As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Win 7 Thumbnail Preview windows deadish [Solved...]

XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
So I install Majesty 2 (which I don't know is related, but it did claim to be installing DirectX 9.0c so who knows) and then later that night I realize my thumbnail previews when I mouse over an icon in the taskbar are on the fritz. They may work, they may quickly appear and then vanish, but not work at all, if you mouse around the icon they flicker like mad, etc etc.

Running DirectX setup from MS says everything is up to date, updated my graphic drivers, rebooted, still borked. Suppose I can try uninstalling Majesty 2 (didn't help). Any other ideas?

Edit: And this is weird. I noticed my volume was automatically increasing to max on Pandora. Same with my speaker volume in the mixer. So I unplug my headset and it seems to have fixed both problems.

Xeddicus on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So I install Majesty 2 (which I don't know is related, but it did claim to be installing DirectX 9.0c so who knows) and then later that night I realize my thumbnail previews when I mouse over an icon in the taskbar are on the fritz. They may work, they may quickly appear and then vanish, but not work at all, if you mouse around the icon they flicker like mad, etc etc.

Running DirectX setup from MS says everything is up to date, updated my graphic drivers, rebooted, still borked. Suppose I can try uninstalling Majesty 2 (didn't help). Any other ideas?

Edit: And this is weird. I noticed my volume was automatically increasing to max on Pandora. Same with my speaker volume in the mixer. So I unplug my headset and it seems to have fixed both problems.

How many times did you reboot before you worried yourself sick?

Seems like one of those internet gnome problems.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    3 or 4 times. 2 or 3 reboots and a shutdown. I was really "What the hell!" at that point. Then once I figured it out it changed to a slightly altered "What the hell?". I'm never going to understand why headphones going out = graphical errors.

Though it's apparently 100% reproducible it seems. Mouse over something then hit the volume control on your headset and the preview window will vanish. So apparently my other set is shorting out the "increase volume" setting and firing constantly.

Xeddicus on