As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm in an emotional shock

exmelloexmello Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
There is probably a ton of backstory I could write, but I just feel too much like shit to write it.

This morning I woke up to an long email from my friend disowning me or I guess dumping me from my whole (and only) group of friends. I had noticed they had been a little awkward around me lately and they had ditched me a couple times, but I was in denial of anything I saw.

This is a group of 5 or 6 friends who are the only friends I have had for the past year and a half. I lived with 3 of them for a year until I moved out and bought my own condo so I could have some personal space.

We had a bar night every Tuesday, movie night every Sunday, and until recently, I was hanging out with them just watching TV 3-4 nights a week. Now I have none of that.

Do you have any idea what it feels like to type "I have no friends" now?

Add on to this, I just got dumped on Tuesday by the girl I was dating. That part doesn't even seem like a big deal compared to this anymore. We were only dating for 3 weeks. It's just adding on to the hurt and rejection.

Also add on the fact that I've had an online friend for a over a year. It was a girl I tried dating, but she moved on to women, and also moved on to another city. We had a tendency to argue and make up all the time, but we were really good friends. She was the one person I could talk to about ANYTHING. If I had a shit day, I would come home and talk to her about it.

After getting dumped by my friends, she is the one I would be talking to right now. But we had a big fight 2 weeks ago and aren't talking anymore. I have no one to go to H/A.

I'm really expecting to wake up to no job next week. I shouldn't even joke about that, but that's the way things are going.

What should I do? I'm tempted to take a week off work and go home to visit my parents... but I'll never find new friends if I hole myself up.

I'm soooo fucking glad I don't have any alcohol in the house, this could turn me alcoholic.

exmello on

• Options
    AstrocookieAstrocookie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Moving to a new city could help, and give a fresh start. If there is nothing left for you where you are now, then it's best to move on.

Astrocookie on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I know it should be the least of my worries right now, but how am I supposed to date if I don't have a life anymore? I have no life to talk about with anyone.

For that matter how do I even make new friends when I'm a loser with no friends.

I wish I could just pack up and start over in another city.... but I love my job too much.

For reference, I'm 26 and have solid salary based job with good benefits.

exmello on
  • Options
    AstrocookieAstrocookie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    What is your job

Astrocookie on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    meetup.com

I moved to a new city, with no friends, no social life. This site was a life saver. Look for volunteer meet ups, meet ups about your hobby, or stuff you would always want to try.

Can I ask why your whole group decided to just dump you?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What hobbies do you have? Maybe you can join a club or group and make friends that way.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't have any advise, only options:

If you do visit your parents, you might meet some people you haven't see in a long time. People change, and you might end up hanging out with people you hated as a teen.

You could "just" go to a club and start talking to people. I've made a lot of friends by just chatting away to people at the bar. But it depends how confident you are.

You could travel to cons (comics or whatever you are into), get tickets to some festivals and gigs if you want to feel a little safer socially; everyone there will like what you like by default.

You could move. But surely thats the last option?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Before any of this, you might want to figure out what the hell you did in order to be kicked out of a group.

I mean, the dating thing is no big deal, shit happens, people don't jive. But to be kicked out of a group? There's more to it than what you're telling us.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here's what I was sent, for reference:
    Hi Danny,

I am sending you this message with a heavy heart. Not many people like having to be the bearer of bad news, but it is simply unfair to you to keep going as it is. You deserve to know the truth - you are adult enough to take it.
    I don't want to walk around an issue so important, so I will be blunt as I can be. You should be surounded by people who trust you, and truely appreciate your company. I do not believe that you have found that yet. I tell you this becuase in my situation, I would rather know the truth, than be coddled to avoid an awkward situation.

