As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Recommend on] Sci Fi Book Edition

FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I’ve been reading a lot of fantasy recently, and I’m kind of over it for now. I’d like to get into some good sci fi, as Mass Effect 2 has captured my imagination of late.

So, I’m looking for recommendations please. I’ve read a few, so I’ll jot down the memorable ones to save a bit of time. I’m not precious about pop vs serious sci fi, so post your favs with a description of the what and why’s.

Books I’ve read:
- Peter F Hamilton (Knights Dawn Triligy and more recently the Void Trilogy – any others worth looking into?
- The Thrawn Trilogy
- Starship Troopers
- Enders Game
- Armour (though they spell armour wrong)

There’s a few more, but not many – I’m a bit of a Nub.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fallingman on

• Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson.

(and 'Armour' is the British spelling)

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anything by Philip K. Dick

Particularly "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" "A Scanner Darkly" "The man in the High Castle" and "Flow My Tears the Policeman Said"

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Anything in particular you'd want to avoid, or found you didn't enjoy?

Nobody on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    'Snow Crash' by Neal Stephenson.

Also, The Diamond Age. Which features a character from Snow Crash if you pay attention.

And if we're talking John Steakley, my edition is called Armor.

Echo on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. His other stuff is good too but that one's his best.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks guys, and I was being facetious about the spelling of armor/armour...

I have heard of Snow Crash, the only thing stopping me was that I read Cryptonomicon and was underwhelmed. Should I let this worry me?

I tried Aisimov once, but didn't get into it for some reason, maybe I wasn't in the right mood.

Hmm, altered carbon sounds interesting.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Have Space Suit Will Travel

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula LeGuin. It's kind of like a Phillip K Dick book but with better wording.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Should have added hitchhiker to the list above ;-) I've read it. Have Space Suit Will Travel - I've not heard of.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »
    Should have added hitchhiker to the list above ;-) I've read it. Have Space Suit Will Travel - I've not heard of.

It's Heinlein, you really can't go wrong

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    Neal Asher's Spatterjay books: The Skinner, The Voyage of the Sable Keech, and Orbus.

Imagine swashbuckling adventures on a planet mostly covered by ocean, with all fauna based on a virus that regenerates the host and is used by gargantuan leeches to ensure that their prey grows back the chunks of flesh they tear out of them.

Now imagine humans infected with this virus, some of them nearly a thousand years old due to the regenerating virus, and with immense strength due to the virus gradually replacing their body with viral fibres - some of them barely even bleed when cut and have the wounds instantly close. They're called the Old Captains.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I hear the Honor Harrington series is great as well, but I can't personally attest to that

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero & Mona Lisa Overdrive)
    then
    William Gibson's Bridge Trilogy (Virtual Light, Idoru, All Tomorrow's Parties)

The first ones pretty much defined cyberpunk and the others are set in the same universe.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The Heinlein Juveniles are all pretty great. Beyond that, tread very cautiously through Heinlein. His stuff gets weird in a hurry.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The Heinlein Juveniles are all pretty great. Beyond that, tread very cautiously through Heinlein. His stuff gets weird in a hurry.

I know we're talking personal taste here, but even his weird stuff is pretty good

Have Space Suit Will Travel is considered pretty classic last time I checked, though

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I know we're talking personal taste here, but even his weird stuff is pretty good

Have Space Suit Will Travel is considered pretty classic last time I checked, though

Oh, I agree. I like all his non-juvenile stuff but I wouldn't suggest somebody try it as an early foray into Sci-fi. Also, HSS:WT is one of the juveniles.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    In order of when I think of them
    • Dan Simmons - Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Ilium, Olympos
      Simmons is a very versatile writer, and his books are a pleasure to read just on their surface merits. He's also big on allusions and homages to other works. Ilium and Olympos are essentially SF reimaginings of Homer's epics, with a bunch of Shakespeare and others throw in for good measure, and the Hyperion Cantos riffs on many of the major movements within SF.
    • Lois McMaster Bujold - The Vorkosigan Saga
      Just very well-written, fun SF. Bujold, like Simmons, is quite versatile, and takes on all kinds of different subgenres within the series. I suggest starting with the first Miles omnibus, Young Miles, and going from there. If you like it--and you will--you'll have enough reading material to last weeks, if not months.
    • Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
      Astute and beautiful.
    • John Wyndham - The Day of the Triffids
      Post-apocalyptic England with killer plants.
    • John Scalzi - Agent to the Stars
      A fairly zany take on first contact. Aliens hire a PR guy to handle their wider introduction. Lots of snappy dialogue, if you're into that sort of thing

