As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hitchhiker's Guide to Boston/PAX East - Updated 3/14

13»

• Options
    TwiztidTwiztid Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I threw this together real quick last night. It was all the spots I could think of off the top of my head. I'll add more as I think of it.

PAX East Food and Booze Map

Twiztid on
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You forgot Trader Joe's
    Brookline - 1317 Beacon Street, Brookline
    Cambridge - 748 Memorial Dr, Cambridge
    Back Bay - 899 Boylston Street, Boston (Literally across the street from the Hynes)
    (Brookline & Cambridge have booze, Back Bay does not)

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Updated the OP. I made a front page and did up the Community Events section.

Rdr on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Twiztid wrote: »
    Little tip for those that might be wandering about Boylston street. All of the streets on the north side of Boylston, (the Hynes is the southside of Boylston), are in alphabetical order from east to west.

In case you happen to get lost over on Arlington St for some reason, just follow the Boylston back alphabetically to Gloucester St. The Hynes is right across the street.

Also, Gloucester is pronounced Glawster here. You ask someone where Glaw-cester street is, you'll just get the hairy eye.

Ya know...someone should put together a pronunciation guide for our Boston visitors.

Some basics:

Suffolk = SUF-uhk
    Gloucester = GLAW-stuh
    Worcester = WUSS-tuh
    Rochester = RAW-chess-tuh
    Dorchester = DOAH-chess-tuh
    Peabody = PEE-buh-dee
    Haverhill = HAY-vril
    Taunton = TAHN-tun
    Roxbury = RAWKS-buh-ree (people will still recognize it if you say RAWKS-bear-ee, but you're likely to hear it the other way frequently ) (also apply this rule to Newbury)
    Plymouth = PLIM-uth
    Quincy = QWIN-zee (people will still recognize it if you say QWINS-see, but you're likely to hear it the other way frequently)
    Bowdoin = BOW-dun

and a local for me: Amherst = AM-urst

Those are all the major ones I can think of, just apply the rule of the Boston accent to everything else (e.g. Charlestown becomes CHAHLS-tun, Harvard becomes HAH-vuhd, etc)

Funny thing, the vast majority of people walking around down here don't even have the Boston accent. Maybe if you made it down to South Boston, I don't know. You'd probably just look like an a-hole dropping your Rs to fit in instead of just saying "Har-vard" like a normal person.

Also probably unlikely that anyone who doesn't know how to pronounce 99% of the above will need to refer to them.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USMA0046

For your perusal. Bring an umbrella and dress accordingly.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    ninja_bladeninja_blade Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ahhhhh noooo.......... It was getting so warm.... looks like rain so far for pax

ninja_blade on
    karate here. [taps his head] Karate here. [taps his heart] Karate never here. [points to his belt] Understand?
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    10 day forecasts can't be trusted, especially in the northeast. I won't take stock in it for at least 4 more days.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Next Mon/Tues is when I'll be checking out the weather since I get in Boston on Wednesday.

I've always found 7+ day forecasts to be very incorrect.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Big thanks to Realisticradical for getting the ball rolling on some of the pages that remain.

I'll add to what he has done and get the remaining pages finished late Saturday night when I pull an all nighter. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    realisticradicalrealisticradical Durham, NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Thanks.

Most of the stuff I'm writing is simply off the top of my head and from personal experience. Turns out I'm a local.

realisticradical on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Man, I'm going to be really sad when next year to have more people they move PAX East to the new convention center in South Boston and all of this has to be rewritten.

Also because there's nothing out there and we'll all get shot when we try to leave at 2am.

realisticradical on
  • Options
    theboomiestheboomies Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    So my buddy and I are staying at the Hyatt (right across the river) and wouldn't mind having dinner and a few drinks at a bar near the Hynes Center. Does anybody have an idea as to if there are bars and restaurants around the center, or if you have to go to a different area of Boston for stuff like that.

Thanks a bunch.

theboomies on
  • Options
    ayersrjayersrj Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    There are a TON of bars and restaurants around Hynes and the Pru.

Boylston St. has a significant number of them and one block over is Newbury St. with a bunch too. Really depends on how much money you're interesting in spending.

If you're thinking super nice dinner, Abe and Louie's is fantastic but VERY pricey. ($30-$40 steaks..) The Summer Shack is right down the street and has solid seafood. If you're living on the cheap, you might just want to hop into the Prudential Center itself. Maybe hit Legal Seafood.

For drinks there's quite a few dives like the Pour House, McGreevey's and Whiskey's. A few more places that feel more upscale like Lir and Vox. Bukowski's is big with the beer fans. All these places are about a 5 minute walk from the show.

If you're willing to go 10-15 minutes, you can find a TON more.

ayersrj on
    WarioWareDIY FC - Ron - 0990-4234-4719
    LetsGoTech.png
  • Options
    theboomiestheboomies Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Excellent, thanks a lot for the reply.

theboomies on
  • Options
    ToasterFaerieToasterFaerie Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    ahhhhh noooo.......... It was getting so warm.... looks like rain so far for pax

That's too bad. This weekend was so nice! Though it has been said, "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait a minute."

I'll still suggest this activity for people coming in early or in case we get a clear morning anyway: Go watch the sunrise. A great place is the warfs by the New England Aquarium, then you can say hi to the sea lions in the oudoors tank too. You'll be looking over the inner Boston Harbor and you can also see planes taking off from Logan across the water. It's pretty sick if you've stayed up all night or you decided to get up early. Also, it's free.

ToasterFaerie on
    Live fast and prosper
    3DS: 0044-3334-2157
    Steam: 3amFriday
    Backloggery: ToasterFaerie
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So I'm going to put some more time into this, is there something specific people want updated?

