As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Realm of the Mad God

DracilDracil Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
It's basically an indie browser real-time RPG. Almost shooter-like since every class shoots stuff, albeit with different ranges and differing stats and equipment. Basically everyone works together to kill about 25000 minions after which the final boss spawns and you can kill it for lots of good loot, including I think stat potions. You can also get keys which you can use to spawn dungeons for some decent loot. The main thing about the game is that death is permanent, and will probably happen quite often. I've only reached level 10 myself though the max level is 20.

http://realmofthemadgod.com/

Here's a map of the monster difficulties. Green is easiest and red is hardest. The boss spawns somewhere in the northwest I think.
livepic2.jpg

There's a few unlockable classes: You unlock the knight when you reach level 10 with a priest. You unlock the paladin when you reach level 20 with both the priest and knight.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
Dracil on

• XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jesus christ, I hate to bump this thread because it really doesn't deserve the attention, but I have to say that I can't imagine getting to level 10 or 20 with anything.

I literally wandered around for 45 minutes (why I gave it that much of a chance I'll never know.) and saw a grand total of six monsters. Four of which vanished mysteriously after my first shot. (which didn't hit.) I managed to kill two before they poofed, and my xp bar went up a tiiiiiinnny ittty bitty bit.

I really can't comprehend the amount of aimless wandering required to level up even once, let alone nine times.

Xaviar on
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    I literally wandered around for 45 minutes (why I gave it that much of a chance I'll never know.) and saw a grand total of six monsters. Four of which vanished mysteriously after my first shot. (which didn't hit.) I managed to kill two before they poofed, and my xp bar went up a tiiiiiinnny ittty bitty bit.

Were you playing the same game? Starting on the beach and then going into the woods? I just jumped in to see what the suck was about and saw a handful of wangs running around with snakes, skeletons, flying demons, green box things, everywhere. I got overwhelmed and killed by them all.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm enjoying it. I think it really depends on which server you're on as to how many monsters you see.

Klorgnum on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After waiting a few minutes while the game was looking for a server that wasn't full, I spawn in the middle of a group of other players. One was names "cuntfat", one was named "cumshot", and one was named "derp".

I wandered around for a while, didn't see anything, and said fuck it.

SmokeStacks on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Definately not something to play with a touchpad.

chamberlain on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Jesus christ, I hate to bump this thread because it really doesn't deserve the attention, but I have to say that I can't imagine getting to level 10 or 20 with anything.

I really can't comprehend the amount of aimless wandering required to level up even once, let alone nine times.

I had this experience for a short while. I got to level 3, finally found a pirate cave key, and did a cool little dungeon with a boss in it. When I left it took me to a new server where I was surrounded by players and monsters running around, and a demon that was one shotting people left and right (which I survived due to being slightly higher). The rest of my time on that server was really chaotic, until I found another key and ended up on a medium monster population server.

So it all depends.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sucks that whenever you die, your character is erased and that's it.
    I was making a bit of progress with my Wizard, got him all the way to level 7 by killing enemies and doing the Pirate Cave over and over. I was careful enough, carried HP bottles, everything was fine.

When I popped out of the Cave, I spawned on some beach where me and 3-4 other players instantly got raped by 2 imps and there we go: all my progress erased.

I'm done with this game.

Djiem on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Got to level three, this game is really neat. Although I think someone dropped a really really good piece of armor and weapon for me early and it made things pretty easy for a while...

Edit: level 7 archer. this game surmounts to run backwards and shoot. Or in the woods: find a clearing, hold down 2 buttons to circlestrafe and shoot. Is there any better gear then the first upgrades you get? I got a leather armor, xbow and 2 speed rings, but could never find anything better.

double edit: Oh theres a wiki. the answer is yes.

Triple edit: Their explanation on how they built the world map is pretty fascinating

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So...just circle ctrafe and fire into the center like geometry wars, right? Doesn't seem too hard.

Burtletoy on
    edited February 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    So...just circle ctrafe and fire into the center like geometry wars, right? Doesn't seem too hard.

It's harder to circle strafe since you're not centered on the screen and when you've got multiple bullets coming at you that can kill you in three hits.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Marsh and I have been playing this, we were doing great as a Priest & Rogue team.

Also note that if people are killing things near you, exp is shared as if you were a party so if you have vent or skype, getting together and making parties to play with makes this pretty fun.

Yes it is hells of hard when you start at level 1 and get your shit ruined by something too powerful for you, but this game sort of works like a roguelike, you are going to die until you get the hang of it and you are going to either hate the game or like it.

Also the music is great.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited February 2010
    Marsh, you in the same server as me.