This "awkward situation" has been around for a while, and I feel it my duty to set it straight. It's unfair to us, and most of all to you. I hope you do not misconstrue this message as being anything but in your best interest. The one thing I hope for is to be around people that truely love me for who I am - which is somehting I think you are missing.
    I am sorry for having to be the bearer of this news, but I hope that you can look at this as an opportunity - to move on to find people that love you. If you keep on this path, you will only find emptyness and people that do not appreciate you for who you are - a smart, funny and engaging person.

I hope that you find Happiness somewhere, but I do not think that you can find it in us. Goodbye, and have a great life. I will send this to you on MSN, just in case you don't check this email. Nor will I block you - I will listen to what you have to say, and answer any questions you have. I enjoyed our relationship during college, so I feel I owe you that much.
    Regards,

and then
    There is a couple more points I'd like to make, please read them!

1) If you want/need to talk about any of this, please let me know, I will be OK with talking to you in person about this. I can't promise I'll be too much help, but I will definately do what I can.
    2) I apologise for doing this over email/MSN, I know is cowardly and unfair to you, but this was the only way I could say this.

All I could respond with was:
    I've noticed you had a problem with me lately and I've never really understood it. I thought you were a cool friend and I never understood what I did to piss you off. I kinda saw something like this coming from you, but I never never in my life thought I would be disowned by the group as a whole.
    There must have been some serious bashing behind my back to get everyone to hate me. I would like to talk about this at some point Andrew, but honestly I just have to come to terms with it first.

exmello on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Before any of this, you might want to figure out what the hell you did in order to be kicked out of a group.

I mean, the dating thing is no big deal, shit happens, people don't jive. But to be kicked out of a group? There's more to it than what you're telling us.

I agree; It's pretty unusual for a friendship group to actually go out of their way to remove somebody. Either a) there's something that you've done and aren't telling us about which you might want to correct, or b) your friends were silly geese, and you should see this opportunity to move on as a very good thing.

Edit: Okay, that e-mail confuses me. Sounds like you're being evicted from a cult, almost. What is the "path" that you're currently on?

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't have any advise, only options:

If you do visit your parents, you might meet some people you haven't see in a long time. People change, and you might end up hanging out with people you hated as a teen.

You could "just" go to a club and start talking to people. I've made a lot of friends by just chatting away to people at the bar. But it depends how confident you are.

You could travel to cons (comics or whatever you are into), get tickets to some festivals and gigs if you want to feel a little safer socially; everyone there will like what you like by default.

You could move. But surely thats the last option?

I've thought about this stuff before, but don't know how to do it. I'm not a very social person in the first place. The thought of going to a club alone is terrifying.

My parents retired up north in cottage country, not where I grew up.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Burnage wrote: »

I agree; It's pretty unusual for a friendship group to actually go out of their way to remove somebody. Either a) there's something that you've done and aren't telling us about which you might want to correct, or b) your friends were silly geese, and you should see this opportunity to move on as a very good thing.

I think they've been trying to kick me out for a good few months by ignoring me and not inviting me places, but I didn't clue in and kept showing up.

I really have no clue what I did.

Oh and please please, no one joke that his letter sounds gay just because he used the phrase "relationship in college". He's talking about how we were better friends then. I don't need to deal with you guys psychoanalyzing my sexuality too with all the shit I'm already going through.
    meetup.com

I checked this a few months back and it's not really used much in my area.

exmello on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Im curious as to why your "friends" did this...

Edit: Oops, beat!

rfalias on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's bizarre. They didn't explain anything. "You can't be happy with us" is bullshit nonsense, they're making an excuse for you to use not telling you what they think.
    What the fuck is this?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It might not be a specific event, but just a way you are that doesn't mesh well with the rest of the group? I say this because of those lines in the email:

If you look at yourself and how you behave around other people honestly, could you find some of your traits or behaviors to be undesireable to other people? There has to be a reason why they would go out of their way to do that. A bad temper? A habit of teasing people about embarassing stuff? Having a habit of saying things that could be considerered "Way out of line"

Or maybe it's just a matter of different lifestyles or mentality and they don't feel like you fit in with them anymore.