Grid System on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    • Dan Simmons - Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion
    I will add Endymion and The Rise of Endymion to this because they are the second half of the story. And it really is an incredibly epic story that I'm pretty sure everyone should read everywhere ever.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    also don't bother reading the rest of the ender books or really anything else by orson scott card. he kind of only did one thing well.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Seconding the Dan Simmons books above. Though in my opinion the Endymion books were not in the same league as his other work, and they retcon a good deal. Either way, I read them and found them extremely enjoyable.

Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space and Redemption Ark are pretty interesting. Unfortunately, the last ingredient, Absolution Gap was not particularly noteworthy :(.

Though they lack the pulpy goodness of the Night's Dawn Trilogy, Hamilton's great work is really Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, if only for his world-building. They precede the Void Trilogy. Fallen Dragon is nifty too.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    anything by Pat Cadigan

Callahan's Cross-time Saloon by Spider Robinson (kind of, uh, raunchy, so be prepared)

Quoth on
  • Options
    elmoelmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    'The moon is a harsh mistress' by Heinlein. One of my all time favorite books.
    'Rendezvous with Rama' by Arthur C. Clarke is also a pretty good book

elmo on
  • Options
    Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The Neanderthal Parallax trilogy by Robert J. Sawyer is pretty good. It's about a rift or portal that opens up between parallel Earths where in one the Neanderthals became the dominant species.

I've a few of his other books as well and enjoyed them.

Red Rover on
    This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If your liked Armor you definitely have to read The Forever War by Haldeman. The way it was explained to me was that those two books together are sort of the canonical powered armor books that all power armor is based on.

Not only that, it's a phenomenal story and I would actually say it's a much easier and more beautiful story than Armor is...not that Armor is bad. Go Felix!

Hypatia on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ^ Man, just beat me to it! Forever War is great stuff. I also agree with your OP on Starship Troopers and Ender's Game. I'd also recommend Ender's Shadow after you read Game.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Iain M. Banks' book "Consider Phlebas"

Hes about as brilliant as one can get in the space opera genre.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Consider also Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light, it is Sci-Fi with plenty of mythology thrown in. If you like this, then he has plenty of other works for you to sink your teeth into

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I will recommend anything written by Vernor Vinge. A good place to start would be A Fire Upon the Deep followed by it's prequel, A Deepness in the Sky. I'll also second any recommendations for Alastair Reynolds.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Dune

.kbf? on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, I'd forgotten about the Forever War. I have read that, it was great. I was surprised how well it held up given that it was written in the early 70's.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ken Macleod and Charlie Stross are two newish (last decade or so) British sci-fi writers. They write some interesting stuff, IP, political theory, tech, near future etc. Quite short and sweet too

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    im a pretty big sci fi fan, here's a list of some of my favorite authors/novels

john brunner- plenty of good popsci novels like the super barbarians when he started out but he wrote the sheep look up and stand on zanzibar which are these fantastic near-future books that mesh pretty nicely with our present despite being written some forty years ago.

james white- the escape orbit, a short pop novel about escaping a hellish prison planet

andre norton- wrote a ton of books but I recommend the free traders/space queen series which is about a spaceship crew that trades raritiesacross the stars to live a free life. also the stars are ours followed by star born are two good novels about an earth colony ship that tries to escape despite desperate conditions on earth.

frank herbert- santaroga barrier and hellstrom's hive: two excellent novels about radical cultural change aided by a technological leg up that permits the rapid change. he's done other great stuff as well like the dune trilogy.

larry niven- ringworld series- I love these books, the universe he created is really compelling. if you get into this read the man-kzin war books as well.

harry harrison- deathworld trilogy: a great little series about a colony of tough motherfuckers making their place on a hostile new world.

jack vance- wrote a bunch of good pop sci like the five gold bands, the dragon masters, son of the tree,houses of iszm, etc. they're really good and it'll take forever to describe them all but they are like fiction popcorn

a.e. van vogt- slan, a transhumanist type novel, the war against the rull- a novel about human vs alien psyche battling it out for the galaxy, the world of null-A which is about both a plot to bring humans into the galactic fold and about non aristotlian thinking. I enjoyed the last the most but they are all v. enjoyable reads.