I haven't seen anything to kill in like 5min so I closed the game and reopen the link, but it'll probably be a different server now.

Burtletoy on
  • KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've been playing this more and enjoying it. The 'trick' if there is one, is just to find a group and stick with them. You'll gain xp much faster that way.
    Also, pirate caves are fairly easy and earn you a lot of xp.

Klorgnum on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, I've been hanging out in Ogre mostly.

Got a warrior, Knight, and archer to level 10, I have a priest right now at level 12. It's a pretty solid game when you get the hang of it. Spawn camping imps and demons are still pretty annoying but you learn to run away hella quick when you see the fire spread they shoot.

My first instinct used to be to get to the "safe" beach, but that just means the high level enemy is going to have a straight shot at you, and they're almost certainly faster then you are. You want to head right into the thickest forest you can find so the trees will block their shot and slow them down while you hightail it outta there.

Marshmallow on
    edited February 2010
    But on that same note, I think I've died more because of trees than anything else in the game.

Burtletoy on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, also, definitely use "O" or "0" to change to strafe mode.

Makes is so much easier to see where you're going.

Marshmallow on
  • Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A group of random players and I teamed up and just destroyed everything. Then they ran ahead and beat the final boss without me. :(

I did end up with a level 20 priest though.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man I just fought some gods and got raped. Level 10 is not enough to fight gods, even as a knight with golden armor, golden sword, steel shield, ring of defense, and a priest and mage backing you up. Well one at a time is fine, but then we ran into 3 of them.

Dracil on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm liking this

whoa ok high monster areas are pretty crazy.

Also, I'm playing on ogre.

ffffff died just as I turned to level 7. Had a great run, but I was fleeing from a mob at the end and couldn't find other people. I would totally get this game if they polished it up and put it on Live.

Push t to turn on auto-fire.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Was raining death and destruction down on the landscape as the Wizard "Nukadin" up until we encountered half a dozen ghost gods.

Things did not end well.

This is incredibly addictive.

Archonex on
    edited February 2010
    I gotta say, the most fun thing about this is editing your saves. I made myself a level 19 priest and knight with all the best equipment, gained that last level, and got started on a paladin.

In case anyone is curious, the save file is here:

C:\Documents and Settings\System Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[random letters]\realmofthemadgod.com

The character save is AssembleeGameClientPlayer.sol. If you back this file up, you can restore it when you die.

And if anyone wants some details on editing it I can help.

UncleSporky on
    edited February 2010
    What sort of program can you open it with exactly? I'm interested in seeing what sort of stats this game tracks.

Archonex on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My first shot at this game ended literally less than a second in as my guy was pelted by some unknown assailant and died before I could even press a button.

Luckily, I gave the game another shot, because it seems like it could grow on me, especially now that I know how to switch the somewhat lame default control scheme.

BloodySloth on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You probably joined the game when they were fighting the last boss. You spawn almost next to him when that happens.

Dracil on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The music is pretty catchy and gets me in the mood to run around and kill shit. I also found that a two priest team works pretty well, we were healing each other and slaughtering everything in the woods. Eventually he left or something (he didn't die because there wasn't a tombstone) and I got killed by a mummy king. :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game gives me nostalgia for Ragnarok Online, I wasn't a big fan, but I did happen to see the anime and play a little in the American beta(Ithink).

Its fun to have that instantaneous team work but it's a really shallow but promising game.

McAllen on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I can't be the only one who thought you were talking about Shivering Isles based on the thread title.

Anyway, looks cool, checking it out now.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I liked it. No idea how you talk or view/remap controls though.

Going to bed, will play again tomorrow.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is kinda fun actually.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Hitting "H" will list all of the controls, and hitting I think O will switch it so a and d strafe instead of turn.

BloodySloth on
  • A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there a server we are preferring? Groups seem like a smart thing here.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can't help but laugh a bit at the people who ragequite this because of the perma-death.
    Can't imagine what Nethack would do to them...

Sokpuppet on
  • dumbmanexdumbmanex Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is pretty cool, I wish the hit detection on the trees and such were a little more forgiving though. Like that music too.

dumbmanex on
    Shark it up! Action/Arcade = The Great White Destroyer (August sale, half off! ShaShaShaShaShark Month!)
    Snowballs in peril! Action/Puzzle = Snowball's Chance E1 (it's free now!)
    edited February 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    What sort of program can you open it with exactly? I'm interested in seeing what sort of stats this game tracks.

A hex editor such as this one. However it is not obvious at all which stat is where. I found out by making a character and writing down every stat, then making another and doing it again, etc. and then looking in each save for hexidecimal values that correspond to the actual stats.

