As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[V:tM | IC] Fairhaven: Blood in the Streets

Harmonic DrakeHarmonic Drake Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Critical Failures
Rose.jpg

January 30th, 2010
9:35 PM
The icy, winter chill dominates the air around the newly-formed coterie, an uncomfortable, penetrating cold. There is wind; cold, uncaring wind flowing around the gathered figures, brushing the tails of trench coats and jackets and tossing hats that weren’t fastened or held. Eight beings are gathered in the parking lot, seven of them standing in front of an apparent leader, or at least the apparent leader. He’s tall, breaking six feet and missing all of his hair, in addition to being clean-shaven. He possesses a pale skin tone, and a tone figure that belies strength. His eyes rake over the gathered coterie, the black irises calm at first glance, yet brimming with checked rage, held tightly by the strength of ages. He’s without an article to cover his head or face, though he sports a brown trench coat that’s buttoned and belted, and worn with time.
His boots crunch in the snow of the lot, where only his truck and the various cars belonging to the other Kindred sit parked. The warehouse behind the Sheriff, a gargantuan building surrounding them on three sides to their communal right, belongs to one of the city’s elders; however, none of the coterie members seems to know what exactly it’s there for. James Cranston, the imposing man pacing before the motley crew, seems to be uninterested in the warehouse. He seems equally disinterested in his new charges; though taking him at face value is never a good idea.
The road next to the parking lot entrance is devoid of traffic, though it’s a side street and so not many people travel down it. There are other industrial factories on their street, blocking the view of everything except the night sky, with the light of the full moon shining dispassionately upon them. The faint twinkling of stars can be seen through the ever-present haze of the city’s lights, forming the cornerstones of known constellations.
Despite the unnerving feeling that seems to have taken hold of the elders of the city, the night at the moment is rather calm and peaceful, if very cold and uncomfortable. Finally, James halts and turns to face his new underlings, clapping his uncovered hands together to snap anyone out of any stupor they may have fallen into.
“So, you’ve been assembled by upper management to take care of our little rodent problem,” James begins, his voice strong and even. “The lot of you has been told to work together for the greater good of the community, and as your own entity. I’m your commander, your leader. You all know me, and I know you, so we’ll skip the introductions.
“Since upper management has given you all ample time to get acquainted, I expect there to be no problems when you handle your tasks. After all, your little personal vendettas and assignments can wait until you’re off-duty. Like most places of work like to say, ‘leave your attitudes at the door’. Well, this isn’t very different. You can keep the attitudes, but the mission is more important than any of you and I don’t want to hear any reports of failure due to infighting. We’re the Camarilla, not those piss-drinking pack-rats known as the Sabbat, and we’ll beat them due to teamwork and cooperation, or else.” James punctuated his threat with a very prominent gaze, looking each Kindred in the eyes.
“Since you younglings are fond of names, I suppose this coterie could do with a name. I suppose something like ‘the Exterminators’ would be a little too obvious, so I’ll spare you the embarrassment.”
James went back to pacing, rubbing his chin with one hand and cupping that elbow with the other. “Aha!” James exclaimed, snapping his fingers with a grin. “I got it. We’ll call you the Status Quo.” He waited to hear the group’s reaction to being named after a seventies English rock band.
“Oh, don’t worry, I’m only kidding you. Tell you what. If you can come back from your first mission alive and successful, I’ll let you name yourselves. That will be your reward; well, aside from surviving, that is.
“The local Sabbat aren’t your average packs. They’ve been terrorizing us for a good long while, though never this ferociously. They want this town, and we’re expecting them to start a Crusade at some point in the future. Why the fuck the elders have waited until now is beyond me, but now it’s your jobs to stop them from being able to mount anything meaner than a glare at our city.”
Before James can continue what he was about to say, two shrill cries echo into the parking lot, announcing the arrival of two of James’s pet ghouls: a pair of red-tailed hawks with mottled dark brown and white feathers, gray beaks and the red tails of their namesake. James turns and holds out an arm, where the two birds land with some flapping for balance. He looks into each of their eyes, seemingly connecting with them telepathically.
“Well, this was supposed to be a training session, but it seems the Sabbat aren’t going to wait for you to prepare. The bastards have been spotted in the northern district, ransacking a little theater. Looks like it’s at the corner of Beach and highway 84. Here,” James says, tossing the keys to Logen. “Take my truck; it’s used to rough treatment. Bring it back in one piece or I’ll take it out of all your hides. I’m going to get up to Elysium so I can warn the Prince about the attack and get the shit-spinners to work.”
James turns and makes his way across the parking lot, his hawks lifting up to fly as he shifts into the form of a bat and works his way into the sky. The coterie turns towards the truck, the most dominating vehicle in the lot as Logen hurries over to start it up.
The thick, hulking F-150 sitting near the exit of the parking lot beeps to life as Logen presses the unlock key. It sports a black metal headache rack with four interspersed lights on top, a black molded bed liner, silver metal patterned tool box that squats on the side of the bed as well as against the cab, and wide snow tires. At even intervals along the inside of the bed walls are hooks with short, flat nylon straps sporting rounded ends. Apparently James has had people riding in the bed who needed something to hold onto before.
There’s a rather thick, black metal bumper on the front of the truck, and the outside of it feels more solid than normal; the Sheriff went so far as to have his truck made bullet resistant, even with the windows and windshield. Overall, the truck is more of a tank than a simple vehicle, and it’s no surprise that he’s fond of it.
The troupe makes their way out of the parking lot and into the streets, making their way to the small theater the Sheriff mentioned. It’s a few minutes before they arrive, yet they still get there in time to see the massacre in progress.
The theater is in its own building, blocked by foliage and storage space from the street, so no one’s been able to spot it, as far as anyone can tell. A large, metal blue armored truck sits at the front entrance, where the Sabbat pack is busy loading up bodies. They’re all blood-streaked, and at the sight of the truck one lets loose with the blast of a machine gun, which bounces off of the truck harmlessly.
Two make their way to the cab while the other three hop in the back. They don’t have time to shut the door as the truck fires up. It looks like a chase is about to start.