Your best option is to ask him to give you more explanations. His email is way too vague.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Edit: Okay, that e-mail confuses me. Sounds like you're being evicted from a cult, almost. What is the "path" that you're currently on?

The only things I can think of is that I tend to be the shy one in the group and do the least talking. Sometime I play with my phone around other people and seem to ignore them or something.

I was the newest one in the group as-is, so since I didn't have as many stories to share with them, when I talked about my own history and outside like I think they thought I was bragging about stuff and had an ego.

Things I did to wrong them? Well 6 months ago we did live together and sometimes I just stayed in my room while everyone was hanging because I needed my space.

I know that at least three of my friends were pretty religious and the rest of us weren't, but we just tried to not talk about it around each other. I'm atheist but keep it to myself and don't judge others. I really hope that isn't part of it.

I really think they just didn't like me.

exmello on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Am I the only one that's kinda creeped out by the email?(Also, you might want to remove the email address).

LIke someone said, it sounds culty/like someone's breaking up with you. I take it you're a guy? I have never met another guy that would go to those lenghts and the way it was said to cut contact. I mean, i guess it's nice in away that they reached out to you, but sheesh, it sounds really dramatic-see? so dramatic that I had to italize it!

But anyways, I still think something is missing. Maybe you know what it is, maybe you don't. There's that old joke that there's always a creepy guy in your group of friends, and if you can't think of who that guy is, then it's probably you. Maybe that was the case?

edit-Not to make a blanket statement or anything, but if some of them are 'religious' maybe that's it. They wanted to come out nice and straightforward in breaking contact with you and just ended up being really, really weird.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    exmello wrote: »
    Things I did to wrong them? Well 6 months ago we did live together and sometimes I just stayed in my room while everyone was hanging because I needed my space.

So here's a possibly relevant question; why did you stop living with them?

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

So here's a possibly relevant question; why did you stop living with them?

I had enough money to buy a place instead of throwing away money each month to rent. I also wanted to try dating more, and I felt I would be more comfortable bring a girl back to a bachelor pad than a party house.

I had one roommate who was a little bossy (not the one who sent the email) and we got on each others nerves a bit. I decided that it was easier to be friends when not living together. We were better friends than roommates.

My cat knocked over a cup on this roommates desk and ruined his $100 keyboard. I immediately bought him a new one. I was kind of pissed at the way hey treated me when that happened, but I thought I would be the bigger man, buy the keyboard and started planning on getting my own place where bullshit like that wouldn't get in the way of our friendship.

exmello on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm also fairly shy, and I once lived with a group of tight-knit friends who were very put off by my staying in my room when they were hanging out (sometimes because I needed space, but more often because I had no money, while they all seemed to have plenty of it to spend on going out). I ended up moving out because I felt awkward, and a few months later I received a somewhat similar-sounding letter (although they had written the letter as they were worried I wouldn't pay my share of the bills as I was still on the lease. I did pay my rent and paid an equal share of the utility bills, and was a little offended that they would think I wouldn't). By similar-sounding, I mean very vague and faux-apologetic.

I'd just bet on it being a similar thing; you didn't fit in, and they were made uncomfortable by your silence. I agree with Improvolone that the reasons given are bullshit nonsense, and I hate it when people try to make it sound as if they have your interests at heart, which they clearly don't.

All I can say is, sorry, and I hope you find better friends in the future! I have some fantastic friends now (and I did before, too) so clearly my personality isn't a problem.

Janson on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    could it be possible that this is all coming mainly from Andrew?

not that it'd make a difference in terms of your standing in the group/cult, but if the others don't feel as strongly maybe you'd have them as friends on a less regular basis?

Sam on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The email you got translates roughly to "we'd have a better time if you weren't around, not because you're some kind of asshole, but none of us really likes hanging out with you." They're breaking up with you because they don't want to keep lying to you, and they hope you'll both be happier in the future, even if it's going to suck now.