Right now I'm seeing mostly questions about where to eat.

realisticradical on
  • Options
    EvilTurnipEvilTurnip Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    I have a question about the bus/transit, which I didn't see answered, but I may have missed it.

I'm planning on parking my vehicle at the hotel without in/out privileges because it's cheaper, and getting a weekly transit pass for $15.

My question is where can you get bus tickets/passes?

The MBTA website lists a bunch of districts and what places sell tickets, but not being from Boston, I don't know where any of these districts are, and which one is close to my hotel.

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/sales_locations/

The common thing I noticed is that 7-11s seem to have passes for sale, so finding one of those might be the way to go.

Is there a map of Boston with the districts marked on it, or can someone direct me better?
    My hotel is Le Meridien, 20 Sidney Street.

EvilTurnip on
  • Options
    alltern8alltern8 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    My cohorts and I are driving up from Philadelphia, and are totally unfamiliar with Boston. We're staying at the Sheraton, which wants $40 a day to park. Does anyone know of any other less expensive parking options in and around the convention center, which are also safe? It's okay if it's a few blocks away.

alltern8 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    For EvilTurnip. The charlie card that you received along with your pass will work on the bus and subway. Your best bet to get to the convention center is to either take the #1 bus up Mass Ave (easiest way). Or walk to either the Central or Kendall Red Line stops and take the train to Hynes (requires switching trains at Park Street).

You can fill your charlie card on the bus the first time you get on, or at the airport, or at just about every train stop, or online. If you don't have a charlie card yet just take a quick walk to one of the red line stops and ask one of the attendants.

realisticradical on
  • Options
    danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are video cameras allowed?

danielofthekings on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, I'm an idiot. I missed the thing about the weekly pass.

There seems to be something special about the weekly pass that they don't let you just buy it online and people have said on here that you can't get them added to a charlie card and you need a paper ticket. You should be able to buy one at any of the underground subway stops because they have attendants there. Neither Central or Kendall are far from your hotel so I'd recommend a quick walk to one of them.

realisticradical on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    alltern8 wrote: »
    My cohorts and I are driving up from Philadelphia, and are totally unfamiliar with Boston. We're staying at the Sheraton, which wants $40 a day to park. Does anyone know of any other less expensive parking options in and around the convention center, which are also safe? It's okay if it's a few blocks away.

http://boston.bestparking.com/index.php

And that's the last time I'm posting this.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    EvilTurnipEvilTurnip Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for the quick response, realisticradical.

The weekly passes seemed to be the best choice, rather than the charlie card, since we might use the transit system to do some sightseeing.

Also, for VisionOfClarity, that parking map is excellent.

EvilTurnip on
  • Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    EvilTurnip wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response, realisticradical.

The weekly passes seemed to be the best choice, rather than the charlie card, since we might use the transit system to do some sightseeing.

Also, for VisionOfClarity, that parking map is excellent.

You can put the weekly pass onto the CharlieCard.

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks Kilonum. That's what I though but since the MBTA doesn't allow you to buy them online (unlike everything else you can put on your charlie card) I was confused.

Having a monthly pass means I've used a kiosk fewer than ten times.

realisticradical on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Regarding the Charlie card that came with the passes: I ordered badges for 3 people, we're all going together. Got only one Charlie card in the mail. Can I put enough money on that to pay for entry of the 3 of us, is that allowed? Or will they each need to get their own cards? We're planning on using the subway only.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    BallisticChickBallisticChick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Regarding the Charlie card that came with the passes: I ordered badges for 3 people, we're all going together. Got only one Charlie card in the mail. Can I put enough money on that to pay for entry of the 3 of us, is that allowed? Or will they each need to get their own cards? We're planning on using the subway only.

You can put as much money as you want on the Charlie card, you'll just have to tap the card once per person to get into the station. As long as you are all travelling together that should be fine, having just one card would only be an issue if you weren't together when getting on the T.

On that note, if anyone wants to grab mine at PAX, I have an extra card (I'm local so my friends and I all already have them).

BallisticChick on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DHS Odium: Yes. As long as you're using stored money and not a weekly pass you can use one card for multiple people. You'll figure out the exact procedure quickly enough. I think it's Tap, Hand the card back, go through, rinse, repeat.

If you want individual charlie cards they're free, just ask for one at any train station. (It's good to ask an MBTA employee though and not just a random Bostonian)

realisticradical on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Thanks again, realisticradical.

I didn't have the time I wanted to this weekend. Insane work hours. :(

Thanks for working on the site and answering questions here.

After PAX and sometime in April I'll get with you and we'll go over some plans for the version 2 of this thing and do it up right since there will be more time to work on it. :)

Rdr on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    DHS Odium: Yes. As long as you're using stored money and not a weekly pass you can use one card for multiple people. You'll figure out the exact procedure quickly enough. I think it's Tap, Hand the card back, go through, rinse, repeat.

If you want individual charlie cards they're free, just ask for one at any train station. (It's good to ask an MBTA employee though and not just a random Bostonian)

Not sure how keen the MBTA would be on people sharing weekly passes, if people were thinking that. Not sure how officials would be able to tell, though.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Not sure how keen the MBTA would be on people sharing weekly passes, if people were thinking that. Not sure how officials would be able to tell, though.

daily/weekly/monthly passes have a time delay between when you use them and when you can use them again. If you try to hand your pass to the person going through the turnstile behind you they will get a "pass already used" message. The same doesn't happen for stored value ($) because you just get charged an extra $1.70.

realisticradical on
  • Options
    jtark31jtark31 Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    THAT WOULD BE A VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY BAD IDEA! you would get jumped in five second if you wore a shirt like that in bean town.

jtark31 on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    *scratches head*

realisticradical on
This discussion has been closed.