing the hell out of the Dawn of Souls iteration of FF I, a few months back. I should really finish that up. Last thing I remember was lots of lava. I think I was inside of a volcano. I was killing everything and I think I beat that bit, then put it down for a while.

I think I could kill more stuff.

Drake on
    edited February 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    I was playing the hell out of the Dawn of Souls iteration of FF I, a few months back. I should really finish that up. Last thing I remember was lots of lava. I think I was inside of a volcano. I was killing everything and I think I beat that bit, then put it down for a while.

I think I could kill more stuff.

Kill more stuff 8-)

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Those pirates were the best source of income at the early levels.

Also, it was possible to die: gas dragons, those mage-named things that could kill you in one hit (I forgot the name of the spell/ability), or being mass stunned into oblivion by undead.

My friend and I, who were actually more jocks and this was our first RPG, pretty much holed up one summer and played this straight through (I guess it was a couple weeks) - we were about 13. This, and All Star Baseball. Those were the days.

Teth on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Undead stun, (Steven Colbert Impression) Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

FF4 is 2 in the US. US 3 is FF6.

To the OP: In the fire dungeon there is a hallway that is filled with nothing but ogres. If you go into that hallway and kill them, you will get a lot of exp (relative to the area) and I think if you kill enough of them you get some cool sword or something

Drakmathus on
    edited February 2010
    Drakmathus wrote: »

FF4 is 2 in the US. US 3 is FF6.

To the OP: In the fire dungeon there is a hallway that is filled with nothing but ogres. If you go into that hallway and kill them, you will get a lot of exp (relative to the area) and I think if you kill enough of them you get some cool sword or something

Cheers, I hope I will remember that once I get to said fire dungeon :)

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    if you really hate yourself you'll try the 4 white mage party at some time. pain in the ass to level until you can find some undead.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Krathoon wrote: »

FF3 (original NES Japan FF3) is still an awesome game with gameplay and graphics on par with FF4.
    Foomy wrote: »
    if you really hate yourself you'll try the 4 white mage party at some time. pain in the ass to level until you can find some undead.

I did a single white mage playthrough once. Not really all that hard, just grind on the Eye in the Ice Cave until max level.

To be honest, white mage parties are not hard because you have a lot of healing power and the exit spell. Black belt or thief would probably be the most difficult.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Get the Were Sword and make stuff past tense.

Fellhand on
    edited February 2010
    I've got a question:

If person A wants me to get item B from place C, that usually involves grinding until you are strong enough to face the enemies at place C, right? Or am I doing it wrong?

Also, you need a shitload of pure potions, right? I needed 3 in one fight against a bunch of arachnids at least, and that was just one fight.

Furthermore, I don't let my black belt equip any weapons, correct?

edit: speling

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I absolutely adore this game and probably beat it on average twice a year. I'm talking about the original ultra-buggy game, of course. Those latest remakes look so damn pretty but I never got a hold of them. :(
    Foomy wrote: »
    The beauty is that you can(but definitely should not unless you're patient and bored) beat the game as absolutely any class. Solo. Yep. Just kill off the other three right away and go nuts. And this is even in the original where the max level is only 50.

Though I like to go two fighters and two red mages when I'm in the mood to auto-win. Little expensive, but no biggie. Three fighters might even be easier overall... just less convenient in some spots.

Maybe I'm just crazy. I go through the original Dragon Warrior about every year, too, and that game is basically 95% grinding.

Monsty on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Get the Were Sword and make stuff past tense.

Due to one of many bugs, elemental and "attuned" items do not caused extra damage to the thing they are supposed to hurt. But it's still a nice sword.
    I've got a question:

If person A wants me to get item B from place C, that usually involves grinding until you are strong enough to face the enemies at place C, right? Or am I doing it wrong?

Also, you need a shitload of pure potions, right? I needed 3 in one fight against a bunch of arachnids at least, and that was just one fight.

Furthermore, I don't let my black belt equip any weapons, correct?

edit: speling

You really are pretty new, huh? :) Yes. Grind until you can kill everything with minimal loss of health, then move on.

Potions and Pures are pretty cheap, many people buy 99 of each as soon as they can reasonably afford it. You can learn a Pure spell too but that's only 9 casts at the most. Also, it's only poison, you don't have to cure it in the same fight. In the turns you spent curing it you may have prevented more poisonings...obviously a person who is already poisoned can't get any worse.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The worst solo playthrough is probably... Thief. Though I have done most of a Black Mage one that made me wanna stab myself. Didn't finish it.

IIRC, Black Belt has a pretty easy time, actually. At high levels they throw so much damage around it's crazy. And I think if you stick to regular BB as you level, you can get crazy magic defense(I'm pretty sure they swapped the growth rate of the BB's and the Master's mdef).

The trick(and this is good advice for any playthrough) is to abuse on use items. Especially the heal helmet and staff. I think that's what they're called. Just leave one weak enemy left and freely heal your party with those to avoid using potions and spell charges.

EDIT:
    And make your Black Belt naked when he hits level 11(guessing) or so. Before that he is a bit better with some chucks.

Monsty on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My fondest memory of this game is when my brother and I found what we called 'North Point.' Head east from the town you get the ship in, and keep going east and north until you reach a peninsula. You can see the northern coninent from there. And due to what I expect was a bug, you can fight northern continent mobs there. Yes, the giants, T-rexes, and such will kill you hard. But the packs of frost wolves were very weak to fire and even at low levels could be killed. Was a great way to grind levels and make a lot of cash early on.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was just about to post about that same thing. Those top two spots on the peninsula NE of Provoka have the wrong monster spawn tables, and going after the wolves with Fire will net you heaps of exp and coin.

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So just how nice is FF1 on PSP?
    My copies of the DS/GBA version have been swallowed by a black hole.

edit:
    After checking some screens I'm very impressed. I think I'll have to get a copy next time I see one. FF2 be damned, I don't need 'characters' and 'story' getting in the way of my leveling up.

I'll have to do some reading and see if other improvements were made in the port.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So I decided to try FF8 again after giving up on it 10 years ago but now I remember why I gave up on it in the first place; The absolutely SHITTY magic system, both Junctioning and Drawing. I'll bite the bullet and continue to play it though, I'm not wasting $10. Still hope FF9 gets put on the PSPgo soon.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I named my guys Cam, Serv, Crow, and Guy.

Fencingsax on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love the charm of this game, I just can't stand the gameplay (incredibly boring and frustrating)

I definitely prefer classic dragon warrior gameplay to FF gameplay (beyond the first one, though I did have fun with that game as mindless as it was)

Asamof the Horrible on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I never owned this game and thus never played it fully. Only saw a few tidbits here and there from people who did own the game and I played the beginning of the game once, many years later. I didn't have the patience to start killing countless amounts of goblins around the starting city before being strong enough to move on to the next area.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited February 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I never owned this game and thus never played it fully. Only saw a few tidbits here and there from people who did own the game and I played the beginning of the game once, many years later. I didn't have the patience to start killing countless amounts of goblins around the starting city before being strong enough to move on to the next area.

That's the whole point of it, isn't it? ;-)

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yep. Always more dudes to kill.

Drake on
    edited March 2010
    Shameless bump

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I really wish they'd release the PSP remake on the PSN store so I could get it for my Go. That game was the shit!

Djiem on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The one thing I love about FF1 is that it haves the best FF battle music ever. Yeah, it was 8-bit and left a lot to the imagination. But the build up...the climax...and the repeat! Such awesomeness!

Casually Hardcore on