==================================

You're in a modified Ford F-150. Its safe speed is 75, max speed is 125. Logen's driving. Every ten miles over the safe speed you go increases the difficulty of driving by 1 in certain conditions (I'll let you know when these occur). Your truck has a 4 armor rating and 25 health levels, and I'll be rolling the armor rating as soak.

Those in the back have straps they can hold onto if they need to, it's a free action to grab them unless you're also in the middle of taking an action, in which case you either have to abort or trust to your balance to keep you safe. State in your post if you're holding onto the straps during or after your action.

The armored truck is slower than you, a safe speed of 70, max speed of 100. It has an armor rating of 5 and 35 health levels. The door is open, so you have shots at the Sabbat inside, but there are humans in there, too. Some of them aren't dead.

The truck is stopped for this action, so anyone who wants to get out and deal with the situation of the theater has to now. There's blood and detritus everywhere, and dead bodies lying all around the entrance and inside. The police scanner in the truck hasn't shown any police notification yet, but that could change at any moment.

The placement of characters is as follows:
Logen is in the driver's seat with Daniel Stein in the passenger's seat. Driver's side bed are Noah (closest to the cab) and Crevan, passenger's side bed are Jason Bullock (closest to the cab) and Stewart, and Richard is at the end by the tailgate. If Daniel decides to stay, there's time enough for one of you to get in the passenger's seat.

Okay, the posting order and players/characters are as follows:

Belligerent: Logen Johnson, Gangrel (15)
Saint Justice: Jason Bullock, Malkavian (14)
Feygor: Daniel Stein, Ventrue (14)
Egos: Crevan Alker, Gangrel (14)
Cynic Jester: Noah McNamara, Nosferatu (11)
CJ Iwakura: Stewart R. Henrick, Tremere (7)
JDarksun: Richard Harris, Toreador (6)

Health levels, blood and willpower totals:
Logen: No damage, 12 blood, 5 willpower
Jason: No damage, 10 blood, 6 willpower
Daniel: No damage, 11 blood, 4 willpower
Crevan: No damage, 13 blood, 6 willpower
Noah: No damage, 10 blood, 5 willpower
Stewart: No damage, 12 blood, 4 willpower
Richard: No damage, 11 blood 4 willpower

The armored truck is taking the closest exit out of the parking lot. The road it connects to hits the highway after about a few hundred feet, but keeps on going. There's no traffic on the road next to the theater, though the lights of the highway can be seen from where you are and you can hear some vehicles on it.

Put any blood point or willpower expenditures in your post, and they'll take effect during that post, as long as your character does it before he acts in the post. Celerity requires activation the turn before you intend to use it, but your actions will come all at the same time (since this is PbP and not real-time). We'll be using this initiative model for the time being, with special exceptions for those who hold their actions or special occasions. I'll post the Sabbat's actions when everyone's made one round of posts, describe the obstacles and difficulties and so on and so forth.