charles sheffield- the compleat mcandrew- more of a hard/realistic scifi book, it's a compilation of short stories into quite sn interesting novel about exploration into our solar system over the next few centuries

ah what else
    jack williamson- the humanoids- which is a good scary robot counterpart to asimov's benevolent robot series.

this is all old stuff though, and the perspectives reflect worldview of the time- you'll see stuff like AHHH communism and women = flowers etc which is fairly amusing for me,at least. going more modern you should check out...

ill wind by kevin anderson and doug beason, a 90's book responding to oil economy fears with a postapocalypseview of the removal of oil products

iain banks has some great novels out but he's been mentioned
    greg bear's darwin series (starting with darwin's radio) is pretty great with the genetic mutation stuff he's got goin on
    im a big fan of ben bova but his stuff is a heavy read at times which slows things down.

I think that's it for me, I ended writing more down than I thought i would.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Already said a few times, but Dune. Foundation Series and/or anything by Asimov.

lifeincognito on
    losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan. His other stuff is good too but that one's his best.

I actually think Altered Carbon is the weakest of his books (possibly discounting the recent fantasy novel, which I haven't read, but I've heard it's terrible). I think it's worth reading to set up Broken Angels and Woken Furies, but upon reading them again I think both of those are superior books. Woken Furies in particular. Also his other two unrelated sci-fi books (Market Forces and Thirteen) are worth a read. Market Forces has a more interesting premise but the wrting is crisper in Thirteen.

Dune has been mentioned and it's a must read - I only recently read it and I wanted to smack myself for not reading it 20 years ago.

The Vernor Vinge books that were mentioned, A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky are both excellent, dense sci-fi.

And if you want a complete mind-fuck of a book, pick up Vurt by Jeff Noon. It is a trippy-as-fuck cyberpunkish book. Features objectively real virtual experience triggered by sucking on color-coded feathers, telepathic women made of shadows, people who fuck dogs, incest, and guns that fire bullets with fractal viruses which convert the target's body into fractal data until the data collabses. I've never read anything like it.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    BronzeDuckBronzeDuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Erios wrote: »
    Seconding the Dan Simmons books above. Though in my opinion the Endymion books were not in the same league as his other work, and they retcon a good deal. Either way, I read them and found them extremely enjoyable.

Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space and Redemption Ark are pretty interesting. Unfortunately, the last ingredient, Absolution Gap was not particularly noteworthy :(.

Though they lack the pulpy goodness of the Night's Dawn Trilogy, Hamilton's great work is really Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, if only for his world-building. They precede the Void Trilogy. Fallen Dragon is nifty too.

Really can't lime that hard enough. The stories Reynolds tells are pretty epic, spanning entire galaxies and thousands/millions of years. Though only a few (two?) of his other books take place in the Revelation Space universe, all of his books have the same style.

Others have mentioned the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons, which I've just started. Enjoying them but finding them a bit slow to start out.

BronzeDuck on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Personally I have preferred Reynold's standalone novels to the Revelation Space series. House of Suns gets a special mention for the mind boggling time scale it operates on.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll throw my hat into the ring for Asimov's Foundation trilogy. Also, the Space Odyssey series by Arthur C. Clarke is worth a look, and can give you some explanation of what you saw in the movies (2001, 2010, 2061, and 3001).

Dalboz on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    how could i forget

Starfish by Peter Watts

Quoth on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    blue dot for later - keep the recommendations coming :D

illig on
  • Options
    Zul the ConquerorZul the Conqueror Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    A lot of good recommendations in this thread... I can't repeat Dune hard enough. It's often regarded as the book that put science fiction on the literary map.

I have to disagree with whoever advised against reading the Ender series beyond Ender's Game. The next three books (Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind) are very different from the first, but I think they're better, more interesting books. They're not as good adventures as the Ender's Game, but they made me think more. The "Shadow" books are more in the vein of the first, and quite enjoyable.

In order to actually add to what has been said, I'll recommend Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series (Red, Green, and Blue Mars.) They're excellent, hard science fiction about the colonization of Mars and where the human race may find itself in a couple of hundred years scientifically, socially, and politically.

Zul the Conqueror on