If you really want specifics about why they're breaking up with you, I guess you can ask what's his face. In the end it's going to come down to "we didn't work out, good luck in the future." Time to make some friends with people who actually enjoy your company, rather than tolerate it because they don't want to hurt your feelings. Maybe befriend some people on these boards, if you can't through work or via some other hobby (running club, cooking classes, whatever).

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Janson wrote: »
    I'm also fairly shy, and I once lived with a group of tight-knit friends who were very put off by my staying in my room when they were hanging out (sometimes because I needed space, but more often because I had no money, while they all seemed to have plenty of it to spend on going out). I ended up moving out because I felt awkward, and a few months later I received a somewhat similar-sounding letter (although they had written the letter as they were worried I wouldn't pay my share of the bills as I was still on the lease. I did pay my rent and paid an equal share of the utility bills, and was a little offended that they would think I wouldn't). By similar-sounding, I mean very vague and faux-apologetic.

I'd just bet on it being a similar thing; you didn't fit in, and they were made uncomfortable by your silence. I agree with Improvolone that the reasons given are bullshit nonsense, and I hate it when people try to make it sound as if they have your interests at heart, which they clearly don't.

All I can say is, sorry, and I hope you find better friends in the future! I have some fantastic friends now (and I did before, too) so clearly my personality isn't a problem.

This is probably exactly it. I'm always the most forgettable person in any group so no one ever makes any effort to keep in contact with me. I don't have any of my college or university or highschool friends anymore. Everyone I knew from all my old activities are merely Facebook friends now.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The email you got translates roughly to "we'd have a better time if you weren't around, not because you're some kind of asshole, but none of us really likes hanging out with you." They're breaking up with you because they don't want to keep lying to you, and they hope you'll both be happier in the future, even if it's going to suck now.

If you really want specifics about why they're breaking up with you, I guess you can ask what's his face. In the end it's going to come down to "we didn't work out, good luck in the future." Time to make some friends with people who actually enjoy your company, rather than tolerate it because they don't want to hurt your feelings. Maybe befriend some people on these boards, if you can't through work or via some other hobby (running club, cooking classes, whatever).

Very blunt of you to say, but that's exactly how I understood it myself. I didn't come here to ask how to repair the friendship, because I don't want to be around people who clearly don't want me around either. I just have no clue how to move on.

exmello on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I don't know what you did, but that guy is a goddamn coward. What the fuck kind of e-mail was that anyway? Just a bunch of apologies and babbling without saying a damn thing. I'd slap him in the face if I saw him because he doesn't deserve a solid punch.

Go to meetup and get together with some people who share your hobbies. Problem solved!

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    They weren't really your friends, because that email sounds like they are extremely superficial and condescending.

You're better off without them. Especially if they're into the whole groupthink thing.

edit: also they're fucking cowards who have to have one guy send a fucking email of all things.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's bizarre. They didn't explain anything. "You can't be happy with us" is bullshit nonsense, they're making an excuse for you to use not telling you what they think.
    What the fuck is this?

Yeah, they really want to say "we're not happy with you", but they don't want to hurt his feeeeeeeeeeeeeeelings. So of course, evasive sounding bullshit results, because they're covering up what they want to say with... evasive bullshit.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I love how he says he's gonna be blunt and then proceeds to be really vague and cryptic.

to hell with those jerks.

Red Rover on
    This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Very blunt of you to say, but that's exactly how I understood it myself. I didn't come here to ask how to repair the friendship, because I don't want to be around people who clearly don't want me around either. I just have no clue how to move on.

Fair enough. Honestly, this would fuck anyone up, and it happened to come at a spectacularly inopportune time for you. You don't come across as a goob here though, so chalk it up to lack of chemistry with these particular people.