Each relevant number is preceded by something like "00 03 33 04". I couldn't figure out what part keeps track of your current class or HP and MP, but I can change almost everything else, including name, xp, level, every item and every other stat. It doesn't seem to keep track of things like places you've been or how many enemies you've killed.

Here are the notes I made, they're not exactly self-evident but maybe they will help.

The digits preceding each entry are important because your file may be scrambled - stats mixed with inventory slots, etc. But for example, if you can find the string "00 03 37 04," the number right after that will always be your level. Change it to 13, which is 19 in hex. :)
    AsembleeGameClientPlayer
    00 00 00
    03 03 30 04 [??]
    [name]
    00 03 33 04 [??]
    00 03 35 04 [??]
    00 03 36 04 [xp]
    00 03 37 04 [level]
    00 03 38 04 [equip slot 1]
    00 03 39 04 [equip slot 2]
    00 05 31 30 04 [equip slot 3]
    00 05 31 31 04 [equip slot 4]
    00 05 31 32 04 [item slot 1]
    00 05 31 33 04 [item slot 2]
    00 05 31 34 04 [item slot 3]
    00 05 31 35 04 [item slot 4]
    00 05 31 36 04 [item slot 5]
    00 05 31 37 04 [item slot 6]
    00 05 31 38 04 [item slot 7]
    00 05 31 39 04 [item slot 8]
    00 05 32 30 04 [atk]
    00 05 32 31 04 [def]
    00 05 32 32 04 [spd]
    00 05 32 36 04 [hpgen]
    00 05 32 37 04 [mpgen]

FF FF FF FF - empty slot

94 01 - longsword
    94 02 - golden sword
    94 03 - mithril sword

94 04 - fire wand
    94 05 - missile wand
    94 06 - hell's fire wand
    94 07 - wand of death

94 08 - wooden shield
    94 09 - iron shield
    94 0A - steel shield
    94 oC - mithril shield

94 0D - leather armor
    94 0F - chainmail
    94 10 - golden chainmail
    94 11 - plate mail
    94 12 - mithril armor
    94 13 - dragonscale armor

94 14 - blunt dagger
    94 15 - dirk

94 1B - crossbow

94 22 - health potion
    94 23 - mana potion

94 28 - ring of magic

94 31 - light heal spell
    94 33 - major heal spell

8E 01 - undead lair key
    8E 05 - pirate key

EDIT: Another thing: changing your level does not change your HP and MP. If you want to have an optimal character, set all your stats to 75 and give yourself the best equipment, but stay at level 1. With everything at 75 you can go god hunting yourself anyway and level up quickly, so your HP and MP grow as they should.

If you don't do it right the file will be deleted and you'll get the character select screen. If you change the size of the file it will also fail. This means that you can't insert items into the slots that are "FF FF FF FF" because it's four bytes, rather than the two needed for an item. First go into the game and put something in that slot, then you can change it.

UncleSporky on
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    You can reload the page and you'll respawn with full HP at a spawn point (possibly with imps/demons camping)

I see most people doing this to avoid death, but I don't know how they do it so fast

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Tabbed browsing, close the tab to log out.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This game looks like it was made as a part of some sort of independent games competition. In any case, it's definitely fun in short bursts. Hopefully the fellow who made the game will keep adding content. Adding more classes to unlock would definitely extend the game's life.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Hitting "H" will list all of the controls, and hitting I think O will switch it so a and d strafe instead of turn.

Cheers duder!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My experience with this game was this:

Ok I'm in. Use WASD to... oh what I'm dead!?

Ok I'm in ag... WHAT IM DEAD AGAIN!?

I'm ready this t... dead.

Spawn:dead.

Fuck this.

DuskTwilight on
    edited February 2010
    I lucked out and got a crap-ton of speed potions on my wizard, along with the best wand and attack spell in the game after killing Dryx a few times.

Nukadin V2 is now level 20 and camping out in the most dangerous areas of the game alone, farming skill potions to max out all of his stats. Not sure what i'll do if I manage to do that. Hopefully the game creator will put more content in by then.

Maybe i'll work toward's unlocking a Paladin.

Also, the first two servers seem to swing toward's brutal difficulty levels. Though it may be a time/pop thing, given that some monsters seem capable of breeding to create more obscenely powerful monsters. Either way, going on a murder-spree should fix that.

A post on the forums indicates that some monsters can lay eggs to produce offspring.

Edit: I got to say, when you get far out into the god forsaken places in the corners of the map, where hundreds of enemies have had time to spawn thanks to noone daring to go out that far, this game quickly becomes an online bullet hell shooter.

Archonex on