Let's begin!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Harmonic Drake on

Posts

  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    "If you're stayin' for the show, better get out now!" Logen roars to those in the bed. He glaces at the rear-view mirror to see who's jumping out of the back, his hands tightening on the steering wheel in anticipation. He'll wait a few more seconds; then the hell with 'em.

    ===========
    Logen is deferring his action to allow for people to get out of the car. Once they have done so he's going to activate his celerity and pursue the truck. (This assumes, of course, that we are directly behind the truck and not on an intercept path).

    belligerent on
  • Options
    FeygorFeygor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Stein rips the door open and jumps out. He ducks down and waits for the van to take off. After the chase starts he rushes up to the theater gun drawn. He slows down as he approaches to take in as much of the scene as he can. Looking around to see how exposed it is, what he is working with on the outside, and how bad the mess really is.

    Feygor on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As the Sabbat speed of, Noah pulls out his revolver, his form shimmering for a second as his disguise adjusts itself to something that wasn't there a second before. His talons don't really make grasping the gun easy, but they do make holding onto the cab of the Ford much easier, his nails locking onto the car with ease. "What a mess," he mutters as he takes in the visible devastation, certain that the inside of the theater would be far worse. "Amateurs."

    Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jason leaps from the truck and joins Stein in rushing the theater. He draws his Silver Colt .45 from his hip holster in one smooth motion and cocks the hammer. "Looks like we're on damage control", Jason mutters.

    ==========
    Jason activates Heightened Senses. Will roll perception, etc. if needed.

    Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Crevan jumps into the passenger seat, his brow raised in slight concern as he sees the flailing doors of the fan speeding away. Habitually , he looks down and checks each of his revolvers to make sure each cylinder is fully loaded. Even though he was sure he checked before the mission, the simple action eases his mind as chaos ensues around him.

    Egos on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    As the others exit the vehicle and make for the theater, Stewart occupies his time with the surrounding exterior, checking for any signs of life among the mess outside the building.
    Activating heightened senses as well, checking for signs of life mostly.

    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Harmonic DrakeHarmonic Drake Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Once Jason, Daniel and Crevan adjust themselves, Logen takes off like a bat out of hell, tires squealing as the truck takes off after the fleeing Sabbat. When the coterie reaches the road, Logen notices that they avoid the merge-on for the highway and instead stick to the city streets. One of the brutes lets off with a machine gun, not pointed at anything in particular. Stewart can see that the Sabbat in the back of the truck seem to be feeding on the humans they stole from the theater, and that there's a significant amount of them left.

    The truck is about ten yards away, still within shooting range. There are no cars on the side of the road, but the armored truck doesn't seem to mind causing havoc while they're being chased. The doors were swinging wildly with the driving of the Sabbat, though there were openings for shots.

    ----

    Back at the theater, Jason and Daniel find a total mess. Blood smeared on the walls and floor, bodies lying haphazardly all over the place, broken glass littering the debris-strewn lobby. Sparks shoot from a neon light that was busted open, and Jason, listening intently, can hear shuffled movement inside the right wing of the theater. Someone or something is still there. It doesn't seem to be moving very fast, and it's out of sight around the corner, down the hallway towards the theaters. There's also the sound of bones crunching, as if being snapped between teeth.

    It's only a matter of time before the police arrive, either due to the chase or the riotous noise during the Sabbat's attack.

    Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Logen lets out a roar of frustration and steps on the gas more fiercely, attempting to close the gap between the vehicles. His fingers grip the wheel tightly.

    "Well, what 'cha waitin' for, an invitation? Send those fuckers back to the mud!"

    Logen wonders if he's going to be able to catch up in time.

    ====

    Logen will accelerate the truck to close the distance to the armored car. His idea is to "PIT" the armored truck if he gets enough leverage.
    200px-Pit_maneuver.svg.png

    belligerent on
  • Options
    FeygorFeygor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Back at the theater Daniel will level his gun and slowly make his way towards the sound. He steps carefully over the blood on the ground and tries to split his attention between what needs to be done in the future to take care of this massacre and the present threat. He waits for his ally Jason before turning the corner to the threatening sound.

    "Ready?"

    Feygor on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jason grips his .45 with both hands and mentally reminds himself to aim for the head. "Yeah, I've got your back, let's do this."

    Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Crevan lowers his window and carefully aims for speeding vans back wheel.

    ====
    obviously spending this turn aiming

    Egos on
  • Options
    Harmonic DrakeHarmonic Drake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    (Just making an out-of-character bump to get the thread back so my players know the game isn't dead.)

    Harmonic Drake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sign In or Register to comment.