Go through your hobbies. Go through a list of some hobbies or skills you'd like to pick up. Socialize within those activities. For example, check out the Games thread in this forum and see if one of your favourites has a thread and start participating (either in the thread or in the game with the forumers). Take a cooking class, or do a cycling class or something, and try to find a class with people around your age.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    if its any consolation, that douche can't spell to save his life. I have trouble believing he went to college.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    if its any consolation, that douche can't spell to save his life. I have trouble believing he went to college.

He's very intelligent and also works a developer but for another company. It was 3 am when he wrote that and we just got back from the bar at 2. I don't know how much he had to drink.

exmello on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sounds like you're better off without these "friends". However much it hurts now, it's for the best for both parties it sounds like.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

He's very intelligent and also works a developer but for another company. It was 3 am when he wrote that and we just got back from the bar at 2. I don't know how much he had to drink.

Wait, what? You'd actually been with him an hour before he wrote that?

Either call him and ask him what's actually going on, or just move on - because it really sounds like you'd have a hard time finding a group of friends worse than these.

Burnage on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

They drop you like a bad habit and you still defend them. STOP.

rfalias on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's a really bizarre series of things to write. Seems like if you're going to unfriend someone IRL you'd give a concrete reason. You're an alcoholic, you're a sociopath, you're a mooch...these are concrete reasons. I don't know, I can't speak with authority on the behavior of anyone else on this type of thing, but if I were going to write a "Dear John-Friend" letter, I'd specify what had ruffled everyone up. Being vague in writing probably means their reasons are vague or ill-formed, or they're ashamed to say them out loud. "We don't want you to hang round us

Seems like any time humans get together in a group of three or more there has to be an "out" person, whether that person (in a resonable sense) deserves it or not. The group establishes solidarity by picking one person and being a dick to them. Maybe you had the bad luck of being selected as the "out" guy.

Have you considered the possibility that Andrew is the only one who has a problem with you, and he's really not speaking on behalf of the others? Is Andrew one of the religious friends? Perhaps he's a closet bigot.

There is also the not likely but still non-zero chance that Andrew is a more-or-less sociopath and he just did this for a good laugh.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    rfalias wrote: »

They drop you like a bad habit and you still defend them. STOP.

Well he isn't defending him so much as being honest. But let me add to the o_O at him writing it immediately after a night out.

that majorly ups the weirdness factor.

Sam on
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Talk to the other guys. See of they feel this way

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    whether they do or not, he needs new friends.

Sam on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Wait, what? You'd actually been with him an hour before he wrote that?

Either call him and ask him what's actually going on, or just move on - because it really sounds like you'd have a hard time finding a group of friends worse than these.

I think either

(A) I was invited out to the bar with everyone for one last drink before he sent the email. It did seem weird that more people showed up than usual and a couple friends showed up really late.

or ( B ) Billy invited me out and when Andrew saw me there he thought "Wtf who invited him? Doesn't he get that we don't like him?" so he sent the email.

Edit:
    I asked billy, it seems andrew told everyone what he sent:
    Danny says:
    I have to ask, are you in on this? Andrew was really vague. Was he speaking on everyone's behalf, or did I do something to wrong him specifically?
    billy (i no longer drink enough to think you're witty) says:
    i really don't know. i definitely didn't agree to andrew saying all that stuff
    Danny says:
    I thought maybe you invited me out for one last drink before he sent it
    I'm trying to figure out if I have any friends left. Can you be honest and tell me who likes me and who doesn't? I know Andrew has been ignoring me for quite a few months, but I don't know who else feels this way.
    billy (i no longer drink enough to think you're witty) says:
    haha no i didnt
    well, i really dont know
    i can ask around

exmello on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    See what's weird about this is normally when people don't like you, they do it by avoiding you and sending concrete "hints". This means specifically not including you in such activities as bar nights, and not answering the phone/returning messages when you call. I have never heard of this kind of one last drink bullshit.

I don't know maybe they're churchie types that never socialized outside those circles and have a guilt trip about ostracizing someone.

Sam on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Either way they come off as creepy and honestly life will be better without passive aggressive people like that

FyreWulff on